LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

Tax deductible

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.
In the United States, your donations are tax deductible.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » UPDATE! Fecal Impaction!?!. Took hole bottle of Magnesium Citrate. not working. HELP! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: UPDATE! Fecal Impaction!?!. Took hole bottle of Magnesium Citrate. not working. HELP!
lymegal23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymegal23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been having bowel issues for almost a month now.

i USED TO have good solid bowel movements before this past month. I am almost sure its due to low stomach acid. I started supplementing with HCL this past weekend but. like the idiot i am....I WENT OVERBOARD. took way too much (more than the bottle even recommended). so i need to wait for my stomach irritation to calm down before restarting it. i bought some DGL to help with it

I know I have alot of undigested food in me. I just keep getting diarreah and not much of it either. its mostly just gas and a little bit of diarreah/water. (sorry for the details)

this has been going on for a month I need to find a way to get all this undigested crap out of me. im starting to feel crappy and I know its from all the toxins getting re absorbed.

fiber isnt doing anything. I have been taking digestive enzymes with each meal the past few days. Trying to eat soft foods that are easy to digest only. bought a bottle of mag citrate laxative. hope it works...

recommendations are much appreciated!!!!

[ 05-25-2012, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: lymegal23 ]

Posts: 995 | From somewhere out there | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AuntyLynn
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 35938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AuntyLynn         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG do NOT take the whole bottle of Magnesium Citrate .. unless you are preparing for a colonoscopy!!

How about eating some VEGETABLES for a change??!

Try starting every evening meal with a green salad with raw vegetables like cucumber and celery, which has plenty of "fiber" ... add some cooked veggies to your plate next to that meat or fish ... and use things like broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, or green beans, instead of peas or corn - which are both mostly starch!

Stop filling up on potatoes, bread and pasta - and make sure any bread that you DO eat is a "whole grain" variety! Eat fruits for snacks, especially apples or hard green pears, peaches, plums, or eventually, add some NUTS.

The fiber in fruits and vegetables act like a "broom" that comes sweeping through your digestive tract, and will clear that undigested garbage out.

Also, be sure you are getting enough water. Dehydration can contribute to constipation, and some drugs are notorious for causing dehydration.

If your pipes are clogged with flour and sugar, or undigested meat - without any vegetables, there is nothing in our diet to help push this stuff through, so it gets "impacted" in crevices of your intestine. (Sorry for graphic, but its simple physics.) And no glass of "fiber" powder or pills will do the same work that a proper diet can!

If you think you are low on digestive enzymes, try adding some papaya or papain tablets to the end of your meal. The enzymes in papaya and pineapple work just the way a healthy stomach should.

These tablets work REALLY well, and cost just pennies! Even folks who have 'acid reflux' get relief from these natural digestive enzymes.

(And BTW, "acid reflux" is a misdiagnosis, and taking the "purple pill" will only exacerbate the real problem over time, which problem is actually an INSUFFICIENCY of digestive acids!)

You can also add real apple cider vinegar, or fresh lemon juice, to the dressings on those salads - which is much more gentle than taking HCL.

Also add PROBIOTICS to your diet! Yogurt, kefir, kombucha, or commercial probiotic preparatons. This will help infuse the "friendly" bacteria that help to make digestion "happen!"

Try this protocol for a week and then tell us how you feel! [Smile] m'kay?

Posts: 1432 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AuntyLynn         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I tried to delete that double post - and was first told I coudn't because ONLY Administrators can delete? (that's new) ...

When I try to edit either of them... I'm told I am a "hack attempt."

OY! Webmistress??

Posts: 1432 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess you figured it out?? Read it again .. only admins or the person who started the thread/post can delete it.

here's the quote:

"Only forum leaders or the person that posted this message may edit or delete this message. Only registered users may edit/delete posts!"

--------------------
 -
oops!
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 93615 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

I DID triple check it TuTu ... THIS time it only said "administrator" - No mention of the person who made the post! (I have used this feature many times!)

Actually it cleared out (finally) while I was composing the third post - wierd!
But thanks for gettin' on it right away! [Smile]

lymegal23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymegal23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ive dranken more than half of the bottle of the mag citrate....

should I stop drinking it?

I figured it would help get things out tho....

Posts: 995 | From somewhere out there | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Whoaaa Nelly!

Yes, I would stop until you see what happens in the next 24-48 hours.

lymegal23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28573

Do you think I should stop my antibiotics for now until i gets better?..

i was supposed to see my LLMD next week but for financial issues i cant see her till mid next month,

I feel like im getting overly toxic because i cant get this crap out of me and its just getting reabsorbed. if i keep killing stuff and its not getting out im going to continue feeling worse and worse.

do you think its wise to stop my antibiotics until i start to get stuff out???

AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

I am not your doctor, and I would never advise you to stop taking antibiotics.

Take a closer look at your diet!
Write down everything that you eat or drink over the next few days - which might help you to see why you are having this problem. You can start today if you can remember what you ate last night, or at yesterday's lunch and breakfast.

And you are the only one who knows what you "like" to eat as a norm. Be sure you are getting enough fluids - and by this I DON'T mean sodas or coffee! WATER is best! After that, green tea. If you don't like the stuff from the tap (as I don't) buy some Poland Springs, and keep it in the fridge.

If you start relying upon "artificial" help, after a time, your body will need it ALL the time.

Also, if you are not big on fruits and vegetables, you are missing some of the important vitamins and minerals that your body will need, in order to heal.

Good Luck!

Maryland Mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maryland Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what you describe, it sounds likely that you've developed a fecal impaction: some dry, hardened stool in the colon or rectum that causes a partial blockage.

If a fecal impaction is present, laxatives may not be effective in getting things "moving" again. Sometimes a warm mineral oil enema works in these cases. It softens and lubricates the stool that has become impacted, making it easier to pass.

If you do that and you STILL can't go...it may be necessary for a doctor or nurse to manually break up the impaction by carefully inserting a gloved finger in the rectum. (Hope I'm not grossing people out, now--I actually had to learn how to do this in nursing school!)

As AuntyLynn said, if you rely on "artificial" help, such as laxatives and enemas, regularly, you'll end up needing it all the time. For this reason, I don't normally recommend using either, but at this moment, fiber and fluids may no longer be enough.

Once you do manage to go, to keep things regular, eat lots of fiber, as others said. LOTS of vegetables, preferable fresh raw ones such as in salads. Whole grain breads and cereals are another good source. Fresh fruits too, but they are higher in sugar. AuntyLynn gave great dietary advice...try to stay away from soft low fiber foods--eat veggies instead.

You may get a little gassy after first increasing your fiber, but it should get better as your body adjusts.

Try to drink 3000ml of caffeine free beverages each day--plain water is best.

It is also helpful to get your body on a schedule. Try to go to the bathroom to have a BM around the same time each day.

Posts: 962 | From Charleston | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maryland Mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maryland Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to clarify, I think the small amounts of watery stool described in this thread are different from the large, watery amounts of diarrhea that may be experienced from harsh laxatives or antibiotic use.

Sometimes with chronic constipation, fecal impactions develop. When this happens, any solid stool formed after it cannot be passed, but it is common to experience small amounts of watery diarrhea as water passes around the impaction.

Posts: 962 | From Charleston | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's been four hours since you took the mag citrate.

Are you drinking lots of water?
How are you feeling?
Any results?

Posts: 6899 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymegal23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28573

youre really sweet checking up on me Carol! thanks alot

i actually have barely gone to the bathroom

ive only had water pass a few times and very very little amounts of diarreah. its mostly just water coming out. and not too much of that either.

CRAZY!!! i drank almost the whole bottle in like two and a half hours

i guess its time to do a mineral oil enema? if that doesnt work i dont know what else to do. is it safe to do two enemas back to back to break up the impaction?

oh goodness......

lymegal23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28573

i am drinking TONS of water!!! I always drink alot of water!
lymegal23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28573

my urine output is very normal

ive been on antibiotics since november 2010

lymegal23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28573

although i seem to feel a it of cramping around my bladder here and there

how long should I give the mag citrate before I go and try to do a mineral oil enema?

Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Normal urine output.
Okay, that's good.

Continuous antibiotics can cause many problems in the body.
It wrecks the bacterial balance in the intestines and causes problems with digestion.

Digesting food properly is so important...it's the ONLY way your body can get the nutrients it needs for the cells to work.

p.s.
I'd say wait until tomorrow for an enema, but you probably won't need one.

Posts: 6899 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymegal23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28573

I really think I have low stomach acid. and I think the low stomach acid is to blame

i took betaine hcl and it didn make my stomac burn until i took 4 capsules at a time. two capsules contain 92 mg of betaine hydrocloride

i think thats a sign my stomach needs it

lymegal23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28573

maybe I should try miralax?
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No miralax....if you have stool impaction, it WILL make it worse. I speak from experience.

Best thing is to keep to a liquid-only diet until you are able to completely pass the stool that is stuck.

Liquid diet = meat and/or vegetable broth, fresh/raw vegetable juices, water, tea, herbal tea, kefir, etc....but no milk. Milk can be constipating, and is hard to digest if you do not have sufficient stomach acid.

Also, take a magnesium tablet (I've used one 250mg tablet) with every "meal" until the blockage is passed. My favorite magnesium for this purpose is Chelated Magnesium from Country Life (no financial connections; just a happy customer).

And taking Vitamin C with meals can help with low stomach acid, and also can help with bowel regularity.

Take care,

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4161 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymegal23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28573

um... i already took a whole bottle of magnesium citrate....i can still take more magnesium pills?!?!?

isnt there a certain amount of magnesium that you shoudlnt go over

like could i OD on magensium if i took my magnesium pills?

lymegal23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28573

I dont really understand why the miralax will make it worse?
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

quote:
Originally posted by lymegal23:
um... i already took a whole bottle of magnesium citrate....i can still take more magnesium pills?!?!?

No, no.....don't take anything else for right now.

Please WAIT until the mag citrate works.

It may take eight hours to work.

lymegal23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28573

i see

i guess i didnt know that mag citrate laxative takes this long to work. i thought it totally worked in its full capacity within a few hours

but then again im really backed up maybe itll take longer.....

lymegal23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28573

theyre always really really loose and not much comes out. more gas and water than anything else.
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need fiber to move your bowels. Don't eat any meat, potatoes, pasta, dairy or flour. Dr. Oz says apples, cantelope, raspberries and papaya are the best foods to eat for constipation.

Eat a lot of vegetables and fruits. You can get protein from beans and they are full of fiber. Avoid high fat food like nuts, oils etc. When you begin to have regular bowel movements add rice and quinoa. You will feel better too.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4651 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
why do you think you're plugged up? I bet you're
Not. I have chronic and severe ibs and diverticulitis
And colon polyps. I've also had c diff.

It does not sound like an impaction to me. I'd lay off all laxatives for right now as you could damage your colon

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did not read everyone's replies... I imagine you got some great suggestions. Mind would be to go for the prunes. Lots of them to get things moving.

Also do a lot of deep Qi breathing deep into your belly. Do it as frequently as you remember to. Also, rub your abdomen in a clockwise motion (the direction things will exit.). Sometimes simple things can make a world of difference.

Good luck.

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlf2012
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlf2012     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had so many problems with constipation and have tried EVERYTHING! What has finally helped me is proboulardi by metagenics. It's been WONDERFUL to really GO!!!
Posts: 463 | From Sandusky, Ohio | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WendyK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18918

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WendyK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son gets problems with fecal impactions, extended colon (stretched out so much the muscles can't properly remove the stool) the small amounts of watery diarrhea that leaks around it etc..

As per his pediatrician, we had to 'clean him out' - Big glass of water and miralax, followed by OTC enema, followed by lots and lots of gatorade and water, and miralax to keep things moving until the colon could shrink back down. Worked very well... I can't believe that much came out of one kid... Good luck!

--------------------
Wendy

Posts: 253 | From Near Albany, NY | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jazzygirl24
Member # 30829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jazzygirl24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lymegal23,

At this point I really think you should get checked out by a doctor, either your LLMD or someone you can trust. Self treating is not working and can harm you.

When I hear small amounts of watery stools I think obstruction, could be due to fecal impaction, or something higher up in the intestines.

Are you having pain? Bloating? Constipation for more then a few days is not normal!

Grace

Posts: 27 | From central nj | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymegal23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28573

Wendyk I pmed you!!!!
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lymegal.

Has the magnesium done anything yet?

Do you have vitamin c capsules or powder?

If nothing has happened by morning then I would either take 1 or 2 grams of vitamin c every hour or go to an urgent care facility or try the enema. Or if you have a chiropractor or massage therapist then I would go see one of them.

You should not let this problem continue especially since you do not know exactly what is wrong.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lymegal23:
I dont really understand why the miralax will make it worse?

Warning - this is graphic!

Miralax is a gel that will absorb water and expand. When stool is impacted, the two big no-no's are eating stuff that expands, and drying out the colon wall.

Absorbing all the moisture out of the colon will dry out the colon wall too much in the setting of stool impaction.

I tried miralax one time when I had a stool impaction. The pain got wayyyyy worse and the stuck stool got harder and was next to impossible to expel. Once it got to my rectum, I had to dig it out one finger-pull at a time.

If I'd stuck to the liquid diet and magnesium pills, the plug would've softened and passed without me having to manually pull it out a painful speck at a time.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4161 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you ever tried drinking mangosteen juice? That can cause regularity.
Posts: 12682 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
did anyone say senna or smooth move tea?

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13686 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cozynana
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cozynana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you ever heard of Bells Palsey of the gut? I am not saying you have this, but is common in Lyme patients. I have not had a bowel movement on my own for months. I used to be able to use laxatives and smooth move tea. Now it just makes me sick, stomach gurgles, and nothing happens. Out of desperation I do a bucket enema every other day. I have been to bowel specialist (that offered to remove my bowels) and every other Dr I could think of. Noone seems alarmed but me! Just something to check out if you don't get results.
Posts: 620 | From Ks | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had constipation issues for 5-6 years before I found what worked for me. I tried Rx, otc, natural remedies and nothing helped until I started eating natural almonds everday in my diet.

I eat 2 good handfulls in the evening and make sure I grind them up with teeth. In the morning I have great results. If I go more than 2 days without eating almonds, I'm back to being constipated.

I buy them in 1 lb bag, natural, no salt or other additives in the grocery store in the natural foods/produce area.

So so happy and to think it was so simple for me.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6283 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See symptoms:

http://www.localhealth.com/article/paralytic-ileus

Cause can be:

"Constipation: The Thyroid Symptom No One Wants to Talk About"

http://thyroid.about.com/b/2006/08/30/constipation-the-thyroid-symptom-no-one-wants-to-talk-about.htm

Then the thyroid-liver connection:

Gotta have a healthy liver because that is where T4-> T3 if I remember correctly.

And upregulated cells impacting the thyroid:

"autoimmune" T17 cells do a number on the thyroid..."itis"

Not being able to poop can be a very serious situation.

Get in touch with your doctor/go to a "doc in the box". Have him/her simply listen for bowel sounds.

Posts: 9348 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mick
Member # 37419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mick         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymegal" A natural way to relieve your problem would be mineral oil or castor oil.And keep having lots of good water.fluid pushes out fluid. If you need help seeing your lyme dr,. let me know thru pm and i'll see that your bill will be paid in advance. In the meanwhile the above oils are natural and should help "move things along"
Posts: 31 | From ny | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36441

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Marnie - go to a doctor and see if they hear any bowel sounds. You can even lay down, massage your abdomen and get somebody to put their ear on your tummy and listen for sounds.

No more self medicating! If a bottle of mag citrate laxative isn't moving anything, it's time for professional help! Better safe than sorry.

Posts: 161 | From vancouver island | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maryland Mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2043

I was hoping by the time I checked in today things would be resolved.

If the mag citrate still hasn't done the job, I agree wholeheartedly with those who say it's time to get yourself to the doctor. Continuing to try to treat this by yourself at this point could cause big problems.

tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the latest? Please tell us how you are doing!

Hope all is well.

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymegal23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28573

I really think I have a fecal impaction or some sort going on here.

Yesterday i ate high fiber soft foods (veggies, beans. apples. spinach etc)

and all ive been doing is passing little bits of diarreah. I can see the vegetables in it (not to be too graphic but its the truth)

There must be hard fecal matter standing in the way and the diarreah is just going AROUND the solid mass of fecal matter. This has been happening for weeks. altho all i did up till recently was try to take fiber supplements. I wasn't eating enough fiber this past month.

I bought miralax last night. I took once dose last night and one dose this morning. still nothing

I dont think an enema will do much good considering i dont have any fecal matter near my rectum. its higher up . probably in my colon.

i kno people said I should go to the doctor but they can't access it because its not near the rectum. putting their fingers in there isnt going to do any good

this is seriously stressing me out. I called out of work this morning

what should i do? take more miralax. drink a dose every hour?

HELP HELP HELP!

tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PLEASE go to the doctor! They will X-ray you. That's what they did with my daughter and they were able to tell how backed up she was.
Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

That is where you want to start off and do it ASAP. Then, you can do maybe coffee enemas but please go to the doctor first and get X-rayed.
lymegal23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28573

...right but after the x ray what will they do?!?!

apart from the x ray what can they do at the hospital?

lymegal23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28573

okay tickled thanks alot.

what did they tell your daughter to do. how backed up was she?

i know every case is individual but im just wondering. curious and wanting to see what I could possibly be looking at.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
go for colon hydrotherapy?

--------------------
 -
oops!
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 93615 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe drink a bottle of prune juice. I wouldn't consume a lot of things with fiber... that can bind you up for sure. Lots of liquids should get things going.

Good luck you poor little backed-up thing.

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

I don't remember exactly b/c it was awhile ago and she ended up going on her own but I think they said she was going to need an enema.

If the Magnesium citrate didn't work I'm not sure the Miralax will either but maybe.

Fiber didn't work with my daughter and actually made matters worse b/c I wasn't able to stay on top of her fluid intake while she was at school. If you don't drink water with fiber it will make it worse.

My daughter also developed an allergy to Miralax and now when she has issues we use colace (stool softener) and/or Fleet suppositories.

If you don't want to go to the doctor I would do an enema before taking anything else. Maybe even a Fleet suppository for starters.

tickled1
Member # 14257

When's the last time you had a normal BM?
lymegal23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28573

a solide good bowel movement.....like in the description of a healthy one..

WEEKS!

Id say like three weeks.

tickled1
Member # 14257

Prune juice doesn't work for me. Dunno why.
tickled1
Member # 14257

ENEMA!
lymegal23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28573

i have been having this diarreah only thing going on for about two weeks. a little slightly over.

three weeks ago I remeber having a pencil thing one

so its kinda been a while!!!

im feeling crappier lately too. i can tell im getting toxic and toxicer by the day.

lymegal23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28573

ticlked im going to PM you...
lymegal23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28573

oh ok tickled. thanks

i think im just going to go to the hospital

honestly i dont want to keep spending more money on stuff for this. i already spent money on miralax, stool softeners, and buying high fiber veggies etc yesterday

this should be interesting.

tickled1
Member # 14257

Your mailbox is full. I tried to reply. Good luck!!!
WendyK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18918

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WendyK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope you've either did an enema on your own by now, or gone to the hospital - three weeks is WAY too long! Keep us posted and I hope things literally clear out soon!

--------------------
Wendy

Posts: 253 | From Near Albany, NY | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi - your mailbox is full -

Once again, I suggest try drinking mangosteen juice - it can soften stools to being like a baby's.

Posts: 12682 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Search by Symptom, flowcharts
http://familydoctor.org/familydoctor/en/health-tools/search-by-symptom.html

Diarrhea
http://familydoctor.org/familydoctor/en/health-tools/search-by-symptom/diarrhea.html

lymegal23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28573

update everyone

ok so I went to the ER and told them my symptoms. the nurse who took my blood had a hard time taking it. said my vein wouldnt keep the needle or something. weird....anyone else have that problem?

then i told the doc my symptoms and they did a rectal exam by putting a gloved finger in my rectum. they found nothing

so he ordered a cat scan of my abdomen JUST TO BE SURE

when they were putting the IV in me for the contrast the nurse was having such a hard time she had to put it in my hand. WEIRD . what is that caused from. typical lyme thing? I know for SURE i wasn't dehydrated because I drink water like its my full time job!

everything came back fine. he said he did see stool but not a crazy or large amount of it

I still havent had a real bowel movement. im going to try an enema then have more miralax.

if this keeps up i think im going to go to colon hydrotherapy

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Some people have "rolling veins".. they roll when they try to stick the needle in.

Glad you are OK!

--------------------
 -
oops!
--Lymetutu--

WendyK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18918

Glad to hear you are OK!

--------------------
Wendy

fourwinds
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14114

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fourwinds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lymegal... glad you are okay!

There is something else that works great and causes no cramps.... a Vitamin C "flush". Read about it here

http://vitamins-today.com/c_flush.html

Basically you drink Buffered Ascorbate Vit C every 15 minutes until you "flush" works great.

Posts: 396 | From EAPennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymegal23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28573

still nothing yet

this is one big waiting game....yawn,...

Ive taken miralax, and a bunch of stool softeners
nothing yet...

Maryland Mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2043

I am so glad you went to the ER. Better safe than sorry! Even more glad to hear you are OK.

Did the ER doctor have any advice on how to proceed?

Instead of throwing more laxatives at this problem, which haven't been very effective so far, Consider again the mineral oil enema. The stool does not necessarily have to have moved down to the rectum for it to be effective.

sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The IV problem may have been a user/equipment failure. Usually ER nurses can get IV's in anyone no matter what. I'm guessing the hospital got new IV's and all the nurses are a bit unfamiliar with them. It happens!

Did the hospital say your bowels looked normal? Like you did not have a back up of stool? Maybe you should stick to normal doses of miralax. If you take too much miralax or magnesium your stool will liquify and you will NOT see a regular BM.

Even if you are backed up/ impacted with abdomen full of stool, regular doses of miralax will eventually and safely get things moving again. It may take longer than a massive clean out dose but it will work.

If you were to get a colonoscopy they would have you drink one bottle of miralax with a bottle of Gatorade the day before. This stuff works. This higher dose will keep you on the toilet all night long with liquid stools (and cramping and nausea) and it is meant to literally wash clean your bowels. So don't take that much.

Another reason not to do a big cleanse like above: Diarrhea washes away your good GI flora including probiotics that you have purchased to protect you from opportunistic infections.

I have vagal neuropathy meaning that the nerves along my GI track are damaged. I used to only have one BM per month with menstrual cramps. So I know what it is like to have irregular BM's like you are struggling with. Now I use magnesium and miralax and keep things moving every couple days. I have to adjust the dose based on how my body is responding daily.

You have to be patient with these things. You can't expect to go from constipated to normal overnight. As others have said, you will need to look at your diet too. High fiber foods will add bulk and help move things along for you. Also, you just need to eat. What goes in comes out. If you are not eating hardly anything, you will not have much in your stomach, your BMs will be small and irregular.

If you keep having problems, don't suffer and try to self treat at home. Ask your LLMD for a referral to a GI doc. They do the tests and help you get whatever treatment you might need to get "normal" again.

I just want you to know that I'm worried for you. I don't want you to get hurt by trying too many things all at once. Please be careful, OK.

Posts: 5231 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymegal23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28573

Im going to be honest people

I think this is all caused from a low level of stomach acid

over the past month or so ive found i feel full after eating VERY easily and food feels like its just sitting there below my chest

i also took the baking soda test and didnt burp within 5 minutes. in fact i didnt burp AT ALL....even a half hour later

i cant eat anything really except fruits and vegetables. if i have this high in protein (chicken , beef) it causes problems. my stomach hurts and I feel fullness around my chest

last nite i tried eating chicken and boy did i pay for it,

i ended up waking up with a stomach that hurt very badly. i took one tablespoon of APLLE CIDER VINEGAR in a glass of water and it really soothed it. now it feels pretty good

poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A functioning nervous system is required in order to have normal GI activity. Lyme damages the nervous system.

If I stay off meds for too long, constipation results, along with urine retention.

The hitch is that that meds can also affect GI function, so you have to get the probiotics right too. Never heard anyone else say this, but if I do too much probiotics, can also have constipation.

It is a real balancing act.

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ask your doctor about that baking soda test. I don't know how reliable a measure it truly is. There is probably a better real way to test your stomach acid levels.

Maybe you will find out that you need just a tiny bit of HCL, a ND may help guide you there. Or maybe you would be helped with some really good digestive enzymes.

I have tried combos of both and currently use NOW brand "Digest Platinum". I have tried far more expensive brands and physician prescribed brands and none have worked better than this.

Check out the ingredients here, it is the most complete and best enzyme I have found so far:
http://www.nowfoods.com/Supplements/Products-by-Category/Digestive-Support/Enzymes/077805.htm

If you take a good digestive enzyme it will help your body break down foods properly. You will use your body's own HCL naturally, with less stress and burden. You may not need extra HCL. At least that's what I have experienced.

If you eat a heavy meal you may want to take 2 enzyme capsules to help with digestion.

Always chew food well and eat slowly. This helps me too. There are still some foods that are too heavy that my stomach doesn't like. I don't eat beef and I can only eat very small amounts of beans occasionally, these things tend to sits like a brick in my stomach for hours and cause pain.

The sitting like a brick and not digesting is usually a sign of gastroparesis, slow stomach emptying. Not inadequate HCL. There is a test for this. It is called the "gastric emptying scan". There are some RX meds that can help some people. They didn't help me. But what I've told you above does help me.

Also, taking mag to bowel tolerance daily helps. Staying hydrated helps.

Always avoid eating large heavy meals. Stick with small lighter more frequent meals to keep your blood sugar up. If you are really sick you may need to switch to liquids (or add some Ensure) for a little while under doctor's guidance.

If you catch what I'm saying this can be a serious issue that you need to talk with your doctor about. You can't get better if you are not able to eat. Your body needs extra nutrients when you are sick to heal.

Again, not saying any of this to harp on you, just because I care.

Posts: 5231 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Glad to hear they didn't find anything seriously wrong. Since they didn't, I would back off on taking much.

Maybe just regular doses of Miralax like someone else said. Digestive enzymes may be a good idea too. My doctor recommended Digestzymes by Designs for Health. It may have HCL in it but I'm not positive.

I had that full feeling with indigestion before I treated H. Pylori. My H. Pylori did not show up on regular tests but showed up on a stool test by Metametrix.

I also have a hiatal hernia. That could also cause a feeling of fullness.

Instead of the Miralax maybe take Magnesium glycinate on a regular basis. Going to a LL gastrointerologist would probably be a good idea. Have you had an endoscopy or colonoscopy recently?

tickled1
Member # 14257

BTW, by no means am I suggesting doing all the things I mentioned above at once.
mlg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Option 1:
Try 2 teapoons of coconut oil before going to sleep. (Check with your LLMD...you might be able to substitute.

Then in the morning half a cup of water with fresh squeezed lemon.

Option 2

2 ounces of alove vera first thing in the morning and 2 teaspoons of olive oil.

Take care,

Take care,

Posts: 619 | From CA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement

© 1993-2019 The Lyme Disease Network of New Jersey, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Use of the LymeNet Site is subject to the Terms and Conditions.