LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Topical Steroids (Att: Keebler)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Topical Steroids (Att: Keebler)
Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfed Out     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the general consensus, which I agree with, that corticosteroids are detrimental to those of us with immunodeficiency. I've used prednisolone and nasal steroid sprays, and have no doubt this affected me adversely because of Lyme Disease.

I had a doctor's appointment today with my dermatologist to discuss my hair loss, and I explained to him how corticosteroids regrew my hair. We discussed the inflammation process causing hair loss and Areata Alopecia.

Discussing treatment options he suggested Luxiq -- a moose-like cream that contains steroids to be applied to the scalp, and can help reduce the inflammation and potentially regrow my hair.

Now, I'm certainly hesistant to use this cream because of the affects from oral and nasal steroids, but he suggests topical steroids won't affect me systemically. He did suggest I speak to my LLMD about, but like most of you, he's not that easily available.

I really want to give this a shot. Has anyone else used topical steroid creams for scalp or skin while having Lyme Disease. Is this a bad idea?

Posts: 829 | From MD | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfed Out     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up.
Posts: 829 | From MD | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd ask your LLMD. I do know how hard it is to get questions answered in between visits. This would be a quick one, if he/she is willing to answer it.

Make sure that you are dealing adequately with your thyroid issues and adrenal, too. (I know you were posting about that). That is a MAJOR cause of hair loss).

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

Rumigirl,

You know, I had a good conversation with a doctor online last night. I was really surprised to hear that Prednisolone can TEMPORARILY fix adrenal or thyroid fatigue and the resulting hair loss from the condition.

That opened a new can of worms, because I thought Prednisolone only masked the infections symptoms (i.e. hair loss from bacterial infections).

So, if that's the case, you're definitely right. And, I bought some d-ribose and I'm waiting for it in the mail.

Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

People might be wondering why I'm comparing corticosteroids (Prednisolone) and Lyme so much.

It's because corticosteroids masked ALL of my symptoms, and I felt like a million dollars + 10 more bucks.

So, my goal is to fix everything Prednisolone did, without using Prednisolone [Wink]

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Topical corticosteroid creams are to be avoided. They will be absorbed into the body - within minutes.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://www.lymenet.de/literatur/steroids.htm

Antibiotics and Steroids

From: Lyme Disease 1991: Patient/Physician Perspectives from the U.S. and Canada - Lora Mermin, editor

by John Drulle, M.D.

Excerpts:

. . . "Steroid Disaster" is a term coined by the pioneer of Lyme Treatment, Dr. Burrascano (see link at bottom of page).

Corticosteroids are immune suppressants, the last thing a Lyme patient needs is to lower immunity.

Can you imagine, your body trying hard to fight off the spirochete bacteria and suddenly and immunosuppressants is introduced, "freezing" your immune system, rendering it unable to battle, giving great advantage now to the Lyme bacteria to spread and go wherever it wants .

Corticosteroids can last in the body for months, usually around 6 months. In many bacterial infections such as LD, damage can be done.

Many Lyme patients (such as myself) triggered LD with cortisone shots, pills, inhalers, etc. I can tell you, it is a nightmare I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

It is imperative to NEVER take corticosteroid for pain if you know you have a bacterial infection.

Some bacterial infections are so severe that a shot of cortisone could kill you, although that would be unlikely with Lyme, but rule of thumb, bacterial infections and immunosuppressants do not mix! . . .

. . . Dr. Burrascano makes it clear in his treatment guidelines that steroid treatment is detrimental, these are excerpts from his guidelines:

"More evidence has accumulated indicating the severe detrimental effects of the concurrent use of immunosuppressants including steroids in the patient with active B. burgdorferi infection.

Never give steroids or any other immunosuppressant to any patient who may even remotely be suffering from Lyme, or serious, permanent damage may result, especially if given for anything greater than a short course.

If immunosuppressive therapy is absolutely necessary, then potent antibiotic treatment should begin at least 48 hours prior to the immunosuppressants.

The severity of the clinical illness is directly proportional to the spirochete load, the duration of infection, and the presence of co-infections. These factors also are proportional to the intensity and duration of treatment needed for recovery.

More severe illness also results from other causes of weakened defenses, such as from severe stress, immunosuppressants medications, and severe intercurrent illnesses.

This is why steroids and other immunosuppressants medications are absolutely contraindicated in Lyme. This also includes intra-articular steroids."

An easy explanation. Your immune system are the "soldiers" of your body constantly standing by to attack any foreign invader.

When an immunosuppressant is used, it is like killing off or knocking out most of your "soldiers", now your body is open to all foreign invasion and while your immune system is knocked out, those invaders can go anywhere, your heart, liver, brain - everywhere.

PLEASE NEVER EVER USE STEROIDS WITH LYME!

============================

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Dr. Burrascano'sTreatment Guidelines (2008)

P. 4:

. . . More severe illness also results from other causes of weakened defenses, such as from severe stress, immunosuppressant medications, and severe intercurrent illnesses.

This is why steroids and other immunosuppressive medications are absolutely contraindicated in Lyme. This also includes intraarticular steroids. . . .

From page 12:

. . . More evidence has accumulated indicating the severe detrimental effects of the concurrent use of immunosuppressants including steroids in the patient with active B. burgdorferi infection.

Never give steroids or any other immunosuppressant to any patient who may even remotely be suffering from Lyme, or serious, permanent damage may result, especially if given for anything greater than a short course.

If immunosuppressive therapy is absolutely necessary, then potent antibiotic treatment should begin at least 48 hours prior to the immunosuppressants. . . .

Page 20:

. . . and absolutely no immunosuppressants, even local doses of steroids (intra-articular injections, for example).
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
You say in another thread that you are a " 27 years old, male and do not have a family history of hereditary baldness."

Family history can be a funny thing. Traits can skip several generations. Still, I know this is a very important issue to you but since two of my brothers were bald by the time they were 22 (and with no apparent family history of such), it just seems natural to me that some men have more hair than others.

Still, of course, talk to your LLMD about this and, if it's a symptom of poor health connected with lyme or the resultant endocrine dysfunction or for some other reason, the LLMD is the best person to guide you.

I know you are looking for relief but there is no easy way out. Treating infection(s) while supporting the body with key nutrients and self-care is the best plan. Steroids are not the answer you seek but can spell disaster many times over (yes, even if "just" a cream).

Now, you might want to see a LL ND as there are some specific herbal supplements - along with acupuncture - that can be helpful for hair growth. A LL ND would also be able to consider all the possible causes and design an individualized course of treatment.

However, there just may be no problem. It could be hereditary. Now it may or may not be but it would not be the worst thing in the world were you have have drawn that genetic wild card.

But, if there is a reason, your LLMD or a LL ND would be the best experts to consult as any other kind of doctor who is not lyme literate is likely to cause you harm.

=================================

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/2/13964?

Topic: How to find an ILADS-educated LL ND (naturopathic doctor), L.Ac. (acupuncturist), etc.

Includes how to find an ILADS-educated LL ND, an Acupuncturist, a doctor of Oriental Medicine (O.M.D.), or a doctor of Ayurvedic Medicine (D.Ay.), certified herbalists or nutritionists, etc.

Referrals? This author (a Lyme Literate licensed nutritionist and a clinical herbalist) is in your area, You may find some suggestions through her office: http://www.dancingviolets.com/

================================

www.itmonline.org/arts/alopecia.htm

Treatment of Alopecia with Chinese Herbs - by S Dharmananda -

Excerpts:

Alopecia may arise from numerous causes, including stress reactions, hypothyroidism, exposure of the hair follicles to topically-applied chemicals,. . .

�� Alopecia is mostly caused by DEFICIENCY OF LIVER and KIDNEY with subsequent failure of [blood to go up and nourish] the hair ��
-

[ 11-16-2010, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.drugwatch.com/luxiq/

Luxiq belongs to a class of drugs known as topical corticosteroids. . . .

. . . Other Warnings

Luxiq, like other corticosteroid medications, can cause complications due to adrenal insufficiency after the medication is discontinued.

The use of corticosteroid medications may reduce the body's natural ability to produce the hormones, resulting in a corticosteroid deficiency that may not be immediately recoverable when the medication is no longer in use. . . .

--------------------

http://www.drugwatch.com/luxiq/side-effects.php

Luxiq Side Effects

The most common side effects of Luxiq include:

Burning

Itching

Stinging

Less common side effects include:

Numbness, tingling or prickling

Acne

Hair loss

Conjunctivitis [swelling (inflammation) or infection of the
membrane lining the eyelids (conjunctiva)]

Topical corticosteroids have caused other side effects in some cases. These include:

Irritation

Dryness

Inflammation of hair follicles

Loss of skin coloration

Allergic reaction

Secondary infection

Skin atrophy

Abnormal lines on the skin

Sweat rash

Luxiq may cause other side effects that are not listed above.

Patients should contact their doctor or seek immediate medical attention if they experience any severe or worrisome side effects while using the medication.

� Things to Know, Precautions, Things to Ask Your Physician:

Tell your doctor if you have a history of the following before beginning treatment with Luxiq:

Diabetes

Cushing's syndrome

Blood circulation problems

Immune system disorders

Allergy to formaldehyde or any other substances

Women should also tell their doctor if they are nursing, pregnant or may become pregnant, as Luxiq may cause harm to a developing fetus or breast-fed child.

Patients should contact their doctor if their symptoms do not improve within two weeks of using Luxiq.

� What to Avoid When Taking the Drug:

Patients should avoid open flames, fires and smoking immediately after applying Luxiq, as the medication is flammable.

Patients should never pierce or burn the Luxiq medication can.

Patients should not bandage the affected area of skin after using Luxiq, unless otherwise instructed by their physician.

Patients should make sure Luxiq does not come into contact with the eyes. If contact occurs, patients should wash their eyes out thoroughly with cold water.

Patients should not use Luxiq to treat any other skin condition than the problem for which it was prescribed.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
KILLER SHAMPOO ?

I assume, by now, your dermatologist told you to stop all shampoos that contain sodium lauryl sulfate and like chemicals that can cause hair loss.

It's best to find a shampoo that is also free of all petroleum products and other harsh chemicals.

For a start: here are just two good lines that are "SLS Free" (No Sodium Lauryl Sulfate or Laureth Sulfate) - and free of all petroleum products.
---------------

http://www.vitacost.com/productResults.aspx?ss=1&Ntk=products&x=0&y=0&Ntt=Avalon%20organics

Avalon Organics

==============================

http://www.aubrey-organics.com/ProductInfo/094.aspx

Aubrey Organics � Rosa Mosqueta� Nourishing Shampoo
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2010/toxic.america/?hpt=tv/index.html

Toxic America � CNN Special Report

=============================

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/10/26/senate.toxic.america.hearing/index.html?hpt=T2

Everyday chemicals may be harming kids, panel told

By the CNN Wire Staff - October 26, 2010

www.rachelsfriends.org

RACHEL'S FRIENDS

. . . In an attempt to preserve our environment, Rachel's Friends does not accept financial support from pharmaceutical, chemical or petroleum companies or . . .

------

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/

RACHEL'S FRIENDS � Household Products Database �

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/

COSMETIC SAFETY DATABASE by Environmental Working Group

======================

http://www.goodguide.com/

GOOD GUIDE

Find Safe, Healthy, and Green Products

===============================

http://www.healthystuff.org/

HEALTHY STUFF

Researching toxic chemicals in everyday products
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
This was just inserted to a set way above but, to be sure you see it, I'll put it here for a little while. I suspect the liver stress from lyme has a role in hair loss. Be sure your liver support is tip-top and your exposure to chemicals is as low as possible.
--------------

www.itmonline.org/arts/alopecia.htm

Treatment of Alopecia with Chinese Herbs - by S Dharmananda -

Excerpts:

Alopecia may arise from numerous causes, including stress reactions, hypothyroidism, exposure of the hair follicles to topically-applied chemicals,. . .

�� Alopecia is mostly caused by DEFICIENCY OF LIVER and KIDNEY with subsequent failure of [blood to go up and nourish] the hair ��
-

maryc
Member # 4904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maryc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfed Out:
It's the general consensus, which I agree with, that corticosteroids are detrimental to those of us with immunodeficiency. I've used prednisolone and nasal steroid sprays, and have no doubt this affected me adversely because of Lyme Disease.

I had a doctor's appointment today with my dermatologist to discuss my hair loss, and I explained to him how corticosteroids regrew my hair. We discussed the inflammation process causing hair loss and Areata Alopecia.

Discussing treatment options he suggested Luxiq -- a moose-like cream that contains steroids to be applied to the scalp, and can help reduce the inflammation and potentially regrow my hair.

Now, I'm certainly hesistant to use this cream because of the affects from oral and nasal steroids, but he suggests topical steroids won't affect me systemically. He did suggest I speak to my LLMD about, but like most of you, he's not that easily available.

I really want to give this a shot. Has anyone else used topical steroid creams for scalp or skin while having Lyme Disease. Is this a bad idea?

Hi I have psoriasis on my scalp. Haven’t had an episode for a while. Receiving Botox along w other meds.
The dermatologist gave me a cream to put on my head. After 3 days I had a massive attack When I read ingredients I realized med had “analog of prednisone “””. I stopped immediately. So please check what they give you. I have hair loss also.

Posts: 61 | From Pembroke Pines, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is actually a very low potency steroid in topical form.

I read all of the clinical pharmacology & case studies from their website.

You are not likely to have any kind of problem if you apply sparingly (barely enough to cover the hair area). Directions say apply twice daily but you could start with once daily & see if you get enough benefit.

Just avoid wearing any kind of head covering whatsoever. This would cause you to absorb more than you should. And this is why people experienced side effects.

I have a very severe form of CVID & mastocytosis. I've had to use high dose topical steroid creams off & on, for several months, several times a year. And I've needed high rescue shots.

I needed those steroids. I can't imagine what would have happened to me if I hadn't taken them. Yikes!

I didn't have any kind of negative outcome from any of the short term treatments.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement