LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » HELP ... Rash worse after week off Doxy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HELP ... Rash worse after week off Doxy
TN Kim
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26729

Icon 4 posted      Profile for TN Kim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I was dx with Lyme and possible Bart over 2 years ago after a tick bite. Was on abx therapy

for about 6 months then stopped on my own because I was tired of taking so many meds.

This Spring, I got another bite and found the engorged tick on my belly during the night. I contacted my LLMD and he started me on high

doses of Doxycycline and took it for 3.5 weeks before I started to develop a rash on my arms.

The left arm was worse from driving so I figured I would STOP the Doxy and DID.

That was OVER a WEEK ago and I have STAYED out of the sun. My rash is increasing WORSE and

SPREADING up my arm and down to my fingers! I went to my walk-in clinic and they wouldn't treat me ... said I needed to see the

prescribing doctor of the Doxy! They even made me an appt with him for tomorrow morning.

Problem is that is over an hour's drive for me and I am miserable NOW and SCARED! The NP at

the clinic wasn't sure it was even from the Doxy since it's gotten worse after stopping over a

week ago.

I have calls into my LLMD but so far he has not offered any help! I have even e-mailed links to

pictures of my rash to him and am waiting / hoping to hear something back and SOON! Any ideas / advice, suggestions appreciated!!!

EDIT: LLMD called and is prescribing me with a Medrol Dose Pack to start tonight until I can

get to see him tomorrow morning. This is a STEROID! But he is my LYme doctor... so what

do you all think?

--------------------
Bite 4/22/12
abx 5/03/12
neg. Lyme
pos. Cpn 5/17/12

Bite 5/22/10
abx 6/25/10

IgM � Igenex Positive & CDC/NYS Positive with 18+ ; 23-25+; 31+; 34+; 41+; 66+; 83-93 (IND)

IgG � Igenex Positive; CDC/NYS Negative with 31+; 39 (IND); 41++; 58+

Posts: 339 | From Tennessee | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does the rash look like what you posted a few weeks ago?

Moving to Medical Questions for more help.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Post it again

What about anti-histamines like benadryl
or niacin to flush

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TN Kim
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TN Kim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I took my 1st dose of Methyprednisolone Dose Pack tonight! My LLMD prescribed it without

seeing the rash but I have an appt. with him tomorrow morning. Hoping nothing worse happens

between now and then! I will attach pictures of it here if I can!

-

-

The rash I posted a few weeks ago was on my breast.

Kim

--------------------
Bite 4/22/12
abx 5/03/12
neg. Lyme
pos. Cpn 5/17/12

Bite 5/22/10
abx 6/25/10

IgM � Igenex Positive & CDC/NYS Positive with 18+ ; 23-25+; 31+; 34+; 41+; 66+; 83-93 (IND)

Posts: 339 | From Tennessee | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, this is so bad, you pretty much need the prednisone.

I hope that in a few hours you will get some relief.

Did you take all 6 pills at once? That's what I would do.

Glad you are seeing the doc tomorrow. Tell us what he says so we all can learn.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TN Kim
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TN Kim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, TF, I took all 6 pils at once with my supper! Uugh ... this sucks!!! [Frown]

I also took a Benadryl capsule ... asked the pharmacist and she said it was "ok" to take with the Pred!

--------------------
Bite 4/22/12
abx 5/03/12
neg. Lyme
pos. Cpn 5/17/12

Bite 5/22/10
abx 6/25/10

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
While it sure could be some other kind of tick-borne infection . . .

I'm thinking since it's only on your arms and worse on the left arm that it is a doxy sunburn, even through car windows.

The blistering just looks like it was from outwardly directed heat, not from the inside (for some reason).

Were your arms exposed to day light while you have been out of the house or even near windows in your home?

If not, a sheer shirt can still let in the sun's rays. It would have to be a very tight weave to block the sun.

Even after stopping doxy, sun sensitivity can go on for a few weeks.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you'll see the doctor tomorrow!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jennybean
Member # 34198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jennybean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a rash similar to this after being off Doxy for over a week. I only took small quantities for less than a month as well. I went tanning for 10 minutes and lo and behold...all body rash. It sucked...im sorry you're experiencing this. I don't care for Doxy at all...this is not "typical" but I have trouble detoxing, so I think that has something to do with it. Hope you feel better!
Posts: 7 | From Dallas | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TN Kim
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26729

Keebler, I have tried to wear sunblock and hide my arms any time I go outside or even in the car

but they have not been 100% covered at all times. Like I said, I stopped the DOxy over a week ago

but since the rash hasn't ever improved, only worsened, I've still been careful about the sun

but maybe not enough? I did just now discover what I think are more rash bumps on the back of

my neck ... the only place that I definitely have some "sun". *sigh* I guess I need to never

leave the house again! Going to upload pics of my neck ... will post them soon.

--------------------
Bite 4/22/12
abx 5/03/12
neg. Lyme
pos. Cpn 5/17/12

Bite 5/22/10
abx 6/25/10

Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Could the chemicals in the sunblock have anything to do with this?

Still, it really does sound like sun burn. I've heard of those with terrible burns who didn't really even have direct sun exposure -- and many through car windows, even required gloves to drive.

Sorry. This looks so rough. Hope the prednisone helps. Guard against the "steroid munchies" or overdoing activity as it can give you a false sense of energy.

This should get better soon, but for 3 weeks, I read at one site, you can be sensitive to sun. It may be longer if skin is damage.

--------------------

Drink water to help your skin move out the fluid.

GOTU KOLA, an herb, may be helpful to help the skin heal from the inside out. It's great for micro-circulation and collegen repair.

CALIFLORA CALENDULA GEL (but it's not oily at all) for topical use. I would avoid anything that is oily or chemical based.

Some calendula gels are oily. ONLY this brand is not, that I've found.

Many stores and vitamin shops carry this:

http://www.vitacost.com/boericke-tafel-califlora-calendula-gel
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TN Kim
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26729

Thanks! Here is what I just found on my neck ... the area that is difficult to "hide"

from the sun! [Wink] Looks and feels like the same thing happening here as well! Guess I will become

a house hermit for a few weeks ... maybe Dracula and live in the dark! Ha!

-

-

--------------------
Bite 4/22/12
abx 5/03/12
neg. Lyme
pos. Cpn 5/17/12

Bite 5/22/10
abx 6/25/10

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I would be sure to assess the chemicals in the sunblock, too. Take that list or label to your LLMD tomorrow.

It could have intensified the reaction.

So many sunblocks are toxic. I'll be back with a safe sunscreen link.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
You don't have to sign up for any list, just click on through to the site:

http://breakingnews.ewg.org/2012sunscreen/

Environmental Working Group

SUNSCREEN GUIDE - Summer 2012

Many links here.

------------------------------

http://breakingnews.ewg.org/2012sunscreen/sunscreens-exposed/does-sunscreen-damage-skin/

Do Sunscreens Damage Skin?

Excerpts:

. . . Most of the US-approved UV filters release free radicals � octylmethoxycinnamate, oxybenzone, avobenzone, octocrylene, titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, Padimate O, PABA, menthyl anthranilate, and Mexoryl SX . . .

. . . Some sunscreen ingredients or formulations may be more damaging to skin than others.

Both nano-size zinc oxide and titanium dioxide from sunscreens react strongly with UV light (Dunford 1997) and may damage skin cells (Sharma 2009). . . .

. . . Furthermore, the crystal structure of titanium dioxide (anatase vs. rutile) also appears to affect its potency in generating free radicals (Lu 2008).

The UV filter Padimate O causes skin damage through an entirely different mechanism.
. . .
-

TN Kim
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26729

I'm getting very stressed and it feels like my left eye is pulling or tight or itchy or something.

Even the left side of my face feels strange now and then .. perhaps I am causing myself to have

a panic attack on top of everything else. Maybe I need to chill a while! [Frown]

--------------------
Bite 4/22/12
abx 5/03/12
neg. Lyme
pos. Cpn 5/17/12

Bite 5/22/10
abx 6/25/10

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
The steroids can be creating some internal excitement (sure did for me in the past). Steroids can cause full blown anxiety. I hate to say that but it's important to know to understand and then relax enough to not be pulled in that direction.

Instead, try to "harness" that energy and redirect it or envision saving it up to dole out later as you wish (as we all wish it could work that way, eh?)

Breathe, do all you can to create a calm environment. This will likely start improving soon.

Find some funny movie, etc.

If you ever watched "Seinfeld" might you recall an episode where Kramer went up on the roof and covered himself in butter and literally baked like a Turkey? That was so funny. And, fortunately, you are not that toasted.

Take care. Breathe slowly and often.
-

TN Kim
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26729

Thanks, Keebler! [Wink]

--------------------
Bite 4/22/12
abx 5/03/12
neg. Lyme
pos. Cpn 5/17/12

Bite 5/22/10
abx 6/25/10

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Oh yeah... those steroids will amp you up like crazy! Hope you can get some sleep tonight! I HATE steroids!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

TN Kim
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26729

Thanks, Lymetoo.

--------------------
Bite 4/22/12
abx 5/03/12
neg. Lyme
pos. Cpn 5/17/12

Bite 5/22/10
abx 6/25/10

YinYang
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36358

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YinYang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hopefully to possibly put your mind at ease...the rash pictures you posted look exactly like doxy sun rashes that I got. Doxy stays in your system for quite a while and any sun that reaches you (even through a window or indirectly) will make the rash worse and worse. It takes a while, but, it should calm down and go away if you can stay out of the sun. That said, I'm only speaking from my experience. Hang in there.
Posts: 274 | From United States | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TN Kim
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26729

Thank you, YinYang! I'm trying to hang on! [Wink]

--------------------
Bite 4/22/12
abx 5/03/12
neg. Lyme
pos. Cpn 5/17/12

Bite 5/22/10
abx 6/25/10

TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I went on the Dosepack, I couldn't sleep until nearly the end. That's how much the prednisone jacks me up.

I am tired, but it won't let me rest.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, doxy rash it seems. As people have said, it stays in your system for 10 days--possibly more. Plus, once you have the rash, it takes a while for it to go away.

Of course, use high SPF full-spectrum sun block if you do go out, even if overcast. And you could use a wide brimmed hat and a light scarf around you neck.

I hope that your dr warned you about the sun sensitivity issue ahead of time! Drs are famous for not warning you about side-effects. But this is a well-known and bad one. Usually people aren't on doxy in the summer for that reason, unless they very much need that particular abx.

Take care!

Posts: 3770 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TN Kim
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26729

Thank you, Rumigirl! NO, my LLMD did NOT warn me about it but I did see something either on the

bottle or on a forum and tried to be careful but apparently I wasn't careful enough!!!

--------------------
Bite 4/22/12
abx 5/03/12
neg. Lyme
pos. Cpn 5/17/12

Bite 5/22/10
abx 6/25/10

TN Kim
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26729

Saw my Lyme doctor and in about 2 seconds while still standing he said that my rash was a typical Doxy rash and he "sees them all the
time" and that was it.

Said make an appointment for a follow-up if I want to talk about my recent lab results and that the tick was "negative" for Lyme.

When I asked why then did I have the same symptoms again as after the first bite 2.5 years ago, he simply said,... "Ihave no idea!"

So .... I guess I'm done with the long drives to Franklin to see this Lyme "specialist" ... the ONLY one in TN.

Can we say, "burnout"? Yea, being the only "Lyme
Literate" Doctor in TN and having a rash (no pun intended) of new cases of Lyme Disease along with its very vast and puzzling co-infections,

loses its initial attraction after a couple of years I suppose. Much easier to go back to the "easy stuff". *sigh*

--------------------
Bite 4/22/12
abx 5/03/12
neg. Lyme
pos. Cpn 5/17/12

Bite 5/22/10
abx 6/25/10

Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just want to pose another possibility, that it has nothing to do with doxy but is in fact a herx from the doxy. I have had rashes for 20 years, I believe it is an allergic reaction to the die off. when I first went on long term abx last year, I got a really intense version of my rash (that look just like yours)

But for me, adding doxy actually clears up the rashes like prednsone never did for me. Doxy works in the skin.

If it's itchy, see if your llmd can prescribe periactin. it is an antihistimine that I have found works much better than benedryl.

Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Not all tick tests are accurate.

Doxy, itself can cause rashes of various kinds. .

But the fact that you had lyme symptoms before even staring the doxy is significant.

So sorry that he did not take more time to help with the rash and what can help now - and that he did NOT warn you about sun exposure.

The pharmacist should have done so, too.
-

TN Kim
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26729

One thing I had failed to mention to my LLMD is that I had been bitten by THREE different ticks within the same two weeks!

The one that was attached and engorged on my belly during the night, is the only one that I thought to KEEP, and therefore had it tested!

The other two were only on me briefly but they did bite (that's how I knew they were there) and I removed them quickly!

Who knows if they released something into my body just with that first bite or what other ticks I got that same week and never found!??

All I know is that 2.5 years ago, I had a very positive IGENEX reult (as is in my signature) and I had the EXACT freaky symptoms this time.

I had a strange and sudden bruise pop up immediately down my finger after breaking a carrot stick in half for my horse.

Then I had the nodule pop up on my wrist, the only other one I have EVER had and exactly as I had the first time I had LYme 2 years ago.

My LLMD saw the nodule and I told him about the bruising and that is when he tested my blood again but because his test came came negative, he has dimissed it!

Of course he is also going by the fact that the tick I sent in to IGENEX came back negative but as I stated above, I failed to mention the other ticks! *sigh*

Thankfully, my rash finally shows some improvement this morning after the second days of Medrol!

Thank you ALL so much for your replies to this thread. I guess at this point, I will see how I feel after completing the Medrol!

However, I still have pains in my hands and feet and muscles twitches that have never stopped from the first infection of 2.5 years ago. I have really just learned to live with them and quit complaining! [Wink]

--------------------
Bite 4/22/12
abx 5/03/12
neg. Lyme
pos. Cpn 5/17/12

Bite 5/22/10
abx 6/25/10

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Keebler:
-
Not all tick tests are accurate.

-
I found that out the hard way!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to say, as you know now, it sounds like you need a new doc. I know only too well how frustrating this is!!

Any Lyme doc who gives doxy in the summer with no warning . . . not good!! And then to dismiss you so easily with not much help . . . . And to rely on tick testing??? Yikes! 3 strikes and you're out!

Find the best doc you can.

Oh, and what I do, because our cases are complex, and it is easy to forget what you need to say/ask in an appt. I spend a day or two writing up all my current symptoms, concerns, meds, supplements, what went on, questions, etc. and have a copy for the doc, and one for me, so as to make the most of the appt. It is indispensable, if you ask me. (Separate list of meds & supps).

What about the wonderful LL NP in DC? I know that may be a looong way from you! Could do phone consults after the first visit.

Posts: 3770 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TN Kim
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26729

I so appreciate all of your help and concerns, I truly do! I would have to say that going anywhere further than the one hour's drive that I have been making is pretty much a far shot!

Why? Because I don't like to drive the interstates, and I have never flown nor plan to start at nearly 48 years of age. Terrified of heights!

Good excuses? I"m sure they are NOT but that is how it is with me. Who knows, maybe at some point desperation will force me to change. LOL!

--------------------
Bite 4/22/12
abx 5/03/12
neg. Lyme
pos. Cpn 5/17/12

Bite 5/22/10
abx 6/25/10

TN Kim
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26729

Thank you all! Just to update ... was put on the Medrol pack to clear up the Doxy rash from Hell!!! Finally all but gone but now I feel TERRIBLE.

Muscle and joint aches, and the most worrysome is weakness in my hips and legs again. (The WORST symptom I had 2 years ago when I was diagnosed through IGENEX for Lyme)

Trying to get a referral from my GP to see a Neurologist. Have no more faith in my LLMD since he rushed me out when looking at my rash ... and

since he didn't know to NOT put me on Doxy in the SUMMER or NOT to put me on a steroid if I've possibly still got Lyme. :'( .

--------------------
Bite 4/22/12
abx 5/03/12
neg. Lyme
pos. Cpn 5/17/12

Bite 5/22/10
abx 6/25/10

kidsgotlyme
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kim. I highly recommend that you get in with someone else out of state. We went to this same doctor that you are talking about for about one year, and now we see someone in Ct.

It is a VERY long drive(18 hours one way) but so worth it.

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

I doubt that seeing a neurologist is going to be a good move. They are as bad as infectious disease docs for lyme patients.

I was sent to one, and he treated me like a mental patient. He didn't believe my positive lyme test from LabCorp. His goal was to declare that I did not have lyme disease.

These docs order spinal taps and brain scans and such. When you get a negative spinal tap (no lyme found in your spinal fluid), they announce that you don't have lyme!

A neurologist will NOT treat you.

Why are you thinking of seeing a neurologist rather than a different lyme doctor?

There is an outstanding lyme doc in D.C. who will do telephone appointments after the first in-person appointment. People who are going to her are really improving, and quickly too.

She comes highly recommended by top names in the lyme world and by state lyme disease associations.

Maybe there is a train to D.C. from somewhere near you.

Let me know if you want to know more.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement