LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Does styrofoam off gas?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does styrofoam off gas?
Lauralyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lauralyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need to sound proof my bedroom window as my sleep is getting disturbed from outside noise.

I would hate to invite a new problem if this styrofoam is going to emit something bad.

--------------------
Fall down seven times, get up eight
~Japanese proverb

Posts: 1146 | From west coast | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Styrofoam is blue. The white stuff isn't styrofoam, but both are HIGHLY FLAMMABLE!!! Just FYI.

How about earplugs?

[ 01-21-2011, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: sixgoofykids ]

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sk8ter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sk8ter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about organic non chemically washed wool?? You can google it.
Posts: 871 | From orange county, ca. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I've given this question a lot of thought over the years. Off the top of my head, I'll share some tidbits of my search:

Does styrofoam off gas?

Absolutely. All kinds do, especially when warm.

It can also harbor germs.

As for trying to soundproof a bedroom, it is nearly impossible but it can be done. Windows are the most important element. They have to be very tight. So you are starting with the main element.

Can you ask a window manufacturer to donate a window to you? If they are in the position to do such a thing, for someone with a health condition.

I almost had a manufacturer willing to give me a window when I lived downtown in a very noisy place. Then he met me, saw I was overweight and admonished me for being a fat slob (very nearly, his very words - he told me he'd never help someone who couldn't control themselves). I was mortified as weight gain started from ill health and lack of good sleep. My diet has always been excellent. But . . . he was short of understanding.

I would hope you'd have better luck. Window manufacturers often have old models or suggestions. And there are many people in the world who would love to help. Key words "if you are in the position to offer help of any kind . . . . "

Just hanging stuff over the windows will not likely have the total desired effect as much of the sound travels from around a frame that has too much air space and is not firmly installed.

Not just around windows, but in the wall, corners - EVERY crack in the room has to be sealed, etc. The electrical sockets padded, etc.

Wall insulation can certainly help but you'd also need to consider the floor and ceiling. The "bones" and hidden air spaces all around the room can be megaphones for sound. Also air vents from bathroom exhaust fans, clothes dryers, or air exchange vents for a furnace - if they run along your room, they will act as a megaphone and reverberate.

You might contact a building professional in your area who uses safe products for those with MCS.

There is a new kind of spray in insulation that is not foam. The interior walls may have to be taken off first but there is a new kind that is supposed to be very safe regarding off gases.

I saw them use in on a PBS building show, This Old House, I think. In New Orleans, I think.

�� Why not contact the producers of that program for the "Ask This Old House" section?

Can you make a "sleeping closet" - or "sleeping pod" ?

I think it would be easier to build a "sleeping pod" than to soundproof a room (unless starting from scratch). However, in all my dreaming about ways to achieve quiet sleep (my neighbor's snoring even cuts through my ear plugs) . . . the thing that has me derailed with a sleeping pod is fresh air circulation.

But, still, there may be some way to make an indoor igloo of sorts - just be sure air supply is considered.

Wood is the best sound insulator but is often treated with harsh chemicals or just chunks with lots of toxic glue.

Beyond wood, double paned glass is really the best choice -- like in the sound booths they use for hearing tests or in some radio stations.

You might call your local radio and TV stations - and any marketing firms where they record their own commercials - see if you can talk to the building engineer (not the technical engineer). They may also have some left over materials for you but do not accept old ceiling tiles with asbestos (very common in the past for sound insulation).

Audiologists also recycle their old booths from time to time but they are VERY heavy. A while back I nearly reeled in one but the weight limit was too much for my second floor apt.

Also, if you put open foam inside, be aware that it can harbor all kinds of dust and germs in the miles of tiny tunnels. Regular foam is actually not as soundproofing as one may think - unless it's engineered to be so. In broadcasting, foam walls are mainly to stop echoes.

Different kinds of ear plugs are discussed in the thread below, as are supplements that help such as magnesium.

Truly noise from traffic, neighbors, motors, etc. cuts years of the lives of many due to sleep disturbance. However, due to the toxicity in so many building materials, remedies are not easy.

I've thought of building my sleeping pod out of plaster of paris, bit by bit. Still working on how to ventilate, though.

Good luck.

=======================

ALL EARS. Specifically for LYME patients - lots of details about ears and what can help:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links - including HYPERACUSIS

=====================

Regarding finding safe materials:

www.multiplechemicalsensitivity.org

What is Multiple Chemical Sensitivity? (MCS)

=========================

http://ciin.org/

The CHEMICAL INJURY Information Network (CIIN)

==========================

Beyond MCS and CI, those with porphyria need to be much more careful when around chemicals - and mold. Remember that if you drape fabrics to try to stop noise, dust and mold need to be considered.
-------
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/91842?

PORPHYRIA Thread - along with details about KPU/HPU (Mauve factor)
-

[ 01-21-2011, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8247217.stm

Road noise link to blood pressure

People living near noisy roads are at greater risk of developing high blood pressure, a Swedish study suggests.

Sept. 9, 2009 - BBC.com

=========================

www.nonoise.org

The Noise Pollution Clearinghouse, reducing noise pollution and increasing natural quiet.

Check out their Library. And, from their section on Quiet Classrooms:

http://www.quietclassrooms.org/architect/archit.htm

Architects

How to test for excessive reverberation?

How to find an acoustical expert?

===============================

www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tv/ask-toh

ASK THIS OLD HOUSE
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lauralyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lauralyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! Thank you all for your responses.

Unfortunately I am wearing earplugs.....and a fleece headband over my ears.

This apartment has single pane windows.....I may as well live in an open air mud hut as I hear everything.

I wish I could afford to move [Frown]

--------------------
Fall down seven times, get up eight
~Japanese proverb

Posts: 1146 | From west coast | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement