LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

Tax deductible

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

2016 LymeNet fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.
In the United States, your donations are tax deductible.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » The Microscopy Thread (Page 17)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17   
Author Topic: The Microscopy Thread
TNT
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 42349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mustardseed2:
Anyone have any pictures of Anaplasma in Lymphocytes?

TNT?

I'll put a couple up soon.
Posts: 1192 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mustardseed2
Member # 48048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustardseed2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome!

Ya I saw some of the aforementioned pictures on Page 13, but those were anaplasma in granulocytes.

I did find some pictures of lymphocytes on Google, but I always like first-hand pics better.

Posts: 39 | From Canada | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thatdudefromkansas
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46768

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thatdudefromkansas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lymedin2010:
You guys are upper echelon here, and there are many newbies there who need some direction.

I always post the most interesting stuff here, when I find it & try to collect new technology over there, as there are tons of it really. Also the newbies will see everything as pathogenic if they do not have some direction & even then they might be resistant & not believe at times.

Peter is there, but s13 has not identified himself. I may send him an email. There are a lot more lurkers there than posters.

Borrelia, babs, & bart can be with infection but asymptomatic & I so no reason why other organisms can present this way. Especially TBD's.

What do you guys think of this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6v4Mst4S7g

Hey, nice video...good job!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH3fGVndMYo

The first video: That is a common appearance of erythrocytes. Some of the erythrocytes that lack the same mass as others will appear like that.
If you think of the common appearnce of RBC's as inner tube like this: http://arogyamasthu.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/red_blood_cells.jpg
That appearance is compounded with darkfield, so they will appear to have a depression in the center as opposed to being a solidly round object.
You all will see it with your darkfield. It might not be as pronounced depending on your microscope, but it will always be present.

So that is a common appearance of RBC's.

Posts: 162 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNT
Member # 42349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here you go....

A morula in a Natural Killer Lymphocyte:

-

In a regular Lymphocyte:

-

A mostly phagocytized morula in a Natural Killer Lymphocyte:

-

Morula in a Monocyte:

-

Individual bacteria being engulfed by a Neutrophil:

-

Morula in a Neutrophil:

-

Posts: 1192 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNT
Member # 42349

What do you think, mustardseed2? Pretty wild, huh?

Speaking for myself, I know it just blows my mind that this is a relatively very healthy individual with only a few minor health complaints. Especially since this can be a life-threatening infection.

mustardseed2
Member # 48048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustardseed2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TNT that's beautiful stuff! Really good pictures!

Ya crazy this can be from a mostly healthy person. And then some of us are really struggling with blood that doesn't look nearly as bad.

The reason this interests me is because back in 2015 I tested positive for Anaplasmosis through Igenex.

I've never seen morula in any of my white blood cells, but I keep on eye on them because of my previous test results (though I have treated with antibiotics since)

I have a particular interest in lymphocyte inclusions because I often see small purple dots (similar to the small dots in your first picture) in lymphocytes (specifically the ones like your second picture).

I don't know what those inclusions are, but they're obviously too small to be morula. It could be a stain artifact, but I'm not sure since they only show up in those particular WBC's.

I'll have to try to grab a picture sometime.

Thanks again for the great pics!

Posts: 39 | From Canada | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNT
Member # 42349

quote:
I have a particular interest in lymphocyte inclusions because I often see small purple dots (similar to the small dots in your first picture) in lymphocytes (specifically the ones like your second picture).

I don't know what those inclusions are, but they're obviously too small to be morula. It could be a stain artifact, but I'm not sure since they only show up in those particular WBC's.

Thanks again for the great pics!

If your inclusions are like what is shown in my first pic, what you are viewing are Natural Killer Lymphocytes (the CD57 WBCs). That's what they look like (minus the morula, of course). So, it's good you are seeing those. I'm not sure why they have those larger granules in them, but that's just the way they are. If you look a few pages back, I came across them myself for the first time and thought the inclusions had to be a Rickettsia, but after looking into it further, realized they were our beloved CD57 cells. My blood has very few of them, but this friend's blood has many. That's why I doubt he has Lyme.

http://www.lab.anhb.uwa.edu.au/mb140/CorePages/Blood/blood.htm

-

-

[ 02-17-2017, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: TNT ]

TNT
Member # 42349

quote:
I've never seen morula in any of my white blood cells, but I keep on eye on them because of my previous test results (though I have treated with antibiotics since)

Just a caution as you look. Other things can look like morulas, and it can be difficult to discern the difference.

The most common finding are platelets. It can be almost impossible to discern the difference. Platelets on/in WBCs usually have a LIGHT BLUE cytoplasmic "halo" around them in a Wright-Giemsa stain. Morulas have a clear "halo" around them if they have a clearing. Many times they don't. It depends on how far along they are in the phagocytosis process.

The other possibility are Dohle bodies. These tend to be lighter in color, usually light blue/gray in a Wright Giemsa stain.

I feel the most comfortable calling something a morula when I can see definite individual elemental bodies comprising the morula and absent a light blue halo/periphery.

-

-

https://www.mspca.org/angell_services/feline-anaplasmosis/

-
Peripheral blood smear from a cat infected with A. phagocytophilum.
The thick black arrow shows a morula within the cytoplasm of a neutrophil.
The thin black arrow shows a Döhle body for comparison.
Wright-Giemsa stain.

mustardseed2
Member # 48048

Thanks TNT.

My WBC's that have those inclusions (small dots) are the WBC type in your second picture... regular Lymphocytes.

Regular Lymphocytes with the small dot inclusions seen in your natural killer cells.

Could be normal.

Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymedin2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your stains are awesome TNT & I am still trying to perfect mine, as energy permits. Thanks for the insightful lecture!

On another note, usually I dismiss any Babesia crosses I see in DF videos, as they are very rare and hard to find & they could easily be surface light diffraction anomalies. But this one is rather convincing. The Maltese cross forms within the rbc appear to move as well. Also, some adjacent rbc's have what look like merozoites escaping from the rbc & are on the EDGES of the rbc, which adds to the support. (bottom left quadrant in this video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPSvlgoNdBk

Nice merozoite stains on this one too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-gAqaxug6E

Posts: 1938 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNT
Member # 42349

Thanks for the compliments fellows.

quote:

Definitely put some up. I'm very interested in seeing some pics of what you're finding.

I made a stained smear and a wet mount the other day and just got done viewing them. The live blood revealed very few spirochetes. For that I'm very pleased. I viewed it over a couple days and the ones that exited are the only ones I saw. I didn't notice any crystals/granules, but did notice a couple gemma cysts. I only viewed it in dark phase, so it's possible I would have seen more gemma cysts if I had also viewed it in darkfield. (They are more easily seen with darkfield). Next time I think I will switch over to darkfield as well, just to be sure.

About the stained slide, though. I saw only a couple leukocytes with possible morulas. So, very low to no load. I am pleased with that, but want to see none.

But the thing that really caught my attention and is a bit alarming is marked leukopenia. I have been seeing this all along, but it really stood out to me after viewing my friend's blood. It also appeared that the leukopenia was worse than it's been. I'll soon know for sure if my absolutes are out of range because I'm getting a CBC/CMP done soon.

Anaplasma and Ehrlichia can cause leukopenia (for obvious reasons), but I recently read that Babesia can cause it too.

http://patient.info/doctor/babesiosis.htm

The other surprise in the article was that Babesia can cause atypical lymphocytes.... another thing I've noticed with my blood. Babesia treatment is on the plate, so we'll see how that goes.

mustardseed2
Member # 48048

TNT, hopefully your load continues to go down.

What treatment are you on right now?

I too have leukopenia. Neutropenia to be exact.

I was positive for Anaplasmosis through Igenex, and been diagnosed clinically for Babesia by my LLMD (I also herx HUGE on Babesia medications).

Unfortunately I haven't seen either Babesia or Anaplasma in my blood, so I don't know which is causing the lack of white cells. You are correct though, it could be either one.

The other white cells to keep an eye on with Babesia are eosinophils. Traditionally they're elevated in parasitic infections, but they can also be elevated in Babesia infections.

Schaller goes into detail about this in his Babesia book, but here's an article about it as well:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1925019/

When I started Alinia, I got severe eosinophilia for about 2 weeks. My CBC numbers were off the chart. When I looked at my blood smear, it was almost scary. There were eosinophils everywhere! I'd say like at least 4-5 eosinophils for every 1 other white blood cell.

Ok, anyway, here's a picture of what I was describing before, though I think this is a monocyte.

-

Note the purple dot near the top of the cell.
Sometimes I see 2 or 3 of them in a single cell.
Often they're in lymphocytes too.

Any idea what this is?

This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement

© 1993-2016 The Lyme Disease Network of New Jersey, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Use of the LymeNet Site is subject to the Terms and Conditions.