LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » NEED HELP from all the smart people! PLEASE?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NEED HELP from all the smart people! PLEASE?
DR. Wiseass
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DR. Wiseass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy Smart People! I need help please!

You know how you `learn' stuff, but then you forget where you learned it, or sometimes even if it's actually true the way you remember it?

I'm updating my blog today, and I actually have a PURPOSE with today's entry, instead of my regular mindless banter...but in order to complete my blog entry, I have some questions that need answers & `proof' , and I also need links to back up the following assertions:

*The actual number of reported cases of Lyme each year is about 1/10th of true number. Where is that information found? On CDC website? If so - need actual link, please!

*Other critters may possibly spread Lyme as well as ticks (and what other critters besides mosquitos??) Need link please.

*Lyme may be sexually transmitted, as well as transmitted through breast milk. (I think that's an ILADS assertion, but I'm too tired & stupid to find it today. Help?)

*If left untreated, the infection can spread to every organ system in the body. Where's that link?

*It only takes about 12 hours (is that even the right number, or is it just 6 hours?) from the time of infection for the bacteria to reach the central nervous system. Who determined that? Where's the proof?

*WHAT is ILADS recommendation for antibiotic therapy for someone just bitten? (How long on abx?) Need the link, please.

*I thought I heard that DEET - or any insect repellent for that matter does not really ward off ticks. Is that true? If so - where is that info found?

*The `other' camp says ticks have to stay attached for 72-96 hours or some kind of crap like that - where's the info that refutes that?

*What are the `favorite' areas that ticks like to attach themselves? And where can that info be found?

*I've heard various numbers as to how many do/do not get the EM rash after initial bite. What's the real statistics? Where are they found?

Thank you in advance to all the smart people that still have access to the parts of their brain that holds onto important information.

Thank you in advance for sharing your wisdom, with someone who, today, is apparently without wisdom and is just an @ss!

Hugs & [kiss]

--------------------
DR. Wiseass
NOT a real doc - just a real wise  -
 -

Posts: 792 | From USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme disease transmitted by biting fly. This stupid link wont copy here coz it has a parenthesis in it. So what you have to do it write the following words in a google search. It should be the first link and it is titled

Lyme Disease Transmitted by a Biting Fly

search with the words: lyme biting fly

If you get lost, let me know, I'll come find you [Big Grin]
Trails

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LostCityAgent
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you really a doctor?

Anyway, I have done a ton of research and I stronly suggest that you use the folling symptom list on your blog. I have had 2 docs look it over.
As well, I can e-mail it if that is easier.

DEFINITIONS OF SYMPTOMS PERTAINING TO LYME DISEASE (General Symptoms)
Check clear circle

Translated into Lay English
John C. McCormack

o Nose Tingling
o Neck Stiffness
o Neck Pain
o Jaw Pain
o Jaw Stiffness
o Jaw Cramping
o Lock Jaw (Momentary)
o Sore throat
o Clearing throat
o Phlegm (Chronic)
o Hoarseness
o Runny nose
o Decreased Hearing
o Plugged Ears
o Buzzing in Ears
o Pain in Ears
o Sound Oversensitivity
o Ringing in Ears
o Popping in Ears
o Eye Floaters
o Eye Pain (In)
o Eye Pain (Around)
o Eye Pain (Behind)
o Blurred Vision
o Double Vision
o Vision Loss
o Peripheral Waves (Eyes)
o Phantom Images (Eyes)
o Flashing lights (Eyes)
o Light Sensitivity (Eyes)
o Hair Loss
o Shortness of Breath
o Thick Speech
o Slurred Speech
o Slow Speech
o Stammering Speech
o Dementia
o Diarrhea
o Constipation
o Difficulty Swallowing
o Drooling
o Short Term Memory Loss
o Long Term Memory Loss
o Clumsiness
o Headache
o Disorientation
o Loss of Sex Drive
o Sexual Dysfunction
o Bladder Dysfunction
o Bowel Dysfunction
o Fever (Recurring)
o Infections (Recurring)
o Low Temperature
o Migrating Pain
o Menstral Pain/Irregular
o Breast Pain/Discharge
o Upset Stomach
o Nausea
o Bone pain
o Joint pain
o Stiffness (Joints)
o Stiffness (Extremities)
o Chest pain
o Muscle pain
o Spasms
o Cramps
o Night sweats
o Day sweats
o Unexplained Chills
o Heart Palpitations
o Fatigue
o Weakness (Limbs)
o Partial Paralysis (Limbs)
o Lymph Node Pain
o Lymph Node Swelling
o Dental Pain (Unexplained)
o Pain (generalized)
o Poor balance
o Increased Motion Sickness
o Lightheadedness
o Wooziness
o Heavy Headedness
o Insomnia
o Depression
o Irritability
o Mood swings
o Anxiety
o Weight Gain
o Weight Loss
o Testicular pain
o Pelvic pain
o Increased Alcohol Affect
o Worse hangover
o Allergy Sensitivity
o Chemical Sensitivity
o Unidentified skin blotches or freckles

SYMPTOMS REQUIRING CLEAR DEFINITION
(Other Symptoms)
(Definitions Below)
Circle black bullet

* Internal Vibration
* Pruritis
* Erythema Migrans
* Maculopapular Lesion/s
* Paresthesias
* Numbness
* Bell's Palsy
* Vertigo
* Burning
* Heat Patches
* Stabbing Pain
* Shooting Pain
* Lhermitte's Sign
* Short Term Memory Loss
* Long Term Memory Loss
* Head Pressure
* Lesions/Plaques (Brain)
* Lesions/Plaques (Spine)
* Twitching
* Fasculations
* Interstitial Cystitis
* Sphincter Dyssynergia
* Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
* GERD
* Malaise
* Gait
* Ataxia
* Sleep Apnea
* Atrophy
* Energy (Nocturnal)
* Spasticity
* Tremor
* Rigidity
* Bradykinesia
* Myoclonic Jerking
* Clonus
* Masking
* Micrographia
* Dysphagia

Internal Vibration: -Term is self explanatory. Refers to a non-painful sensation within the internal body that can present it self anywhere within or have a mass internal effect. The sensation can be described as an internal vibration, flurry, rain storm, to name few. Symptom is non-specific.

Pruritus/ani: -Itching is a symptom we have all experienced but cannot easily describe or define. It is a peculiarly uncomfortable skin sensation. That much is certain. It may feel as if something is crawling on (or in) your skin. Itching can be diffuse (generalized) or localized -- all over or confined to a specific spot -- and there are many causes of diffuse and localized itching. Perhaps the best definition of itching is by the response it evokes -- it is a feeling that makes you want to scratch.

Erythema Migrans: - Noted as the ``Bull's Eye Rash'' which is specific to Lyme disease. It appears like a Bull's Eye and may or may not be at the site of the tick bite. Lest than 15% of people infected with this condition recall a rash. There are other non-specific rashes and skin lesions that are believed to have direct correlation to this etiology.

Maculopapular Lesion: -Noted in several cases, patient can have one to many. They appear dark red and are generally rectangular. They may or may not be associated with pruritis.

Paresthesias: -Abnormal nerve sensations such as pins-and-needles, tingling, burning, prickling or similar feelings are all known as "parethesias". They usually result from nerve damage due to pressure (such as a pinched nerve), entrapment, or diseases. Continued nerve damage can lead to numbness. Paresthesias can affect various parts of the body. Hands, fingers, and feet are common sites but all are possibilities. Afflictions of specific nerves or spinal nerves can also cause parethesias in particular skin areas of the body.

Numbness: -Deprived of the power to feel or move normally. A general loss of feeling or sensation that can be topical or complete. Can effect any part of the body.

Bell's Palsy: -Partial facial paralysis from facial nerve damage. Bell's palsy is a form of facial paralysis resulting from damage to the 7th (facial) cranial nerve. This same condition can exist within the stomach region.

Vertigo: -Feeling that the room or person is moving or spinning. The person can also experience sensations that indicate altitudinous changes, i.e. drops/climbs. Vertigo is the sensation that the room is moving or spinning, or that the person is moving or spinning within the environment. The term "dizziness" is often used for milder feelings of lightheadedness, but this word needs to be distinguished from symptoms such as balance difficulty, fainting, or general weakness. True dizziness is a lightheadedness or a sensation that you are about to faint. True vertigo requires the sensation of movement. Any dizziness or vertigo symptom needs prompt professional medical advice.

Burning: -Sensations that feel like burning in different parts of the body. It varies from mild and benign to extreme. It is a part of parethesias.

Heat patches: -A part of parethesias. A sensation of hot spots in different areas of the body.

Stabbing pain/Shooting pain: -A part of parethesias, self explanatory.

Lhermitte's Sign: -Lhermitte's symptom is that of an electrical sensation in the spine or limbs on neck flexion. It can also cause buzzing patches throughout the limbs and or face.
Pressure in Head: -A sensation of ``water on the brain'' and pressure that is variable in affectation.

White Matter Lesions: -Plaques within the brain or spinal cord that are demyelinating. They are generally non-specific and have certain evidences that specify them more clearly. Such as ovoid lesions that are periventricular are most commonly seen in multiple sclerosis and Lyme disease.

Twitching/Fasciculations: -There are benign fasciculations that occur. Involuntary contraction of the muscle fibers innervated by a motor unit. Fasciculations can often by visualized and take the form of a muscle twitch or dimpling under the skin, but usually do not generate sufficient force to move a limb. Twitching is listed as an alternate name or description for symptom Twitches. For a medical symptom description of 'Twitching', the following symptom information may be relevant to the symptoms: Twitches (symptom). However, note that other causes of the symptom 'Twitching' may be possible.

Interstitial cystitis: -Interstitial cystitis (IC), one of the chronic pelvic pain disorders, is a condition resulting in recurring discomfort or pain in the bladder and the surrounding pelvic region. Interstitial cystitis is an odd disease that is difficult to diagnose. It causes pain and irritation to the bladder and pelvic area, and thereby causes various urination symptoms. Its cause is unclear, but may be autoimmune, or perhaps only some cases are autoimmune. Diagnosis of IC is often by ruling out all other possible causes of bladder symptoms. Confirmation of a diagnosis is difficult, and the most compelling evidence for diagnosis is often from surgery and biopsy, rather than any specific urine or blood tests.

External Sphincter Dyssynergia (DESD): -The sphincter externalizes itself creating what appears to be a sensation of a small soft golf ball size addition around the anus.

Carpal tunnel syndrome: -Hand or wrist problems; often from repetitive motion. Carpal tunnel syndrome occurs when tendons or ligaments in the wrist become enlarged, often from inflammation, after being aggravated. The narrowed tunnel of bones and ligaments in the wrist pinches the nerves that reach the fingers and the muscles at the base of the thumb.

GERD: -Reflux refers to the stomach acid rising up the "wrong way" back up the esophagus and sometimes into the mouth. When this occurs chronically it is probably caused by Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD). Symptoms typically include recurrent heartburn, reflux, and regurgitation, but may also include chest pain, hoarseness or swallowing difficulty; see also other symptoms of GERD. Diagnosis of GERD requires consideration of other possible underlying conditions causing symptoms, such as hiatal hernia.

Malaise: -General feelings of discomfort or being ill-at-ease.

Gait: -Difficulty walking, such as Ataxia.

Ataxia: -Clumsiness, loss of balance, inability to walk a straight line.

Sleep Apnea: -Sleep apnea is a common disorder in which breathing stops during sleep for 10 seconds or more, sometimes more than 300 times a night. The hallmark of the disorder is excessive daytime sleepiness and compromised quality of life, including significant social and emotional problems.

Atrophy: -General name for any wasting away of muscles or body tissue.

Myoclonic Jerking: -One may be jerked or jolted awake by an unknown cause. Action myoclonus is characterized by muscular jerking triggered or intensified by voluntary movement or even the intention to move. It may be made worse by attempts at precise, coordinated movements. Action myoclonus is the most disabling form of myoclonus and can affect the arms, legs, face, and even the voice. This type of myoclonus often is caused by brain damage that results from a lack of oxygen and blood flow to the brain when breathing or heartbeat is temporarily stopped.

Clonus: -Clonus is repetitive, rhythmic contractions of a muscle when attempting to hold it in a stretched state. It is a strong, deep tendon reflex that occurs when the central nervous system fails to inhibit it. Clonus is not the same thing as myoclonus, which is irregular and uncontrollable jerks of a muscle or group of muscles (see above).

Expressed Energy Nocturnal: A sensation that one wants to run while trying to fall asleep. All of these symptoms may be present due to restless leg syndrome. Restless legs syndrome is a sensory-motor (movement) disorder characterized by uncomfortable sensations in the legs, which are worse during periods of inactivity or rest or while sitting or lying down. There is often a positive family history of the disorder.

Spasticity: -Spasticity is a condition in which certain muscles are continuously contracted. This contraction causes stiffness or tightness of the muscles and may interfere with gait, movement, and speech.
Tremor: -Tremor in the hand or foot on one side of the body, or less commonly in the jaw or face. It appears as a "beating" or oscillating movement. Because the tremor usually appears when a person's muscles are relaxed, it is called "resting tremor." This means that the affected body part trembles when it is not doing work, and it usually subsides when a person begins an action. The tremor often spreads to the other side of the body as the disease progresses, but remains most apparent on the original side of occurrence.
Rigidity: -Rigidity, also called increased muscle tone, means stiffness or inflexibility of the muscles. Muscles normally stretch when they move, and then relax when they are at rest. In rigidity, the muscle tone of an affected limb is always stiff and does not relax, sometimes resulting in a decreased range of motion. For example, a person who has rigidity may not be able to swing his or her arms when walking because the muscles are too tight. Rigidity can cause pain and cramping.
Bradykinesia: -Bradykinesia is the phenomenon of a person experiencing slow movements. In addition to slow movements, a person with bradykinesia will probably also have incomplete movement, difficulty initiating movements and sudden stopping of ongoing movement. People who have bradykinesia may walk with short, shuffling steps (this is called festination). Bradykinesia and rigidity can occur in the facial muscles, reducing a person's range of facial expressions and resulting in a "mask-like" appearance.
Postural instability or impaired balance and coordination: -An experience of instability when standing or impaired balance and coordination. These symptoms, combined with other symptoms such as bradykinesia, increase the probability of falling. People with balance problems may have difficulty making turns or abrupt movements. They may go through periods of "freezing," which is when a person feels stuck to the ground and finds it difficult to start walking. The slowness and incompleteness of movement can also affect speaking and swallowing.
Micrographia: - small, cramped handwriting.
Masking: -Loss of facial expression.
Dysphagia: -Difficulty or pain when swallowing.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DR. Wiseass
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DR. Wiseass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys -

Thanks for the replies and all that info. Yes, I should probably find a place to list all the symptoms on my blog. That is a good idea.

Meanwhile, I'm wanting specific answers to my questions if anyone has them ??? Pretty please?

Thanks much,

--------------------
DR. Wiseass
 -

Posts: 792 | From USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. Wiseasp:

My brain's not working well enough today to do the actual research (I'll be lucky to get the shopping list drawn up), but you may be able to find some of the answers you're looking for here.

LymeInfo.net
http://www.lymeinfo.net/
(search function is at bottom of page)

A SELECTION OF LYME INFO PAGES
http://www.lymeinfo.net/lymediseaseinformation.html

You said, "Other critters may possibly spread Lyme as well as ticks (and what other critters besides mosquitos??) Need link please."

I typed "vectors" into the search function, and got this:
TICK BORNE ILLNESS PREVENTION
http://www.lymeinfo.net/protection.html

Scroll down to: Other Modes of Transmission,
and you'll see links to articles with some of the info you're looking for.

Hope that helps.
Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can I pretend to be a smart person today?

[Big Grin]

By the way.. has anyone told you lately that you are a pain in your name?

HA!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The actual number of reported cases of Lyme each year is about 1/10th of true number. Where is that information found? On CDC website? If so - need actual link, please!

It WAS on their main page.. and in several reports they generated. Last I noted they were slowing pulling that damaging stuff off as they revised things... but it may still be there. I have no time to play with this one dear. You are on your own.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Other critters may possibly spread Lyme as well as ticks (and what other critters besides mosquitos??) Need link please.

The following is from my article, "It's Lyme Time You Knew"... the link should be on Treepatrols list.

"The American Dog Tick, Lonestar Tick, and the Deer Tick, are just a few of at least 9
different species of ticks that carry the Lyme Disease spirochetes. The spirochete that
causes Lyme Disease has also been found in at least 6 species of mosquitoes, 13 species
of mites, 15 species of flies, 2 species of fleas, and numerous wild and domestic
mammals including rabbits, rodents, and birds. Once transmitted to humans, the
spirochete (over 300 DIFFERENT strains have been identified to date) causes damage to
it's host by spreading to various parts of the body. Other insects and modes of
transmission are currently being researched. At this time, Lyme disease is not considered
to be sexually transmitted, only because there has not been a ``documented case''. It may
be wise to take precautions until studies are completed. The spirochetes that cause Lyme
Disease have been found in breast milk, the uterus, semen, urine, blood, the cervix, tears,
brain, and other body fluids and tissues. People suspected of having Lyme Disease
should NOT donate blood, as the process of storing or processing the blood does not kill
spirochetes or some of the other tick borne diseases. People have been infected with tick
borne diseases through blood transfusions."

And NO- I didn't have a "link" for that info... it was gathered and counted one piece at a time over many days. I know of no other document that does list ALL the vectors seen above. And then there was "STARI".. which is a whole nuther topic!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

*Lyme may be sexually transmitted, as well as transmitted through breast milk. (I think that's an ILADS assertion, but I'm too tired & stupid to find it today. Help?)

Too tired AND stupid? My oh my, so am I!

I know of no document that 100 percent absolutely proves Lyme disease is sexually transmitted... cause we can't get them published!!! There are references through the military.. and Dr. B in PA has documented the prescence of spirochtes in semen.. but no where I know of is this a proven 100 percent deal.

I am now posting some info for you specifically on another post... so you can "have a link".

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

*If left untreated, the infection can spread to every organ system in the body. Where's that link?

Sounds like one of my quotes... but someone else may have said it too. Look in the 'Lyme Time You Knew' article.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

*It only takes about 12 hours (is that even the right number, or is it just 6 hours?) from the time of infection for the bacteria to reach the central nervous system. Who determined that? Where's the proof?

Lots of combined articles... but the best may be Art's site with a bunch of links.. made for the link lovers like you...

Here is one abstract.. I have many more.. but will check back with Art's link later.

Exp Appl Acarol. 1996 Dec;20(12):713-23.
Preliminary studies on virus and spirochete accumulation in the cement plug of
ixodid ticks.

Alekseev AN, Burenkova LA, Vasilieva IS, Dubinina HV, Chunikhin SP.
Zoological Institute, Russian Academy of Sciences, St Petersburg, Russia.

We provide evidence that tick-borne encephalitis virus and Borrelia burgdorferi s.l. are
accumulated in the cement plug in the host skin within the first few hours after tick
attachment. Extirpation of the tick without the cement plug, even very soon after the
attachment, did not prevent the transmission by Ixodes ricinus, Ixodes persulcatus or
Dermacentor reticulatus to mice. This was within 1 hour in the case of the TBE virus
and after 20-22 h of attachment, in the case of Borrelia and I. persulcatus.

The epidemiological significance of these findings is discussed. PMID: 9004495
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

*WHAT is ILADS recommendation for antibiotic therapy for someone just bitten? (How long on abx?) Need the link, please.

It can be found in Dr. Burrascano's Guidelines.. (link to your left on LymeNet main page).... NOT in the ILADS guidelines. Look at the bottom of the document... near the end.

*I thought I heard that DEET - or any insect repellent for that matter does not really ward off ticks. Is that true? If so - where is that info found?

Again... Lyme Time You Knew article.

*The `other' camp says ticks have to stay attached for 72-96 hours or some kind of crap like that - where's the info that refutes that?

That crap is found on Art's link which I will provide shortly.. GEEZE.. hold onto your pants!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

*What are the `favorite' areas that ticks like to attach themselves? And where can that info be found?

Only reference I remember would be mention of it... concerning children... in Dr. Jones article from the recent conferencce. Here is what I took from quotes I typed up from his paper. In the meantime.. Dr. H in CA and Dr., Jones MAY have published this somewhere? I THOUGHT I saw it?? But not sure.

"Dr. Jones recommends the following for children who are bitten by a tick in a Lyme
endemic area (2005):

"The best way to prevent Lyme disease is to treat Ixodes scapularis tick attachments in a
Lyme endemic area with 30 days of oral antibiotics."

He also states..

"The duration of Ixodes scapularis attachment should not be a factor because it does not
take long for a small Ixodes scapularis tick or nymph to attach, feed and inoculate
organisms in the soft, thin, very vascular skin of a child.

It does not take long for Borrelia burgdorferi to diseminate from the skin, circulate
briefly in the blood and lymphatics then become intracellular throughout the body but
especially the joints, heart, eyes, muscles, lungs, bladder, GI tract and nervous system
especially the brain.

A careful history must be taken to determine if a child has low-grade fever, headaches,
and mild stiff neck at the time of an EM rash or Ixodes scapularis tick attachment
because these are early signs of CNS seeding indicating early-disseminated Lyme disease
with brain involvement.

Children with Ixodes scapularis tick attachments in the head-neck area, under the arms
and in the belly button in very young children seems to have a more rapid dissemination
of Borrelia burdorferi spirochetes from the skin to the brain than those with Ixodes
scapularis tick attachments elsewhere. [CNS symptoms occur very early.]"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

*I've heard various numbers as to how many do/do not get the EM rash after initial bite. What's the real statistics? Where are they found?

They vary of course.. depending on what you read. I THINK Art's site has a link for that.. I'll look.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How long must a tick be attached link:

http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Oasis/6455/tick-attachment.txt

Vectors other than ticks link:

http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Oasis/6455/insects-biblio.html

Now

Leave

Me

Alone

hehehe

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DR. Wiseass
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6777

Ooooh!

Oodles & Gobs of mushy, mushy thanks to ALL the smart people -- and even to those just pretending to be smart people TODAY!

Thank you bunches to Carol & Mz. Tincup.

It's so good to see you again T-C honey -- even though time has not taken away your tendency to be a bit 'testy', which means 'cranky' and should not be confused with the words 'testes' or what would seem to be the root word: "testicle" ((hahahaha!))

Missed you T-C! SOooooo glad your back!

Hugs & [kiss]

--------------------
DR. Wiseass
 -

Truthfinder
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. Wisea**,

I recently posted some Lyme facts over on a homeopathy board, then later went back and posted links or references as to where I got the info so these people wouldn't think I just made this stuff up.

I was in a giant hurry, and these may not be the best links out there. I'm not going to try to sort out your questions from my post on that other board, but maybe this will still help:

Fact: Lyme Disease is the fastest growing infectious disease in the U.S. http://www.lyme.org/updates.html

Fact: Fewer than 50% of Lyme patients ever remember a tick bite or a rash.
http://www.canlyme.com/patsymptoms.html

Fact: A study from Switzerland in 1998 pointed out that only 12.5% of patients testing positive for Bb (Lyme) had developed symptoms.
http://www.newswithviews.com/Howenstine/james26.htm

(That means that even though there are patients who get sick after some trauma, such as a car accident, it does not mean they cannot possibly have Lyme. The Lyme may already be there. The trauma disrupted the ``vital force'' which allowed the cascade of illness to begin. So if etiology is important, it is not unreasonable to suspect microbial contribution even though there may be no direct evidence that relates to the onset of symptoms.)

Fact: There are about 150 strains of Lyme-related Borrelia that have been identified in the U.S., and approximately 300 strains worldwide. Many are known to cause severe symptoms, not just Borrelia burgdorferi. But so far, Bb is the only strain ``recognized'' as causing Lyme Disease in the U.S. The tests used in the U.S. are specifically for Bb.
http://www.autoimmunityresearch.org/lyme-disease/
http://home.pon.net/caat/lyme/research1.htm
http://www.oregonlyme.org/

Fact: The longer a person has had Lyme in their system, the LESS likely it is that the patient will test sero-positive using any Lyme antibody tests on the market. There are several reasons for this, which I won't go into. There is only one lab in the U.S. that looks for the actual cell-wall-deficient form (L-form) of the Bb organism - Bowen Research. ( Bowen does receive test samples from many different countries besides the U.S.)
(From the ``30th Anniversary of Lyme Disease'' conference held in Farmington, CT, May 7, 2005: Keynote speakers listed at):
http://www.ctlymedisease.org/order.htm
http://www.bowen.org/index.html

Fact: Live Lyme spirochetes have been found in fleas, mites and mosquitoes. And although it was first believed that Lyme could not be transmitted from human to human, the live spirochetes have now been found in blood, urine, tears, semen, breast milk, spinal cord blood and vaginal secretions.
http://www.health4youonline.com/article_%20lyme_disease_its_evolving_and_the_time_is.htm

Fact: Children are being born with Lyme Disease. Even the Center for Disease Control's ``darling'' head researcher admits that Lyme can be transmitted trans-placentally to unborn children.
http://www.mercola.com/2001/jul/25/lyme_disease.htm

Fact: Lyme Disease can mimic every psychological problem outlined in the ``Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders'' (DSM IV), which is the most widely used psychiatric reference in the world. Lyme can look like anything from ADD to bi-polar disorder.
(From the ``30th Anniversary of Lyme Disease'' conference held in Farmington, CT, May 7, 2005: Keynote speakers listed at:)

Fact: Lyme, along with it's accompaniment of other microbes, kills people. But by the time a patient dies, they have a new name for their disease such as MS, ALS, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, Crohn's Disease, and the list goes on and on. The Lyme organism has the largest array of possible surface proteins it can use to cloak itself of any organism on the planet, which it can change at will. When its surface protein sufficiently resembles that of a ``host cell'', you have an autoimmune disease. As far back as 1954 ``borellia-like spirochetes'' were found in the brains of deceased MS patients.
(From the ``30th Anniversary of Lyme Disease'' conference held in Farmington, CT, May 7, 2005: Keynote speakers listed at:)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=041500

Fact: The co-infections frequently found with Lyme are vital to the problem. Most good Lyme medical doctors know that the co-infections must be treated FIRST, before the Lyme is addressed or the patient likely will not recover.

Feel free to use any of these other "Lyme Facts" in your blog. They are public information anyway.

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DR. Wiseass
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6777

THANK YOU SO MUCH SMART PEOPLE!

When I finally get my stupid blog updated with this info -- I, too, will most certainly sound smart -- even if just for a fleeting moment!

Thank you for helping me attempt to lead some horses to water...

Must now get to work!

Hugs & [kiss]

--------------------
DR. Wiseass
 -

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement