LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Berberine experiences?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Berberine experiences?
Kudzuslipper
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there. I have been truly impressed going through Marnie and Keebler's links on berberine. (I think I am understanding them.)

[bow] http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=118762;p=0

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=121034;p=0

I have a lot of things it could apply to, but I am most interested in it's anti-inflammatory properties (along with weight, gut health along with the antibacterial and anti parasite properties.

I was hoping to start a thread that is more for personal experiences. What has it helped with? Side effects/herxes? How long have you taken? At what dose? And what brand?
did you start lower and build up?

Of course, as Marnie and Keebler always say, never start without consulting a llmd/nd.

Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kudzu

I started berberine two weeks ago.

For inflammation in my feet and legs and also for weight loss. (I've started green tea phytosome as well at the same time)

I've been taking berberine HCL (indian barberry extract) 200mg per day.

The bottle says to take 2-3 times a day, (Total 400-600mg daily), but I wanted to start slow.

This is a great thread! Thank you for starting it.

Because I am doing this for inflammation, and I think weight gain is directly linked to inflammation, I am putting my weight here.

Gulp.

200 lbs.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
My experiences: best pain relief I've found; anti-inflammatory and therefore, decreased swelling.

Also helps to strengthen & improve (decrease) seizure threshold and sensory startle reaction.

Helps to relieve very nicely, that deep all over body pain (previously misdiagnosed as "fibromyalgia") / all over inflammation.

HANDS - very much helps very much to stop hands' "trigger joints" (every single hand/finger joint for me "triggers" so terribly) . . . Berberine, I found out, keeps them from "catching" or "triggering" - and from being painful even when they are not catching.

This very nice aspect was not expected but just happened. Each time I've run out and been off it for a week or two (or a month), the trigger joints and body pain return. Then, when start back up on this, all that gets far better again.
-

[ 09-02-2013, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

BERBERINE – INFORMATIONAL LINKS SET
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler, sounds like you found a perfect fit. I am doing some more reading and am gonna try it. Hope it helps me like it helps you. Did you know how long it was before you noticed it helping?
Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Three days for the body pain to start lifting . . . maybe a week for me to really notice.

The "trigger" joints - just something I noticed after having first been on it for - oh, maybe 2 - 3 weeks - maybe a month. I don't recall when I made that connection but, with repeated stops and restarts, it's clear that it's a winner against the trigger joints.

Always after restarting the same pattern to decrease pain. Better after 3 days and much better after about a week and then stays there.
-

Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so inspired by your success with it Keebler-- especially the pain relief-- I would like to try it. I just ordered some. do you think I should start it before I start the zyth?

did you have any herxing with the berberine? did you start at the recommended dose or did you build up?

[ 09-05-2013, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: Kudzuslipper ]

map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've joined the berberine 400mg once daily. Just started Monday.

Decided to try the Swanson brand, I've been pleased with all their products, so we'll see.

If it can help my urinary issues, lower my cholesterol and lower my inflammation......I will be one happy camper.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Pam, I am glad you wrote about swanson. I have been curious. certainly the best price out there. hope it helps you. let us know.
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Sorry but I just don't have the energy or brain power to answer all your good questions. so I try to supply information from authors.

As for starting before zith schedul for end of month, yeah, there's a lot of time before that.

start ANY supplement slow and low.

yes, it can cause herx so be sure water, good food and common sense stay with you.

I do not recall any major herx reaction, although, the anti-oxidant nature of this may increase bladder frequency and urgency at first. Still, be sure to get plenty of water.

-------------------------

Generally, keep separate by 2-3 hours, both clock directions:

Rx

Supplements (herbs, vitamins, minerals)

Probiotics

-----------------

You will likely find other details here, be sure to read as much as you can. Best if you could consult a LL ND (although I know access is very limited for most due to location and budget).

BERBERINE – INFORMATIONAL LINKS SET
-

[ 09-04-2013, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well one month on the Swanson Berberine 400 HCL. It has finally calmed down my urinary sx. TG

Sometimes I'm real slow......it just dawned on me today that this berberine has been causing a herx reaction in me for at least 3 weeks.

I've had some neuro stuff happening daily that I haven't had in years and years. Lots of brain inflammation, deep deep bone pain, crying bouts, brain fog, etc etc. Just herx like sx all day everyday.
So reminded me of my abx early years, before abx turned into my enemy.

I've been so worried and just didn't recognize what was happening. This berberine is really acting like an anti-bacterial and anti-yeast. I wondered why I was so gassy and seemed to be releasing some pretty toxic smells. [toilet]

Been wondering if I should be taking larger dosage. Dr K recommends 600-800. But I think for now, I'll just stay at 400 mg until it calms down, then up my dosage.

I believe my lyme bacteria load is very low from years of using rife, except for cyst forms of course. I've not had much success with rife for bart & babs so far.

Now that I'm aware of what is causing this....I'm hopeful.

Pam

KEEBLER- thanks for all you do in informing others of potential helpful products!!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Pam,

MARNIE with the one who brought this to our attention. I'd like to thank HER.

FWIW, I've had no herx reaction at all from Berberine.

While there is still plenty of pain that I can manage (and hope it still clears someday), the terrible nearly intolerable degree of pain reduced remarkably within days - after working up to the full dose - other things took longer.

No gas, smells or any of the other reactions as you report, better mood. Still, we all can react differently even to typical foods. There are many mitigating factors.

I have wondered, though, if Berberine may be a bit binding / constipating. So be sure to keep up with your magnesium. All the symptoms you report can be connected to magnesium deficiency.

FISH OIL, too, needs to be kept at a good level for all the symptoms you report.

Other Rx could be interacting. Other than NatureThroid, I take on Rx so interactions have not been on my radar.

If you happen to be taking any acetaminophen, that could be interacting. Acetaminophen BLOCKS all cells in the body from being able to use glutathione and blocks the liver from making it. That can increase pain and other toxicity reactions.

Just in case there may be some brand differences, this the brand I use: two capsules, 3x day, before meals. This brand also contain a mix of forms, and with boswellia, too.

Berberine does not last long in the body, so it's best to take about every 8 hours.

http://www.tahomadispensary.com/store/6512!23/Berberine+Advantage+120+capsules

Berberine Advantage -- Brand: True Botanica
-

[ 10-03-2013, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
GREEN TEA is also something I started at the same time, so that could be part of the help I feel and attributed mostly to Berberine. They seem to work very well together.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/32152#000000

GREEN TEA - Links Set
-

map1131
Member # 2022

I've found berberine to soften BM. It's odd how we all react so differently. But we're not all carrying the same bad guys.

Different strains, different viruses, parasites.

It's not a one thing fits all. I've got a great detox tea in frig. I'll pull it out to the countertop and add it in.

If it's not in my face, forget it. I went to Swanson site to see if they had lower mg to take through out the day? No, just 400mg.

I'll wait out with what's going on. I realize herxing, esp when your body is screaming for help, is not a good thing. I believe it's hitting on something that needs to go.

I've just not thought about the detoxing part. I had gotten complainant about detox. UTI stopped detox baths almost a year ago.

Now I know how and what to do. Rife detox freqs and some tea please.

I loved Marnie's advice. Needed a brain to understand her. You took it to layman's terms. Thanks to Marnie. With the search working, her great posts are there again.

Pam

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
You can divide the capsule. Berberine is very bitter but should not sting or irritate. I've done this as a mouth rinse. It clumps a bit in water and IS VERY bitter, yet, it will go down and just chase it with more water and some food.

You could stir a bit into any food, too. Just not the whole serving but a bite or two as it will be bitter, even in food but more tolerable. Very yellow, so be mindful to direct the powder where you want it to go.

That way, you can divide you dose, keep the other half in the capsule so you don't have to do the "bitter dance" more than once a day, eh?
-

Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

I got all stuffy and allergic feeling an hour or so after taking the berberine each day for 5 days... each time was a little worse.

And then I got extremely achy (but it coincided with the time I usually flare at the end/beginning of each month.

It is also fall allergy season here. so I may try it again in a month and see if the pattern repeats. so sad. I had so much hope for Berberine.

but alas, I had the same reaction to Curcumin. me and natural don't seem to get along. so , so , so sad.

Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

I got all stuffy and allergic feeling an hour or so after taking the berberine each day for 5 days... each time was a little worse.

And then I got extremely achy (but it coincided with the time I usually flare at the end/beginning of each month.

It is also fall allergy season here. so I may try it again in a month and see if the pattern repeats. so sad. I had so much hope for Berberine.

but alas, I had the same reaction to Curcumin. me and natural don't seem to get along. so , so , so sad.

Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kudzuslipper said, "And then I got extremely achy (but it coincided with the time I usually flare at the end/beginning of each month.)"

That sounds like a herx.

I've been taking GlycoX berberine from GoodState.
http://www.goodstate.com/Diet-Weight-Loss/b/6198013011?ie=UTF8&title=Diet+%26+Weight+Loss

Berberine seems to affect many parts of the body.
It has reduced body pain and headache.
My reflux is under control, and I no longer wake up aspirating stomach contents.

It also affects the hormone that reduces saliva and urine output when you sleep.
I no longer drool when sleeping, and I don't wake up with such a full bladder that I can't make it to the bathroom.

Edited to update the Berberine link to GoodState.com.
Also, search for GoodState brand of Berberine at Amazon.com.

They presently have Berberine HCl 400 mg with clear capsules at an excellent price, $17.00 for 120 capsules.

It looks like GoodState.com stopped offering free samples of the Glycox Berberine.

[ 11-23-2013, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: Carol in PA ]

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Andrographis, which contains berberine. The combination of Flagyl and Andrographis has given me more improvement than anything else I've tried for Lyme/Bart., and a very savvy LLMD told me this was a great combo.

Carol, thanks for sharing about berberine helping with reducing urine at night...thanks!

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

razzle, no thank you on flagyl. I've been down that road and it's was the darkest scariest road of my last 15 yrs.

It would kill alright, including putting me under with all the bad guys. Some people take flagyl and improve, others it's just tooooo toxic for.

One man's medicine can be another man's poison.

Thanks for all the berberine suggestions. I can handle herxing, just not the never ending herx daily with abx.

I need to practice what I preach. detox detox detox #1 no matter what protocol one is doing.

Pam

--------------------

Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry...I wasn't suggesting anyone else do what I was doing, just was sharing that I thought the Andrographis, as a berberine-containing herb, was good...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take a close look at how berberine effects the liver enzymes and how one of them (inhibiting) relates to D3.

http://examine.com/supplements/Berberine/

Above link...look under "Things to note" for the liver enzymes noted.

Then search for the links between the liver enzymes and D3.

2013...we're learning!

BTW...sulfate or chloride form of Berberine...for complicated reasons, I SUSPECT the chloride form is best.

Dosage/timing...all TBD!!!

I THINK it is working on several levels.

GO SLOW...and of course...run it by your doc (!) AND your pharmacist if on anything else (Rxs, supplements)...see red caution notice in link provided.

Bb looks to like, need, want ongoing inflammation.

Get inflammation down AND hit Bb.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marnie .. just ask Keebler to open her PM's for you. I'll delete my message to her.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would just like to say these are the shortest posts I've seen by Keebler and I find them much more pleasant to read.
Posts: 631 | From the south | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Berberine inmpacts (inhibits)2 enzymes which we normally think are only present in the liver...they are not.

http://examine.com/supplements/Berberine/

"enzyme * induction* can contribute to vitamin D deficiency"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22985909

Look at tissue distribution and other info. Here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CYP3A4

- yes, good old grapefruit juice (“inhibition through fruit ingestion”). BTW…oral Ketoconazole (is listed as a strong inhibitor too) = anti-fungal (Nizoral) comes with serious adverse reactions…not so if used topically.

Remember grapefruit juice diet? Humm...curious.

The other enzyme:

CYP2D6…curious that Fluoxetine (also known by the tradenames Prozac, Sarafem, Ladose and Fontex) is listed as a strong inhibitor. My sis has been on the highest level of Prozac allowed and never developed “neuro” lyme.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CYP2D6

But fairly recently, she tested very low in vitamin D.

When reading (Wikipedia links) about those enzymes...notice the gender difference. Another reason why more women are "autoimmune"?

While MS and lyme differ in many ways - initial triggers, both are "autoimmune" reactions to proteins = antigens.

And "Google": MS berberine.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ms dixie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ms dixie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depression can be caused EASILY with flagyl!!!
Posts: 153 | From Huntsville Al | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

The KIND of berberine (chloride or sulfate) and the dosage taken and the timing (6 hours apart) may make a HUGE difference.

As well as one's own "genetic" predispositions.

We also have to be VERY aware of potential interactions with other meds/supplements when taking berberine.

Do NOT try it on your own...need expert help to determine the above.

map1131
Member # 2022

Oh I ran it by my PCP. But not till after I had started it. I actually muscle tested for the 400mg dosage.

My body therapists (nun) muscle tested me for it and it was yes. When I increased to 2nd dose, again I used my angel therapist.

My PCP brought it up on his iphone as I was talking about it....he wanted to make sure it was okay with all my meds. He was really impressed with all he was seeing on it.

Everyone is different and what's been great for me....doesn't mean it would great for all. One man's medicine can be another man's poison.

My cholesterol was 282 6 mths ago and it went down to 211, along with all my numbers improving. It's on my list of supps note for cardio too.

If my numbers improve again in 6 mths I will tell my cardio my secret. He recommended Red yeast rice because I refuse statins.

RYR muscle tested poorly for me over a year ago.
After the holidays I'm adding in my 3rd berberine daily. Well, I will muscle test to make sure my body is accepting of it.

Pam

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement