LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Licorice root users & Adrenal supporters

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Licorice root users & Adrenal supporters
Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfed Out     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can we share some experiences with Licorice root? I purchased Alvita Licorice Root tea bags from my local vitamin shop this evening, and drank my first cup of tea.

Within an hour or so, I started to notice a dull headache on the left side of my temple. This was a suggested possibility after reading some side effects for those who have moderate to severe adrenal fatigue issues.

Lethargy followed -- might be hard to notice, but I'm a little of kilter tonight. The most surprising and scary symptom was my visual trails became exaggerated.

I've had visual trails and static vision for almost a year now. Weekly, I can verify an improvement, but 52 weeks in and it's not completely healed. At this rate, I was hoping for a clean resolution by Christmas.

I also started having a sort of anxiety. I couldn't sit still, and paranoid almost. Mixed with the visual symptoms, it was pretty uneasy.

I took my self out for a mild exercise, and let things pass over the course of an hour. The visual trails reduced back its normal level of crap, and my headache mostly resolved.

My body temperature was a little higher than usual for about an hour (4 hours after my dose). I was kicking around 98.8-99.0. My body temperature usually never goes higher than 98.3 on a good night.

So, I used this herb for adrenal issues. But, with all the side effects I experienced, including the headache with my exaggerated vein popping out of my forehead, I will either reduce the dose in half, or wait several days before trying this again.

I'm thinking I may try Ashwagandha next. Supposedly, the side effects are not as intense.

Posts: 829 | From MD | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Yes, I think Ashwagandha would be better for you.

For years, I could not drink even licorice tea. It was just too strong. I would feel very "wired" and my startle reaction got worse.

Ashwagandha was wonderful for me, though. There are many other choices for adrenal support - discussed in the thread below.

I suggest getting single herbs so that you can try them individually. Then, you might try a blended formula. If you ever feel too agitated, slow down. It's best to start with a low dose and gradually work up to the recommended amount. But your body will determine that.

Regular ginsengs and Rhodiola can be too stimulating so I would avoid those unless later on, in small amounts of a formula.

Siberian Ginseng (Eleuthero) is not really a Ginseng and, therefore, not as stimulating as true ginsengs. You may do well to add Eleuthero to Ashwagandha after you get established with that.
------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP - Links to articles & supplements - included ADRENAL SUPPORT links
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Licorice also raises blood pressure for some people who need it. It does all sorts of things - so research it more before you turn to one single herb as a remedy. Muscle testing would tell you right away if it is for you now, later at some other time, or not at all.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I never knew licorice tea was so strong! My family loves Yogi licorice tea because of its good flavor. We all drink it all winter .... I have to buy three boxes at a time. We drank it long before I ever heard it was good for the adrenals.

Interestingly, I used to have low blood pressure.

There are some good books out there on adrenal fatigue. In the end, it was getting rid of the infection that helped me, but I did follow the suggestions in the books I've read.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deerose
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deerose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have only had licorice is a part of an herbal blend tincture.
For adrenal support.

No unwelcome effects so far---8 weeks
I am glad to know this though.

I did notice the stimulating effect at first...kind of like a bit of caffeine overlaying a tired underlayer

and now that I read this realize there was a startle response but it has not persisted

I was advised to make sure to take the daily regimen before mid afternoon to avoid evening stimulation

Also I understand the liver cycle runs 3pm to 3am

also that if one eats larger meals before then and lighter after it helps too.

Not sure if that applies to lyme
& co recovery or is just a general recommendation

the combo made a direct improvement eliminating a layer of fatigue...the worst crushing daily ball and chain.

combo :
ashwagandha, rhodiola, astragulus, licorice, holy basil

I do not know the proportions or relative strengths--holy basil was only recently added

--------------------
Not everything in life that can be counted counts and not every thing that counts can be counted...Albert Einstein

Posts: 208 | From Northeast | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beachinit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beachinit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been taking Licorice tea on a regular basis each evening since last December when I discovered that drinking it in the evening allowed me to sleep for 4-5 hours in a row without having to get up to pee. I started a few weeks ago adding Ashwaganda to the mix and noticed a sense of relaxation and peacefullness of mind that actually made it fun to go to sleep again. I use powdered root - organic if available and do the infusing in a Mr Coffee. In the morning I do the same thing with Eleuthero. for some extra energy support before and during the work day. I tried taking Smilax with Eleuthero but that was a no-go for my tummy. To bad because I am pretty sure that Smilax was killing some bacteria, wish I could find a way to keep taking it.

--------------------
Ideas not advice.

Posts: 448 | From Downeast Maine | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfed Out     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey peoples =)

I gotta tell ya, that Licorice root put me in a hole for a couple days. I had lingering effects from it, and actually felt like some Lyme symptoms came out (nerve tingling, joint pain, headache).

I don't think I "herxed" or anything, I just think it hit my poor malfunctioning adrenals hard. From what I read, the side effects are worse for someone who has more severe adrenal insufficiency.

However, I did take it around 7-8pm at night, so I'll never do that again. I was up late and went skating at 1am to beat off the incredible awake feeling I had, LOL.

Today, I purchased some Ashwaganda at the store, and I'm going to try that in a couple days after I get all the lingering effects from this trial out of my system.

I'm seeing a serious link to adrenal-thyroid-HPA in all of my problems. I'm unable to tolerate almost anything in regard to thyroid or adrenal support. B-5 is my only savior at this moment.

I'm shooting for a testosterone serum level test and an adrenal ultrasound soon.

FWIW: Someone had mentioned using a supplement called Cortisol Manager, and said they had zero side effects and noticed a great difference with the product. I may look into for the future.

P.S. My Adaptocrine K2 should be in the mail tomorrow. I'll start with a half dose of that. I hope it's not nearly as potent as the Licorice root.

Posts: 829 | From MD | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement