LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » babesia question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: babesia question
triathletelymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for triathletelymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone!

I haven't started any posts for the last few months. I have changed LLMDs, gone on IV and have seen little to no improvement. My brain is getting worse by the day.

I do have a question for you all though...

I did the extensive babesia testing through IGenex. My results were all negative. Has anyone had negative test results, treated babs and improved?

I am very discouraged and finding it difficult to continue on.

Thanks!

--------------------
? date of bite/no rash
10/09 symptoms, 4/10 diagnosed, after 6 mos. ER visits, tons of docs/tests
CDC+ 23/39/41/45/58/66/93
currently on oral plaquenil, doryx, rifampin, pyrazinamide, nystatin, numerous supplements

Posts: 718 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I very clearly had babesia but tested negative for it on all tests. Not all strains are tested for.

Cognitive symptoms can also be bartonella.

Also, have you treated parasites?

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
triathletelymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for triathletelymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No...'never treated parasites. Neither one of my LLMDs has mentioned it...

I have only treated lyme the entire 7 months on meds...except for one lone month of rifampin for bart.

--------------------
? date of bite/no rash
currently on oral plaquenil, doryx, rifampin, pyrazinamide, nystatin, numerous supplements

Posts: 718 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maradona
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maradona     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tested negative for babesia and bartonella on western blot and Fish test by IGENEX.

Azithromycin and malarone helped me the most in my treatment.

Lyme opens the dor for germs in our body hell knows who plays the major rol after that in us to be so sick .

Posts: 482 | From Nebraska | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tested negative. Had big improvements with brain problems with Babesia meds. Unfortunately, symptoms returned when I stopped the meds.
Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you been on the IV for about a month now?

If so, perhaps you are herxing and that is why you are feeling worse and discouraged or depressed.

It is always good to look at the calendar and make the 28 day calculation when you begin to feel worse.

Let us know, OK?

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
triathletelymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26456

I was on 5 months of orals with no improvement. I have been on IV for two months now. I have never really herxed and am keeping a symptom log. No rhyme or reason to it...mostly just bad brain days, major twitching, heart palps and other stuff.

I have only really treated the lyme, with only a lone month of oral rifampin about 4 months ago. Perhaps co-infections are my problem...

--------------------
? date of bite/no rash

ktkdommer
Member # 29020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ktkdommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The three of are treating babesia with artemesia 10 days a month. It makes us really herx so we must have it. We too were negative through IGeneX for babesia but our doctor did the EOS lab test which is eosinophilic cation protein. All of us are elevated which he says is an indicator of babesia. Can't remember why though.
I know of a friend whose son went up on the dosage of rocephin. Is this a possibility?
Wishing you well!

--------------------
Things are never dull. After 3 fighting Lyme, 2 are in remission. Youngest is still sick, age 22. He has new diagnosed Chiari Malformation and Ehlers Danlos Syndrome.

Posts: 1366 | From Perrysburg, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nybasketball212
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nybasketball212     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are literally in the same exact boat Tri. I believe we both need babesia treatment, I'm hoping to start some soon.
Posts: 306 | From NY | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
triathletelymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26456

Up

--------------------
? date of bite/no rash

BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tested negative through Igenex, but positive through Fry Labs. It took a year of meds to clear, and now I'm having a relapse. All my cognitive symptoms disappeared during Babs treatment. They have not returned, and my current relapse is mild.

My husband tested negative through both Igenex and Fry, but has obvious symptoms. He herxes on Babs meds.

The odds of having just Lyme are incredibly remote. The three Bs (Borrelia, Bartonella, Babesia) travel together.

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blinkie
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
boxermon-what did you take that cleared your babs originally? Have you tried lariam or riamet?
Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on various Mepron combinations for a full year. I never took Lariam or Riamet.

Mostly Mepron, Malarone, Bactrim DS, Zith, Plaquenil, Alinia (not all at once!). Artemisinin. Lots of Mino for Lyme and rounds of Tindamax and Flagyl for cysts.

At one year, my symptoms changed completely. That's how we knew Babs was done. I then treated Lyme and Bart for 18 months.

My current Babs relapse is very mild, just a few symptoms for a few days each week. But I want to get on top of it!

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey there,

i got sick in 7/2008... after 6 mos of searching whats goin on, i figured out that i have lyme... since april 2009 im in constant abx treatment.. combinations.

since ~2months im on mepron+biaxin+arte+pulsed flagyl.. i herxed for 1 full month! never herxed so long.

well.. i improved on borrelia treatment.. but not as much as i hoped.. so i startet to treat bartonella with combos like: levaquin+bactrim ds+mino+flagyl... for 6-7 months. after that i felt better, but my brain still didnt work like it should.

i thought my brain problems are caused due bartonella or BLO.. but like i said.. i dont improved that much on barts meds (test pos)...

5 weeks ago i had to take a break from mepron... on day 3 ABxFREE.. i felt so good like i never felt in 2 years beeing sick.

babs treatment is really moving something, especially in my head. the biaxin and mepron is hard to tolerate.. but i think its worth it. look @boxer mom etc... they got rid off their brain stuff with babs treatment.. i think it will work for me too because i already had 14-15 months ABX for borrelia and bartonella/blo

greetz

ps: im glad to read your post BoxerMom... im hoping that i get rid off my brain stuff too with babs treatment

Posts: 371 | From velocity of light | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the3030club
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21898

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the3030club     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you don't have it.
Posts: 339 | From Outer Space | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThatColorGreen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThatColorGreen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey triath,

it took me 4 or 5 months on the picc line until i noticed a difference... esp if you've had lyme & friends for a while, it might take a little time....

i was skeptical, but after that 4th or 5th month, i noticed something happening... give it some more time before you throw your hands up.

. i know it doesnt make the situation any less frustrating... i hope it gives you a little hope at least.....

--------------------
...trying to be the coffee bean, not the egg.

Posts: 420 | From East Coast | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
t9im
Member # 25489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for t9im   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For lyme my daughter's brain didn't start to improve (we have a long way to go) until about 8 weeks into the tindamax.

For babesia, she was / is negative and her babs symptoms also started to improve after about 8 weeks (treated babs for 4 months before we started the tindamax for lyme).

Both times she became worse b/4 we started to see some improvements.

Good luck and don't give up. A negative babs test is common.

--------------------
Tim

Posts: 1111 | From Glastonbury, CT | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement