LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » ER - overnight stay in hospital

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ER - overnight stay in hospital
nefferdun
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As you may remember I started Mepron about 1 1/2 weeks ago. The trip to see the LLMD was exhausting and when I got home I was pretty sick. Had a very bad cold.

Yesterday I was beginning to feel better although still extremely tired. But last night as I was watching the news, I had a strange thing happen that seemed like a heart attack or a bad reaction to Mepron.

My heart suddenly began beating fast and hard. I felt pain in my chest like heart burn. The worst thing though was terrific pain in my jaw ( right below TMJ) , both sides, radiating into my teeth. I have never experienced anything like it. I also had some cramping in my back.

My husband took me to the ER. After telling them what happened (I was feeling much better), I told them I was on Mepron for babesia and tried to explain what both things were.

I was put on a EKG machine for hours and hours. The doctor refused to let me go home saying there were suspicious results. He went into medical jargon when I asked him to explain.

Something they made me take gave me a headache and what they gave me for that left me so sick with nausea so that I could not stand all day today.

Finally, this afternoon the cardiologist gave me a stress test and my heart is fine, "very healthy". There was no interest in the Mepron or babesia. No comments about if it might have triggered what happened to me.

So I am asking if any of you have had either a reaction to Mepron like this or a herx. I have not taken Mepron since yesterday morning.

God only knows what this is going to cost as our insurance is catastrophic.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like you had a bout of tachycardia.. Sometimes that will show up as an abnormal ekg. They will usually keep you under observation if symptoms persist.

If they gave you either drops of Nitro glycerin or a patch and it caused a headache then it was most likely not a heart issue. If the nitro actually helped then the heart can be the cause. That is what they told me in the hospital.

I've had this happen but was never on treatment. Babesia does affect the heart so it may have been a pretty strong herx reaction.

You did the right thing by getting it checked out.

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you lululymemom]

It was nitro glycerin that they gave me.

I did some online researching just now and found out when you have strong acid reflux it can irritate the VAGUS NERVE which causes your heart to pound and can also makes your teeth and jaw hurt!!

I am so upset as I know this hospital is going to charge me about 5 thousand dollars for all that unnecessary work either because the doctors are stupid or they just wanted to make as much money as possible.

I would not mind paying the bill if I actually saw someone that knew what they were doing. They didn't even tell me what you did. If nitro glycerin means it is not heart related, as soon as I got the headache they should have sent me home! Instead I had to stay another 12 hours waiting for a test that costs a fortune that they all knew I did not need.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psr1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psr1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I first started mepron - right after the first dose - I had a terrible episode of tachycardia - passed out & came to staring up at my ceiling. Was in the hospital for two days, wore a monitor, had all kinds of tests - my LLNP later said he was sure it was a Mepron herx.
Posts: 360 | From New York | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I absolutely do believe that acid reflux can irritate the Vagus nerve, it has done that to me many, many times.. Believe it or not but it can also affect the bowels at the same time and compound the situation even more.

I'm sorry that they are going to charge you so much for staying one night in the hospital, but if it's any consolation, they kept me for 3 days under observation even knowing that it could be something other than the heart.

Having just read more on the subject, it does seem that nitro can cause headaches in high doses, so it may be a precautionary measure to keep you in the hospital.

They finally ended up testing me for porphyria and pheochromocytoma to try and figure out what was wrong. Nobody even suspected LD at that time.

--------------------

31 Epitope test neg.

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you also taking zithromax with the mepron? If so, the zith is known to cause tachycardia.

Hubby had heart palpitations after his first dose of zith and had some abnormal EKG's while taking that med. Then he took Factive which stopped the palps and his EKG's were normal for a few months. But now they have gone abnormal again since he is on IV zith.

Sorry you had such a strong reaction. Hopefully things will improve going forward.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

I am not sure what caused it. It may have been unrelated to Mepron as my last dose was 12 hours before. It might have been the nuts I was eating all afternoon as that can cause heartburn.

I am just so worried about what the cost will be. I do not have the bill yet. But ten years ago when I was taken to this hospital for an injury from a fall, they took xrays and sent me with them to the next hospital 50 miles away because they did not want to call a doctor in.

This first hospital noticed my arm was broken (rather obvious) but did not see the crack in my spine. At the next hospital the doctor said the xrays were too blurry and took new ones, immediately seeing the crack. I was kept overnight for observation.

THe charge at the second hospital that set my arm and kept me overnight was 2K while the charge at the hospital that did nothing was also 2K!

I am thinking I should do something before I get the bill as it was a blatant misdiagnosis. This is the hospital that also misdiagnosed my lyme several times. Insult to injury. I suppose I am supposed to be happy I do not have a bad heart but I just feel mad.

--------------------

Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfed Out     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I did some online researching just now and found out when you have strong acid reflux it can irritate the VAGUS NERVE which causes your heart to pound and can also makes your teeth and jaw hurt!!"

Just to clarify, you're talking about Mepron here -- right?

I had a very similar reaction last week to Wobenzym (I'm about 60% sure it was Wobenzym).

I'd been tinkering with the idea that the Vagus nerve is affected greatly in my sitation; as well as others.

I'm wondering if that is the same reason I had a bad reaction.

That's frustrating to hear about your reaction, nef. I know how much work you put into this, and to have that kind of setback is very frustrating.

Keep your head up. I've been dealing with the same crap recently. With time, we'll figure this out.

Posts: 829 | From MD | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlp38     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are paying cash, make sure and ask for any discounts available.
Posts: 707 | From Colorado | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have heard that you can negotiate with hospitals over bills and end up paying somewhat less. Worth a try maybe?

Link to more info on this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/14/health/14patient.html

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure nitroglycerin can cause a headache in ANY CASE. It contricts the blood vessels.

The drs at the hospital have to make sure you did not have a heart attack. It would be irresponsible of them NOT TO check you out thoroughly.

One of my first bad babesia herxes put me in the hospital twice in 9 days with tachycardia. I felt HORRIBLE.

I'm so sorry this happened and I know what you mean about expense...UGH!!

Just go easy on the next dosage of mepron just in case. I would check with your LLMD to see how you should proceed.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

FYI.. it actually dilates not constricts blood vessels.

--------------------

31 Epitope test neg.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lululymemom:
[QB] FYI.. it actually dilates not constricts blood vessels.

After I shut down my computer last night and headed off to bed... I realized that was WRONG!

Thank for correcting me! At any rate, I KNOW it can cause a headache even if your heart is "not-OK".

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nefferdun,

For future reference -- you do have the right to refuse any suggested test or treatment while in the ER or hospital -- they will not be happy with you but it is your right.

And you also have the right to leave at any time -- hubby did this once. You have to sign paperwork saying you are leaving against medical advice.

As to the bills -- go to the billing dept -- they should be able to work something out based on your income and ability to pay.

Even though we do have insurance we have an account with the hospital to pay what insurance does not -- they do not charge interest and we can spread out the payments over many months to fit our budget.

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

When I went online to research what had happened I realized it was irritation of the VAGUS nerve. I have had tachycardia most of my life so I know what that is and it is not serious.

What annoys me is making me stay in there and continuing really expensive tests when my blood work and EKG (according to the nurses) was normal.

I do not know if it was necessary to give me nitroglycerin if my heart was in a completely normal pattern with no pain and I felt so fine I wanted to go home.

Then to give me percocet to get over the horrible headache caused from the nitroglycerin and then an IV with anti nausea meds for that! I absolutely refused the anit-anxiety drug they wanted to shoot me up with. But when a doctor is scaring you with "this is serious" talk, you cannot completely ignore them. If ONLY I had my internet access there!!!!

I expect this bill to be over 5K. I need that money to buy the mepron and other drugs to treat me because the doctors at the hospital said there is no lyme disease in this state when I was sitting there with an EM rash!! Just burns me up.

It is December so I guess my 10K insurance deductable will start all over next month. Otherwise this would surely push me over the top and I could just insist on IV treatments - but which dum
you know what is going to give it to me?

--------------------

steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same happened to me more than a year ago. I didn't have any acid reflux, only lots of heart pain. It felt like a heart attack and It still happens now and then.

In the ER they gave me nitro pills, they didn't help at all!!! They made me stay over night, and sent me home in the morning.

And yes, you can NEGOTIATE the BILL. Try and get it as low as you can.

Hope you feel better...

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janice victorov
Member # 22937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janice victorov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, if you are taking a macloride like Zith, my llmd said it can cause problems for your heart. Like arrithmya, heart block, etc.

She made me get an EKG to check this out since I have been on zith for almost 3 months.

I'm glad your are ok. Janice

--------------------
jkv44

Posts: 1247 | From virginia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

I left a message with two attorneys to call me. I want him/her to negotiate the bill for me because I believe their voice will be more persuasive. I have a book of Best Lawyers in America and there were only three of those attorney in this state, luckily two local.. They are so good, if they agree to take you, you will be listened to.

I hope the attorney will give me the best advice and help with the hospital if there is anything that can be done. It will be expensive but it is about time I had a voice in this. I just have to wait until I get a call back.

I tried to negotiate my first bill ten years ago with this hospital and failed. I was charged for xrays so blurry no one could read them so my broken back was not even seen and I was sent to another hospital to get my broken arm set. I was sent out with a broken and possibly unstable back. I know from experience I cannot negotiate this myself.

I am not threatening a lawsuit. I just want someone to speak up for me. I expect I will pay something - something fair.

Plus I looked up the rating of this hospital online and it is "poor" for most things listed. The locals, including the doctors not affiliated with it, do not like it so much it is given a really bad nick name I will not mention here. They have been sued many times.

--------------------

steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The attorney will more than likely tell you its a lawsuit. You may end up paying more between the doc's, hospital and attoreys if you don't sue.

Be very "careful", a lot of the bills sometimes come after the hospital bills. A lot of doctors bill outside of the hospital. The attorney should know that.

Good luck, I hope you make out okay!

--------------------

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the attorney fees may cancel any savings on your bill, unless they do pro bono work. You could ask about that. All you really need is a hard charging savvy person to do the negotiating, not necessarily an attorney unless you intend to sue.

Sounds like a hospital to stay away from. When I had a heart episode that went on for an extended time, I drove myself to the emergency room at 4 am where they behaved as if I were a hypochondriac, me who stayed totally away from medical people and places most of my life. So, next time I had a scarey episode, I just decided to ride it out, would rather die than go back to that place. Fortunately, I didn't die. Not recommending this to anyone else. But I have a low tolerance for such conduct.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Hey Lou, sounds like my one and only visit to the ER. They did the same to me, and they are the ones that kept me over night.

I'll never go back myself, they all sxxx....

--------------------

nefferdun
Member # 20157

Because of the work I do I have had to deal with high power expensive attorneys for business reasons. I know they can be as expensive per hour as an LLMD, but they are usually worth it. I have never been involved in a personal suit as I just let things go. It isn't worth the stress and I may decide to do that if this gets complicated.

Super attorney's are not hurting for clients and will give you the best advice about what to do, including dropping it. The first consultation is usually free. It is just best to get an expert opinion so I can let go of it one way or the other.

If there is anything out of order in what the doctor did, I think a letter from a highly respected attorney will convince the hospital to reconsider their bill. I am worrying myself over it and really don't know - just one more thing I didn't need to add to my stress.

I will never go to this hospital again. If I am in a life threatening situation, I will call a helicopter if necessary to get me to one of the hospitals that can save my life.

I would advise others to check the rating of the hospitals in your area. This one is listed as "poor". As it is under new management with a lot of expansion, I thought it might be better than my previous experience. Not so.

--------------------

17hens
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seibertneurolyme:
Are you also taking zithromax with the mepron? If so, the zith is known to cause tachycardia.

If people (and there seem to be many) have such strong reactions when taking mepron & zith, is there a reason they're not given mepron and biaxin instead?

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bugg
Member # 8095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bugg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Nefferdun,

Just something to think about.....Before you bring in an attorney to "write a letter" to the hospital about your charges, I agree with Lou that you might just want to try to handle it upfront yourself....You can even go to the billing office in-person at some hospitals.....Trying to negotiate the bill down, in a nice way MAY get you farther then bringing in an attorney to write a letter....

In other words, in some instances when attorneys write letters or "make demands" the hospital can get concerned about liability and then NOT want to acquiesce on anything due to possibly looking like an admission of error.....The sooner you discuss the bill with the hospital, the better....

You can also ask to be setup on a payment plan...You have the right to request an itemized bill of your charges.....Since you are insured,if you are unable to negotiate a discount on charges with the hospital, you might also try to work with your insurance company on the charges....If you don't get anywhere, nicely ask to speak with supervisors....

Of course "incorrect charges" or "services rendered outside the scope of duty of care" or EMTALA standards are separate legal issues

(not giving legal advice just trying to help as a friend)....

Take Care...

Posts: 1155 | From Southeast | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keltyl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keltyl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not upto reading every post, but this happened to me 3 weeks ago. Went to ER, long story short, thought it might be my heart.

Dr in ER said gerd and gall bladder can cause chest pain. I was also given nitro and got a terrific headache. I never have had acid reflux and they did an ultrasound on my gall bladder. I was thinking that might be it, since I was on IV rocephin almost 10 mos. Nope.

Kept me overnight. Had numerous EKG's, induced stress test, cat scans, and echocardiagram.

At least I found out my heart is in fairly good shape. The nausea was from a supp I was taking, and I still get the sensations in my chest, I think from food.

Posts: 847 | From upstateNY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

I told my husband that instead of being happy my heart is in good condition I am annoyed I wasted all the money. LOL

But it will be A LOT of money and my insurance will not touch it.
I am ok with paying what is reasonable such as the ER visit charges plus EKG and blood work, which at that point showed I was not having a heart attack - AND I was feeling fine then and wanted to go home. I am not trying to get out of the entire bill.

I guess what really burns me up is that I would not be on drugs or have gone to the ER if I had been diagnosed correctly in the first place after 5-6 visits to their doctors and a perfect description of classic lyme including the rash. And I can't afford to pay them for additional negligence! I need the money to try to get over the harm they have already caused me. So I am pretty hot about it.

As for talking to this hospital I already said I attempted this before when they charged me two thousand dollars for x-rays that were so blurry the doctor at the next hospital had to retake them. This hospital refused to budge on their bill - not one cent.

The x-rays were worthless, they misdiagnosed me saying I was fine (other than my broken arm) when my back was broken! They sent me off to drive 50 miles to another hospital with a broken back that could have been unstable. When I complained about this to the management, they insisted as I was not injured as a result of their negligence, it was not a problem that needed to be addressed.

This is a really really bad hospital. The local doctors not connected to this hospital call it Carcus Daily.

--------------------

Toboein
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22635

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toboein     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i just wanted to say i think itake the cake with useless emergency room visits - mine landed me in the hospital for 5 days and with a 34K bill.

dont feel too bad about the cost. the peace of mind of knowing your heart is okay is worth it.

--------------------
A tiny bug no bigger than a pimple on your butt can change your life.

Posts: 101 | From Southern NJ | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement