LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

Tax deductible

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.
In the United States, your donations are tax deductible.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Mild Hyperbaric Treatment (Page 43)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 43 pages: 1  2  3  ...  40  41  42  43   
Author Topic: Mild Hyperbaric Treatment
Kaibyrd
Member # 45606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kaibyrd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kgg my body doesn’t do well with otc or Rx meds so I haven’t tried Imodium yet but I’ve been taking probiotics and fermented foods as well as detox supplements. Imodium is next though if this keeps up.

Carbokitty, I can usually smell mold and I don’t smell any in my house at all but that doesn’t mean it isn’t there. I’ll have to find something that can detect it.

--------------------
KB

Posts: 57 | From Northern VA | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles12
Member # 24729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven’t updated in some time. I’d have to go back and look, but I’ve probably been using mhbot for a year and a half now.

I’m better, but it’s not a silver bullet. My immune system has an exaggerated inflammatory response to infections, and I still feel that inflammation a daily basis. It interferes with everything from cognition, to aerobic stamina.

My biggest gains are cognitive though. I have a history of brain injury and my memory, a sore spot since the last incident, has noticeably improved.

If I go on a potent anti inflammatory, I actually feel great. Normal even. But if I do that, the Babesia and the Bartonella symptoms come back, very quickly.

Posts: 40 | From Virginia | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Digby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Charles12, Thanks for the update. May I ask the protocol that you have been following for the last 1.5 years?
Posts: 436 | From NW Arkansas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Charles12~

In addition to Digby's request, could you tell us what your diet has consisted of?

I am wondering if the continual inflammatory reaction originates in the gut.

Posts: 1362 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kaibyrd:
So I’m pretty sure mHBOT is causing the diarrhea. We took a 5 day vacation (was planned and paid for before I started hbot) and I had no problems while away. I got back late last night so didn’t dive until today. No issues before the dive but now it’s baaaa-aack. 🙁 I have no idea what to do for it since the usual treatments aren’t working.

Kaibird~

This might seem obvious, but what happens if you take a 5 day vacation from mHBOT while you are at home? Do you still have the symptoms?

In which case it would more likely indicate a reaction to something in your home environment, not mHBOT.

Posts: 1362 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

quote:
Originally posted by carbokitty:
Good morning all~
...So my question is what do you record on your log of dives? I have created a spreadsheet to record the date, the time, how I felt. Then because my primary symptoms I am trying to address are my stools and my sleep, I am logging how those are the night and day after that particular dive. Also in the mix are any supplements or changes in supplements as I find those can have a substantial affect on those 2 events. After I've had more dive time under by belt, I will record an track any foods I try as I attempt to expand my diet (but for right now, I'm leaving that alone and sticking with what I know works). I'm just curious if you log anything else. Do you use a notebook? Or electronic?

Happy diving!
Carbokitty

Hi Carbokitty~

You've already received great suggestions, but I wanted to add that it is important to jot down something simple/new about your daily experience that will jog your memory about that time when you look back on your log.

For example, as I was improving with mHBOT, I would write something like, "brushed dog", or "pulled weeds for 10 minutes". For some reason, when I read this back later, it evoked the feeling of that time, and I could definitely tell the difference between how I was functioning then in comparison to my current status.

Kaibyrd
Member # 45606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kaibyrd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Phoiph:
quote:
Originally posted by Kaibyrd:
So I’m pretty sure mHBOT is causing the diarrhea. We took a 5 day vacation (was planned and paid for before I started hbot) and I had no problems while away. I got back late last night so didn’t dive until today. No issues before the dive but now it’s baaaa-aack. 🙁 I have no idea what to do for it since the usual treatments aren’t working.

Kaibird~

This might seem obvious, but what happens if you take a 5 day vacation from mHBOT while you are at home? Do you still have the symptoms?

In which case it would more likely indicate a reaction to something in your home environment, not mHBOT.

Phoiph, it’s gone again the past two days. I had gone back up on my magnesium while away from home. I can’t always eat well when eating out and magnesium keeps my IBS in check. I forgot to reduce it when I first got home so that could be the culprit but I thought that before the trip and it wasn’t. Since going down on it after returning back home, the diarrhea has dissipated, for now. Still waiting and watching. I’m off the mask still. My body just can’t tolerate it and let me still function so I’ll probably stay off for another week, then try 15 minutes a dive. I’ll keep y’all posted if anything changes.

--------------------
KB

Posts: 57 | From Northern VA | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles12
Member # 24729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Charles12~

I am wondering if the continual inflammatory reaction originates in the gut.

It's probably just my immune system, and the way it works, and doesn't work.

Regardless, it does appear to serve a useful purpose, even if causes other problems.

Posts: 40 | From Virginia | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles12
Member # 24729

quote:
Originally posted by Digby:
Hi Charles12, Thanks for the update. May I ask the protocol that you have been following for the last 1.5 years?

It depends on the period. There were times when my Bartonella would creep in. So I'd take Rifampin. There were times when Babesia was a bigger problem. And I'd be on Mepron.

I've always been on something, usually a cocktail of three or four drugs.

Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Digby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Charles12...I didn't make that clear, I was wondering specifically about your mHBOT protocol.
Posts: 436 | From NW Arkansas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

And I was wondering specifically about your diet...
Charles12
Member # 24729

quote:
Originally posted by Digby:
Charles12...I didn't make that clear, I was wondering specifically about your mHBOT protocol.

One hour, once a day.
Charles12
Member # 24729

quote:
And I was wondering specifically about your diet...

It’s not my diet. It’s how my body responds to infection. Inflammation and specifically neural inflammation was my first symptom.

I test much higher for IGM vs IGG.

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Charles12~

I’m glad to hear you’ve made cognitive improvements since starting mHBOT, but I understand that you were hoping for further gains in other areas by this time. In my experience, there is usually a reason for this, and if the person makes adjustments in their protocol, they can often move forward.

Neural inflammation was one of my first (and worst) symptoms also, and I’d like to offer another perspective on a possible contributing cause of inflammatory cycle you’re experiencing. It is just my theory of what might be happening, based on what I experienced and have observed in others.

As I'm sure you know, most of the immune system and neural system resides in the gut, it can often be the source (sometimes hidden) of a cyclical inflammatory response in the body.

Due to many causes (infections, prescription drugs, etc.), the junctures in the intestine become damaged/leaky, allowing proteins to pass through into the bloodstream, which cause an ongoing immune reaction, and continual inflammation in the body.

If the gut is not allowed to heal (and the junctures to become tight again), the inflammatory response will continue, and sometimes it is even mistaken for inflammation from the infections themselves.

So, from what you’ve said, IMO, what could be happening is this:

You have ongoing inflammation (from infections, leaky gut, etc.) and take a “potent” anti-inflammatory which makes you feel better temporarily, but this further irritates and inflames your gut and flares your symptoms. You take more drugs to fight the Babesia and Bartonella, which further affects/disregulates the gut/immune system, and the cycle repeats itself.

IMO, it is crucial that mHBOT is combined with a scrupulous, gut-healing diet, and gradual weaning of the potent anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial drugs (with doctor’s guidance) once some initial improvement/strength is achieved with mHBOT. Graded movement/exercise to move lymph is also totally necessary.

Once these adjustments have been made, the immune system will have a chance to normalize and stop over and under-reacting, and will be better equipped to deal with infections as it was designed to do. At this point, I would be optimistic that the inflammatory cycle could be broken, and further gains made.

Charles12
Member # 24729

I initially used the chamber as a mono therapy. This was true for the first eighth months. It was only when my condition began to deteriorate that I resumed medication. There were no major changes in that period. My symptoms just started creeping back in.

I also treated my Lyme within two weeks of the initial tick bite. I wasn’t treated for Bart or Babesia at that time. But in the scheme of things I received fairly prompt and aggressive treatment. I was on antibiotics for four straight months after the bite. And I did two months of rocephin at the six month mark.

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Hi Charles12~

Thanks for the background.

So, my thoughts are still the same...the gut would need to be addressed, especially since you had been on 6 months of antibiotic therapy, which certainly affected it.

I am quite certain I wouldn't have become 100% well with mHBOT if I hadn't also focused on gut healing. IMO, diet goes hand-in-hand with this therapy.

Peimomma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peimomma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to second Phoiph’s gut healing information. I went about mine differently using 4 months of Chinese herbs cooked up for me specifically and all that I was struggling with from meds, Lyme, inflammation and more. Each patient was treated differently after evaluation. He is a Korean acupuncture and Chinese herb doctor. He does not treat a diagnosis but symptoms and evaluation of the body.

Charles12 are you still on antibiotics? Why don’t you want to post what you’re eating? It’s hard for people to help with suggestions if we don’t know what your protocol is from treatments to food, sleep, exercise, medication and supplements. Have you been at full pressure with oxygen since the first treatment? Have you treated every day or do you take days off between treatments?

No judgment, we like to know all the information to help give accurate suggestions.

Posts: 187 | From AZ | Registered: Jan 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles12
Member # 24729

quote:
Hi Charles12~

Thanks for the background.

So, my thoughts are still the same...the gut would need to be addressed, especially since you had been on 6 months of antibiotic therapy, which certainly affected it.

If my gut was the issue, I wouldn’t have relapsed.
Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

quote:
Originally posted by Charles12:

[/qb]

If my gut was the issue, I wouldn’t have relapsed. [/QB][/QUOTE]

How do you figure that Charles12? I would like to understand.

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Charles12~

I did a history search and read all of your previous posts to try to get more background.

Your posts indicate some great progress! I truly hope you will allow us to help you try to figure out what might be holding you back.

OzLyme
Member # 51660

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OzLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the responses everyone!

Despite my fears of sinus and ear trouble, I decided to just try mHBOT. I couldn't find anywhere around where I am in Australia that does ozone therapy cheaply - theres just a Russian doctor who charges $250 a session. Whereas mHBOT is $30 for an hour. I may consider buying a chamber later if it looks like its helping.

I started slow like recommended here. It was a chamber that only goes to 1.35, and i stayed at 1.2 for ten mins, then 1.3, then 1.35. Just finished my first session an hour ago and I feel pretty good afterwards!

Definitely felt popping and crunching in my ears and sinuses (but that's not new), but it wasn't too severe. I used "Ear Planes" which may have helped things.

But I'm hoping if anything the HBOT will help my sinus situation. Everything is so blocked up there it feels like. And I know MARCoNS doesn't like oxygen, Chlamydia pneumoniae doesn't like a lot. I'm not sure about the penicillium fungus they found in my nose, but I figure the immune boosting effects of HBOT should ensure its a more positive than negative influence, in the long run.

Apart from this, I felt quite relaxed and clear minded in the chamber quite quickly. A surprising effect was that I felt my joints in various places crack during the session, in a pleasant way, giving way to muscle tension releasing. I sometimes get similar cracking effects from LLLT / red light therapy, but only in the area I use the light - this time it was all over my body, and it felt pretty good I must say.

Will keep everyone posted on how I go. Thanks again everyone for advice.

Posts: 36 | From NSW, Australia | Registered: Sep 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OzLyme
Member # 51660

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OzLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have had 2 sessions now.

After both sessions I noticed my sleep was a bit worse - it's already rather terrible, so maybe it was a herx or something. My newly arrived Oura ring showed a worse sleeping score. However my heart rate variability and pulse rate were showing a beneficial trend. In addition, maybe TMI... but on the second HBOT session after a night of insufficient sleep, I noticed I got a spontaneous erection in the chamber.. which is usually only something that happens in the morning / sometimes when I'm napping to catch up on sleep.

The guy at the centre said an hour of HBOT gave similar effects to a few hours of sleep. Of course I don't really believe he knows exactly what he's talking about, but maybe it is having some sort of similar effect on me. Or on my... errr, private parts at least.

But the thing that has concerned me is that after both sessions ive had a moment in the night where I felt some mild heart pain. Only briefly, but concerning. Similar sort of thing I experienced once or twice after taking NAC, actually. Maybe to do with oxidation / blood vessels, maybe something to do with my CPn infection (both HBOT and NAC should kill CPn). I'm not sure.

For now, I'm going to only dive every second or third day or so.

The place where I can do the mHBOT is also temporarily offering free molecular hydrogen along with HBOT at the moment. It can function as a selective antioxidant which I read can be beneficial and synergistic with HBOT, unlike other antioxidants, so i might try that next time I dive, before I go into the chamber.

[ 05-23-2019, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: OzLyme ]

Posts: 36 | From NSW, Australia | Registered: Sep 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 43 pages: 1  2  3  ...  40  41  42  43   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement

© 1993-2019 The Lyme Disease Network of New Jersey, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Use of the LymeNet Site is subject to the Terms and Conditions.