LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Exercise when tired/sick(er)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Exercise when tired/sick(er)
me
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First off, sorry for posting so much recently. I have some vacation time I'm using and am trying to educate myself more and help others more.

Now, as far as exercise, I know I need to do more to build my stamina. I've been able to do some while on my vacation. The problem I have is that sometimes I'm just too sick-tired feeling. know we aren't supposed to "push" ourselves, but I also know this is integral to getting better.

I know graduated exercise is recommended, but can people share how they were able to do this consistently when they felt too tired or sick?

Thank you.

--------------------
Just sharing my experiences, opinions, and what I've read and learned. Not medical advice.

Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The exercise is to get oxygen to the tissue and to move out some of the bad stuff. It's not to build stamina. That will come as you start getting better.

The guidelines say to do an hour of strength training at whatever level you can do for an hour. I like Pilates because you use springs for resistance and can do much of the session lying down if you have stamina issues. Of course, that's if you have a private trainer .... if you go to a class they won't be able to cater to your individual needs.

You could also use a Pilates mat video or free weights for strength training.

When I felt tired, I just did less. I knew I had to do it to get better, that was my motivation. My "reward" was getting to go back to bed afterward.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the information, sixgoofykids. I also need to build stamina because I am still able to work, and I think it will make things easier on me. I've been able to get up to thirty minutes on some days. I hope I can work up to an hour soon.

--------------------
Just sharing my experiences, opinions, and what I've read and learned. Not medical advice.

Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Qigong might be a good thing to explore, too, many styles but find one geared toward restorative healing. There are some where you sit, or lie.

It may seem "tame" yet it can be incredibly powerful in a good way. Best to start with a certified instructor as it's not just going through the motions, there are some important foundations that the eye of an instructor is so valuable for when learning.

Tai Chi is similar yet requires more head turning with side "travel".
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Be sure your glucose levels and nutrients are on stable for fuel.

Be sure adrenal support is good, too.

As for the "full hour" - that just is not possible for many. Some might be able to do just five minutes, or one.

If you take a class, you can just lie down and watch and then do what you can when you can.

At home, if one minute is all you can do, do that . . . then again later . . . and on and off.

Sometimes, movement must be incorporated into chores if there is only energy enough to do one or the other. Yet getting out for even a short stroll can be very good - being with trees and sky while you let your body move through space in a comfortable way is also good.

Best to do so away from traffic exhaust and in a quiet place, if possible. Somewhere where you can sit on a bench and then get repeated shorter walks in.

Add a little bit more each day and before you know it, your endurance should react in kind.
-

[ 06-26-2016, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
While you may not express sheer exercise intolerance (though that can be hard to determine), yet, for anyone reading this who might have this full blown issue, detail - and ways to help - below.

And, for others who just find it understandably hard considering all lyme / TBD involves . . . there are some things here that might also be of help, such as adrenal supports:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/115275

Topic: post exertional malaise & Exercise Intolerance
-

me
Member # 45475

Many thanks, Keebler.

--------------------

Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think one can build stamina with exercises while fighting inflammation, infections, and detoxing the whole time.

I think it's IMPOSSIBLE, really.

During worst times of lyme, I could barely take a shower. No way to spend the last bits of energy exercising, as I was struggling to walk, talk, move.

I guess you gotta know where you are, and then do your exercises accordingly. I find that, when I can't do anything, the best thing is to ground myself. I do get some energy from it (just putting my feet on grass or laying on a thin sheet on grass).

First I'll feel tired, then energy builds up. But during infections + inflammation + toxins, I don't know if this is enough.

Another thing that changed my life during lyme was diet. I just ate what my body accepted well (energetically tested) and avoided what my body rejected. It was a difference like night and day, in terms of energy I got from food.

The bad diet took my energy away. The good diet made me feel even human again!

After lyme was gone, I discovered the violet ray. A Tesla - D'arsonval device, very inexpensive, and I use it too to feel more energetic sometimes.

It helps tremendously on detox, it opens cells walls, I think, that is why I get all that surge of energy that goes very deep.

when I got healthy again, exercises (to my own limit) made me gain stamina. When I was too ill even to move, exercises felt like death approaching.

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another idea is yogic breathing, called kriyas.

The energy is subtle, but it is deep, pretty deep. When you lack a lot of energy, you may see the difference though, after doing let's say 30 minutes of kriya.

When you are healthy, it's hard to notice, because the energy pump of breath charges you from very deep.

It will also helps to bring oxygen to cells.

There are kriyas combined with some movements, which I find also helpful.

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me
Member # 45475

Thank you so much, Keebler and Brussels. Great information and advice.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement