LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Top 10 things I learned from my PICC line

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Top 10 things I learned from my PICC line
mbdq
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26277

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mbdq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After 8 months of IV Rocephin treatment, my Picc line was removed this AM. Yea!!!!

I have been showing significant gains in the past two months and its time to start weaning off the abx.

Here are some tips I learned from having my picc:

1) A good cover I found for showering is by XeroSox. www.xerosox.com Works great for quick showers and dips in the pool, while holding arm overhead for most of the time. Does not work well submerged in a bath tub or hot tub. They are tight when you put them on- I used baby powder to help it slide on and that was a godsend.

2) I liked to cover my picc with these socks called Ovation Zocks- (google them) which I just snipped the end off of. They were great for the summertime- light, stayed in place, gave excellent coverage compared to regular socks, tube bandaging, etc. Plus the patterns are fun- might as well have some joy in your day while fighting the nasty buggers right? Sorry the patterns probably don't apply to the men out there.

3) When I increased my Omega 3 dosage to 2g/day, my insertion site bled a bit more. When I decreased the dosage, the bleeding stopped.

4) When I took Transfer Factor to help with my WBC count, it caused an immune reaction and pus came out of my picc insertion site. Scary....and I was able to get dressing changed same day and this was the only time it happened.

5) If my arm got itchy around the dressing, I carefully sprayed a light coating of Benedryl spray around the dressing- this helped.

6) I found my arm liked it best if my stat lock was changed every two weeks instead of every week. If changed each week (for me) my insertion site bled more.

7) I also needed to keep my stat lock very close to its original position and not let it "wander" too much. One time, a nurse moved it over about an inch and the line just pulled on the hole all the time and I bled like a stuck pig.

8) I have just learned that you are apparently not supposed to take blood via your picc line, although this is how my nurse did it each week. Oops.

9) If my arm got a little warm or swollen, I iced it. If it got twitchy and tight, I applied light heat.

10) Despite initially being careful with my picc, most of time I forgot it was there. As I got better, I was able to do full pilates classes, ride my horse, and muck stalls with no issues.

Good luck to everyone out there with their lines and treatment. I know I was lucky to get an 8 month run in with no issues. I hope this helps!!!

I have kept the line and now I am wondering if I should have some sort of ceremony and bury it in the backyard or whether I should string it on the Christmas tree [Big Grin]

MB

Posts: 233 | From Hudson Valley | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mbdq:

I have kept the line and now I am wondering if I should have some sort of ceremony and bury it in the backyard or whether I should string it on the Christmas tree [Big Grin]

MB

I vote for stringing it!

My artist partner is doing a sculpture using a lot of my extra supplies - sounds like you need a good art project too!

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bury it!

Thanks for the tips & the laughs!

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am curious as to whether you took tindamax while on rocephin? And if so, could you share your dosing schedule.

Thanks.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ktkdommer
Member # 29020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ktkdommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MB:
Thanks for taking the time to write out all the informative PICC line details.
I learned that when a PICC line cracks it has to be replaced. No fun!

--------------------
Things are never dull. After 3 fighting Lyme, 2 are in remission. Youngest is still sick, age 22. He has new diagnosed Chiari Malformation and Ehlers Danlos Syndrome.

Posts: 1366 | From Perrysburg, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Needing Hope
Member # 28067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Needing Hope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for posting this. I was so terrified to get a PICC line, and reading your post helped ease my mind, especially #10.

I've had my PICC for 16 months now, and after the first month, I, like you, got used to it. Some things I learned:

You can change the dressing yourself. We originally had home health care, but my insurance denied it, so my Dr.'s office taught my husband and I how to do it. I can't do it by myself, and the first half a dozen times, I shook from fear of doing something wrong. Now, we can almost do it in our sleep. [Wink]

There are different types of tegaderms available. The original ones we were using were terribly painful to remove, and itched like crazy. The ones we use now are much more comfortable, and easier to remove.

Band nets (the cloth sleeve that keeps it protected) are washable!! If I had figured this out sooner, we would have saved hundreds of dollars! I put it in a lingerie bag and wash and dry them with the rest of my clothes, and they're good to go. They do need to be replaced after awhile, but it's a long while.

You can buy all the supplies you need individually. We were buying dressing change kits for each dressing change, and we only used like 3 items out of it. By ordering just what we needed, we cut our cost in half.

--------------------
Sick since 12/98. Finally Diagnosed with Lyme 4/10.

Posts: 45 | From IL | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladycakes
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12619

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladycakes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I learned that I'm way tougher than I thought I was.

I learned all sorts of responses to "what happened to your arm?" My usual was, "photographer fight club," but I told a few folks that I had fought the law.

I learned that there are much better options for showering than taping it up with saran wrap.

I learned that PICC covers are really easy to sew, and stretch jersey makes for a nice one. In situations where I didn't want folks bumping me in a crowd, I'd use that tape that athletic trainers use - it looks medical, so people give you a bit more space.

I learned that you can do all sorts of things with a PICC line in, even though they kind of tell you not to. I worked at a vet clinic and lifted big dogs, went zip lining, flew to Europe, actually did a lot of traveling, went to concerts, continued working... I kind of did whatever I wanted to.

I learned that my friends were not as weirded out by it as I thought they'd be. We spent a week together on vacation, and they'd sit around and play Xbox while I did my drip.

Probably most importantly, I learned that I respond a lot better to IV antibiotics than regular orals. I saw so much more improvement on them, and for all of my worrying about it, it was absolutely the right thing to do for me.

Posts: 306 | From Brownsville, PA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pony
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pony     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the comments guys and gals!

This is very helpful for someone who is about to go through this process!!! [Smile]

Posts: 169 | From The Poconos | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BBinme
Member # 34131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BBinme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
8)" I have just learned that you are apparently not supposed to take blood via your picc line, although this is how my nurse did it each week. Oops."

i was just wondering how did you find this out, they draw blood from mine every 2 weeks, i never heard that before, thanks

Posts: 79 | From Maine | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this is an old post, but I was told they are going to be drawing blood from my picc line tomorrow and I hope this is okay to do!
Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I know, it's fine to take blood via the PICC, as long as you change the cap on the line after (blood gets caught in the cap because of how the caps are designed).

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Notti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Drawing blood from a PICC-line is fine, as long as the the line is flushed with saline first and the first 10 millilitres of blood that are drawn are disposed of. The first blood from the line isn't pure.

After the blood draw the line should be flushed with saline again and, if desired, 'locked' with heparin. So before and after every use, whether it be antibiotics, other medication, blood, or whatever, the line has to be flushed.

The cap (MicroClave or Bionector) should be replaced only once a week.

Posts: 109 | From The Netherlands | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for this info. This will be my first full week of having the PICC line in so hopefully my nurse will know the correct protocol.
Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement