LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

Tax deductible

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.
In the United States, your donations are tax deductible.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Is IV doxy at 200mg/day same as oral?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is IV doxy at 200mg/day same as oral?
wtl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wtl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought that the reason to use IV over oral is because you can go higher dose. But I now just noticed that the doctor prescribed a total of 200 mg (2 bags of 100mg each bag) for the IV.

The llmd is very reputable. So I am puzzled.

Should I double check? This is costing a lot of money, that is, compared to oral doxy at the same dose.

Posts: 822 | From midwest | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roger1700
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roger1700     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure someone with better knowledge will reply but what I do know is that IV gets to the bloodstream so the med doesn't pass through the stomach, therefore the absorption of the Dox is much better...

I'm sure they will explain it better...

Posts: 120 | From Evansville Indiana | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fatigued15
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fatigued15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IV Doxy gave my daughter her life back. Oral doxy did nothing.
Posts: 488 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terminator
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27328

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terminator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
doxy has excellent bioavailibility for most people, meaning there shouldnt be much difference. fatigued15 are you sure they didnt up the dose or add another abx, or pass from twice a day to once a day (hence doubling the dose per intake)?

That would probably explain the difference.

i take 600mg of doxy a day, 300mg BID. I cant see why I would pay to get doxy IV.

--------------------
We will win

Posts: 135 | From California | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know a lady who's recovering (who is here on the boards sometimes) who took oral "doxy" for Years, with varying success.
But when she went with a 'port' per the recommendation of a top N.Y. LLMD, & started IV doxycycline...
WOW! A whole new (effective) drug. She made Great gains.
I've heard the same with azithromycin (Zith) & metronidazole (Flagyl).

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say that IV Doxy is stronger than oral Doxy. I've taken both. My LLMD prescribed 200 a day, I did 300 a day. It can be toxic if you take too much.

Also, when I took IV Flagyl, I only took 500 a day as opposed to 1500 a day oral. The IV Flagyl was so much more effective, I felt.

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wtl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wtl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all. You made me feel a bit easier now.
Posts: 822 | From midwest | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maradona
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maradona     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every drug is better IV when you can take it .Whatever dose you gat that concentration you will have in blood for some time.Thats diferent with orals to diferent people no one knows for sure the amount of oral absorbed .To know that you have to mesure the drug level in blod ore tissue.Rarely any LLMD ore MD check for the level of drug on blood.That 's the reason whay IV is much better when you can efford.
Posts: 482 | From Nebraska | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement

© 1993-2019 The Lyme Disease Network of New Jersey, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Use of the LymeNet Site is subject to the Terms and Conditions.