LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » College Financial Woes--

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: College Financial Woes--
strongerangel
Member # 10037

Icon 1 posted      Profile for strongerangel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a diverse crowd of people here on lymenet, so I was wondering if any of you guys know much about the college financial aid process.

I've filled out my FAFSA, but the EFC is v. high for my mom's income range/our zapped savings (due, of course, to Lyme)

We're kind-of freaking out over here now, since
it doesn't matter that I'm accepted if I can't
pay.

As an added bonus, there's not a good chance of my working during those first few years at least.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what to do next? Also, will the colleges (assuming they
completely honor the EFC) consider my already-
earned merit scholarships as just part of the tuiton already crossed off the bottom line??

Just worried right now.

Thanks for your help!

[ 05. February 2007, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: strongerangel ]

--------------------
-Em

"Thank you, Oh Lord, for giving me the power to control my pain"

Posts: 59 | From Missouri | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you should look into colleges that have good scholarship programs.

Check your PM.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back when I was in school there was no federal form to fill out, but my mom always wrote that as a widow and older parent (she was 40 when I was born and almost 45 when my brother made his entry to the world) that while she had some savings she needed to use it for retirement.

It must have worked because I qualified for work study and already had the largest academic scholarship offered at my school.

I know you were excited to have been accepted at some great schools, but I read an article recently about a large family who had decided that the way for their children to all be able to attend college was for them to begin at the community college and then transfer to a 4 year institution for the last two years.

There were charts showing the amount saved, and it was quite a bit. This would also give you the opportunity to start out close to home, which may not be such a bad idea with your Lyme history, and also for you mom to save up a little to help out with the last two years.

There may be other options out there. We found out that telling them the truth was the best way for me, but as I said, times have changed (all three of my kids are now college grads, so you can see how old I am!).
[Eek!]

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fatigued15
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fatigued15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can contact the college and tell them you have medical bills. They should have you write a letter to them explaining the situation. They will ask for documentation of medical bills. I included everything, even supplements, acupuncture, Qigong. My healthy son is receiving more financial aid both on the federal and state level due to our medical bills for our daughter.

I am in NYS nad VESID helps with getting what you need for school. Do you have an IEP or labeled disabled ? Here is a link for your state.
http://vr.dese.mo.gov/

Hope this helps.

Posts: 488 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No answers but I admire your gumption going to school with all of this!!!!

Maybe there is a scholarship- I would check a scholarships web site- for people with medical difficulties- an endowment just for that!!!

Or based on ethnicity or heritage!!!

I know my older daughter is eligible for a certain scholarship because she is the last Austrian Jewish Weiss in her lineage- her grandad is a holocaust survivor and that makes her eligible for a scholarship- the rest of his family were all killed in concentration camps-
he escaped by pretending to be Italian and emigrating under false papers with immdeiate family-

Anywayz, I also know someone who got a scholarship for being 1/2 Native American!!!

SO I would check into those kind of scholarships too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best wishes,
Sarah

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ConnieMc
Member # 191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConnieMc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am in the process of completing the FAFSA forms right now for my senior daughter. I went to a seminar recently about financial aid and I got the distinct impression that there are circumstances which are not apparent via the FAFSA form and you can report them to the college financial aid office.

If I were you, I would arrange a meeting with the college financial aid office and take documentation of medical bills. Even take overdue notices, documentation of any deals you have made to pay over time, etc. Balances due, etc.

I got the distinct impression that there is a great deal of leeway with all this. I may be wrong, but it is certainly worth checking out.

Would love to hear an update to this. College is so expensive. Since I have been ill since 1998 with Lyme and ultimately had to stop working for a couple of years, we have not put aside nearly what I would have for the kids' college. Not to mention that extreme out of pocket costs over the past years have sapped our ability to save anything.

One year we even had to raid the 401K with an IRS form from the doc documenting disability so there was no penalty. That year we had $10,000 in out-of-pocket medical expenses. Who can handle that?

Good luck to you on this. It won't hurt for you and your mom to meet with them face to face. Hopefully they will listen.

Posts: 2275 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ConnieMc
Member # 191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConnieMc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, thank you, thank you for all the tips. Your post should be placed in some sort of resource section for those who are in school or headed that way.

I have printed this info out and really appreciate you going to all that trouble to post all this great info.

THANKS!

Posts: 2275 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strongerangel
Member # 10037

Icon 1 posted      Profile for strongerangel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, I agree, it is an amazing amount of useful info. optimistick, I pm'd you, as well. [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Em

"Thank you, Oh Lord, for giving me the power to control my pain"

Posts: 59 | From Missouri | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
optmistick! OUTSTANDING!

i just copied this link to my newbie links/advise and also copying and will paste it on TREEPATROL'S NEWBIE LINKS for future inclusion!

way to go OMT! [bow] your advise is so TIMELY as well for college kids! god bless you omt!
[group hug] [kiss] [group hug]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tanzi2u
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9237

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tanzi2u     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
StrongerAngel, first off, Congratulations to you.

We were going through the same process here (and by the states you listed in a previous post, were possibly interested in the same colleges).

Daughter dear was accepted early decision and we are working with Financial Aid to make it happen.

First thing I learned is that although Admissions may know that you are dealing with a chronic illness, that Financial Aid very probably does not! When we called them concerning the Financial Aid package, we were told to put any and all extending circumstances in writing to them, and they would reconsider.

They also told us if daughter is not able to hold down a summer job (colleges expect their students to earn $1500-$2000 over the summer)to send them a medical note and they would reconsider. This may even apply to work-study ability. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Also look into how each college handles private scholarship money. While the advice upthread is generally right-on, I have seen a few wonderful exceptions (basically the first $xxxx. are to help the student's load, then part or full restrictions apply).

Best of luck!

Posts: 115 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Talk to the school! They will take personal medical situations into account. If there is somebody in admissions or administration that you spoke with previously, you may also want to contact that person.

I seem to remember you received a personal note from a dean or somebody at one school noting your struggle. Am I correct?

If so, that person wants you to attend. You can always contact them and let them know you are very interested, but are concerned about the finances.

Also, once you get your award notification, you can still ask for more. Many schools have more FA money then they initially award.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement