LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Borrelia doesn't like Iron

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Borrelia doesn't like Iron
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many Lymies have a silent wheat/gluten allergy (DNA) causing iron deficiency and anemia?

A small Lymie group of us who have taken the Allergie Immun (DNA) test, all tested positive for most of these allergies: wheat/gluten, corn, soy, penicillin, mucor, lead, nickle, copper and mercury at the DNA level. Besides these, many other dysregulations show up, including our inherited toxins/infections/miasms.

Iron is missing in many multiple vitamin supplements these days. Mercury, lead is everywhere and because of allergic reaction they accumulate in the body manifesting as major neurological symptoms.

Borrelia will not survive in an iron-rich body environment.

Wheat allergies are commonly inherited now. Many children are born with it.

Many Lymies are the non-stop type mercurious people running marathons, much gym, excessive sports, lifestyles, often can't seem to find the happy balance. A stressfull event --- Iron used up? Existing infection start to wake up.

MS are iron deficient - how many Lymies have MS like symptoms?

Chronic Fatique - iron deficient.

The breakdown into Lyme Disease often follows a stressful event.

I would think that treatment of allergies for wheat and grains is of major importance. Dairy automatically follows as a problem because cows eat grain, and much of the iron supply comes with meat from grain eating animals. Wheat frequency is everywhere and causing trouble if we are allergic to it, causing leaky gut in turn causing iron malabsorption.

Borrelia survive because that's how they like it - living and multiplying, assuring their survival in an iron-deficient environment.

Take care.

[ 02-19-2009, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: GiGi ]

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R62
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for R62     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about babesia feeding off of iron? Is that true? If so, then what to do?
Posts: 861 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good question about babesia. I believe that is what I read in the babs book.

Several people in my family who are sick like I am have high iron. I just had mine checked and the lab values were mid range.

My doctor doesn't want me to supplement with iron because he said it feeds some of the bugs. I'm not exactly sure which ones.

Kind of odd that so many people are testing with the same results but I guess not that odd considering most lyme patients have so many alleriges.

I already know that I'm allergic to soy and wheat/gluten. I'm thinking about getting the allergy testing that you've had GIGI. Are you finding that the treatment fixed many of your allergies?

I've tested energetically allergic to many vitamins so getting that fixed could prove very helpful to healing.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Babesia? I had a super infection of Babesia. I was never iron-deficient or suffering from anemia.

Out of the Lymie group having done the AI testing/therapy, I was to my knowledge the only one that did not have a gliadin/wheat allergy or any food allergy whatsoever. I had overall the lowest count so far of all dysregulations found in the test.

I also did not have any inherited toxins/miasms. I am by far the oldest one in the group. And I am probably the only one that sailed through Lyme Disease in a relatively short time -

There is something to this DNA dysregulation (which can be corrected) that makes me pause.
I certainly found out why my husband is not well yet, even though after Bionic he has no infections any longer.
He was still highly allergic, the silent way, to wheat and soy, mercury and lead, copper and nickle and many industrial chemicals.

It is a major repair job at his age of 83 and I hope for no permanent damage. We had no clue whatsoever of any food allergy by any gut problems. Dr. K. used to say "something wrong with your gut", but never found it. Now we know.

Don't ignore this. My theme song always has been - it is never only Lyme.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

R62, then it is that much more important to make sure that you do not get depleted by good food that your body mistakes for an intruder; or, on the other hand, tolerates worse toxins such as mercury because it does not recognize it for what it is - a massive health problem. Chicken or egg?

Take care.

R62
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for R62     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My gut is a wreck, GiGi. I think I am very much "dysregulated." My husband has been on abx for about a year. No problems. Cd57 over 230 now and was around 50. No bad herxes.

I have the "dreaded gene" as per Shoemaker, and what I dont like about that diagnosis is that is only represents a correlation (of doom). No reason explained; just use CSM.. and oh by the way, some people dont get better even with that. .. actually there is an explanation.. body does not tag "or recognize" as you are saying...

My husband even tests positive IgA poop test for gluten sensitivity and just does not have the problems I do. There has to be a logical reason.

You are making sense and I hope you are right.

Posts: 861 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Babs uses iron. Bb doesn't need iron. See Marnie's archived posts. My ferritin consistently hovers around 19....and I'm male so no heavy periods and ruled out colon cancer....maybe malabsorption or my thyroid issues...

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

R62, there are silent gluten allergies, without any gut problems whatsoever. The problems may manifest themselves in different ways. My husband never had a problem that he felt; it turns out to be part of a brain/motor dysfunction. Sometimes he can't walk, sometimes he can.

The lower the ferritin level, even within the "normal" range, the more likely it is that the patient does not have enough iron.

Iron is extremely toxic to Borrelia. So possibly the people who do not succumb to Lyme have a healthy iron level that wipes out any Bb invasion before it can establish itself. We all know that many people are infected, yet they do not become so sick and for so long.

The more errors exist in the bioenergetic system, the stronger the body burden.

If the DNA is not programmed to recognize Wheat as a healthy food, the body will certainly not produce any allergens. So the normal lab blood tests are inconclusive. The DNA testing is done on the energetic information level. There is no biochemical testing involved at all. The total information is gathered from a couple drops of saliva or a drop of blood.

The lower the ferritin level, even within the "normal" range, the more likely it is that the patient does not have enough iron.

TerryK, my husband's food and heavy metal allergies were eliminated within the first 14 days of AI drops. Same for mucor and penicillins.
Same for some other people taking the tests and drops. The total effect, however, on the total body system will not become complete until most of the dysregulations (average some 30+ of them) are debugged and reprogrammed. The longer a person has been ill, the longer it will take. It took an MS patient close to a year to be well.

Many food allergies, such as grains/gluten, cause the leaky gut, and that will take a number of months to heal before the effects can be felt overall. Usually people start eating these foods again without problems and are encouraged to do so after the first two weeks.

[ 02-20-2009, 03:12 AM: Message edited by: GiGi ]

lymemomtooo
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemomtooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My lymie is a carrier for hemochromotosis. Not sure how much it may be a player but no Dr has investigated this. I also am always high iron, but seem to have symptoms of anemia. My mom was always anemic.

Once read about some that have high unusable iron so wish I was more knowledgeable and better able to understand all of this. lmt

Posts: 2360 | From SE PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UGA RESEARCH SHOWS FOR THE FIRST TIME THAT LYME DISEASE BACTERIUM DOES NOT REQUIRE IRON TO INFECT HOST

ATHENS, Ga. -- New research from scientists at the University of Georgia, just published in the journal Science, demonstrates that Borrelia burgdorferi, the bacterium that causes Lyme disease in humans, is the first pathogenic bacterium identified that does not need or use iron.

"All bacterial pathogens described to date have developed specialized systems to acquire iron from their hosts," said microbiologist Frank Gherardini. "Current dogma states that to be successful in humans, bacteria must overcome strict iron limitations that the human body imparts on them. Although iron is abundant in humans, the amount of free iron is well below the levels required to support the growth of most bacteria. To our surprise, we found that B. burgdorferi doesn't even require iron. In fact, iron is extremely toxic to it."

Understanding how these bacteria are able to successfully colonize humans and cause disease will ultimately lead researchers to more effective ways to prevent and control the disorder.

Some 30 years ago, doctors were puzzled by a large number of arthritis cases in children who lived in and near Lyme, Conn. After exhaustive study, they discovered that the disorder, which has symptoms that vary in kind and severity, was caused by a bacterium transferred to humans from the bite of the deer tick, Ixoides scapularis. Since then, there have been major efforts to understand the bacterium and its life-cycle, and Gherardini's lab has been involved for a number of years, publishing many papers on the subject. Gherardini's graduate student James E. Posey was co-author on the paper published in the current issue of Science.

Borrelia burgdorferi is a spiral-shaped organism called a spirochete. Some scientists believe that Lyme disease came from Europe a century ago but was only recently detectable when it became more common. A resurgent deer population-along with mice, the reservoir host for the bacterium, coupled with increased outdoor activities by humans, has helped insure increased occurrence and spread of the disease.

The first symptom of Lyme disease is usually a red rash that often resembles a bull's eye. This rash, which can be small or cover a person's entire back, appears within a few weeks of a tick bite when the spirochete is introduced into the human host. The infection spreads to different parts of the body and is often accompanied by such symptoms as fatigue, body aches, headache, fever and a stiff neck. Treatment with antibiotics in early stages of the disease is effective in most cases.

The Lyme disease microbe is extremely difficult to isolate or culture, so most doctors look for evidence of the rash at the site of the tick bite or antibodies to B. burgdorferi in the blood. Despite available tests and therapies, many cases go undiagnosed for months. Humans with late-stage Lyme disease are largely out of luck, and doctors can only treat the symptoms. Though people don't die from Lyme disease, the attendant joint discomfort and other symptoms can create ongoing misery. That's why laboratories are still working hard to understand the ways in which Borrelia infects and survives in its hosts.

Until recently, Gherardini said, standard wisdom held that all bacterial pathogens require iron. The new finding probably doesn't indicate that Borrelia evolved, though natural selection, a life-cycle designed not to need iron. On the other hand, natural selection pressure on the entire genome clearly made it possible for Borrelia to exist without iron, though why remains unclear.

The studies in Gherardini's lab were helped immeasurably by the fact that the genome for Borrelia burgdorferi has been completed, so scientists know the location of the bug's genes on its chromosomes-and what these genes do.

The proof the researchers needed came slowly and painstakingly. First, they showed that the activities of several common iron-dependent enzymes were undetectable in cell extracts. Second, they found no iron-containing proteins in the bacterium during an analysis of the complete genome sequence. Third, B. burgdorferi grew normally in the presence of high levels of iron-limiting compounds, and fourth, the bacterium doesn't appear to alter gene expression in response to iron-limiting conditions. Finally, by using mass spectroscopy and radioactive iron transport techniques, they found that the levels of iron inside the cells of B. burgdorferi are 1,000-fold less than those measured in other pathogenic bacteria.

"Uptake experiments using iron suggest that B. burgdorferi does not transport iron and there are less than five atoms of iron per cell," said Gherardini. To date, Lactobacillus planatarum, a free-living soil bacterium, is the only other organism for which experimental data demonstrate that iron is not required for growth. Apparently, B. burgdorferi belongs to a unique category of pathogenic bacteria that use a novel strategy to overcome iron limitation in the human host.

Just how this new discovery can be used in developing either new vaccines or new therapies for those infected with Lyme disease is not yet clear. While a vestigal iron pathway may still exist in Borrelia burgdorferi, simply adding iron to a diet or as a medical therapy would do little good. Still, because other metals such as manganese are used by the bacterium, the discovery of how iron is unneeded by the bug could point toward an entirely new way to limit the occurrence and severity of the disease in humans.

"The ultimate goal of the bacterium is not to wipe out the host," says Gherardini. "It's just to find another place to live. This should tell use a lot about how they do that."

The good news is that probably far less than 1 percent of all ticks are infected with B. burgdorferi, though in some areas, more than half harbor the microbe. Gherardini said anecdotal evidence is that in Georgia, few, if any, strains of B. burgdorferi have been isolated from ticks.

If you discover a tick on your body, pull it out gently with tweezers, being careful not to squeeze the tick's body, then apply an antiseptic to the bite. Studies by National Institutes for Health-supported scientists indicate that a tick must be attached to its host for many hours to transmit the Lyme disease bacterium.

Toxic Iron Bb

And
http://iai.asm.org/cgi/reprint/65/11/4865.pdf

And rebuttall in 1991
Erratum in:
FEMS Microbiol Lett 1991 Sep 15;67(1):122.

Susceptibility of iron-loaded Borrelia burgdorferi to killing by hydrogen peroxide and human polymorphonuclear leucocytes.

Sambri V, Cevenini R, La Placa M.

Institute of Microbiology, University of Bologna, S. Orsola Hospital, Italy.

Borrelia burgdorferi grew more slowly in iron-depleted than in iron-sufficient media. The addition of increasing concentrations of iron stimulated borrelial growth and resulted in the intracellular accumulation of this element. Compared with iron-starved borrelia, ((((iron-enriched organisms showed enhanced sensitivity to hydrogen peroxide.))))) Intracellular iron-content did not, however, influence susceptibility to killing by human polymorphonuclear leucocytes [corrected].

Publication Types:
In Vitro

PMID: 1874405 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Lack of a role for iron in the Lyme disease pathogen.Posey JE, Gherardini FC.
Department of Microbiology, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA.

A fundamental tenet of microbial pathogenesis is that bacterial pathogens must overcome host iron limitation to establish a successful infection. Surprisingly, the Lyme disease pathogen Borrelia burgdorferi has bypassed this host defense by eliminating the need for iron. B. burgdorferi grew normally and did not alter gene expression in the presence of iron chelators. Furthermore, typical bacterial iron-containing proteins were not detected in cell lysates, nor were the genes encoding such proteins identified in the genome sequence. The intracellular concentration of iron in B. burgdorferi was estimated to be less than 10 atoms per cell, well below a physiologically relevant concentration.

PMID: 10834845 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Identification of a transferrin-binding protein from Borrelia burgdorferi.Carroll JA, Dorward DW, Gherardini FC.
Department of Microbiology, University of Georgia, Athens, 30602, USA.

Bacterial pathogens have evolved various strategies to acquire iron from the iron-restricted environment found in mammalian hosts. Borrelia burgdorferi should be no different with regard to its requirement for ferric iron, and previous studies have suggested that transferrin (Tf) may be a source of iron in vivo. By probing blots with Tf conjugated to horseradish peroxidase, we have identified an outer membrane protein (28 kDa) from B. burgdorferi B31 that bound holo-Tf but not apo-Tf. The 28-kDa protein bound human, rat, or mouse Tf and was produced only by low-passage (less than passage 5), virulent isolates of strain B31. In addition, the Tf-binding protein (Tbp) from strain B31 retained the ability to bind Tf after treatment with 2% sodium dodecyl sulfate-1% beta-mercaptoethanol and heating to 100 degrees C for 5 min. These properties are remarkably similar to those of the Tbp of Staphylococcus aureus and Tbp2 from Neisseria meningitidis. B. burgdorferi Sh-2-82 produced an outer membrane protein different in size, i.e., 26 kDa, but with properties similar to those of to the protein from strain B31, suggesting variation in B. burgdorferi Tbps. The exact role of the 28-kDa protein in iron acquisition by B. burgdorferi remains to be determined.

PMID: 8757812 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Paradoxically however when present in excess these elements can be extremely toxic

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My experience so far with the drops that GiGi talks about here is hopeful and optimistic. They do seem to have a physical effect as I feel quite fatigued after taking them and believe this is due to repatterning and detoxification as a result of the drops. I also have had many vivid dreams that I don't normally have. My experience has been very similar to others. Though the end result is still down the road, I'm very glad to be doing these AI drops. Round 3 is just around the corner.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting reading everyone. Stuff that makes you go hhhuuummm? Thanks.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foggyfroggy
Member # 14707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foggyfroggy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GiGi or SForsgren - what are AI drops?

Thanks.

Posts: 22 | From Oregon | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

www.allergie-immun.de (click on Englisch and /or use google or firefox or other translater)

Read thread I started on Wheat/Gluten Allergy - neuro and motor problems - Many of my posts the last few months talk about AI

Take care. (rushing out the door)

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement