LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » doxycycline + minocycline + levofloxacin + rifampicin?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: doxycycline + minocycline + levofloxacin + rifampicin?
Terminator
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27328

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terminator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm gonna start to treat my long standing lyme and maybe some barts&babs. My first stack would be

doxycycline 300mg BID + minocycline 200mg BID + levofloxacin 750mg SID + rifampicin 900mg SID

for 14 weeks. Then if needed I'll do a cycle of other stuff (perhaps ceftriaxone IV + azithromycin IV or telithromycin po + bicillin-LA IM or Augmentin XR po + metronidazole po + atovaquone po). I'm buying everything myself from oversea pharmacies. Any critics/suggestions?

Note: I just read the terms of use and I think it's ok that I write the specific dosage I'm thinking to use because they are not being prescribed by an LLMD.

--------------------
We will win

Posts: 135 | From California | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terminator
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27328

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terminator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
should i take mino at the same time as doxy, or separate times? should i take mino just once a day 400mg, because its half life is much longer anyway, or is this too much for my GI tract?

--------------------
We will win

Posts: 135 | From California | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stefan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stefan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terminator that sounds like an rough journey you are planning to do.

It sounds like an overkill.

But with this combo you are definetively a Terminator. ;-)

Posts: 188 | From Germany | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow..that is powerful. Remember....slow and steady wins the race. Where is your cystbuster?

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terminator
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27328

i would rather overkill than underkill [Smile]

ill add a cyst buster in my 2nd cycle only - metronidazole or tinidazole.

--------------------
We will win

migs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for migs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why the double tetracyclines?

I think you are doing the quinolone for Lyme cell wall form, the Rifampicin for Bartonella, and the tetracyclines both for intracellular. Wouldn't they both have similar form of action on similar form of the germ?

Posts: 410 | From Victoria BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm also wondering why the mino and doxy together?? Why not take the doxy for a month, then switch to mino?

Also, why both Rifampin and Levaquin?

My LLMD had me take Levaquin until I was feeling a lot better from the bartonella, then switched me to Rifampin.

Do you have someone to test your liver enzymes while you do this?

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maradona
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maradona     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This combo is for bart killing and I think you can have better combo with meds that atack 3 forms o lyme and also coinfections if you take more than 3 antibiotics in combination. In your combo you are not attacking L-form or cyst form of borrelia nor babesia at all.Dont know your labs but LLMD treat patients positive to lyme also for coinfections with or without positive labs for coinfections.
Posts: 482 | From Nebraska | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terminator
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27328

Last week I had written a detailed answer but when I clicked on "add reply" the server had gone down and I lost the msg. In a few words why I'm taking mino with doxy is because it has like double fat solubility of doxy, so they add to each other without interfering.

6goofykids why not both levaquin and refampin at the same time? If 3 months is not enough, I can continue the rifampin in the 2nd cycle (but not levo because of the mepron)

what liver enzymes you're talking about, like AST and ALT? how often do people have to stop treatment even though they tolerate it ok, because these enzymes are really out of control ?

maradona did you see the 2nd cycle?

maradona

--------------------
We will win

Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At one point, I took mepron, levaquin, rifampin, and omnicef together. So your protocol is not undoable.

Just--as someone else advised--check your CBC/liver panel regularly to ensure liver and everything else is OK.

You can also order these blood tests online without an MD's script.

You could also consider pulsing (maybe 4 weeks on followed by a week or 2 off).

Good luck.

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terminator, my LLMD, who is very aggressive, used Levaquin for three months, then Rifampin.

--------------------

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the same idea to throw the nuclear bomb at it - shock and awe. But the abx made me really sick and then I was floxed and I couldn't take anything so you need to be careful. It wasn't even my idea. It was the LLMD but I was in total agreement.

Drugs can have some very serious side effects so you need to start them one at a time so you know how you are reacting to them.

Do you know what infections you have? Have you had any treatment before?

If you have not treated before you should probably start with 300-600mg doxy divided into two doses. This will knock you out for awhile.

Then check out combos other people are using successfully that have similar symptoms to you. Most of my treatment has come off the net and from books. I just asked my GP for it.

But in two weeks I am going to a LLMD - one of the best. It is so nice to have someone treat me that really knows what he is doing. If at all possible you should try to see one so you know you are not just guessing at your treatment and even your infections.

I would not do Levaquin and Rifampin together. You could end up in the emergency room.

Doxy and mino are in the same family so I dont know why you would consider taking them together.

I read in my babesia book that a combo for all three infections, is Bactrim DS, Mepron and a macrolide such as zithromax, biaxin, or Ketek (which is powerful against lyme).

Another recommended combo to hit all three infections is Malarone, Levaquin, Plaquenil and Doxycycline.

Please be careful and make sure you get regular tests for liver function etc. I feel for you. Totally understand your frustration and position but don't want to see you worse off than you already are.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the3030club
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21898

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the3030club     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Terminator:
i would rather overkill than underkill [Smile]

Just don't overkill yourself. Is a doctor sanctioning this? why are you asking us if you should take combo's or not?
Posts: 339 | From Outer Space | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terminator
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27328

the reason i consider taking doxy and mino together is precisely because they are in the same family - so they dont interfere with each other. Their lipid solubility is different enough that they penetrate different tissues differently.

do you have any source where i could read to be convinced that levaquin and rifampin together might either interfere with each other or simply be too toxic to be worth the risk? That is the part of my plan that I havent looked at much. At the worse I could move the rifampicin in my second cycle.

btw yes i have an llmd, but i want to accelerate things...

nefferdun, what exact stack of abx made you sick? permanently sick or temporarily? floxed you mean your tendon completely ruptured? you still cant tolerate abx or you couldnt for a while? If you cant tolerate them, i'm not sure your new LLMD will be able to do anything with you.

--------------------
We will win

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

I'm not saying you're taking too much. This is the combo I was on - mino, Levaquin, Tindamax, Malarone, Lariam, Amoxicillin/Probenecid, and Plaquenil. Also artemisia. I took Humaworm at the same time.

Knocked me on my butt for 6 weeks, then I started seeing significant improvement.

--------------------

feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. H in NY and Dr. C in Fl. are rx'ing levaquin/rifampin combo for bartonella....Dr. H may have just begun to use this combo Six. Dr. C in FL. has been using it for over a year.

FWIW.

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terminator
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27328

What is plaquenil used for? I thought it was used to raise the intracellular pH to make macrolides (except telithromycin) more effective.

6goofykids you were taking lariam for babs? you plan had for Bb a tetracycline + a cyst buster + a good penicillin, overall pretty potent. Burrascano says tetracyclines shouldnt be mixed with cyst buster like flagyl or tindamax, and IMO they don't combine well with penicillins either.

from merk.com and rxlist.com: "Tetracycline Derivatives: May diminish the therapeutic effect of Penicillins"

did you get more improvement from your abx treatment or from your treatment in Germany? In the end all that matters is that you got better (I think you did right?)

anti-parasistic herbs like humaworm are also on my to do list. Not sure if I'm better to take them now or wait till abx treatment is advanced.

feelfit you're talking about the famous Dr H in NY that is in under our skin? sounds like a good reference to me. Are you a patient of them or did they say that at the ILADS conference?

--------------------
We will win

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Yes, plaquenil is used for that, and also as an anti-malarial and anti-inflammatory.

Lariam for babs, yes.

I had ups and downs with abx treatment. That combo was good except for the Tindamax, which made me feel horrible. I wasn't fond of the amoxy either.

I got better with the German treatment. I felt better upon my return from Germany and continue to get better without the severe ups and downs I had had with abx.

I was a patient of Dr. H in NY.

--------------------

Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfed Out     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terminator,

I did a Humaworm treatment about 2 months into my ABX regimen. In case your wondering about interactions with ABX, I believe I was on Minocycline, Azithromycin and Bactrim at the time. No problems to report, but I did make sure I took it at least 2 hours away from ABX just in case.

I also did a 2 month stint on Alinia, and just finished that 2 weeks ago, while on everything I noted above, plus Rifampin.

Wolf

Posts: 829 | From MD | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terminator
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27328

2 months on alinia? i thought 3 weeks @ 1000mg BID was all it takes. Did you notice anything from it? did you order it from magicpharma.com?

--------------------
We will win

Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure what SID is but all of that together sounds toxic to me. Is that what your doctor prescribed?
Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement