LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Is Chloroquine immune suppressive? Does it kill liver bugs? Anyone here used it?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is Chloroquine immune suppressive? Does it kill liver bugs? Anyone here used it?
TexasBartonella
Member # 47977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TexasBartonella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys so I believe my symptoms are from Entamoeba Histolytica and some unknown protozoan found in my blood. Im planning to start on a strong anti parasite/anti amoeba protocol soon.

I was going to ask my doc about taking Choloroquine as I have heard it is very good at killing dormant or non-dormant parasites residing in the liver [and the bloodstream]? Is this true? Does it have any action in the GI tract?

Also, is it immunosuppressive in the sense that it might be counter productive to take given my situation [low CD57, lots of bugs, etc?]

Can this drug be taken long term or not due to its very long half life? I've read that a standard dose for parasites is 250mg twice a day.

Any experiences with this drug at all? And does it need to combined with Primaquine? I've heard they are synergistic.

Thanks!

Posts: 49 | From Texas | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluelyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 47170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you speaking of hydrochlorquine (plaquinil )? It has a very long half life , it can effect eyes ...one is supposda have exam before embarking . Also rhuemys love it as it is immunesuppressive .

i also heard it can build up if your clearing /liver is not up to par . Have you considered cryptolepis, alinia and frequency medicine . I just got rid of giardia and gi issues were helped

--------------------
Blue

Posts: 1539 | From southwest | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't sure which drug you were asking about either.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TexasBartonella
Member # 47977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TexasBartonella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was referring to Choloroquine, not Plaquenil which is Hydroxychloroquine.
Posts: 49 | From Texas | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd avoid it. It's a quinolone. You can get floxed from those. Quinolones and fluoroquinolones are very dangerous drugs than can cause permanent damage to the body.

You might want to look at coartem instead.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TexasBartonella
Member # 47977

Judie, is Primaquine also a quinolone?

And I thought the anti parasitic quinine drugs had no connection to the damage that the fluoroquinolone antibiotics do.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is, Texas B. If you decide to take it, go easy. I know I took quinine for babs and I only took it for 10 days at a time, rotating it with meds for Lyme.

I kinda wish now I had not taken it. It may be responsible for some problems I have.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SickSam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a quinoline, not a quinolone. More specifically, it's an aminoquinoline.

My understanding is that quinolines do not flox you like quinolones. I think the confusion comes because the names are so very similar.

Posts: 748 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TexasBartonella
Member # 47977

Thanks Sam, that's what I thought too. Just making sure.

My understanding is that the Quinoline drugs can be taken for relatively long periods of time without toxicity concerns, as long as the daily dosages are reasonably.

Some people even take Plaquenil, with a 2 month half life, at 400-600mg per day for months on end....

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Chloroquine is an extremely ototoxic drug, even very short term and, as such, can cause untold misery & ruin lives. Ototoxicity is a major aspect to consider.

There are much safer and far less potentially life damaging ways to address Entamoeba Histolytica.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TexasBartonella
Member # 47977

Keebler, I hear u and I'd like to avoid Choloroquine and Primaquine if possible. But I am concerned about dormant liver cysts and other systemic protozoans floating around in me. Should I just trust that Alinia, Ivermectin and Flagyl should be enough for the systemic/liver bugs?
Jordana
Member # 45305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jordana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why do you think you have entamoeba histolytica? Do you have any abscesses and have you been tested for this?

I just looked it up -- tinidazole should hit it in the liver and the brain, and be easier to get if you're self-treating.

Posts: 2057 | From Florida | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TexasBartonella
Member # 47977

positive PCR test and it makes sense for a lot of my symptoms. Flagyl seems to be the preferred treatment
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Judie, is Primaquine also a quinolone?"

Yes.

My doc LIED to me and said it wasn't. Then I found medical papers confirming that it's a quinolone.

I was refloxed by it. Ankle swelled to 3X its size.

All quinolones that can cause the problems. Fluoroquinolones are just quinolones with fluoride added.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pocono Lyme
Member # 5939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pocono Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did Chloroquine and Primaquine.

I always got tendonitis from Cipro/Levaquin but didn't with these meds. I had no trouble with either.

What got me over babesia was Primaquine and Coartem.

That was after months and months of double dose Mepron, Alinia, art, malarone and another I can't think of right now but it's the dreaded one.

--------------------
2 Corinthians 12:9-11

9 But he said to me, �My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.� Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ�s power may rest on me.

Posts: 1445 | From Poconos, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pocono Lyme
Member # 5939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pocono Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot to add. From my research, Chloroquine only kills in the blood stream.

Primaquine gets the dormant liver bugs. The only other drug I'm aware of that can get the dormant ones is Tafenoquine not yet available.

--------------------

9 But he said to me, �My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.� Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ�s power may rest on me.

Posts: 1445 | From Poconos, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SickSam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judie, thanks for being persistent in saying that it is a quinolone. You caused me to dig deeper.

If you scroll down on the following link, there is a chart of these drugs that suggests that quinolines are, in fact, a subclass of quinolones:

http://www.biograph.be/concept/graph/C0033126/C0034428

So I stand corrected!

Posts: 748 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TexasBartonella
Member # 47977

Pocono, what dose of primaquine were u on daily and for how many days on/off for how long?
Pocono Lyme
Member # 5939

TexasBart - I did Primaquine for two weeks. I don't remember the dose but it was standard dose.

Then the Coartem for three days also standard dose and regimen.

--------------------

TexasBartonella
Member # 47977

Oh only 2 weeks? Is it dangerous to take daily longer than 2 weeks straight? And 2 weeks alone cured your babesia??

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement