LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Understanding Urine pH

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Understanding Urine pH
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Testing your body with a pH strip:

The urine pH represents what we are eliminating.

The saliva pH represents what we are keeping.

The urine pH does not accurately represent the state of our body, it represents what it is eliminating: hopefully acidic wastes.

Heavy metals go into solution in acidic conditions.

I have some good literature on it and will post it later when I have time.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 6t5frlane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gigi where do you get these strips
Posts: 355 | From NY | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

6t5, ask around at pharmacies, drug stores, or some healthfood stores might carry it. You want to ask for
"pH Test Paper suitable for urine and salive (in vitro)".

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, acidic urine should be a good thing?

What does "Heavy Metals go into solution in acidic conditions" mean? I must be lymed, I can't make sense of that sentence.

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Yes, when you are detoxing effectively, urine is acidic. It's better to detox metals via the stool, because it protects/saves the kidneys. But some detox agents, such as NDF, detox via urine.

The only way the body can get metals out via urine is when it is acidic.

Metals are soluble in acidic solutions.
Persistently low urine pH is another way to diagnose mercury toxicity.

Take care.

GiGi
Member # 259

This article is from the fellow who invented NDF. It is a great detox agent and using it depends on patient condition. That's one reason why I have always stressed that nobody do this on their own. If you want to have good results, find someone that understands everything that follows below (on the first read, or at least the second )

Heavy metal detox, which is a necessity for the majority of Lyme patients, who are chronically ill, is tricky. It takes a lot of patience - and a good doctor.

he pH Management of Heavy Metal Detox
� 2003 Timothy Ray OMD LAc

Understanding Urine pH: A Paradigm Shift

The urine represents what we are eliminating, the saliva represents what we are keeping. The urine does not accurately represent the state of the body, but does represent what it is eliminating - ideally acidic wastes. The first morning saliva pH is the indicator of the state of the body: tissue, lymph, interstitial fluids and blood. In people with vibrant health, normal urine pH is about 5.8, normal saliva pH is about 7. I am not suggesting that one acidify the body by acidifying the urine, but that one alkalizes the body by draining the acids via the urine, represented by an acidic urine pH, and simultaneously restoring the alkaline reserve as represented by the saliva pH at 7.

I've noticed that people with a urine pH of 6.8 and above, who also have low urine conductivity, show disturbed Phase 1 & 2 liver detox pathways. If the acid wastes of metabolism, and other acidic toxins are successfully leaving the body, the urine pH will reflect this by being acidic, at about 5.8 - 6.0. If LiverLife (BioRay) is given to a person with liver dysfunction, their urine pH goes down and the conductivity comes up, and of course, they feel much better because the acids are now leaving the body. If one drains these acids, one also sees the saliva pH gradually return to where it should be, at about pH7, or alkaline.

People with a urine pH of near 7 tend to have pelvic congestion, and don't get rid of virus very efficiently; they also have trouble with detox - because the acids are recirculating instead of leaving the body.

When a person takes large amounts of K Citrate we could be seeing the urine pH go up because the body is spilling additional potassium that it cannot utilize. I think that eventually the exclusive restoration of the alkaline reserve will lead to improved liver function, so having an alkaline urine pH during this type of therapy (massive doses of alkaline forming minerals) is acceptable, because it probably masks the organic acid content of the urine during a pH reading. However, I find that simultaneously draining the acids by directly improving liver function while restoring the alkaline reserve leads to better clinical results, especially during detox of any kind.

Instructions:

1. Urine pH
Get some pH paper and measure your urine pH throughout the day.

a.) If the number goes higher than 5.8, start to take LiverLife (BioRay) at 1-3 droppersfull 2-3 times a day in between or before meals until the urine reaches 5.8 pH. LiverLife increases the elimination of acids by correcting Phase 1 & 2 liver detoxification pathways. Ramp up the dose until you find what works for you.

b.) If the urine pH is a number less than 5.8 focus on taking a good multi-mineral (that at minimum contains potassium, calcium, sodium and magnesium in a capsule or a liquid, not a hard tablet) with an enzyme supplement (like Wobenzyme) with meals until it goes up to 5.8 and then start NDF.

c.) If the number shifts radically up and down before and after meals, take both LiverLife and the minerals/enzymes until it becomes more regular.

2. Heavy Metal Detox - NDF
Start NDF, ramping up the dose slowly, never taking enough to make you feel worse, and keep checking the urine pH occasionally. If the acid cannot get out of your body, you will feel bad. (Full clinical information on the use of NDF is available at www.healthydetox.org.)

3. Water
I recommend taking an acidic water (reverse osmosis, distilled, penta-hydrate) with the dose of NDF and up to the second urination following the dose, as it contains no minerals; and then switching to an alkaline water (Volvic, Canadian Music, Nariwa) thereafter.

a.) If the urine is very dark and cloudy increase your water intake, not by taking a larger glass of good water, but by drinking a few ounces of good water more frequently.

b.) If the urine is very clear and has no color, decrease the volume of water taken at a sitting to a few ounces, hold it in your mouth for a while before swallowing, and drink only when thirsty.

Normal urine has a medium yellow and mostly transparent appearance. Use a high quality spring water, like Volvic or Canadian Music, not distilled or R/O or tap water for general drinking purposes. During detox: NO chlorine exposure! No probiotics! No alcohol with meals ever if you still have amalgam fillings in your teeth!

4. Diet
If you notice that your urine and saliva always go out of range during the next few hours after a meal, try changing your diet to eating the main foods that you ate during the first 5 years of your life (in a healthy form) and chew each bite to a liquid (i.e. instead of a Big Mac, a piece of organic, rare filet mignon on a piece of organic sprouted wheat or millet bread with a fresh green salad with lemon dressing). Check to see the impact of this on the pH's.

Because the volume of food we consume is greater than the volume and impact of the remedies we consume, diet has to be adjusted in order to reach a successful outcome. It may take you some experimentation to find the foods that allow your pH's to stay in normal range, but it is well worth the effort. Please see the paper 'Common Sense Health' on my website www.healthydetox.org for more detailed food suggestions.

Correcting Tissue Acidity
Excessive tissue acidity (free radicals, lactic and oxalic acid, etc. causing lack of oxygen) is a cause of pain and fatigue, but may not be the only cause. If the situation is complicated by viral, bacterial, parasitic and allergic causes, the tissue acidity caused by heavy metal toxicity will block the successful elimination of these other more superficial causes.

Your first morning saliva pH will tell you what your body is 'keeping'. Start to check it after a week or so. If it is less than 6.8 or greater than 7.2 continue with the LiverLife and or minerals/enzymes until it has stabilized in that range. (If saliva pH is greater than 7.2 it is usually an alkaline response of the buffers to excess tissue acidity and does not denote tissue alkalinity.) Stabilizing saliva pH can take longer than urine, months sometimes, so be patient with it. The more efficient you are at keeping the urine pH at 5.8, draining the acids, the sooner the saliva pH will respond towards normal alkalinity at 7. The goal is a saliva pH of 7 and a urine pH of 5.8. The longer they stay this way, the better a person generally feels, and the easier it is to treat other imbalances in their system. These suggested remedies are general ideas, and may not be the exact ones that you need to correct the problem, which is to normalize the elimination of acids via the urine and replenish the 'alkaline reserve' as seen by the saliva.

There are many causes of tissue acidity. I have posted a free Questionnaire at www.healthydetox.org to assist with identifying these Obstacles to progress. Identifying and eliminating these Obstacles is critical to a successful case outcome.

Heavy metals are acid forming, and NDF is very effective at neutralizing them and pulling them out of the body.....but the name of the game is slowly. Both DMPS and a 'healing crisis' cause and are an increase in tissue acidity, which hurts. So if you keep the pH's in normal range by adjusting the dosage and frequency of the remedies and water volume, you will be less likely to feel bad in general or during detox (ramping up the dose to tolerance point) with NDF. If you can keep the pH's in this range, you will probably notice that you can ramp up the dose of NDF more rapidly without having an aggravation! I am seeing that this is the way to prepare for, manage and speed up heavy metal detox.

Calcium Phosphorus Ratio
One cannot completely correct acidemia or free calcium levels or the calcium / phosphorus ratio prior to heavy metal detox because the heavy metals are acidic and acid forming by a multitude of pathways. I have seen this over and over again in clinic. The person is taking loads of minerals, eating alkaline forming foods, regulating their elimination, practicing stress relief, yet the first morning saliva pH stays acidic (= pain and low energy). Once the metals are removed, the restoration of the alkaline reserve proceeds more smoothly. Therefore, I now prefer to
1) improve liver function and drain acids,
2) restore the alkaline reserve, and
3) institute heavy metal and chemical detox -
at relatively the same time. Looking back over the years in clinic, this general approach has worked the best.

We're all on a learning curve with this issue. I think one of the reasons NDF has been able to work so well on its own is that it
1) improves liver function and stimulates the elimination of acids via the urine,
2) contributes nutrients and minerals towards the alkaline reserve, and
3) provokes heavy metal and chemical detox.
Using LiverLife first is simply a safety measure to insure that all of the acids can get out before any provocation takes place, also, some folks require more liver support than others. Same thing with the alkaline minerals - some require more than others. You can detect these differences by monitoring urine and saliva pH. That's not the whole story, as you will see when I introduce BTM (Biological Terrain Management) in the next few months, but it is enough of a general indicator to allow a person some measure of immediate and objective control during detox.

NOTE: If this doesn't make sense to you or if it doesn't start to work within a week, consult with your physician. Meanwhile, go to my website www.healthydetox.org and learn everything you can about metal detox and NDF. While you're there, if you still have amalgams in your teeth see the paper in Clinical Tips and the article "Mitigation of Methyl Mercury...." related to this subject as a high priority.

Take care.

Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, this is completely opposite of what I was told by a holistic MD I used to see in Los Angeles (he is very famous - was the first doctor I saw who used Great Smokies liver detox tests and much more - I learned so much about balancing Phase I and II from him).

Yet because my urine pH was always too acidic, he kept trying to get me to alkalinize myself through diet, supplements, etc. All the books I have on the topic talk about the importance of being alkaline - although I realize the article you posted does talk about testing alkalinity via the saliva.

I've only skimmed the information you posted - I am going back to re-read it in depth. Thank you so much for posting this.

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
henson2
Member # 463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for henson2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Gigi,

Thank you, as always, for your informative messages! Thank you for devoting the effort to help all of us.

I will go to your website and read more.

Do you know anything about holistic IV treatments (about 90 minutes each) that make the body more alkaline? I think they contain Vitamins B, C. (maybe sodicum bicarb but I'm not sure I have that right) and selenium and glutathione at the end.

My mainstream medicine PCP told me this would be worthless as the body would return itself to its prior pH level a few minutes after the IV treatment.

But a holistic Dr. is suggesting it helps some people fight infection.

I would be extremely grateful for any thoughts or insight you have. Could it help fight infection? Is my PCP right that the body just returns to its old pH?

With much gratitude

Posts: 1066 | From East Coast | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bump - I found it

Thanks GiGi

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow!! This is quite important, as most doctors in alternative medicine try to make the urine alkaline!!!

Best,

Cass A

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My morning urine pH is 7.5

I'm having a hard time understanding what this means and what I need to focus on.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Wow that's interesting. I def suffer from constipation and slow motility. Mostly from Bart/metals/paras

Could successful treatment help bring that down into detox range?

I've tried betaine HCL but it destroyed my colitis (descending colon)

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement