LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What does it mean when you have no reflexes?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What does it mean when you have no reflexes?
Tracy9
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw my Cancer Center doctor today, who oversees my IVIG treatment. He noted "your reflexes are absent." I literally had no knee jerk reaction. Now I know this can't be good. What does this mean? Has anyone else ever had it?

Then he ordered a bunch of bloodwork and wanted to see me back in two weeks. I don't know what he is looking for. I suspect he may think I have MS. Any thoughts? He doesn't seem encouraged by my IVIG progress though it's only been 2 1/2 months and I have seen some gains, and I'll take anything!!!!

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dad who had a terrible back injury lost his knee reflexes.
Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lack of normal reflexes certainly is one indication of nerve damage, although it may also indicate other conditions.

It seems that both Lyme and the treatment of Lyme can and does cause nerve damage. I would not think the doctor would be particularly surprised by your lack of reaction, given your disease.

I have seen some nerve damage in my wife, but she did recover once much of the Lyme and Bart was eradicated.

Hopefully you will recover also.

Dan

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IckyTicky
Member # 21466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckyTicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was dx with MS before finding out about the Lyme disease. In my case my reflexes were extremely hyper. I wouldn't think your doctor would be surprised either.. I've read on here about more people having lack of reflexes with Lyme than my hyperreflexia.

--------------------
IGM: 18+, 23+, 30+, 31+++, 34+, 39IND, 41++, 58+++, 66+, 83-93IND
IGG: 31+, 39IND, 41+
Also positive for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae and RMSF.
Whole family of 5 dx with Lyme.

Posts: 1014 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He didn't comment on it. I have pretty severe neuropathy, I have small fiber neuropathy. That is what I get the IVIG for; it is caused by Lyme and Bart. So it sounds like it might be part of that. It's just that this has never happened before. Small fiber neuropathy is a degenerative disease; I hope it isn't progressing despite IVIG therapy.

--------------------

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IckyTicky, I have hyperreflexia as well. My LLMD also used a bunch of other big neuro. words as well that I didn't understand. I believe I would have been diagnosed with MS as I had a lesion on my spine and all MS symptoms or ALS (not sure if ALS causes hyperreflexia or not, but I have a lot of weakness), if I'd gone back to the neurologist and not to my LLMD.

However, my gag reflex is absent. Hoping the reflexes can recover to a more normal state with treatment.

Posts: 618 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

So that's why my LLD makes me gag with a tongue depressor every time I see him. My gag reflex is alive and well. Sorry to hear about all that, jwall. I guess the absence of the knee jerk reflex isn't all that uncommon among Lymies. I won't worry. Hope they come back for all of us!

--------------------

jwall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, my LLMD uses a tongue depressor too and tickles the back of the throat. No gagging at all! I didn't realize that was what he was checking for...also did not realize I wasn't gagging. Figured this out later when he wrote in my notes "gag reflex absent" and thought to myself, "no, it's not!", but sure enough, it is.

When I used to brush my tongue, i would always gag. Now I can brush all the way back and not gag at all. Kinda scary and unsettling, but excellent when it comes to swallowing mepron!! that stuff is so nasty that if my gag reflex were present, there is no way I could keep it down.

Glad your gag reflex is still there! It's odd though that the rest of your reflexes are absent, but your gag reflex is fine....and my reflexes are all hyper, but I have no gag reflex!! Hmm....

Posts: 618 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IckyTicky
Member # 21466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckyTicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I still do have a gag reflex, although my LLMD (I don't think) has ever tested that one.

I gag every time I brush my tongue!

--------------------
IGM: 18+, 23+, 30+, 31+++, 34+, 39IND, 41++, 58+++, 66+, 83-93IND
IGG: 31+, 39IND, 41+
Also positive for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae and RMSF.
Whole family of 5 dx with Lyme.

Posts: 1014 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement