LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Need to find effective sleep aid

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need to find effective sleep aid
Helprin56
Member # 27076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Helprin56     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've recently been diagnosed with chronic lyme and have been having severe insomnia for the passed couple of months.

My LLMD had me try benadryl, valerian, melatonin, ambien, and trazedone but none were very effective.

Can anyone recommend a sleep aid that will really work?

Thanks.

Posts: 23 | From PA | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Queenie Pie
Member # 6306

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Queenie Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the same Problem. I spent a year and a half with no sleep until my doctor & I found a combo of meds that worked....give the following a try.....

Nortriptyline & Gabapentin
or
Carbatrol + Temazepam + Nortriptyline

Good Luck!

Posts: 59 | From NH, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried various combos, all you tried.

What finally worked was combining Lunesta and Lyrica, neither alone would work, but both together would. My LLMD has found that Lyrica helps you reach deep sleep.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peter j
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11825

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peter j     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is no quick fix, but it sure helped me:
If you feel somewhat tired but once you go to bed you're wide awake, then I'd try to sleep in on a new place. Change beds, or try the couch.

It helped me.

Posts: 275 | From Home | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nothing has helped me.

i've tried diphahydramine but it gives me really bad irregular heartbeats. and besides raises my bp bad too.

i've gone days er nights with no sleep at all.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Remember to Smile
Unregistered

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by peter j:
If you feel somewhat tired but once you go to bed you're wide awake, then I'd try to sleep in on a new place.

Change beds, or try the couch.

It helped me.

BRAVO, peter j! That works for me!

I find it best to read a bit of a pleasant (but not thrilling) book in somewhat dim light where i can doze off right there, be it couch, loveseat, or on the guest bed. Have a beloved pillow and cozy blankie there so you'll be comfortable.

Interestingly, many members have issues with electrical supply and water pipes impacting how they feel and sleep.

My couch and loveseat are in corners of the house furthest from electrical panels and water/sewer pipes. Unfortunately, master bedroom isn't...

Another idea:
A dear member suggested incline bed therapy and I LOVE IT! Easy & cheap to add a few blocks under the feet of your bed.

My LLRN says overall, these LD sleep disturbances need to be managed by re-training and substituting better habits. Esp turn off all electronics (computer, tv, cell phones) at dusk. Reprogram yourself to live in the daylight and don't allow exposure to artificial light stimulation in the night.

Best wishes,
Smile

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeniseNM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeniseNM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lunesta works well for me.

--------------------
dx: MS in 1998
2007 - Lyme suspected
2009 - Positive Lyme, MS worse. Now: Copaxone shots for MS
gall bladder out 7/09
Ceftin, Zith, Septra
LDN
Acyclovir
Monolaurin, DHEA, Pregnonelon, Curcumin

Posts: 243 | From New Mexico | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How much trazodone??

I take traz, ambien and melatonin. Be sure to get the time released melatonin. I like Source Naturals brand.

Are you possibly gluten intolerant?? I read recently that even after celiac patients get off gluten, they still have insomnia.

All this time I blamed Lyme for the insomnia, but reading that made me realize it could be from other causes.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peter j
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11825

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peter j     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Working out help (if you're able to). A jog.

Melatonin should be used regularly before it helps (if it helps). I am on melatonin now. 2 mg time release. I am not sure how much good it does. But anyway, take it an hour before sleep, and take it regularly for some time (perhaps a month) until it works like it should.

If it isn't completely dark where you sleep, then I'd make it. Just the smallest light can affect sleep mechanisms negativly (even though it doesn't feel that way).

I can't sleep as it is, but with these advices it works a little better. I am on ambien now, regularly. I take 5 mg and crush it withmy teeth and swallow. It helps to give it quick absorption which in turn makes it act stronger (the max level rises) and faster.

Posts: 275 | From Home | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
As many sleep and pain meds are toxic and hard on the liver and kidneys, here are some suggestions for sleep support that can safely nourish & calm the body:
---------------------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP - Links to articles & supplements
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helprin56
Member # 27076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Helprin56     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
How much trazodone??

I take traz, ambien and melatonin. Be sure to get the time released melatonin. I like Source Naturals brand.

Are you possibly gluten intolerant?? I read recently that even after celiac patients get off gluten, they still have insomnia.

All this time I blamed Lyme for the insomnia, but reading that made me realize it could be from other causes.

Posts: 23 | From PA | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsgotlyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter's LLMD just put her on 5-HTP to try and help with sleep issues. The jury is still out as to whether it's going to help or not.

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
5-HTP is basically the same as trazodone.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
searching4truth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for searching4truth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD started me on melatonin, more specifically "Melazandra" which has a few more things than the melatonin alone. I take 3 caps in the late evening (5mg melatonin per cap). It works wonderfully. Before this, I could not fall asleep before 2am, and even then, would often wake up throughout the night. Now I fall asleep right away, but do not feel "drugged". I also wake up feeling rested, and do not feel like I have a hangover from sleeping pills. Very mellow, but very effective for me.
Posts: 427 | From Pacific Northwest | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
july
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10469

Icon 1 posted      Profile for july     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lavender oil works for me. I get it at bath and body works. It helps me get to sleep, my problem is staying asleep (constant pain keeps me up all night)
Posts: 111 | From northeast Iowa | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
missing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
15 mg of zopiclone , plus oxycontin, plus indicin, plus 100 mg amytriptaline,

or 10 mg of zopiclone, and if I wake up in the middle of the night in pain and unable to go back to sleep,

then I take another 5 mg of zopiclone and 2 more oxycontin,

I sleep great now,

It could work if someone is desperate for a nap , and desperate for a break from the pain during the day,

2.5 - 5mg of zopcilone, and 2 oxycontin,

or 1 oxycontin and 2 percocets.

I believe getting a lot of sleep will help a person heal faster.

[sleepy] [sleepy] [sleepy] [sleepy] [sleepy]

--------------------
I am not a doctor. I have no clue.

Posts: 606 | From somewhere out there | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1-2-3 mg Ativan (depending on individual). Works very well, but I need to find something else since it's been over 6 years of using it daily.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back when I was still sleeping at night, I found that Source Naturals NightRest helped tremendously.

http://www.iherb.com/Source-Naturals-NightRest-with-Melatonin-100-Tablets/1358?at=0

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FYRECRACKER
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FYRECRACKER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLND just recommended "Phosphatydal serine" 100-200 mg at bed time. She said it either works or doesn't and that you would know shortly after starting. I am waiting for mine to arrive at my health food store to try it.

I noticed it's harder to sleep on days that I exercise. Not sure what the relation is.

Also, deep deep breathing sometimes helps me. Not all the time, but sometimes. I mostly only have troubles falling asleep and rarely wake up and stay up.

--------------------
www.mylymechronicle.wordpress.com

Posts: 885 | From US | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J and L Dad
Member # 29101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J and L Dad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lunexor ( herbal sleep aid ) works for me. Tried every Pharm sleeping pill, none worked. Was only sleeping 2-3 hours broken. now get 6-7 & less broken as well. recently added 5 htp, because even Lunexor could not get rid of anxiety attacks once awakened & it has made them less severe & it is now easier to fall back to sleep once awakened
Posts: 5 | From N.Y | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beachinit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beachinit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Licorice and Ashwagandha tea up to 1 hr before bed, followed by 50 mg benadryl at lights out. Also extra sodium and magnesium to prevent nocturia and fasciculations in that order. This works well for me.

--------------------
Ideas not advice.

Posts: 448 | From Downeast Maine | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr al
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lunesta for me as well.

Doesn't make you sleepy or anything. Just helps you fall asleep.

Posts: 105 | From east | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement