LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » trouble with drB in PA

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: trouble with drB in PA
jenny
Member # 6780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi - has anyone here had a bad experience with Dr.B in PA? My brother was diagnosed with ALS, then tested pos for lyme, and has been seeing dr B for a year. My brother really is deteriorating and anyone else but DrB would say it's ALS. My brother and his wife have spent thousands of dollars and now he is almost completely unable to move, loosing his voice and all internal bodily control.

I have met 4 families who have been 'fired' by dr.B for questioning his methods, or seeing another doctor, even missing an appointment. My brother's wife said they love drB, and they can't believe he is taking advantage of a dying man on purpose, but's it's hard not to think that.

nothing my brother has done in the past year has had any effect on his health. Since the option is ALS and death, they choose to believe dr.B, but it is so hard. Any responses? thanks

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snowboarder
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snowboarder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jenny,

If I were your brother and his wife, I'd find a new lyme doc ASAP.

My philosophy is if I'm not happy with the doc I'll find another and keep searching.

I'm not familiar with doc B. but I assume he's a lyme doc right? Their are other docs and it sounds like your brother is really bad especially if lyme isn't being addressed.

There's a doc 1 hour from where I live who is a new lyme doc and he was also diagnosed with ALS...same situation as your brother. He's been doing IV rocephin for over a year and doing well.

Take care!

Posts: 738 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jenny email me
Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was looking for an LLMD 11/04 Dr. B from C***** was discussed with local Lyme support group people. You can email me.

What abx does your brother take?

Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth25
Member # 6270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beth25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jenny,

Email me too please.

Beth

Posts: 15 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MammaLyme
Member # 1257

Icon 10 posted      Profile for MammaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did your brother testify at the Maryland hearing on March 10, 2005 that was so horribly sad? Is he on IV? That is the only thing that will help him. Find someone that will do that.

We had a man diagnosed in our lyme group with ALS and they later found out it lyme. He died later that year. We want your brother to get help NOW.

Please get him an IV fast.

Posts: 2173 | From Maryland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MammaLyme
Member # 1257

Icon 3 posted      Profile for MammaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Much wellness to you.

[This message has been edited by MammaLyme (edited 22 April 2005).]

Posts: 2173 | From Maryland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeindunkirk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeindunkirk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[I just stopped going to doctor B*** in C***** because I had this feeling that something isn't quite right. I'm a very good judge of character and I think he believes in what he is doing but something was nagging at me that I can't quite put a finger on. I've have learned to always go with these feeling so I am now taking my son and I to a doctor in WDC that I don't get those weird vibes from. I'm also a very detailed person and I didn't find he gave me all of the details. So whats up with him telling everyone how smart they are when he first meets you? He did this to my friend as well. I'm wondering if he uses it as a tactic to make a person like him. Whats everyone's opinion on Dr. B?]Originally posted by jenny:
Hi - has anyone here had a bad experience with Dr.B in PA? My brother was diagnosed with ALS, then tested pos for lyme, and has been seeing dr B for a year. My brother really is deteriorating and anyone else but DrB would say it's ALS. My brother and his wife have spent thousands of dollars and now he is almost completely unable to move, loosing his voice and all internal bodily control.

I have met 4 families who have been 'fired' by dr.B for questioning his methods, or seeing another doctor, even missing an appointment. My brother's wife said they love drB, and they can't believe he is taking advantage of a dying man on purpose, but's it's hard not to think that.

nothing my brother has done in the past year has had any effect on his health. Since the option is ALS and death, they choose to believe dr.B, but it is so hard. Any responses? thanks[/QUOTE]

Posts: 547 | From Maryland | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ALSLYME
Member # 6721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ALSLYME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just read your post, and I have to say first, I'm sorry for what your brother and entire family are going through. My opinion is - with Lyme/ALS the biggest challenge is patience.

I see a Dr. B and I realize I've gotten worse in some ways during treatment, but I also know that if I never saw him, when I did, I wouldn't be here today, or at best on a feeding tube and trache. I know that sounds harsh, but that's what I experienced. I also know you can get worse, before you get better; I know first hand how family, and non-lyme literate people don't understand this, yet it seems similar to what cancer pts. go through while dosed up on chemo.

I've had IV and I continue with IM weekly, along with many orals; Every muscle from head to toe is weaker, but I can swallow and breathe, pretty important, which I had trouble with 8 mos. ago, before Dr.B

Nothing worth it is easy, and unfortunately, with ALS/Lyme we don't have many choices, but to fight the good fight, and never give up hope. People dxd with ALS, that have Lyme can get better, we've seen it, but it takes a long time.

Winston Churchill - When you're going through hell, just keep on going...

PS - MammaLyme, I was the one that testified at the hearing 3/10, actually my brother spoke for me. You saw me at my worst, but maybe you'll hear me at one of the next hearings & not my brother!

Take Care to ALL!

Posts: 94 | From Maryland, USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

If he tested positive to lyme, then he definetely has Lyme or at least had lyme.... I'm not saying he doesn't have the ALS too... I dont know I am NOT a dr.

BUT If you are not happy with the results of your dr I would get a new one.

My personal opinion would be that if I went to a dr. who was treating me for lyme for a year and I made no improvement in that time... I personally would get a knew dr. because lyme can be treated and one can recover from it.

I do NOT have expereince with Dr. B..... but in my expereince with other drs. I can tell you that every dr. that claims to be a llmd is not a llmd.

In my experience a good llmd...

--will change treatment when one treatment is not getting results
--- is open to listening to symptoms and past expereinces with treatments to see what worked and what didn't.

This is just my opinion. in the end he has to do what he feels is best for him.

Best Wishes abd I hope everything works out no matter what he decides to do

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenny
Member # 6780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, everyone. My brother had an IV for about 6 weeks, then drB told him he could take it out if he wanted to , as people did much better on shots. That seemed crazy. He has been on abx for more than a year.

He has been to other llmd doctors and he tests negative for lyme. They also tell him it's ALS. Only drB says you don't have ALS, you will get better. It's hard to resist that.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jenny, does your brother have any idea how long he's had Lyme? If it's been a long time, as in years....then it could take 2-4 yrs to clear this.

I don't know anything about this dr....but if it's the one I think it is, I thought he had a very good reputation in the Lyme community.

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In today's news...doc trying to get stem cell trial for ALS. Will email you details and files of mine.
Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with the folks that said it takes a while to treat this stuff, especially people who are in really bad shape to start with. Everybody wants their pain and disease gone, and now. Naturally.

However, there are late stage cases that get the best treatments available, and still are not "cured" and some even die. This is a very serious disease.

Those who advise getting another doc need to remember that they are pretty scarce. And all of them live in fear of persecution.

Some other docs who have treated with IV are now using bicillin shots and it works well. Don't know how the costs compare, but am guessing that IV is much more expensive. So, this might be worth a try.

I am always leary of people who are second guessing treatments. Have heard this doc speak and think people should back off on the criticism. Several of the patients who were fired had done things that understandably were a problem for a doc who is completely overwhelmed with patients, being persecuted for treating us, and has good reasons for his actions, even if patients aren't able to picture a completely outrageous medical establishment position that harms so many patients. And how it affects lyme docs.

Yes, patients should switch if they want to. But not every patient complaint is valid and they are frequently not clued in to the whole picture.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. First, I think there are some responders who may have confused your Dr. B with the Dr. B in NY, who writes the Lyme treatment guidelines. For anyone new out there, there is more than one Dr. B.

Second, I can tell you that I've had some terrifying experiences with Lyme doctors. Until recently, the available Lyme treatments were a lot more primitive than they are now, so patients had far more expectation it would take years and years to get better; and also, patients had less contact with each other, and had to be more trusting of whichever LLMD they could find near them.

So you are not paranoid to suspect that Lyme doctors have had the opportunity, if not necessarily the inclination, to play fast and loose with treatment. Also, there are LLMDs from wildly different backgrounds, medically and culturally, and they will have varying takes on which treatments they feel comfortable prescribing.

For example, some doctors have a more "natural/herbal" philosophy and don't want to prescribe these mega-doses of antibiotics. I've also heard lots of fuzzy gobbledygook about how women's emotions unsettle their immune systems. You would be amazed how my emotions settled down when I started taking the right antibiotics.

And as there are very few doctors doing this kind of work, there isn't enough competition to force the same standards or peer oversight that you would find in other medical sectors. We just can't control that right now.

So you get a lot of these stories of people who credit LLMDs with saving their lives--which is 100% true--and also reaching a certain recovery point and then staying there for years. You also find people accepting that they have to live with certain disabilities, when it may no longer be the case.

And you meet LLMDs who started out with heroic intentions, and have grown to hate their jobs, or to be numbed out, or who cling to obsolete treatments that once made them stars in their profession. Or who mean well, but who are only moderately skilled, and are dealing with an illness that requires real brilliance and creative thinking, and that is way over their heads. It's a tough job.

I've had two noteworthy LLMD experiences. In one case, I learned my doctor of 1 1/2 years had lied to my insurance company. The whole time I was with him, I was on partial medication. I would not have died, but I would have remained disabled. Meanwhile, he was taking my insurance company for thousands of dollars. No wonder they don't like Lyme doctors.

Alas, when I left him, I was so sick and desperate that I grabbed the first--and only--doctor who would take my insurance. After 2 1/2 years with him, I just found out he had been giving me the best Lyme antibiotics in the world, but had been holding out on treating certain co-infections, which rendered the Lyme medicine useless. When I started asking for those co-infection treatments, he was furious, and there was a race to find a replacement before he overcame his fear of being sued and threw me out.

So I was disabled for almost five years for no reason. Believe me, I still can't believe it, that someone would just ruin my life like that. I think, if only I'd been more enthusiastic about my career hopes, if only I'd joined the doctor's religion, if only I'd dressed more like his other patients, if only I'd been more timid, more assertive, more friendly, more distant, looked wealthier, more poverty stricken, maybe then my doctor would have treated me for babesia/malaria, my main co-infection. But come on. Get real. I was a cash-cow.

A month ago, I found a doctor in my city. Although we have just started working together, I have already noticed certain traits which hopefully bode well:

1. He teaches at a nearby university, and works at a prominent hospital, so his reputation is transparent.
2. He treats other diseases besides Lyme, so his livelihood is not dependent on chronic cases.
3. His waiting room was filled with high-powered professional types, whose time is worth money.
4. When we discussed my case, he kept saying, "I need to see the cause and effect here."
5. He said that to prove I wasn't making this whole thing up, I had to demonstrate that I was trying to find a new job and cautiously starting to exercise again (instead of telling me I should be grateful to be disabled).
6. Since it was both a Christian and Jewish holiday, he told me to have a great holiday no matter what my background.
7. Although he doesn't take insurance, his fee is based on the amount of time he spends with you, and is considerably lower than the LLMD average. After hearing my story, and seeing that I was a wreck, he knocked his fee down, in the hope I can pay up when I get a job.
8. He wrote prescriptions for several months in advance, so that I would not feel this panic that every month my doctor could cut off my lifesaving drugs if I questioned him.

No matter which doctor you see, though, it's important to remember that it is unrealistic to want an all-knowing healer, who will magically provide the right antibiotics. You have to do your research in advance, call in advance to ask which antibiotics a doctor works with, and then ask for the ones you want immediately.

If your brother has Lyme, whether he has ALS or not, he may want to treat for the co-infections, since they block the action of Lyme antibiotics, and also try the stronger antibiotic combinations. Read up on bicillin, minocycline, omnicef, rocephin, ketek, zithromax, flagyl, tinidazole, rifampin, levaquin. Some people (though not me) also like biaxin, plaquenil, vancomycin, tetracycline, ceftin, and doxycycline. And you MUST treat for systemic yeast infection, which suppresses the immune system and causes its own severe symptoms.

By the way, I saw my new doctor 25 days ago, and had symptoms of Lyme encephalitis. I'm already seen strong improvement on the following medications, and at this pace, could probably hold down a full-time job in another month. However, please be aware that 1) I'm a total stranger, and you should check with other people for their experiences, 2) I built up tolerance to these antibiotics individually before combining them. This combination might be too strong for many people, and is only included as a starting point for your research:

Lyme: omnicef, ketek, low dose flagyl pulsed in 5 days a week.
Babesia/malaria: artemisinin, ketek, mepron 10ml/2x day

I also had good results from minocycline, but the side effects were too extreme to keep taking it.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was at a Lyme conference recently at which Dr. Fallon, who did the NIH study on extended treatment for late stage Lyme, spoke.

He, and several other well known Lyme doctors, addressed the issue of Lyme and ALS. He said that, unfortunately, even when the patient clearly tested positive for Lyme, antibiotic treatment was not always successful when patients showed these symptoms.

I think everyone has given advice that may or may not be useful in this particular case. More aggressive treatment, or another doctor, may help. But this is a very serious illness, and even if it responds, it will take quite a long time to treat.

I doubt that the doctor is taking advantage of your brother. It would be hard to withhold a treatment that has a possibility of helping, because it is not guaranteed. I'm terribly sorry for what your family is going through, and sincerely hope that things turn around.

------------------
Sonoma County Lyme Support
[email protected]

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement