LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

Tax deductible

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.
In the United States, your donations are tax deductible.

LymeNet Flash
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Exercise: what you Can do today—May 5

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Exercise: what you Can do today—May 5
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 6 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a great day to be outside. Sunny and in the 70s. No matter where you are or no matter the weather I hope you can get some exercise in and report it here. 😀

I cruised around my yard today. Normally my perennial bed in the front of my house is full of coreopsis and columbine with a few lilies. However, the coreopsis and columbine did not come back for the first time since I’ve lived here. 😩

I’ve lived here for 30 years and now my perennial bed is just weed laden. I pulled out some of the weeds but I’m not going to risk falling over or straining muscles with this shoulder in a sling so gave up after a little while.

I have done two of my three rounds of shoulder exercises for the day. One more to go tonight.

I’m off to make my weekly call to my mom.

Have a super week! [hi]

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 5549 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My exercise consisted of walking all over the church this morning .. then at Walmart.

That's it .. oh, and I washed dishes.

I'm off to the show tonight. Haven't been since last Sunday.

My friend made it home from CA .. the Mastocytosis conference was there. Flying was quite the challenge, but she made it!

(She even passed out on the tran between terminals in Dallas...I guess she was sitting down, so she didn't hurt herself.)

Gotta get my haircut tomorrow. May buy a new phone. They are offering me $300 off.

hiker .. NOPE .. no gardening yet!

--------------------
 -
oops!
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 93615 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5960

Icon 6 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Hiker for getting us off and running for another week!

I agree with TuTu about not doing any kind of yard work yet. You might have to wait until next year. Don't hurt yourself!

That sure is scary about your friend passing out TuTu! Wal-Mart walking counts as exercise in my book!

Just got home a little while ago from taking my Mom and her BFF to Atlanta for a friend's husband's funeral. Everything went well but it sure was a sad occassion.

Have to get up at 7:00 to be at my Mom's BFF's house so she can follow me to drop off her car at the body shop.

See everyone tomorrow!

[hi]

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 4382 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ak— you are so kind to drive your mom and her friend around. Maybe you should become an Uber driver! [Big Grin]

Tutu—Did you end up buying a new phone? I like my iPhone 8 because it still small enough to put in my pocket. But it has a few more bells and whistle’s then my iPhone 5se.

I went to physical therapy this morning. We did some new exercises there that I don’t have to do at home yet.

We added just a 1 pound weight to my pendulum exercises and a 1 pound weight to my biceps exercises and added two more types of biceps exercises. Doesn’t sound like a lot but I am sore already.

I noticed this afternoon when I was doing my exercises at home my elbow was back being “bad” again. Just can’t get it to straighten.

My kind neighbor, Howard, came over and screwed the pulleys into my bedroom door. That way I can now open and close the door.

Otherwise I would open the door and the pulleys would fall off and being short I couldn’t put them back up again. This will also help when I need to open and close the door for the stretchy band exercises that are coming soon.

Going to try and relax a little bit. Busy day tomorrow with termite inspection, trip to functional chiropractor, and cleaning lady coming.

--------------------
Hiker53

Posts: 5549 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck with all the new exercises, Hiker! I know what you mean about the door. I need to do some stretchy band exercises, but my door doesn't stay closed very well.

Hang in there !!

I got the iPhone XR .. It's larger and that's OK with me as long as it's not any heavier. I don't think it is.

I got a pretty case for it and then realized it was too slippery. I know I would have dropped it a hundred times and broken it.

So I got a clear Otter Box .. not as cute but my phone is red, so it's not entirely ugly. lol

He told me the 8 would be phased out soon .. so get ready!

Not all of my photos were saved so we are trying to get them from iCloud. It's making me nervous because I'm doing it right now.

He sent me home with instructions because it was taking a long time on their WiFi. .. So I am hooked up to our Wifi.

My hubby is in terrible pain from kidney stones. He had fever last night. He made it through the show. Today he is off .. but has another show on Tuesday night.

I tried to get him to the doctor .. if he doesn't feel measurably better tomorrow he may be willing to go. He's doubling up on the "stonebreaker" herb right now.

--------------------
 -
oops!
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 93615 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Icon 6 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whew, I'm tired today! Another early day tomorrow for PT. Oh, I almost forgot, I did some triceps exercises from Flipping50's on YouTube. Something new I found while looking for a way to strenghten my arms.

The downside to my weight loss is I've become very flabby! I still have to lose another 25 lbs and am gearing up for another fast.

Have to be careful with my exercise because of my shoulder, SI joint, neck and prolapse issues. There's got to be a way I can strenghten and tone gently.

TuTu I hope and pray that your hubby will be OK. Congrats on the new phone! I wish I bought an Otterbox for my phone that I got for Christmas. I've already dropped it several times and it's cracked badly in the back which is spreading.

Hiker that'd be great driving others around but I'm to big of a chicken! Wow, weights already?! Go slow and don't push yourself! Has to be hard with both the shoulder and elbow not working. Hang in there!

Well....off to get some shut eye!

[sleepy]

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 4382 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am waiting on the cleaning lady who comes once a month. I really like her but she is never on time.

Termite inspector came this morning. All is well except he forgot to take the check and has to come back tomorrow to get it.

I went to the functional chiropractor this afternoon. And I forgot to take my wallet and checkbook. Lol They trusted me enough to take the supplements and send them a check in the mail.

The chiropractor added a supplement. It’s a homeopathic with magnesium and sulfur. He switched up the amounts of my other supplements.

I’ve done two of my three rounds of physical therapy for the day. Will do the last one tonight.

Tutu-Hope you enjoy your new phone. Red is a snazzy color.

AK- my cell phone protector is called a unicorn beetle. It was cheaper than the OtterBox and has a really good grip on it. It also came with a holster to attach to a belt or my pants although I’ve not used that yet.

[ 05-07-2019, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: hiker53 ]

--------------------
Hiker53

Lymetoo
Member # 743

AK... You will figure out those exercises! I need to look for exercises for upper body. Not sure I can do them, but will try.

hiker .. My other phone had a Trident case. It was really good. I KNOW I have to have a case. I've gotten rather klutsy in my old age. LOL.

I wish I had waited and gotten one on Amazon, but I was still afraid that would be a big mistake! If I drop it on our tile floors, it will be GONE in a heartbeat. (tile in kitchen and bathrooms)

I went to our Bible study at church and then had a quick lunch. Hubby is feeling better and just left for work. He's not feeling great, but I'm hoping he's over the worst.

I will stay home tonight and do the paper chase. I hate that job!!

It was about 82 here this afternoon. Cooler tomorrow and more storms. Not too worried about the storms. We'll see.

--------------------
 -
oops!
--Lymetutu--

aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Well therapy was painful! My neck and SI joint were locked up again. I'm sure all my yard work didn't help. Also I was disappointed to find out that I was doing all of my exercises incorrectly. So I didn't help.

How do you like your functional med chiro Hiker? I loved mine when I could afford him. I'm going to check out that unicorn beetle case for my phone.

Glad to hear the hubs is feeling better TuTu! I'm getting klutzy too so I'll check out the Trident case for my phone. Thanks for the encouragement in trying to find safe exercises.

Oh my therapist started me on a walking program so I went to the gym and walked 10 minutes at 3.2 mph on a level treadmill. I am so out of shape but I gotta start somewhere.

See everyone tomorrow!

[hi]

--------------------

Alaska Lone Wolf

hiker53
Member # 6046

AK— I can certainly relate to the pain of Physical Therapy. The therapist stretched my shoulder and elbow so much today I thought they were going to fall off.

I see the surgeons physicians assistant tomorrow. Say a prayer that I’m not in the sling too much longer.

Did my exercises at home. Cleaned out the sewer grate by my mailbox. Pulled a few weeds but only about five minutes worth.

My friend Debbie took me to the library after physical therapy. So I’m stocked up on good books.

I’ve been watching birds all afternoon. I saw a blue Tanager and a scarlet Tanager both of which I’ve never seen before around here. I guess I’m a birdbrain because it really got me excited.

A colleague that I worked with for the past five years is coming over after work with her six month old son. First time I’ve seen her in a couple of months. Looking forward to it.

--------------------
Hiker53

Lymetoo
Member # 743

AK .. I can't imagine how you could possibly be out of shape with all the work you do!!

I can also relate to the PT pain .. Thankfully, my PT's assistant would massage me. It was life-saving.

Hiker .. please be careful about falling. Now would not be a good time. lol

I heard the most glorious bird this afternoon while taking a 10 min nap. I need to find out what it was.

One of my friends here takes wonderful photos of birds and other animals and she has recently seen cedar waxwings (I love them!) and Baltimore Orioles. The orioles only show up once a year for a week or two. She puts out oranges for them.

I put this on FB earlier this week: I saw a great blue heron when approaching our creek. It's been running high, so I guess the heron was taking advantage and trying to catch some fish.

He flew off just as I came up. (I will be more careful next time!) He flew the whole length of the creek and I DO WISH I had been able to snap a photo of that beautiful sight!

I went to Bible study and then did two hours of errands. It's hard to believe it all takes so long to take care of.

(returned two items to Amazon, got water refills at the store, returned something to a beauty supply, went to the pharmacy, stopped by the cellular store and then to Walmart)

Pooped.

Probably staying home tonight. I still need to work on my bar. It's way too cluttered.

I hope LP is OK!

--------------------
 -
oops!
--Lymetutu--

hiker53
Member # 6046

Natalie came over and we sat outside and saw three more of the blue Tanagers and we saw a Baltimore oriole I have never seen one in my life. What a great day for birds.

Tutu, I love the herons. I used to canoe at the lake near here and see them all the time.

LP texted and said that she thought she’d been bitten by ticks again. Bummer!

--------------------
Hiker53

aklnwlf
Member # 5960

I'm sorry gang, I just got home a little while ago from my allergist appointment. I didn't get good news which shocked me so I'm down, down, down in the dumps.

BTW, where's a crying emoji when you need one!

--------------------

Alaska Lone Wolf

Lymetoo
Member # 743

I've never seen an oriole either. I didn't know they came here, but my friend here is a great photographer and she had some show up last year. They just arrived again.

She feeds them oranges. I think I need to go pay her a visit! She's so busy with two teenagers and an all-consuming job, but finds time to take pics of all the wildlife here.

I'm very sad for AK and LP!! AK, you WILL get a handle on it!! I need to call you and give you some tips if you can stand it. [Wink]

LP .. I do hope you can keep taking some doxy so those ticks don't get you down again.

I made the trip to the city for them to fix my driver-side window. They had a flaw in the tinting I got two weeks ago. (sometimes it shows up when it dries/cures)

So they fixed that and I also had an acupuncture treatment. Love my doc!

--------------------
 -
oops!
--Lymetutu--

hiker53
Member # 6046

AK and lp— sending love and prayers

I got my sling off today. Two weeks ago he told me when I got it off I should still wear it at night and in crowds. Today he changed his mind and said go cold turkey.

So, I’m going on hour eight without the sling and I must admit I’m sore but happy. Think I’ll still sleep up in the recliner. I’m not used to sleeping on my back in a bed and worried I will roll over.

He says I can start driving when I feel comfortable and I definitely don’t feel comfortable yet. I don’t have great range of motion and I don’t have strength.

I did my exercises today like a little faithful trooper and I go to physical therapy tomorrow.

[ 05-10-2019, 09:31 AM: Message edited by: hiker53 ]

--------------------
Hiker53

Lymetoo
Member # 743

CONGRATS FOR SURE, HIKER!!! I think it's wise to stay in the recliner. Hope you can sleep better tonight!

I can't imagine trying to drive this soon. My bad shoulder gave me fits until my acupuncture guy fixed it up. Driving was the worst.

--------------------
 -
oops!
--Lymetutu--

hiker53
Member # 6046

I went to physical therapy this morning. And I have done my shoulder exercises two more times.

I am doing a few leg exercises as well. I’m just standing up from my couch and rising to my toes. I do three sets of 20 a day. My legs feel like lead.

I did a small load of laundry. Will need help with a larger load this weekend. And my friend Debbie went grocery shopping for me.

I’m going to read and relax tonight.

--------------------
Hiker53

aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Outside of doing my PT exercises also did some triceps work and 11 minutes on the treadmill. Scrubbed two windows trying to get rid of black mold so got quite an arm workout!

TuTu since I got back from my appt I'm juicing, eating carrots, apples and frozen fruit. I make a hard dry biscuit with flax bran and coconut flour. Tomorrow I'm going out for lunch so I'll take dye free benadryl and stick with fruits and veggies and maybe some chicken. I'm gonna have to give you a buzz!

Hiker thank you for love and prayers! So happy that you're slingless! How's the pain level? Take things slow and easy!

See everyone tomorrow!

[hi]

--------------------

Alaska Lone Wolf

hiker53
Member # 6046

I got outside and filled my birdfeeders before the rain moves in. It’s been raining most of the day.

I did my shoulder exercises and my knee squats.

Cooked a chicken breast. I still don’t have the strength in my right arm to cut up a big chicken breast but my friend lent me her Chicago cutlery kitchen shears and they did the trick.

Tomorrow I may try a little more cooking with my table top grill. It is hard to clean, so that should be an adventure with limited motion.

My neighbor is supposed to come over tonight to help with my big load of laundry. And I think my BFF will come over later tonight.

It’s cool here in the 40s, so it’s been a good day to snuggle on the couch and read.

--------------------
Hiker53

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement

© 1993-2019 The Lyme Disease Network of New Jersey, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Use of the LymeNet Site is subject to the Terms and Conditions.