LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Promising New Information about Samento, Banderol.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Promising New Information about Samento, Banderol.
lululymemom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 26405

Icon 14 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This report states that most patients see improvements within a couple of weeks of starting this protocol, which in my opinion is worth trying. It must be rotated in the way he describes to be effective.

It also addresses biofilms which is at the root of most chronic cases.

http://www.publichealthalert.org/Articles/miscellaneous/herbal%20tx%20in%20ld.htm

Herbals Outperform Antibiotics in Treatment of Lyme Disease

(Originally published in CAM magazine, September 2010: www.cam-mag.com

One of the world's leading Lyme Disease researchers has tested a natural treatment protocol based on the Cat's claw (Uncaria tomentosa) product Samento and Banderol (from the Otoba plant) and found that it is at least as effective as conventional antibiotic treatment - and for some forms of the disease, more effective, reports CAM editor Simon Martin.

Dr Eva Sapi, PhD, a professor of cellular and molecular biology at the University of New Haven, Connecticut, was the first person to discover that the microbe that causes Lyme disease, Borrelia Burgdorferi (Bb), creates biofilm communities that protect it from the immune system - and from antibiotics.

Medical malpractice lawyers are warning doctors that a Lyme Disease rash is often misdiagnosed as poison ivy or ringworm. Other symptoms are commonly confused with the flu or a musculoskeletal injury.

"The failure to diagnose Lyme Disease can have devastating consequences, including brain damage due to meningitis, heart damage due to infective endocarditis, Lyme arthritis and Bells' Palsy," say leading malpractice lawyers Bottar Leone.

Pleomorph

The microbe is classified as a spirochete bacterium, but is a pleomorph; it cycles between different forms, some of them inactive - one of these a cyst form, as well as the colony-like biofilm - in response to the presence of antibiotics.

"Unfortunately, when Bb is in these inactive forms, conventional antibiotic therapy will not destroy the bacteria,� say Sapi and her colleagues. "The frontline treatment for chronic Lyme disease is administration of tetracyclines (e.g. doxycycline) or macrolides (e.g. clarithromycin). However, even after 3 months of treatment with these drugs, only a 50%-60% improvement rate is observed in patients, with a cure rate of only 20%.

Besides this, the conventional antibiotic treatment... has several disadvantages, including relapse of disease, high treatment cost and extremely unpleasant side-effects."

Eliminate all forms

"In this study, our working hypothesis was that for an efficient therapy, we have to find antimicrobial agents that can eliminate all the forms of B. burgdorferi," Prof Sapi and colleagues reported.

"During the course of Borrelia infection, the bacterium can shift among the different forms, converting from the spirochete form to the others when presented with an unfavorable environment and reverting to the spirochete when the condition is again favorable for growth. To successfully eradicate B. burgdorferi, antimicrobial agents should eliminate all those forms, including the spirochetes, round bodies, and biofilm-like colonies.

"Here we have provided evidence that two natural antimicrobial agents (Samento and Banderol extracts) had significant effect on all three known forms of B. burgdorferi bacteria in vitro. We have also demonstrated that doxycycline, one of the primary antibiotics used in the clinic to treat Lyme disease, only had significant effect on the spirochetal form of B. burgdorferi."

Both herbal products are part of the Cowden Condensed Support Program, which has been in use against Lyme since 2006. Dr Cowden's protocol was previously tested in 2007 by Dr Richard Horowitz, who found a 70% rate of improvement, significantly higher than previous clinical trials on pharmaceutical antibiotics.

Sapi - a sufferer leading the charge against Lyme

Before Dr Eva Sapi's brain swelled after she was bitten by a deer tick, she was researching cancer cures. She now sees a naturopathic physician and is relentlessly dedicated to finding agents that reliably kill B.burgdorferi.

"Samento and Banderol are found to be important herbal allies in this study conducted by our friends at the Lyme Disease Research Group of the University of New Haven," commented Suzanne Arthur of the Lyme Disease Research Database.

"In our interview with Dr Sapi, director of the graduate program in Lyme disease research, she promised that she was quite determined to find an effective agent that would 'kill the bug - and soon'. So, this study is proof that Dr Sapi is following through with her promise.

It is a hopeful note in the battle against the nasty bacterial complex we know as Borrelia burgdorferi."

Testing negative is common

Dr. Sapi was appalled to find that when it came to Lyme diagnosis and treatment, chaos reigned. Despite her own symptoms, she initially tested negative for the infection.

"Researchers don't even know what Lyme Disease is," she says. "I realized that somebody had to go back and test the ticks."
A noted researcher and former Yale post doctoral/operative fellow in therapeutic radiology, Dr. Sapi quickly made a breakthrough: she discovered that deer ticks could be infected with mycoplasma, a rogue life form.

The tick passes the mycoplasma onto the human, resulting in all kinds of chaos. Once she began looking, she found other pathogens living in deer ticks.

Such chaos occurring in patients who test negative for Lyme Disease, including a herd of doubting physicians she had consulted for her own illness, moved her to help. "I have been to so many doctors who laughed at me," she said.

One of her research teams is now using nanotechnology to create a new, more accurate detection test. As it stands now, the best test for Lyme Disease still yields a 70% false negative rate.

Improvement

"If you know a person has mycoplasma, you can treat it," Dr. Sapi says. She cited a small New Jersey study of seven patients with Lyme symptoms who tested negative for Lyme Disease. But when the physician handling the cases tested for mycoplasma, all seven patients tested positive. Once treated, they all showed signs of improvement.

Dr. Sapi presented research on mycoplasma at the national Lyme Disease conference at the University of New Haven in

May, and has submitted a paper on the topic to the Journal of Medical Entomology. She has also been seeing a naturopathic doctor, whose treatment seems to be working.

Why the herbal program works better than pharmaceuticals

Two leading Lyme Disease experts commented on the New Haven study exclusively for CAM.

Dr Philip Kielman, who conducted the five-doctor study featured in our May 2009 issue, told us that in addition to Lyme Disease the products used in the recent research could potentially be used for other conditions.

The combination of the herbals' properties suggests they would be active against these infections and conditions:

* E-coli
* Mycoplasma
* Rickettsiae
* Salmonella
* Shigella and streptococcus
* Common bronchial infections (acute pharyngitis, bronchitis, sinusitis)
* Infections of the urinary tract
* Stomach and bowel problems.

Dr Lee Cowden, MD, who has developed an extensive treatment protocol for Lyme Disease and who was a keynote speaker at the Rio Health-sponsored CAM conference earlier this year, says that he was not surprised by the results.

Dr Cowden and many other colleagues have noticed from their clinical experience that the antimicrobial herbals outperform pharmaceutical antibiotics - which is what you would expect given the herbs' broad spectrum activity, against which microbes find it very difficult to adapt.

Dr Cowden commented: "The recent in vitro research at the University of New Haven, Connecticut, using the Nutramedix herbals Banderol and Samento against Borrelia bugdorferi, when compared to the pharmaceutical doxycycline, confirmed what I and others had observed clinically in Lyme Borreliosis patients.

"Many patients with Lyme Borreliosis fail to improve clinically with doxycycline (or any other pharmaceutical antibiotic), but improve dramatically in a few weeks on the Condensed Cowden Support Program that includes Banderol and Samento as the primary antimicrobials.

Less Recurrence

"Also, patients who use the Program appear to have a lower likelihood of recurrence of Lyme Borreliosis than patients who are on pharmaceutical antibiotics when the therapy is stopped, presumably at least in part because the herbal agents appear to eliminate the biofilm microbial colonies and other hiding forms of Borrelia burgdorferi better than the pharmaceutical antibiotics.

"Richard Horowitz, MD, in New York state, has placed several hundred patients who failed with pharmaceutical antibiotics on the Program and reports that well over 70% improve after several weeks on the all-natural, predominantly herbal program.

Broader Spectrum

"He and I have observed that Lyme Borreliosis patients who eat less junk food, eat less allergenic food, drink more water, plus take the additional organ-support herbs and detox substances found in the Program improve more consistently and more rapidly than those who take only the antimicrobial herbs.

"The other benefit of the herbal program over pharmaceutical antibiotics in these Lyme patients, that I believe future research will prove, is that the antimicrobial herbals have a much broader spectrum of action than any pharmaceutical and are capable of simultaneously eliminating the coinfections including babesia, bartonella, rickettsia, mycoplasma, microfilaria, fungi and viruses."

Revised 2010 protocol for treatment of Lyme Borreliosis (Lyme disease)

Schedule:
* Samento 10 drops, 3 x per day for 60 days (may be combined with antibiotics).

Support:

* Detoxification of the kidneys by drinking enough water (min. 1.5 litres per day). o Burbur detox (works on the kidney, liver and lymph) 8 drops. 4 x per day.

* Green Magma Organic Green Barley Grass Juice extract may be used as further aid to detoxification where required. Suggested dose: 3-6g powder (1-2 teaspoons) or 10 tablets per day

* Caution: Warn of a possible Herxheimer reaction.

Lyme Borreliosis; Chronic Schedule:

* Start with Samento 1 drop, 1-3 x per day.

* Increase dosage with 1 extra drop a week to 10 drops, 3 x per day. (If there is a Herxheimer reaction, or extreme tiredness, stop for 1 day and start slowly again with the lowest dosage with which it was going well).

* Use Samento for 12.5 days and then stop for 1.5 days.

* After 1 month at 30 drops per day - substitute use of Samento with use of Banderol 2 x 20 drops and continue with Banderol for 12.5 days, then stop for 1.5 days, then switch back to use of Samento. Thereafter, rotate the use of Samento and Banderol. This should prevent the bacteria from building up a resistance to Samento.

* In case of co-infections (present in 45% of chronic Lyme disease cases), add Cumanda (build up to 20 drops, 2 x per day) for 8-12 months. This should be used in addition to either Samento or Banderol.

Support:

* Detoxification of the kidneys by drinking enough water (min. 1.5 litres per day).

* Burbur detox (works on the kidney, liver and lymph) 8 drops, 4 x per day.

* Green Magma Organic Green Barley Grass Juice extract may be used as further aid to detoxification where required. Suggested dose: 3-6g powder (1-2 teaspoons) or 10 tablets per day.

* Other suggested supportive supplements: Magnesium malate (highly recommended), Bromelain, Chlorella, Colloidal silver, Dandelion root.

* Blood group diet.

* Caution: Warn of a possible Herxheimer reaction. The daily dose may be administered in fewer or more doses as required - i.e. 2 x10 drops = 3 x7 drops etc.

[ 02-19-2011, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: lululymemom ]

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for this article lulu!
Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YW feelfit, the nice thing is that it is an easy to follow program and can be used with abx if necessary.

I found the best deals for nutramedix on www.naturestrust.net

I am not associated with the website or it's products..

--------------------

31 Epitope test neg.

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ummmm... I take everything in her list - 1.

Including Magnesium Malate, Colloidal Silver, and Dandelion Root.

I just chose stuff that worked. I am drinking Dandelion root tea right now. It helps some processes. [Razz]

I didn't realize I was following a protocol. I really thought I invented my own. Oh wait, they probably copied me, haha.

I was planning on picking up Cumanda.

Also on Doxy/Omnicef.

Posts: 967 | From A deserted island without internet access | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. This is very encouraging. I believe I have heard Dr. Eva Sapi do a presentation. She is incredibly bright. I didn't realize she had Lyme herself. Anyone who has had Lyme is motivated to find answers. God Bless her.
Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
one4islands
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for one4islands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will share this with my dr. as I am taking both Samento and Banderol 30 minutes apart twice a day.
Posts: 412 | From Virginia | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fflutterby
Member # 28081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fflutterby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to hear about those who got well on this protocol. Also, does this mean you no longer need as many probiotics..if you do not take the anitibotics. What about the other supplements we are taking. Magnesium, vitamin D, vitamin B and the other Burrescano recommended supps?

--------------------
Psalm 46 1 God is our refuge and strength

Posts: 1367 | From North Jersey | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
one4, it does appear that you have to alternate between the two to prevent resistance.

Flutterby, they do recommend supplementing with magnesium malate.. This article appears to discuss the basics not everything that can be included. I would continue with B vitamins as they are not contraindicated in any way.

--------------------

31 Epitope test neg.

Camp Other
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
""Researchers don't even know what Lyme Disease is," she says. "I realized that somebody had to go back and test the ticks."
A noted researcher and former Yale post doctoral/operative fellow in therapeutic radiology, Dr. Sapi quickly made a breakthrough: she discovered that deer ticks could be infected with mycoplasma, a rogue life form."

See, people say that nothing good ever comes out of Yale and they aren't trying to understand Lyme/coninfection patients... I say there are exceptions!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aMomWithHope
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aMomWithHope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
Posts: 648 | From northeast | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanda
Member # 14107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"One of the world's leading Lyme Disease researchers has tested a natural treatment protocol based on the Cat's claw (Uncaria tomentosa) product Samento and Banderol and found that it is at least as effective as conventional antibiotic treatment - and for some forms of the disease, more effective, reports CAM editor Simon Martin."

This statement is misleading. It subtly implies that herbal protocols can cure you without abx. that is NOT what Dr. Sapi's research has found, she found that the herbals in combo with abx were effective.

--------------------
"few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" - Mark Twain

Posts: 1008 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

I'm sure Dr. Sapi would not lend her name or allow her words to be taken out of context when making comments such as this:

"Unfortunately, when Bb is in these inactive forms, conventional antibiotic therapy will not destroy the bacteria,� say Sapi and her colleagues.

The article does not say to stop using antibiotics, rather to point out the deficiencies with antibiotic treatment. I think we all know that there is room for improvement when it comes to addressing all forms of this bacteria.

--------------------

31 Epitope test neg.

one4islands
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for one4islands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for posting this.

I forwarded it to my dr.

I had been taking both Samento/Banderol, Lumrokinase and my abx (Cleo).

I've decided to start this protocol as directed on page 5 of the above link.

I started my first round of the 60 days this morning with the Samento.

I am wondering whether to stop the Lumbrokinase or continue it as I just bought a new bottle.

I take Magnesium Chelated so now I wonder about the Mag. Malate.

I'm going to buy some Cumanda and get this a try as well.

Posts: 412 | From Virginia | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

I would continue with the Lumbrokinase as your physician has instructed. It is a good product for biofilms.

Chelated Magnesium: is bound to amino acids and are the magnesium supplementation of choice for most health conditions. They are more expensive, but can be taken in larger dosages with fewer laxative side effects. Chelated magnesium preparations go by many different names, all being suitable for magnesium supplementation:

* Elemental Chelated Magnesium

* Magnesium Glycinate

* Magnesium Malate- a good choice for Symptoms of Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Patients- the connection between Fibromyalgia and Magnesium is VERY strong!!

It's my understanding that Magnesium Malate is just another form of Chelated Magnesium.

--------------------

31 Epitope test neg.

Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had purchased the first month of the Cowden protocol months ago but never used it. I may try to add it in with my next round of abx though.

Cowden incorporates serrapeptase as a biofilm buster...

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's also good to see a malpractice lawyer on the chronic lyme team for a change [Wink]

--------------------

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Interesting that Cowden incorporates Serrapeptase.. I use it everyday..

That lawyer is probably getting alot of attention having his name published in this article. [Smile]

--------------------

31 Epitope test neg.

onbam
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've posted this a lot, but here goes, anyway:

I relapsed hard on Samento/Banderol this summer, and a Swiss researcher, Martin Sievers, claimed that it actually promoted Bb growth. If you do a search here you can find my other posts on it.

I asked an LL-Naturopath yesterday about this, and was told that perhaps it could have been a result of spirochetes being released into my system by the destruction of biofilms . She claimed that a strong antimicrobial was necessary with this and every other treatment that busted biofilm.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

I have read that Professor Sievers never did publish that report. Also, S. Buhner, who actually prefers the whole herb cat's claw, states that report was flawed.

I have found the study report that Dr. Eva Sapi published:

In vitro effectiveness of Samento and Banderol herbal extracts on the different morphological forms of Borrelia burgdorferi.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/In+vitro+effectiveness+of+Samento+and+Banderol+herbal+extracts+on+the...-a0231545005

In this study, two herbal extracts, Samento and Banderol, as well as doxycycline (one of the primary antibiotics for Lyme disease treatment) were tested for their in vitro effectiveness on several of the different morphological forms of B. burgdorferi (spirochetes, round bodies, and biofilmlike colonies) using fluorescent, darkfield microscopic, and BacLight viability staining methods.

Our results demonstrated that both herbal agents, but not doxycycline, had very significant effects on all forms of B. burgdorferi, especially when used in combination, suggesting that herbal agents could provide an effective therapeutic approach for Lyme disease patients.

Onbam, did you rotate the two anti-microbials the way that was suggested in the Revised protocol? I think this is very important to prevent resistance.

--------------------

31 Epitope test neg.

Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

It's probably wise to run abx in conjunction with the herbs. A pulsed schedule in this case may work better. At least if you're pulsing abx as well, you shouldn't have to worry about herbal failure too much.

--------------------

lululymemom
Member # 26405

Interestingly, Dr. K. at his seminar expressed that he used Samento in treating a pregnant woman. I don't always agree with Dr. K. but if it works, that is all the proof I need.

I would be interested to hear what he had to say at his latest conference. Hopefully someone will post that soon.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/103329?

I just got through with another pregnancy, a friend of mine from Canada, she was positive for Lyme Disease.

And we put her on the herbal treatment, ignoring all the herbal rules; we put her on PC-Samento which is not allowed during pregnancy; we put her on PC -Noni which is not allowed during pregnancy ----- nothing is allowed during pregnancy, but if you don�t treat it, you have a crippled child, or a crippled adult if it makes it into adulthood.

The herbal treatments have turned out to be extremely safe, the herbal treatments that I am recommending, and have worked beautifully in accompanying the pregnancy

--------------------

31 Epitope test neg.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement