LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Do not take Diflucan when on Biaxin!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do not take Diflucan when on Biaxin!!!
Sammi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 110

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was recently told by my pharmacist not to take Diflucan and Biaxin together. He said it can cause a very serious heart problem and even death!

I have taken these together before because I did not know. I did recently see a cardiologist due to some heart-related problems. This was before I knew about the interaction of these meds. I am wondering if my problems were from taking these meds together. Time will tell.

I Googled these meds on a couple of different drug interaction websites. One listed it as a serious interaction and one listed it as minor! My doctor agreed with the pharmacist.

I wanted to let others know because these two meds are often prescribed for Lyme patients.

Moderators do you think this should be added to the "Important Information" thread?

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I knew Diflucan and Zith were bad together but never knew about Biaxin.

Thanks for the info. I agree it's important life saving information.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't know about Diflucan and Zithro,thanks! They are both macrolide antibiotics.
Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both Zith and Biaxin can cause heart problems in sensitive people. Adding Diflucan to the mix doesn't help!!! [Eek!]

I'm sure I took those at the same time before. I do have heart problems but not sure which came first.

Also add fluoroquinolones to the list .. esp Avelox.(not sure about mixing with Diflucan.. but they can cause heart issues)

Sammi .. I'll see if we can find a place for it. The list is getting long!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The pharmacist's word choice and tone really got my attention!

I bet a lot of people have taken them together. Yes, the list will be long.

Thanks for trying to find a place for this post.

iluvrain
Member # 40055

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iluvrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This could have been what happened to me. I got really bad chest pains and squeezing that i had NEVER had before. I know i was taking diflucan and i had tried biaxin once. Hmmm
Posts: 66 | From Memphis | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

iluvrain, I had squeezing chest pain too and it went down my left arm. I took these meds together. Now that I know this, I believe this is why I had the squeezing pain.
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope you are feeling better now Sammi.

I'm so sorry you had to go through a cardiac scare to learn that these meds are contraindicated. Your Lyme doc is usually a stickler about NEVER prescribing them together.

Macrolides, Quinolones, and Diflucan can all interact when taken together. So you don't want to take combos of Levaquin and Zith or Levaquin and Diflucan either.

When you combine these meds you can cause prolonged QT interval (irregular heart rate).

Symptoms may only be mild like palpitations, irregular (fast & erratic) heartbeat, fatigue, fainting. These irregular heartbeats can also be so severe that they can even cause sudden death.

Some people are more prone to having prolonged QT interval so for them to take one med can put them at greater risk of symptoms.

It's a good idea to run all of your meds through a drug interaction checker like Sammi did. The one at drugs.com allows you to save your list so that when you are prescribed something new all you have to do is go and revise you list then check for new interactions. So easy!

http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php

Here are some common macrolides and quinolones:

Macrolides:
Azithromycin (Zithromax)
Clarithromycin (Biaxin)
Erythromycin
Telithromycin (Ketek)

Quinolones:
Factive
Avelox
Levaquin
Cipro

[ 04-28-2013, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: sammy ]

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's scary. My previous Lyme doc had me taking Biaxin for a long time. I also took diflucan 2-3 days per week at the same time. Nice!

--------------------
"The simple things can get you through the hardest times."  -

Posts: 628 | From Connecticut | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Goodness, I took biaxin for a month and may have been taking diflucan back then, don't remember...(I know I took it for quite a period roughly that number of years ago)
Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there are other -mycin abx as well, for example, telithromycin (ketek), if zithromycin
(zithromax) and clarithromycin (biaxin) are known fo rthis problem, perhaps other -mycin's as well?

Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can it help if you seperate the time you take it?

Like ABX's early.........mid-late and diflucan at bed time?

That's of course if you aren't trying to get in probiotics or CSM or whatever else..Then if you add Rifampin does that lower the odds of a problem?

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

nonna05, you cannot take them together regardless of the timing.

If you are taking Biaxin (or the others listed here) you cannot take Diflucan. If you are taking Difulucan, you cannot take these antibiotics for 72 hours (according to the pharmacist).

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I placed this thread in our important links thread:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/88555?#000000

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is interesting. I see this combination of drugs prescribed together all the time....often with HIV patients. I was under the impression it increased serum levels of the biaxin and that was it. Erythromycin, OTOH I know should be avoided as it can lead to torsades. Learn something new everyday! I'll have to look into this more because like I said....we see it all the time! Good to know.

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carolann2013
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carolann2013     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. I took Zithromax for almost two months and took Diflucan several times. What about Nystatin?
I have both prescriptions.
I take Nystaten daily, but when yeast gets bad, I will quit the Nystaten and begin taking Diflucan for awhile, thenwhen it is better, I will go back to the Nystaten.

Posts: 213 | From Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

According to drugs.com at http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=1096-630,300-144&professional=1

Interactions between your selected drugs

fluconazole ↔ azithromycin
Applies to: Diflucan (fluconazole), Zithromax (azithromycin)

MONITOR: Theoretically, concurrent use of two or more drugs that can cause QT interval prolongation may result in additive effects and increased risk of ventricular arrhythmias including torsade de pointes and sudden death.

The risk of an individual agent or a combination of these agents causing ventricular arrhythmia in association with QT prolongation is largely unpredictable but may be increased by certain underlying risk factors such as congenital long QT syndrome, cardiac disease, and electrolyte disturbances (e.g., hypokalemia, hypomagnesemia). In addition, the extent of drug-induced QT prolongation is dependent on the particular drug(s) involved and dosage(s) of the drug(s).

MANAGEMENT: Caution and clinical monitoring are recommended if multiple agents associated with QT interval prolongation are prescribed together.

Patients should be advised to seek prompt medical attention if they experience symptoms that could indicate the occurrence of torsade de pointes such as dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, palpitation, irregular heart rhythm, shortness of breath, or syncope.

My pharmacist actually called me and told me this could be deadly, so I advise not taking Diflucan when on Biaxin or Zithromax.

Nystatin should be safe, but always check to be sure.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Nystatin is generally very benign... but not very effective if you already have yeast. Better for prevention.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

chardbokchoy
Member # 45383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chardbokchoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just found out about this topic via a link when doing some research about something else while here on Lymenet. I'm kind of perturbed that these interactions are nowhere to be found on the drug interaction section of the pharmacy printouts for the Zithromax and Diflucan, and also that I wasn't informed about this from the doctor's office.

I'm currently taking Zithromax in a pulsed regimen with a couple of other abx a few times a week, and my Dr. prescribed the Diflucan to be taken once a week to help prevent yeast buildup.

If these two drugs are wrong together, then no wonder I've been experiencing what seems to be some heart beat irregularities!

I think that I will mention this concern the next time I see my doctor. More and more I'm thinking that I'd like to stop antibiotics for a while and do a mainly alternative protocol, anyway.

Posts: 35 | From Eastern U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlcd1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlcd1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So does this cause a problem just if were on the meds currently. Like if someone used to take zith and diflucan together but stopped could it have caused a permanent problem?
Posts: 908 | From Albany | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I'd be willing to bet that even the doctors don't know the answer to that question!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

triathlongal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for triathlongal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doc had me do a 3 day wash out of Biaxin or Zythro before taking Diflucan. You should have been informed!
Posts: 151 | From North East | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement