LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Why garlic has odor and oral is less efffective than IV and IM? the answer is here

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why garlic has odor and oral is less efffective than IV and IM? the answer is here
Dave6002
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave6002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I might have had the explanation: this has something to do with the stomach acid.

When you take oral medicine, you always take with at least a glass of water, which is supposed to dilute the acid.

However, the medicine in solid form would be left behind in the stomach, while water would have be emptied from the stomach.

Now here the deal: without dilution, the concentration of the stomach acid would be very high and some of the medicine would be inactivated by the acid.

That might be why oral medicine is less effective than IV or IM of the same medicine.

The garlic odor from consuming garlic might be generated by the reaction of high concentration of stomach acid with the effective garlic components which are rich in sulfide.

It's well known that sulfides can produce unpleasant oder when react with acids.

I have been wondering why garlic odor is not a problem for me but others.

Now I might have the answer: I used a lot of soup when taking garlic, so the stomach acid was diluted greatly and the reaction of producing garlic odor was greatly reduced.

However, if you take garlic capsules or other solid forms of garlic, even you use water or soup, as stated above, garlic will be left behind and react with high concentration of stomach acids and producing unpleasant odor, consequently the effectiveness of the garlic would be greatly compromised.

In contrast, if a medicine needs to be activated by stomach acids, it is better to take capsules or other solid forms of this medicine.

I don't know any of such medicine.

Maybe stomach acids might enhance some herbs as JImBob on this board seems quite happy with his herb capsules.

So before saying that garlic is not effective, think twice: how did I take it?

Dave

[ 02. March 2007, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: Dave6002 ]

Posts: 1078 | From Fairland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Member # 9064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave6002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just updated the above post.
Posts: 1078 | From Fairland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Member # 9064

quote:
Garlic Odor on hands and breath has always been a problem for some.

In the U.S. we suspect the Victorian era, when especially the middle and upper classes took pride in presenting an impermeable, prim and proper facade to the world and smelling of anything was a great offense, played a great role in the banishment of garlic.

For garlic undeniably smells! It literally permeates your body if you eat enough of it - you breathe it and sweat it - and there is really no way to completely remove it.

Although not everybody in the past was wimpy about garlic odor.

Eleanor Roosevelt herself had three chocolate covered garlic cloves a day, and history says nothing about her breath and body odor repelling visiting heads of state and other dignitaries.

Fortunately, perceptions have changed as people venture into new cuisines and cook and eat food for its goodness, not for its social propriety. Of course there are people who simply don't like the smell of garlic, but that is different from shying away from it for social reasons.

It is really no different from inching away from a person wearing a perfume or aftershave that is disagreeable to you.

As for garlic smell on your hands you can avoid contact with the garlic by using a garlic peeler.

Some rub their hands with salt, lemon or parsley.

There are soaps that work well. For a long time we carried a coffee soap that worked really well, and we were sad when we lost our supplier.

There are bar soap-shaped metal gadgets out there that will remove the garlic odor quite effectively.

But more simply and less expensively, you can rub your hands on the back of a metal spoon.

It works just as well.

As for garlic breath, some eat parsley or chlorophyll or alfalfa tablets.

Some suck on a slice of lemon, some chew on anise seed, caraway or fennel seed.

Keep in mind that cooked garlic leaves much less of an odor than raw, and some, who believe in the power of raw garlic, will cook the cloves for about ten seconds in the microwave and swallow the garlic like a pill.

Personally we believe that the best way to deal with garlic odor is to feed garlic to everybody - then no one will notice a thing

Dave6002
Member # 9064

All About Garlic link:

http://www.hormel.com/templates/knowledge/knowledge.asp?catitemid=114&id=842#preparation

Dave6002
Member # 9064

How Can I Get Rid of Garlic Breath?ink:

http://www.wisegeek.com/how-can-i-get-rid-of-garlic-breath.htm

HaplyCarlessdave
Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaplyCarlessdave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Garlic is incredible. I'm convinced it quickened my recovery substantially!
Most effective formulation was chomping down raw cloves. (I think the chomping is important! (though it's not so easy to carry out!)
I suspect it was particularly good for enhancing the effectiveness olf artimesia anu against babesia.
DaveS

Posts: 4567 | From ithaca, NY, usa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Member # 9064

J Agric Food Chem. 2005 Mar 23;53(6):1974-83.

Allicin and allicin-derived garlic compounds increase breath acetone through allyl methyl sulfide: use in measuring allicin bioavailability.

* Lawson LD,
* Wang ZJ.

Plant Bioactives Research Institute, Inc., Orem, Utah 84058, USA. [email protected]

Progress in establishing systemic pharmacological effects for fresh, crushed garlic (Allium sativum L) in humans has been hindered by (1) the inability to measure allicin bioavailability, (2) lack of direct evidence that allicin has significant systemic activity at doses of garlic normally consumed, and (3) lack of a model for an acute effect.

We have addressed these problems by quantifying the increases in breath acetone and breath allyl methyl sulfide (AMS).

The area under the 48 h curve was measured in humans after consumption of standardized garlic preparations, allicin, and allicin-derived compounds, at the equivalent of 7 g of crushed garlic.

It was shown that the allyl thiosulfinates (mainly allicin) are solely responsible for breath AMS and increased breath acetone.

Diallyl trisulfide, diallyl disulfide, ajoene, and S-allylmercaptocysteine, at isomolar dithioallyl, showed the same quantitative effects as allicin.

Consumption of AMS at isomolar allyl also gave the same effects as allicin, indicating that AMS is the main metabolite of allicin and is an active metabolite.

In conclusion, allicin and allicin-derived compounds are rapidly metabolized to AMS, a compound which stimulates the production of acetone and which can be used to measure the bioavailability of allicin and, hence, the ability of garlic supplements to represent fresh garlic.

PMID: 15769123

danielb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for danielb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what if you put it through a garlic press and took and swallowed what came out? may be less of an annoyance.
Posts: 244 | From Ottawa | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great informaiton Dave, thank you for posting it!!
Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement