LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

Tax deductible

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.
In the United States, your donations are tax deductible.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Add tetracycline or wait???

 - UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Add tetracycline or wait???
Member # 27456

Icon 11 posted      Profile for ryansmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DS, was on Rifampin for bart for 3 weeks, herxed so bad we thought he was having a heart attack. Doc said stay off antibiotics for 4 days. Did that, restarted Rifampin at half dose for one week-where we're at right now.

Here's the dilemma. Doc said if symptoms of Bart weren't better in a month, add in Tetracycline with Rifampin Son is really not better mentally, but should we give Rif more time or add in the Tetracycline now. I know that something is dying off because of the herx, but I want to go forward with getting him better.

What would you do??????

Posts: 28 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joalo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up for help.

Sick since January 1985. Misdiagnosed for 20 years. Tested CDC positive October 2005. Treating since April 2006.

Posts: 3228 | From Somewhere west of the Mississippi | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go forward at the rate the child is capable of enduring the reaction and based on the doctors recommendations.

Do not move forward for the pure sake of moving forward as that is a big mistake with Lyme Disease therapy (and co-infections).

Tetracycline works well, and can be incredibly tough to tolerate for some initially, that's been my experience, but the difficulty subsides after a month I'd say. 2 weeks is when the Herxheimer reaction appears, almost on the dot for me.

I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.


Posts: 4155 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply

HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement

© 1993-2019 The Lyme Disease Network of New Jersey, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Use of the LymeNet Site is subject to the Terms and Conditions.

Powered by UBB.classic™ 6.7.3

Home | Flash Discussion | Support Groups | On-Line Library
Legal Resources | Medical Abstracts | Newsletter | Books
Pictures | Site Search | Links | Help/Questions
About LymeNet | Webmaster