LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Cordyceps, mold allergy...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cordyceps, mold allergy...
Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfed Out     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I the only one who suffers from mold allergies? I have to follow a strict mold elmination diet, or I feel like total crap.

I purchased Cordyceps today, and noticed it is extracted from mushrooms... Well, within 10 minutes I felt the hot red ears and full flushing in my face, stuffed up nose..

I'm still trying to understand how this is linked to Lyme... or is it Fungal? To me, it seems like mold and fungus are on in the same.

Posts: 829 | From MD | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bummer. i am about to start cordy and never thoght of that. i react to mold stuff...but it isn't like a full blown allergy anymore...unless it is really bad black mold in a closed in cellar or something...

i wonder if i can take the cordy

do you get sick from peanuts? vinigar? cheese?

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chaps
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chaps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may be a fungal problem giving you the enhanced symptoms.

I was taking a loading does of AHCC which is also extracted from mushrooms and is supposed to elevate T-cells. I started having some gut symptoms from that.

Burrascano's guidelines document mentions taking AHCC (I think he recommends a Pharmanex product, Reishi-Max which uses cracked-spore technology) and if I recall correctly, it might mention something about fungal problems.

--------------------
-chaps
�Listen to the bell, Borrelia. It tolls for thee!�

Posts: 631 | From A little place called, "we'll see." | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I am very allergic to mold but do fantastic with the gentle cordyceps. Cordyceps is not the same kind of mold that usually causes allergies - for me. All of the many medical mushrooms I've used over the years work very well for me, and I feel very good when I eat mushrooms. They add a nice richness to my diet (and a good protein source).

Still, no one thing works for everyone. It could be that it prompted an immune reaction rather than a mold allergy. I would also look at if there are and additives to that.

However, if it does not work for you for whatever reason, there are many other support methods. If you are taking it for the effects on the lungs, you might try CoQ10 and turmeric instead.

If you wanted cordyceps for the adrenal support, ashwagandha is a wonderful alternative.

A LLND or LL L.Ac. would be most educated in all this and could offer you best advice. You might also look over the various articles and books below for other ideas.

I would start with "The One Earth Herbal Sourcebook" to review cordyceps for clues and see the alternatives the author suggests.
------------------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/2/13964?

Topic: How to find a LL ND (naturopathic doctor), acupuncturist, etc.

Includes how to find an ILADS-educated LL ND, an Acupuncturist, a doctor of Oriental Medicine (O.M.D.), or a doctor of Ayurvedic Medicine (D.Ay.), certified herbalists or nutritionists, etc.

Includes many articles and books on complementary / integrative methods - & RIFE links.

BODY WORK links are also included.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
In wondering if cordyceps caused some sort of immune reaction, this might shed a little light on that possibility:
--------------

http://www.functionalingredientsmag.com/fimag/articleDisplay.asp?strArticleId=553&strSite=FFNSite

How nutrients and neurology influence a body�s defences

Anthony Almada, Todd Runestad, Georges Halpern, MD, PhD - September 2004

�� Medicinal mushrooms also contain terpenoids with anti-infectious properties. ��

Bioxanthracenes from Cordyceps pseudomilitaris BCC 1620 demonstrated anti-malarial activity.37

Lentinula edodes (shiitake) fights oral bacteria vs caries; mycelium-free culture fluid was bacteriostatic vs Streptococcus pyogenes, Staphylococcus aureus and Bacillus megaterium; and the active substance is heat-stable with MW ~1000, probably Lenthionine (S).38

===============================

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

medical mushrooms � 343 abstracts

cordyceps � 543 abstracts

cordyceps, allergy � 11 abstracts

(Some abstracts show that cordyceps helped ashthma or an allergy. One abstract speaks to a case of allergy from cordyceps but that article was not open for public reading.)

So, then to try to find that elsewhere, I copy and paste the title to Google. I tired a few links from that search but have to stop now. If you want to search further for that text, here's the title:

Five cases of food allergy to vegetable worm (Cordyceps sinensis) showing cross-reactivity with silkworm

In the publication: Allergy - Volume 65, Issue 9, pages 1196�1197, September 2010

===================

You might find out more about your reaction by a search at Google for: cordyceps, allergy

Also consider how the cordyceps was grown. Was it organic? Any chemicals used in processing?
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfed Out     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
chaps,

Were your gut symptoms fungal related? How did you find out?

And, I searched Dr. B's Guidelines for AHCC, but nothing came up. Can you tell me what that acronym stands for?

Posts: 829 | From MD | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

Keebler,

Thanks for the information, and I'm really not sure but it's very frustrating.

I've figured out that my illness is multi-faceted. Lyme, Bartonella, Babesia, Mold intolerance (food related), opiote-induced hypothyroidism, and possibly fungal.

The symptoms I had brought me back to 7 months ago when I was sleeping on my stomach because the pressure in the chest and throat makes it hard to breathe.

I can't risk going back that far right now. That was the most uncomfortable I've ever been in my life. It's not the same as air hunger, it's like inflammation pushing the chest walls into the lungs and throat. :[

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering what AHCC was also.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have mold and yeast allergies and cannot take Cordy. My ears became bright red within minutes of taking it and got a headache and congested.
Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
It's interesting to read that desertwind had the same bright red ear reaction.

To be clear, just because I can take cordyceps (although I am allergic to mold), I did not mean to suggest that anyone with a reaction to it force another try. I was just trying to help determine if there may be other things in the brand tried or the way it was grown.

If a blend is tried, with other ingredients to balance, it would be best to try 1/4 of a capsule first. but there are other adrenal support options that are free of cordyceps. Ashwaghanda is a excellent. Not a mushroom.

A different lung support would be CoQ10 or Quercetin. Neither are mushrooms.
-

chaps
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chaps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AHCC is an acronym for Active Hexose Correlated Compound which is a reishi mushroom extract.

You're right Burrascano does not make mention of it generically. He does promote the "Reishi-Max" product which is made by Pharmanex.

I spoke to Pharmanex about this product. They claim that it's the only AHCC that uses "cracked spore" technology, which yields more absorption. I never tried the stuff. It's super expensive and I'm always skeptical about the super expensive products with the fancy marketing and sales techniques, and their memberships.

All AHCC products are supposed to elevate T-Cells.

Anyway, I re-read the Burrascano paragraph about Reishi-Max and it doesn't mention fungal problems.

I don't know for sure whether or not AHCC exacerbates fungal problems. It might have been just a coicidence that my gut problems were seemingly worse when I took the stuff. The brand that I took was from "Pure Prescriptions."

--------------------
-chaps
�Listen to the bell, Borrelia. It tolls for thee!�

Posts: 631 | From A little place called, "we'll see." | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nanaaaaa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nanaaaaa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
always reading that burrascano recommends reishi for lyme disease to increase the cd57.
wanna try it.
wondering about the dosage...can anyone help?

Posts: 140 | From Germany | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement