LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » PICC line placement -- what to expect?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PICC line placement -- what to expect?
greengirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for greengirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been a ghost for a while. That's due, mostly, to treating Babs and feeling like a truck ran over me.

I'm having a PICC placed next Friday. I'm so scared. I nearly had a panic attack just reading about the procedure.

Does it hurt? What should I expect? Any strategies?

Thanks so much!

Posts: 252 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
triathletelymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for triathletelymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a picc line placed 5 weeks ago and I, too, was scared! For the first 24-48 hours, my arm was in excruciating pain...not discomfort, but PAIN!!! That has subsided, for the most part, and I barely notice the picc anymore. Occasionally, I will feel a twinge of minor pain/discomfort, but that has been rare past the first week. It's really not that bad.

The biggest annoyance that I have with the picc line is not getting it wet. I wrap it with a plastic newspaper bag and then cover it with plastic wrap anchored with rubber bands. That has worked so far, although washing my hair in the shower with only one hand is a bit of a challenge (and, I'm sure, kind of comical looking too! [Smile] ).

It was put in by a radiologist in a hospital. They wanted to put it in my right arm, since it was a more "direct" route. Since I am right handed, I asked if they could use the left arm, which they did. That was a wise move, I think.

I am pretty particular about keeping it dry, clean, etc. and the visiting nurses that come to change my dressing every week always comment about how good it looks...clean, dry, etc.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Good luck!

--------------------
? date of bite/no rash
10/09 symptoms, 4/10 diagnosed, after 6 mos. ER visits, tons of docs/tests
CDC+ 23/39/41/45/58/66/93
currently on oral plaquenil, doryx, rifampin, pyrazinamide, nystatin, numerous supplements

Posts: 718 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Florence1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Florence1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had 3 piccs, I didnt feel them going in but I had some discomfort after the procedure but ultimately it went away and it was fine....

--------------------
Oct 09 Positive CDC Western Blot
Jan 10 Positive Babesia Duncani
Jan 10 Cd57 28
Mar 10 EBV, IgM, IgG
HHV-6 IgG

Posts: 739 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your PICC is placed in a hospital as out patient you won't feel a thing.

I just had alittle discomfort after. (achy, sore arm)

I do not recommend getting it placed by some nurse.

In the hospital there was some kind of overhead scanner so the IR(Intervential Radiologist) could insure PROPER placement.

Didn't feel a thing and gabbed to whole time w/ the IR & crew about dogs.

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn in VA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Totally agree w/dmc. I'd also NOT recommend it being placed by a nurse, but must be done via live X-ray in a hospital setting.

They will first clean the area really well, inject some lidocaine as a local anesthetic, and then insert the PICC.

I was TERRIFIED beforehand and went through a lot of unnecessary anxiety. I had to have 3 separate placements in one month way back when due to issues along the way, and all placements went OK.

I'd also like to add that I would ask for stitches in which to hold the PICC in secure place once it's in there. There's some kind of thingee that goes around the end of the line near your arm and then lies flat against your arm (maybe 1/2 inch or so) with holes in it for that purpose.

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wtl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wtl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This might not apply to you...

My wife went in just two weeks ago for PICC. Two nurses came, both stated they had a lot of experience with PICC line. They kept telling my wife that it wasn't a big deal. Then they asked me to wait outside.

It turned out I was outside for two hours. The nurses came out and said they failed to put it in. They tried both arms, twice on her left and once on her right. They said the reason was not that they couldn't find her veins but that she has a lot of nerves growing in the area that prevented the line to go through (I have no idea what that means). So they suggested to have the PICC line with fluraloscopy (spell?) that a radiologist can perform, but that needs to be a different prescription from the doctor.

In the end, her doctor decided to just get a port in. Her out-of-State llmd concurs that the port is a better option.

But seriously, her both arms afterward look worse than a life time druggie. I am not kidding...

You might be lucky like others said here.

Good luck.

Posts: 822 | From midwest | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keltyl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keltyl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have had 2 piccs put in at a hosp. No pain, no problems.
Posts: 847 | From upstateNY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
greengirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for greengirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much guys. I am going to a radiology department to do this. Have any of you ever tried one of these:

http://www.mohawkmedicalmall.com/Merchant2/PROD.php?Product_Code=DRY%20PC-1x

Posts: 252 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sick of lyme-1
Member # 28839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sick of lyme-1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son has the PICC line and has had it for 6 months or so. The procedure was quick and painless for him he has never complained about it. He does have neirological symptons of lyme and does not communicate about it. But we change the dressings in the home and he never pulls away because there of pain while changing the dressing. I hope this eases your concerns.
Posts: 3 | From matawan, nj | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sick of lyme-1
Member # 28839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sick of lyme-1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I have not, I use Hefty shrink wrap. I have not had any water problems with this method. The nurse at the radiology department offered this information.
Posts: 3 | From matawan, nj | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
greengirl, the DryPro PICC covers work great. Mine lasted about a year with daily use. I purchased mine from the manufacturers website. Customer service is excellent.

I found plastic wrap too difficult to apply by myself. It is much easier to use the DryPro PICC cover.

I've also had all of my PICC lines placed by nurses in the hospital. They use ultrasound guidance to make sure that it is placed properly. I had no bruising from the procedure. No matter who places the PICC either radiologist or nurse, your arm will still be sore for a few days after the procedure.

Rest, warm compresses (20min 3x daily), and ibuprofen can help relieve the pain and inflammation.

Good luck [Smile]

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2young2dieMom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2young2dieMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The doctor had a hard time placing my picc, I have very small veins. It took about 1/2 an hour, unusual for him. It was sore and I had some bruising.

It was 3 months before I felt comfortable with the picc and it didn't hurt. My biggest challenges were the adhesive dressing and tape used over it. I found out that I was allergic to everything.

I ended up using an Opsite 3000 transparent dressing, only Betadine to clean the skin and never using any steristrips directly on my skin.

Keeping it dry in the shower is another hurdle. My arms are partially paralyzed due to ALS so its hard to cover the arm myself. I use a disposable milking glove and johnson/johnson waterproof tape to seal it at the top. Works great!

--------------------
Dxd ALS 3/2010
Dxd cllinical Lyme 4/2010
Positive for Protomyxzoa but absolutely nothing else in Igenex

Posts: 417 | From central ct | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
greengirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25316

Thank you everyone. It's taken about a week, but I'm starting to feel much more confident with the line. I had one trip to the er for an U/S b/c there was some concern about clots. I, too, had a reaction to the first type of dressing.

I'm in the worst pain, now, ever. I pray for some relief soon.

WIGGY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15377

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WIGGY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greengirl,

I'm going to order that PICC cover as wrap is

hard for me to do myself.

I hope you get some relief soon!

Posts: 128 | From MICHIGAN | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My veins are huge. The picc insertion wasnt painful atall for me. Afterwards, for a few days, it was a little uncomfortable. But it went away. All in all I had no bad experiences with it. keep it clean and wrapped.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
azdaisy
Member # 25357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for azdaisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there Greengirl! hope you are doing well.
Ive had my PICC for over a year and it was strongly suggested by two PICC nurses NOT to use the compression dressing like dry pro that could damage the line...you don't want to put another one in if you don't have too...
I use Glad press and seal and tape! works like a charm. I leave my netting on to absorb any water that gets through and its easy peasy!
I use tegaderms and providone ONLY! its been over a year and its all just fine.
for me I had chest pain the first 10 days until my heart settled into having a roomate, but its so nice for all the injections and blood draws..i'm sure you'll be glad after a while!
xoox

--------------------
AzDaisy
life requires action

Posts: 58 | From Tucson, AZ | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement