LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Terminalia Chebula - herb effective against biofilms?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Terminalia Chebula - herb effective against biofilms?
Looking
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Looking     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob posted in the Bionic thread about an article on a student who found that a molecule in the herb terminalia chebula kills the type of pseudomona that surrounds itself in biofilm that causes problems in Cystic Fibrosis.

This herb Terminalia Chebula, is also known in Sanskrit as Haritaki.

Found this pubmed info on this herbs use against cytomegalovirus in the lungs as well:

Department of Virology, Toyama Medical and Pharmaceutical University, Japan.

Hot water extracts of four traditional herbs, Geum japonicum, Syzygium aromaticum, Terminalia chebula and Rhus javanica, which have been shown to have anti-herpes simplex virus (HSV) activity in vivo, were examined for anti-cytomegalovirus (CMV) activity in vitro and in vivo in this study.

They inhibited replication of human CMV and murine CMV (MCMV) in vitro. These anti-CMV activities in vivo were examined in an MCMV infection model using immunosuppressed mice.

Mice were subcutaneously treated with various doses of cyclosporine, and immunosuppression and MCMV infection were monitored by suppression of antibody production and virus yield in the lung, respectively.

Each herbal extract was orally administered to mice treated with 50 mg/kg of cyclosporine from a day before intraperitoneal infection, and the efficacy of herbs was evaluated by the reduction in the virus yield in the lung.

Among them Geum japonicum, Syzygium aromaticum, and Terminalia chebula significantly suppressed MCMV yields in lungs of treated mice compared with water treatment.

Efficacy of oral treatment with 750 mg/kg per day of Geum japonicum extract was similar to that of the intraperitoneal administration of 2 mg/kg per day of ganciclovir in increasing the body weight of infected mice and reducing the virus yield in the lungs.

These herbs may be beneficial for the prophylaxis of CMV diseases in immunocompromised patients.

PMID: 8891165 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Posts: 590 | From Canada | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Excellent find. Thanks.

I love this herb. I have always love it.

You can read more about it, in general, here:

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/important-herbs/haritaki-fruit-terminalia-chebula.html

HARITAKI FRUIT (Terminalia chebula )

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler, how do you use it? Is the link where you purchase it? Or does some place like Whole Foods carry it?

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Terminalia is also part of the formula, Myrolea-B by White Tiger:

-

http://www.itmonline.org/arts/flu.htm

Myrolea-B (White Tiger) is a simple formulation of highly concentrated extracts from four Chinese herbs and one Western herb.

The Chinese herbs include forsythia and lonicera, two of the key ingredients of Ilex 15 (and the main antiviral ingredients of Yin Qiao Jie Du Pian), thus boosting the dosage of these essential ingredients.

Myrolea-B also contains the antiviral agents scute (huangqin) and terminalia (hezi). The Western herb in this formulation is olive leaf, which is one of the primary anti-viral herbs derived from the European tradition.

=================

http://www.itmonline.org/arts/shuang.htm

SHUANGHUANGLIAN: Potent Anti-Infection Combination of Lonicera, Forsythia, and Scute

- by Subhuti Dharmananda, Ph.D., Director, Institute for Traditional Medicine - 2003

Shuanghuanglian (SHL for short) is a modern formula that was devised in the 1960s to treat a variety of infections. It is comprised of the alcohol-water extracts of three herbs: lonicera (shuanghua, often called jinyinhua), scute (huangqin), and forsythia (lianqiao). . . .

. . . One of the early preparations of the SHL was a tablet made of equal proportions of the extracts of each herb. This was used to treat leptospirosis, a disorder caused by a spirochete bacteria, related to the organism that causes Lyme disease.

Leptospirosis causes initial symptoms of fever and chills, headache, and muscle ache (especially in the shoulders); these are consistent with "flu-like" symptoms described for the onset of many acute infections.

In a 1971 report, the formula was described as being made in 500 mg tablets derived from 3.7 grams of the crude herbs, and being administered in doses of 10-15 tablets (thus, equivalent to the extract of 37-55 grams of herbs) every 6 hours (1), a very high dosage.

. . . Recently, Shuanghuanglian has been applied successfully to treatment of Coxsackie B3,

. . . The general indications for SHL . . . are "relieving the exterior syndrome, clearing away heat and toxic material," and its indications are "treatment of fever, cough, and sore throat that arise from wind-heat syndrome."

It is said to have "a good action in treating upper respiratory tract infection, tonsillitis, laryngopharyngitis, pneumonia, acute enteritis, viral dysentery, etc., when caused by virus or bacterial infection."

- full article at link above.

==============

Many naturopathic physicians (N.D.s) carry the Seven Forest and White Tiger brand of supplement. You can also search by the name of the formula to find it. Here is just one source:

http://www.acuatlanta.net/myroleab-tablets-p-22018.html

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Six Goofy Kids,

I get it directly from ITM, the folks who make it as they are in my city - or from my ND.

I will PM you the phone number but it's best to find a source close to. I think the link just above here is in Atlanta. That would save on the carbon footprint and the shipping cost and time.

If it comes from ITM, that is 2,000 miles from you, but if you can't find a source closer, be sure to PM me and I will send their contact number.

--

I take 2 tablets, 3 times a day. The are all extracts so stronger than raw herbs. One ND said that I could increase it at times but that as a steady support, on-going, the usual dose should be okay.

I can't say that it's enough alone. At times I have felt great help with it. Still, I think it's still best as part of a plan.

-

Looking
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Looking     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you google "Organic Haritaki" you can buy it in bulk powder form without any of the additives that are in some capsules.
Posts: 590 | From Canada | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Keebler. Shortness of breath is my only remaining symptom (and the fatigue it sometimes causes) .... so this might be the missing piece of my plan. [Smile]

I'd love to have the phone number. Thanks.

--------------------

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Looking
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13600

One other thing, it has mild laxative properties so if you take it, start out slow until you see how it affects you.
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

I could use the mild laxative, actually. I have to take mag and vitamin C as it is.

Does anyone know where to purchase just this herb not in combination with other herbs?

Keebler, I don't see the terminalia in the product in the link you posted .... the terminalia wasn't the chebula. Is it the same?

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Six:

it's the last ingredient: Myrolea-B also contains the antiviral agents scute (huangqin) and terminalia (hezi).

I have the book and the product page for this (it is not online). Two tablets contain 200 mg. of extract of Terminalia chebula, etc.

From P. 325 of "Bag of Pearls" you can find the book at http://www.itmonline.org/bag_of_pearls.htm

-

Alv
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found this and is cheap...and organic...( getting rid of biofilm is very important...)

http://www.herbalremedies.com/ayurvedic-haritaki-fruit-powder.html

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Alv,

You asked for a number. Your mailbox if full so I can't send a PM.

And, hey, that link you just posted is to an excellent site. I like that it's certified organic. Be sure to order a "gram spoon" so that you can measure precisely.

Note that the powder does not seem to be an extract as in the Myrolea-B. You can refer back to this link for guidance on dose, etc.:

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/important-herbs/haritaki-fruit-terminalia-chebula.html

=========

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/language-of-herbs/

The Language of Herbs - Essential Concepts and Vocabulary - (Tillotson)

This explains the differences in usage, dosing and effects in raw herbs vs. tinctures, extracts, etc.

-

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Thanks for the information. [Smile] I'll let you know how it goes.

--------------------

R62
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for R62     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Triphala works?

http://www.vitacost.com/Planetary-Herbals-Triphala

Posts: 861 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This past week I've been taking in the form triphala powder. I put it my mouth and although quite bitter, it has amazing properties. It probably kills all the bad bacteria in your mouth. I believe it increases the bodies ability to uptake oxygen. Plus, it helps the body to hydrate (obserbation based on less thirst). These are just some of the things I've observed.

For a week I took quite a bit now I have to slow it down now.

I think the best way to take is to buy a pound of powder and create your own tincture. I'm trying to figure out how this can be done with a powder.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last time I tried Triphala, I felt awful (years ago). Maybe that's a good thing?

If sinus biofilms are the problem.....

Manuka honey from New Zealand and Sidr honey from Yemen have both been found to break up those nasty biofilms in chronic sinus problems...... but I don't know if it could act on other biofilms in the body. I see that VitaCost carries Manuka honey...

I've always felt lousy and get indigestion if I consume honey, maybe for the same reasons Triphala affects me badly.....

Google biofilms + manuka + honey, or biofilms + sidr + honey. You will get all kinds of references/ studies about this.

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R62
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for R62     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How are you dosing the powder.. I am not tincture literate at the moment.:-)

I have the triphala here. Heard it was good for constipation on a lyme list. Any suggestions for dosage for biofilm?

Posts: 861 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R62
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18531

I'm not sure if this is relevent or not.. on the mystery bug thread here there was talk about the bug possibly being similar to one(s) implicated in cystic fibrosis.. as in article linked above.. the biofilm helps the bacteria cling to the lung wall.. I skimmed... surely other places as well... just wondering if a connection might be here between the "mystery bug" and Haritaki.
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll bet there is a connection, the bug is similar to h-pylori using a shield to protect itself from the immune system. Get rid of the shield and you get rid of the organism.

I'm dosing with the powder a 1/4 teaspoon of powder 4 times a day. Or one teaspoon and 1/2 a day, a rounded up 1/4 teaspoon more for me. I'm just guessing at 6' 1" I'm a bit larger then you ladies. [lol]

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

UnexpectedIlls posted a comment on another site stating this herb should be pulsed. maybe 4 days on and 3 days off or 5 days on 2 days off.

If you don't energetically test, you might try getting a good feel what work or doesn't if you decide to try this herb.

good luck

--------------------
Bob

lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

I really like the triphala powder I'm taking divided doses with and believe it helps a great deal. Especially breathing! Which has definitely improved. I noticed there is hardly any plaque in my mouth at the end of the day. I'm taking the powder 1/8 of a teaspoon at a time for 1 teaspoon a day 5 days on 2 days off.

Just thought I'd report my progress using it. Anybody else tried it yet? If so, what have you noticed?

--------------------
Bob

ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob, you asked about other people trying triphala:

I got some Triphala tablets [Planetary Herbals, 180 tabs of 1,000 mg] from iherb.com and started with one tablet on Thurs eve [3 days ago].

On Friday I stuck to one tablet, but this time twice a day [which represents half the suggested dosage of 2 tabs x 2] and yesterday I stuck to one in am , but increased to 2 in the evening.

Up to that point I had noticed no particular change and today I have gone to full dose of 2 tabs am and pm.

Results are that I have felt worse and worse all day, v. 'toxic', nauseous, bloated, head spinning, oedema in legs worse than usual, increased neuropathies and extra achy, especially in the arms. I also notice that my tongue is sore and tingly, which I think may be metals, as I had that a lot before my amalgams came out.

Finally I had a short, but explosive toilet visit [sorry!], so I am pretty sure the triphala has caused the reaction, either as a Herx [hopefully] or by stirring things up generally.

Has anyone had similar experiences with it?

Carry

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
capebite
Member # 9789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for capebite   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one hs posted on this thread for a while?? I started haritaki powder last night and started herxing today. leg pain, fog, anxiety, feling ytoxic. I have the fry mystery bug. What are recent impressions about haritaki biofilms etc?
Posts: 67 | From cape cod | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

I think it is a very important herb toward regaining balance in the body. It takes awhile, but it can't work alone. It definitely works best in cobination.

You may want to pulse its use 5 days on 2 days off or 4 days on 3 days off.

Good luck

--------------------
Bob

dan67
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dan67     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any update on terminalia chebula or Triphala?
Posts: 641 | From Nevada | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
If you are looking for doctors who would know more:
-------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/2/13964

How to find an ILADS-educated LL:

N.D. (Naturopathic Doctor);

L.Ac. (Acupuncturist);

D.Ay. (Doctor of Ayurvedic Medicine);

D.O.M. (Doctor of Oriental Medicine);

Integrative / Holistic M.D., etc.

Links to many articles and books by holistic-minded LL doctors of various degrees, etc.

Article and Book links, etc.
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement