LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

Tax deductible

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.
In the United States, your donations are tax deductible.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Trileptal, Lamictal, Ativan

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Trileptal, Lamictal, Ativan
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone had their LLMD put them on Trileptal, Lamictal and Ativan all at the same time on their first visit?

During the visit we talked about being forgetful, losing my temper and panicking when I forget things but this group of drugs all have drowsiness as a side effect. I am never going to be able to feed myself.

I tried the Trileptal, and had tingling all over, all night long. I did not sleep most of the night and when I did, I had night mares and was yelling in my sleep. So that drug is not going in my mouth again!!

Just taking 1/2 of a 25 mg Lamictal helped me sleep better, but they want me up to 3 tablets twice a day in the next three weeks.

The ativan is an anti anxiety drug and they make me depressed. I use ashwaganda for controlling my temper and it isn't perfect, but it really helps a lot. I don't want to take the ativan.
Has anyone else been on these drugs?

Is it normal to get so many on the first visit? Do you stay on these the whole time you are being treated for Lyme? I just think I am going to cause more issues being on so many different drugs.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2679 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know why you would take "TWO" drugs that are basically used for the same thing. Trileptal and Lamictal are both anti-seizure drugs.

I took Lamactil for a while for a mood disorder, but had a reaction to it and had to change to Risperdal. I also take an antidepressant with it, plus Xanax. But I am in the process of weaning off of the Xanax.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susie R
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Susie R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow...trileptal and lamictal are both anticonvulsants used to treat seizures (especially temporal lobe seizures) and off-label, as mood stabilizers in bipolar disorder.

My son, who has been ill with TBD for many years before diagnosis, had lots of problems with agitation and aggression because that are responding to antibiotics. But he'd been managed for many years psychiatrically with Lamictal, Tegretol(related to Trileptal), Klonopin (related to ativan) and other psychotropic drugs.

But most doctors, I think, would prescribe one medication at a time. Especially with Trileptal and lamictal, both of which have rare but potentially very serious side effects. (Sodium depletion with Trileptal, and Stevens-Johnson syndrome with Lamictal). Both are metabolized in the liver and induce enzymes which complicate the prescribing of both of them. Even experienced psychiatrists wouldn't start both meds at the same time. One after the other, not uncommon, but not at the same time.

My .02 cents, fwiw.

I hope you feel better soon.
susie

Posts: 234 | From albany, ny | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They wanted me to start the Trileptal for one week and then start the Lamictral. I could not tolerate the Trileptal at all.

When you are in pain all the time you can't help being grumpy sometimes. I try not to be agitated but sometimes it is like a boiling pot I can't stop. I am better taking the ashwaganda and would rather take supplements instead of more drugs.

I am extremely sensitive to all drugs and usually have to take the smallest dose. I am not even on antibiotics yet. I am supposed to start those in October.

I am going to call the doctor's office tomorrow and tell them I am not going to take the ativan. They wanted to give me Klonipin and I said I would not take it. In the past, I took cymbalta and it made me feel like the end of the world was near. I don't need to feel worse.

I also have worked extremely hard to lose weight. I packed on a lot of pounds when I got sick and I am not putting them back on because of prescribed medications. I have lost 120 lbs in the past 19 months. They are not coming back.

--------------------
Faithful

Posts: 2679 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MannaMe
Member # 33330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MannaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband was on ativan for anxiety. He says it did take the edge off, but didn't take the anxiety away completely. He eventually weaned off of it by himself. It wasn't easy - had to take it slowwwwww due to the withdrawal.

So if you can get help from a supplement - by all means go for it! Some people have an awful time getting off benzo meds.

Posts: 1455 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

I spoke to one of the nurses today about not being able to take Trileptal. They are checking to see if the doctor wants me to try something else.

The idea behind the anti seizure drugs is to get pain under control before antibiotics are started. Die off causes pain issues so they want pain under control before you start antibiotics. I have so much pain all the time so I am going to try and take the drugs they prescribed. They also prescribed supplements too. I already take so many.

I see Dr. J in DC so I am going to have to trust that he knows what he is doing.

--------------------
Faithful

hulagrrl
Member # 33268

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hulagrrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi.

It's funny, I was about to post a question about the exact same medication regimen. We've surely got the same mid-Atlantic region doctor. At the first visit I was recommended to start Lamictal, Neurontin, and Ativan at least a month before any antibiotic treatment would begin.

My question is this:
Is this standard among physicians who are treating for Lyme? I've never heard of it. Don't other people just go on the antibiotics straight away? I have a lot of apprehension about adding three new medications to my already extensive medication cocktail. I'd really rather not. And yet, nobody else so far has been willing to treat me for this infection, so at the moment it seems I have to do their treatment or no treatment.

I've already take similar medications for migraine preventative and pain management (in fact, I'm already on two drugs that are quite similar to those prescribed, and I don't know why they would be duplicated). So I asked my neurologist and primary care for opinions as to adding these three medications additionally. After one dismissively told me I was "veering off into voodoo", he opined that Lamictal was a dangerous choice, and Lyrica was a safer choice. And that there was no need to add multiple medications at the same time. But then he also said "I can't evaluate this because I don't know what they're treating you for - an infection that doesn't exist!"
When I questioned the llmd about the Lamictal side effect risk, they came back with a new program of Lyrica, Trileptal, and Ativan. Again, three new drugs.... Then, yesterday my primary care said "why Lyrica? That'll make you too drowsy- Savella is a better choice." I'm not really getting anywhere.

What do people think about this pre-antibiotic treatment neuropathic pain management medication business?

Faithfull777, what are you going to do?

Posts: 11 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

The doctor said that being in a lot of pain prior to antibiotics is going to put too much stress on the immune system unless you address pain and sleep.

The antibiotics work better when the body isn't going through all that inflammation. The die off from the Lyme is going to create it's own issues and if your pain level isn't in a good place when you start, you won't be able to handle the antibiotics.

There are many people who are seeing this same doctor that I have connected with that ARE getting better. I am going to have to trust that.
The cocktail they prescribe is supposed to work together to get you out of pain and allow better sleep so you can eventually heal.

I am going to try the drugs. I am in horrible pain all day and night. I am not having any problems with Lamictal and actually have slept better this week because of it. I haven't gone up to the full dose yet, but if the pain stops, I will be relieved. I am going to trust Dr. J.

I did horribly on Lyrica. If you are talking about Topamax for migraines, I had to get off of that too.

--------------------
Faithful

sk8ter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sk8ter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried LDN for pain...it is a miracle...
Low Dose Naltraxone...ask your dr about it.

Posts: 871 | From orange county, ca. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MannaMe
Member # 33330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MannaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ask a pharmacist about the combination of drug safety. They know more about drugs than doctors do.
Posts: 1455 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the same dr. and I refused the drug cocktail - scared me honestly...however I am in severe pain much of the time. It really stinks that our options are take a ton of drugs and become zombies to numb the pain or to be in severe pain because nothing else works. I too am extremely sensitive to the antiseizure class of medication. I guess I am just hoping and praying that the pain will subside on its own eventually, but the pain makes life and treatment extremely difficult.
Posts: 618 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

quote:
Originally posted by sk8ter:
Have you tried LDN for pain...it is a miracle...
Low Dose Naltraxone...ask your dr about it.

I have already gone the LDN route and it didn't help me at all. I did sleep better, but that is all I got from using it for over 6 months.

--------------------
Faithful

faithful777
Member # 22872

quote:
Originally posted by jwall:
I have the same dr. and I refused the drug cocktail - scared me honestly...however I am in severe pain much of the time. It really stinks that our options are take a ton of drugs and become zombies to numb the pain or to be in severe pain because nothing else works. I too am extremely sensitive to the antiseizure class of medication. I guess I am just hoping and praying that the pain will subside on its own eventually, but the pain makes life and treatment extremely difficult.

I have been in such extreme pain for so long, and I can't stay like this. My quality of life when I hurt like this is nil.

I am going to see if I can tolerate at least one of the anti seizure meds. I won't take all of the drugs they recommend for pain, but this doctor treats a lot of people successfully. I have emailed many of them, and they are all doing okay and getting better.

I know this particular doctor doesn't like narcotics, but I am already getting them from my neurologist for herniated discs in my neck and back. They only take the edge off, but I might be able to change to another narcotic that works better. I do not have side effects from vicodin at all.

--------------------
Faithful

jwall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did agree to take neurontin - wouldn't treat me otherwise. It seemed to help a little, but I was still in so much pain once I started antibiotics. Now I am weaning off - I just don't like the way it makes me feel, but I have severe spinal, neck, head pain. Cognitively I am much clearer though - that is a plus. It is very hard to live with this pain. I have been treating with Dr. J for 12 months now and am getting better, slowly, but surely. :)My neighbors treated with him and are well and happy now. Took a long time though! He is an excellent Dr. and doesn't want us to be in pain.
Posts: 618 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beachinit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beachinit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plain dextromethorphan that I bought at Walmart
was helpful for pain relief when magnesium glycinate was not completely effective. No euphoria, just some pain relief but must keep the dose below a few hundred milligrams to avoid
undesirable effects.

--------------------
Ideas not advice.

Posts: 448 | From Downeast Maine | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement

© 1993-2019 The Lyme Disease Network of New Jersey, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Use of the LymeNet Site is subject to the Terms and Conditions.