LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What Cortef Dosage are you Taking

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What Cortef Dosage are you Taking
Lulu44
Member # 23420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lulu44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have come back on very low Blood cortisol reading all day and now have to replace with Cortef to get me back in to range.

Is anyone else on Cortef and if so what dosages are you taking

Posts: 52 | From Ireland | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
15 mg in the am, and 5 mg with lunch.

I also take Florinef.

But - I'm not saying this is the best option for you. My adrenals don't work at all, as I have Addison's Disease (Adrenal Insufficiency) which is not the same as adrenal fatigue.

You might consider adrenal support other than Cortef - many here have had success with that.

You could give adrenal support a shot for a few months before deciding about starting Cortef.

massman should show up soon and talk about healing your organs [Smile] - and hopefully others will show up with concrete suggestions for adrenal support.

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lulu44
Member # 23420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lulu44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cactus:
[QB] 15 mg in the am, and 5 mg with lunch.
But - I'm not saying this is the best option for you. My adrenals don't work at all, as I have Addison's Disease (Adrenal Insufficiency) which is not the same as adrenal fatigue.

Well my Endo said I have such low adrenal output I mean below reference range all day that I have to be on Cortef - He did an Synathen Stimulation test and I dont have addisons as it responed but my cortisol is non existant. He is going to set my dosage again and run a post blood day curve to ensure I am not over medicated.

My adrenals are just not working so I have no other option than Cortef - so I will be on normal and timed release - He is Lyme literate BTW so knows not to overmedicate

Your dose is very low for an addisionian as my friend is on 35mg a day and more in a crisis

Posts: 52 | From Ireland | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like you have a good doc.

Yes - my dose is low compared to some. We're all different. I started lower, but had to raise and had to add the Florinef (which made a huge difference).

In a crisis, of course my dose is much higher.

And I also stress dose whenever necessary, and basically double my dose (so 40 mg).

But for the most part, 20 mg + the Florinef works.

You might want to ask your doc if a Medic Alert bracelet is a good idea - I know that was something my doc insisted on.

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lulu44
Member # 23420

Thanks Cactus, I still produce in a crisis situaion as I responded to the stim test but have very low adreenal output so I am not noted as addision. Strangely as the infections are reated my output is raising slightly.

I like the Timed release cortisol idea as then you dont get the peaks and troughs and its less likely that you will run out of cortisol - so I take a norlam 7am cortef + Florinef and at 1pm I take a timed release that remains in the body for 8 hours

I think most lyme patients should get a detailed blood day curve run as withought cortisol your immune system is impaired and you cant function - people get So overtly freaked out by cortef but you only replace what your body does not make its a bit like not giving a diabetic insulin STUPID

I wish more LLMD's would look at this as infection has to impact on everyones adrenals -and as long as your not overmedicated and on a natural replacement like cortef and not prednisone than all is well.

Lets hope eventually our adrenals will heal - mind you saying that I think mune is more pituitary as I responded to the stim test

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
10mg in the a.m.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zil
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have Addison's. I take 20mg of cortef daily as well. 15mg am and 5mg lunch. Use to take 30mg/day and my endo told me that was too much and thinking now days was 15 to 20 mg was replacement dose. I take 0,1mg florinef.
Posts: 383 | From Ar | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watch the doses over 20 mg, that is equal to 5 mg of Prednisone and you will shut off your adrenal glands. Bad idea!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lulu44
Member # 23420

Thanks Everyone,

I think my Maximum dose is going to be 15mg a day and it will be checked with a serum Cortisol Day curve

Was so freaked out about Steroids and Lyme but my LLMD says the deal with steroids and Lyme are problamatic when the dose is way higher and then it suppresses the immune system, so much higher doses and the bad steroid is prednisone

I suppose I am only replacing what I dont produce but it still freaks me out - But he said if i dont take what I need that also lowers the immune system.......

Incredible to know so many addisionian's with Lyme - or should I say Lyme could probably be the cause of addisions in some people

elley0531
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elley0531     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
15-20mg a day
Posts: 594 | From NJ/NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tiffagoo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23750

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tiffagoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doctor just added cortef to my antibiotic regiment. He hasn't done any specific test for my adrenals, but he did do a general blood test and liver check. (I'm on a standing order blood test every 4 weeks to check my liver)

I'm currently taking 500mg zithromax, 1000mg omnicef, 500 mg tindamax, artimisinin (pulse), crypto plus (5 drops 2x a day), zinc 25 mg, 2 vsl3 tablets, and 5,000 iu vitamin D3. I'm pretty sure that's it. Oh, and he just added the cortef and doryx.

I guess I'm just wondering why he put me on the cortef. I told him I've been slightly sluggish lately and my tongue is velvety feeling.

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks tiffagoo

Posts: 151 | From california | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elley0531
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elley0531     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how much cortef? And you're sure he didn't check your cortisol or ACTH levels?
Posts: 594 | From NJ/NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tiffagoo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23750

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tiffagoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no, he hasn't checked my levels. He is a well known LLMD, and I really trust him. However, doctors are not gods, and I need to be my own advocate. I actually asked my PC doctor for a adrenal test. And I have it, but my insurance doesn't cover the test. And to be honest, I don't have a few hundred dollars to spare for the test.

I think my LLMD is basing it on my symptoms. I haven't actually started cortef yet, but I have picked them up from the pharmacy today. He wants me to start slow. I suppose to max out at 5 mg twice a day. To start off he told me to take a half of a 5mg pill twice a day, and go up from there.

Posts: 151 | From california | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lulu44
Member # 23420

quote:
Originally posted by elley0531:
15-20mg a day

Elley, do you have addisons or just severe adrenal fatigue.

So is there a SAFE Cortef dosage with Lyme

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement