LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Aminoglucoside Antibiotics Causing Hearing Loss

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Aminoglucoside Antibiotics Causing Hearing Loss
Marrit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marrit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone been tested for the 1555A-G mutation? Apparently people with this mutation are susceptible to deafness from aminoglucoside antibiotics (irreversible!). Classes of antibiotics are listed below. ARUP does the tests ...

Aminoglycoside Antibiotics

Generic Brand Name

Amikacin Amikin
Gentamicin Garamycin, G-Mycin, Jenamicin
Kanamycin Kantrex
Neomycin Mycifradin, Myciguent
Netilmicin Netromycin
Paromomycin
Streptomycin
Tobramycin Nebcin

Hearing Loss Due To Antibiotics May Be Prevented By Genetically Screening Patients Beforehand

Article Date: 20 Oct 2007 - 0:00 PDT

Some patients have a genetic mutation which means they are more at risk of hearing loss after taking antibiotics called aminoglycosides. Experts, writing in the British Medical Journal (BMJ) believe that screening patients for this genetic mutation may prevent this.

The writers, Maria Bitner-Glindzicz and Shamima Rahman, the Institute of Child health, London, England, explain that aminoglycosides are valuable antibiotics for such serious infections as complicated urinary tract infections, tuberculosis and septicemia. They are known to potentially cause damage to the ear (otoxicity). However, what isn't well known is that there are people who have an inherited predisposition that makes them extremely sensitive to the effects - they can end up with severe and permanent hearing loss.

Approximately 5% of deafness in children in the UK is caused by this mutation, known as m.1555A-G. About 1 in 40,000 people in the UK have this mutation. Studies in other countries have indicated much higher incidences, in New Zealand it is thought to occur in 1 in 206 cases of newborns, and 1 in 1,161 in the USA (also newborns).

Families carrying this mutation, even if they never take aminoglycosides, may develop some degree of deafness later in life.

A study carried out in Spain found that 27% of families which included two deaf people were positive for this mutation. It was also found that everybody who had this mutation in Spain and took aminoglycosides suffered from hearing loss. A person who had taken aminoglycosides had a 96.5% of becoming deaf by the age of 30 if he/she had been exposed to aminoglycosides, while 38.9% of those who had never taken it became deaf.

The authors write that aminoglycosides are a major environmental modifier of the m.1555A-G mutation.

It is possible to prevent deafness brought on by aminoglycosides in individuals who have this genetic mutation, explain the authors. Doctors who have patients who are deaf are well aware of this mutation. Many doctors, however, do not know about this susceptibility, and many others do not know that mutation testing is available.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/86150.php

Posts: 277 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blinkie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is an interesting find. I took gentamicin for a few weeks. I think my hearing could have been slightly affeted, but nothing really noticable. More like, the TV just gets turned up a few more notches.

I think I may have had endocarditis from bart and that treatment took care of it. Worth it to me. But, if I had this information and tested positive for the gene, I would have thought twice about taking it.

Good find.

Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Damage to the ears can affect every other system of our body - it's far more than just hearing. Just consider:

http://www.vestibular.org/vestibular-disorders/symptoms.php

VESTIBULAR SYMPTOMS

====================

Marrit,

thanks so much for posting that article, I'm VERY Interested in all matters of the ears as mine have taken so many hits.

I'll copy this thread over the Tinnitus thread where there's a growing collection of ear links and many links regarding Ototoxic and Vestibular toxic substances.

Liver and kidney dysfunction can also make an otherwise non-ototoxic drug toxic to one's ears. Just another reason why liver support is so very important.

By the way, aspirin can damage anyone's ears. The book by Bauman, listed at this thread is very illuminating:

==========

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links - including HYPERACUSIS
-

[ 05-28-2010, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marrit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marrit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Keebler,

You're welcome. My ears were hit hard ~ 4 years ago with sudden tinnitus that has not gone away. My first audiology test showed moderate to severe hearing loss in L ear (side with T). Right ear was normal. Within a few months I noticed the L was coming back some, but then the R ear went down. So, now I have hearing loss in both ears (moderate), and it seems to fluctuate. This past week after a few days of low dose Flagyl I noticed another sound beginning in addition to the tinnitus, more of a hum or buzz (like a motor). In addition, the L ear was worse for several days.
I had a flare up (or virus) last Spring that caused me to go nearly deaf for one night (scary!)

See my most recent post. Meniere's is believed to be caused by one or more of the Herpes viruses. I don't actually have vertigo, only had an episode one night after tan ENT vacuumed out my ears (talk about ear trauma - the tinnitus was screeching for awhile after that and ears very painful). Although I don't have Meniere's, I suspect my ear issues are viral. In one study, Meniere's patients got rid of the vertigo with anti-virals. Not sure if hearing would come back with anti-viral treatment, but wouldn't that be great!

Posts: 277 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement