LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Seeking a Doctor » There is a great LLMD in AL

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: There is a great LLMD in AL
sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish ppl would stop telling newbies that there are no LLMD's in the south. I was extremely ill and was completely cured by a great LLMD in AL.

There was one person on here that didn't like him because he spoke the truth to her, and she constantly bad mouthed him. She was so wrong. She PM ed me the reason she didn't like him and it was ridiculous.

He has researched Lyme for over 30 years. He is absolutely brilliant and literally performed a miracle on me.

So many ppl are missing out on treatment from him because of one person's experience. That is such a shame. It breaks my heart because some ppl can't afford to travel great distances for treatment. Yet they are told that there is no one close to them. And that's just not so.

SG

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suggest that when someone asks for a lyme doctor in Alabama, you write to them and give them the doctor's name.

That will take care of the problem.

This is the first I heard that there was a lyme doctor there, and I am happy to hear it.

I saw a recent post where the new person wanted a lyme doc in Alabama. Instead of sending them a private message and telling them about this doc, you told them to write to you if they wanted the name. Since they posted that they wanted names in Alabama, I was just wondering why you didn't just send the name.

I think that will solve the problem. I made a note of your post for future reference. I hope you look out for those wanting names in Alabama since you know the name of a good doc.

I don't know anything about one person not liking a lyme doc in Alabama and so causing this misstatement of fact.

But, I know that if you help those who want doctors in Alabama by sharing your info, nobody needs to miss out on getting help from this doc any longer.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did end up sending them the info, because I realized after I posted that I could PM them. I haven't been on here for a while. I'm a little rusty!
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Oh yea, since I'm well I don't get on here much. So that's why I wanted to mention that there is a doc in AL. So others could mention it and maybe they could find him. I found him through Mississippi Lyme support group.
hopingandpraying
Member # 9256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopingandpraying     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much for providing this information. It truly is very good to know and invaluable as others will benefit from it.

Those of us who spend a lot of time voluntarily sending out information are greatly helped by people like you willing to share important information about any good LLMD (who are far and few between, as we all know!).

Please pm me and send me the name, contact information as well as any other info about this LLMD in Alabama you can provide. I will add it to my lists and send it out when people request it. Thank you.

Posts: 8639 | From Illinois | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please post the first letter of this doctor's last name so people will know which doctor you are talking about when we get future requests.

That will help a lot.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will continue to pass along info I have received on this doctor. It is not good information.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 94228 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Lymetoo, there was one person in particular on lymenet that tried to give him a bad name. All I know is I went to him for 4 and 1/2 years and I only have great things to say about him. He is a brilliant man but for some reason he isn't getting the credit he deserves.

I know so many ppl that were completely cured by him. I just hate to see ppl that can't afford to travel, miss good treatment because they aren't being told he is close by.

I see ppl on lymenet that were here even before me, going to all these doctors suggested on here and some are still not better. My doctor got me well and he told me he would never ever give up on me and he never did.

TF, I will PM you the letter.

TF
Member # 14183

sutherngrl is talking about a Dr. M. in Alabama.
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the impression that he was either semi-retired or retired. Not true?

People frequently have different opinions about doctors.

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luuluulyyyme
Member # 47217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luuluulyyyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just stumbled across this post and feel the need to both defend myself and explain. I'm the one that Suthern is speaking of. For what it's worth, I'm lymielauren27 but I can't remember my old password so I had to create a new account.

Nine years ago, after being diagnosed with Lyme, I started treating with the doctor in Alabama. I was very sick, weighed 92 pounds and had severe neurological symptoms.

I treated with him for eighteen months and made some progress, but very little. During this time I also discovered Lymenet (which has been invaluable to me over the years) and started connecting with seasoned Lyme veterans who really knew their stuff.

It was through them that I learned about coinfections and how serious they can be. In my eighteen months of treating with Dr. M in Alabama he never brought up coinfections!!

After speaking with people on this forum I realized that I had every, single symptom of Babesia. I went to him at my next appointment and told him that I was certain that I had babs and that I wanted to treat for it.

He explained to me that *sometimes* people can be coinfected but that with proper Lyme treatment most people's immune systems cleared the coinfections on their own.

I wasn't buying it. At this point I'd been on this forum long enough to know that wasn't the case. I was firm, I stood my ground and demanded some sort of babesia treatment. He agreed and put me on Malarone. TWO A DAY!

That's right, one Malarone in the morning and one in the evening. He never prescribed a macrolide antibiotic to go along with it as he didn't feel it was necessary.

, I improved in that first month. For the first time in three years I had an appetite. I could finally eat without unrelenting nausea. My dark urine, which had been my constant companion for longer than I could remember turned a nice, pale yellow.

My chronic head pressure relented, I could think clearly and my Parkinson-like shakes disappeared. I was ecstatic!

After a couple of months or so I started getting diminishing returns on my improvements. After speaking with more Lyme veterans here I learned that my Malarone dose was way too low and that I needed a macrolide to prevent babesia resistance.

At my next appointment I related this info to Dr. M and asked him to PLEASE increase my Malarone dosage and add Zithromax. He added the Zith but told me the Malarone dosage was sufficient - he flat out refused to increase it.

I stayed with Dr. M for a few more months but quickly plateaued. To make a long story short, I finally moved on to a more skilled LLMD and eventually to a third who is one of the best and well known in the country.

My biggest issue? I have atavoquone-resistant babesia and it's completely unresponsive to most meds. Chronic babesia has now been an almost decade long battle for me.

Would I have developed atavoquone-resistant babs anyways, even if I'd received proper, ILADS approved babesia treatment? Maybe. I don't know.

But I do know that the under-treatment of such a serious infection surely didn't help my case. It's possible (likely?) that this set the stage for the monster that I'm dealing with now, basically a babesia superinfection.

I don't hate Dr. M and my purpose in writing this isn't to bash him or throw him under the bus. He was the doctor who correctly diagnosed me with Lyme and I'm grateful for him in that regard. Who knows how much longer I would've remained ill and misdiagnosed.

That said, I cannot stress enough the importance of finding an ILADS trained Doctor. If your Lyme Doctor isn't a member of ILADS and doesn't attend the conferences and isn't interested in evolving along with this illness, RUN!!! Don't walk, run in the other direction!

Your life, your livelihood, your wellbeing is at stake! I WISH I'd known ten years ago what I know now.

Dr. M is a kind man, he's very likable and I truly believe he has the best of intentions. But folks, kindness and the best intentions in the world won't get you well.

You need skill and knowledge with an extra side of skill and knowledge and more skill and knowledge piled on top of that. Trust me, I know!!

I'll end with this: I NEVER bashed Dr. M to Sutherngirl or anyone else. I simply relayed my experience, as written above, it wasn't what she wanted to hear and she became very hostile towards me which is unfortunate.

I'm thrilled that he got her well and I mean that with all my heart. I know of others who've reached remission with him as well but I know many more who remained sick or deteriorated under his care.

Moral of the story: Do your research, be your own advocate and hire the best ILADS trained Doctor you can afford.

~ Lauren

(breaking up the text for easier reading for many here)

[ 01-03-2016, 02:05 AM: Message edited by: Robin123 ]

--------------------
The only way out is through.

Posts: 4 | From The South | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for coming back to explain this. It's important that Lyme-treating doctors understand treatment for co-infections also.
Posts: 12921 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well said Lauren.
Posts: 4677 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamahawk70
Member # 47358

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mamahawk70     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where are the AL LLMD's?
Posts: 2 | From Alabama | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement

© 1993-2020 The Lyme Disease Network of New Jersey, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Use of the LymeNet Site is subject to the Terms and Conditions.