LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

Tax deductible

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.
In the United States, your donations are tax deductible.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Can Babesia Cause Anxiety/depression

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can Babesia Cause Anxiety/depression
Lulu44
Member # 23420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lulu44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it possible for Babesia to cause severe emotional issues like anxiety/depression and psychiatric problems?

When I treat Babesi all of the above get worse then better but I have stopped treating and all the above have come back as have many physical symptoms, air hunger, loss of mobility etc

I never see anyone say Babesia can cause these emotional issues so am looking for anyone that has these with sever Babesia

Posts: 52 | From Ireland | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenny76
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenny76     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutely Babesia can cause this. There is no doubt that these symptoms can be heightened during babesia treatment especially from some of the meds.

Are you on Mepron?

Yes, Yes, Yes babesia causes these symptoms for people!! I am sure there will be many more responses.

--------------------
Never, Never, Never give up!

Posts: 395 | From Connecticut | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
julielynne4
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes for me too. Especially on Mepron. Just started it up again yesterday. I agree though, I usually see these symptoms associated with Bartonella. But I think they can go hand in hand with Babs as well. JL
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anything that inflames the body can cause these symptoms. Inflammation is a natural part of the immune response, but chronic inflammation is not beneficial.

It took me thirty years to find that out, as it was the cause of my depression. I wish I would have found out a little sooner than that, but that's the way it goes.

Dan

Posts: 2893 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tick battler
Member # 21113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tick battler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, yes, yes. I see it with my children. They cry much easier when their babesia is bad.

There is an article by a mainstream doc about babs - can't find it now, but it lists "emotional lability" as a symtom of babesia, as well as anorexia.

You will find it probably if you search, as I have posted it before.

tickbattler

Posts: 1763 | From Malvern, PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
First: be sure you are not getting even a trace of ASPARTAME or MSG (Search Google for all the names). Check all your labels, even of mints, cough drops, cough syrup, toothpaste, etc. It's also in some medicines (inlcuding the "lite" versions of Cholestyramine and Welchol). Even a trace of either one will create anxiety as it triggers an excitatory neuro-toxic cascade.

=================

Very helpful support for mood: FIsh Oil / Krill Oil / OmegaBrite

==================

To help lessen inflammation, and offer adrenal support which, in turns, help our ability to handle stress:

http://tinyurl.com/y8bd9k2

CURCUMIN Prevents Some Stress-Related Changes (Curcumin is Turmeric Extract)

Excerpts:

A recently published study investigated the effects of curcumin, a constituent of the botanical turmeric, on changes in cognition and memory caused by stress. . . .

. . . In this new study, researchers investigated the effect of curcumin supplementation on stress-induced learning defects in mice. . . .

. . . In addition, curcumin reversed the stress-induced increase in the levels of serum corticosterone, the primary hormone secreted during the stress response. . . .

[poster's insert: for help to lift brain fog] . . . The researchers concluded, ``Thus, curcumin may be an effective therapeutic for learning and memory disturbances as was seen within these stress models, and

its neuroprotective effect was mediated in part by normalizing the corticosterone response, resulting in down-regulating of the phosphorylated calcium/calmodulin kinase II and glutamate receptor levels.''

=======================

http://www.tillotsoninstitute.com/important-herbs/turmeric-root-curcuma-longa.html

TURMERIC ROOT (Curcuma longa)

WHAT IT DOES: Turmeric root is bitter in taste and warming in action. It strongly reduces inflammation and mucus in all parts of the body, protects the liver, lungs and intestines, and helps prevent and treat cancer.
. . .

SAFETY ISSUES: Due to mucin-reducing effects, do not use the concentrated extract (curcumin) or oil in high doses, especially if you have bile duct obstruction, gall stones, or stomach ulcers. Use turmeric as a spice freely.

- be sure to see full article at link above. From ``The One Earth Herbal Sourcebook'' (Tilltoson, et.al.)

================

CORDYCEPS (a Medicinal mushroom) is recommend here. It is a wonderful support for lung function - and it gently helps endurance and mood related to adrenal stress:

This is included in Burrascano's Guidelines, but you may want to be able to refer to it separately, too:

http://www.lymepa.org/Nutritional_Supplements.pdf

Nutritional Supplements in Disseminated Lyme Disease

J.J. Burrascano, Jr., MD (2008)

================

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/important-herbs/cordyceps-mushroom-cordyceps-sinensis.html

CORDYCEPS MUSHROOM (Cordyceps sinensis)

Cordyceps mushroom is sweet and bland in taste, and warming in action. It strengthens immunity and fortifies and heals the lungs, heart and kidneys. Used as a tonic for weakness in the elderly and to promote longevity. . . .

- Full chapter at link above.

From: The One Earth Herbal Sourcebook (Tilltoson, et. al.)

=====================

http://www.functionalingredientsmag.com/fimag/articleDisplay.asp?strArticleId=553&strSite=FFNSite

How nutrients and neurology influence a body's defences - by Anthony Almada - September 01, 2004

Medicinal mushrooms also contain terpenoids with anti-infectious properties.

Excerpt: . . . Bioxanthracenes from Cordyceps pseudomilitaris BCC 1620 demonstrated anti-malarial activity.37 . . . .

=======================

Great information about treatments options and support measures, including those to help lessen pain, inflammation and to help liver & adrenal/endocrine function:

http://tinyurl.com/6lq3pb (through Amazon)

THE LYME DISEASE SOLUTION (2008)

- by Kenneth B. Singleton , MD; James A. Duke. Ph.D. (Foreword)

You can read more about it here and see customer reviews.

Web site: www.lymedoctor.com

======================

http://www.prohealth.com/ME-CFS/library/showArticle.cfm?libid=14383&B1=EM031109C

http://tinyurl.com/detwtt

Underactive Adrenal Gland - Stresses and Problems with the Body's 'Gear Box' - by Dr. Sarah Myhill, MD

=======================

Many libraries carry this book and you can read 95 customer reviews here (average 4.5 star out of 5) AND see inside the book:

www.amazon.com/Adrenal-Fatigue-Century-Stress-Syndrome/dp/1890572152/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263516913&sr=8-1

Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome

~ James L. Wilson, ND, DC, PhD, Johnathan V. Wright, MD

About $10. And qualifies for free shipping with a total $25. Purchase at Amazon

=====================

SLEEP in essential. However, many sleep meds and over the counter sleep "aids" can be very hard on the liver, increasing toxicity in the body and chemical sensitivities in the brain - and that can just shoot down our adrenal stability. Here are some things that can help:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP - Links to articles & supplements

=========================

Toxicity, too, just sinks our ability to handle stress. It add to inflammation as well.
-----------

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/diseases/understanding-the-liver.html

UNDERSTANDING THE LIVER

==========================

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/diseases/herbs-to-help-the-liver.html

HERBS TO HELP THE LIVER

Excerpts:

. . . The important thing to remember is that the liver is a hot (metabolically active) organ, and so tends to get congested and inflamed. . . .

PROTECTION

Turmeric root, wheat sprouts, schisandra berries, amla fruit, beet root and milk thistle seed are among the major sources of protective anti-oxidants for the liver cells, as are fruits that contain flavonoids, especially citrus fruits.

These should be used to prevent development of inflammatory disease, or for damage protection as in the case of persons taking strong chemical drugs or undergoing chemotherapy. . . .

DEFICIENCY

The liver can become weakened and deficient. If this is not corrected, it can lead to liver atrophy and depletion of glycogen stores, even hepatitis. Signs include fatigue, low blood pressure, hypoglycemia, dry eyes, headache, heat symptoms and irritability . . . .

HEAT & INFLAMMATION

To remove excess liver inflammation with heat signs or toxins . . . .

PAIN

If there is liver inflammation with signs of pain and tension, use herbs that calm the liver and move the blood . . . .

- Full chapter at link above.

=====================

http://www.vrp.com/articles.aspx?ProdID=art1890&zTYPE=2

LIVER PROTECTION: Laying the Foundation for Optimal Hepatic Health - By Kathy E. Acquistapace, DC, NHP, CNC

=====================

You may want to copy and paste this list to a file on your computer for easier reading and reference. Each one of the articles above will serve you throughout the entire time of your treatment. Good luck.
-

Posts: 47698 | From Tranquil Tree House in my dreams | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lulu44
Member # 23420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lulu44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jenny76:
Absolutely Babesia can cause this. There is no doubt that these symptoms can be heightened during babesia treatment especially from some of the meds.

But if you are not on treatment can these symptoms present as part of babesia - I know they get worse on treatment but right now i am not on Babesia treatment - I am hoping to go back on it.
Posts: 52 | From Ireland | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your body is still aware of the infection and is trying to eliminate it, so inflammation would be part of that process.

If it was able to eliminate it, then the inflammation would be short lived, as it would be in person with a normal immune function. Since Lymies have a suppresed immune function, it can be a on going battle with no resolution, then you get chronic inflammation.

Turmeric is about the best supplement to use because it adresses so many problems in additon to inflammation.

Dan

Posts: 2893 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement

© 1993-2019 The Lyme Disease Network of New Jersey, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Use of the LymeNet Site is subject to the Terms and Conditions.