LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What can be causing cold spells?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What can be causing cold spells?
blinkie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if they classify as chills or not. I get them two-three times a day, every day like clockwork.

Once in the am, and sometimes twice in the evenings.

Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaplyCarlessdave
Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaplyCarlessdave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are probably coinfected with Babesia, maybe with Ehrlichea, or possibly both, as was. How high does your temp vary through the day? For me it was very different than the "usual pattern", for flu, etc... -there tented to be 2 spikes/day during which I wouldhave chills. This was in the early acute phase, for me. My fever would go to almost 103, if not controlled with ibuprofen or other such things. If youare on the antibiotix, this will improve if it's caused by ehrlichea. But if you have babesia, you will need to take anti-malarials drugs (atovatone) or herbs (artimesia anua)
DaveS

Posts: 4567 | From ithaca, NY, usa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blinkie
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave-thanks for the input. It's funny you mention babs as that is what I think I'm struggling with, but late stage.

Did these episodes last a particular length of time? For me, there are a few hours each time.

I will log my temps throughout the day and look for spikes too.

Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget about unstabe thyroid activity.
VEry common with disseminated Lyme infection.

'TSH' (thyroid stimulating hormone) levels will actually vary significantly throughout the day, as they did with me, until the Lyme infection is more under control.

Funny thing is, it was worst about 3-4 months into treatment & then got progressivly better.
I remenber having to bundle up every late morning.

Certain co-infections, though, as indicated above, are also likely to cause this.

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got this with Babs.

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ticksickfamily
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ticksickfamily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get these cold chills too. Normally every evening for about 2 hours.Strangely, they improve if I go to sleep.So if I have an afternoon nap, I won't get the chills in the evening.
My LLMD suspects babesia in me and has also started me on Armour Thyroid.However the chills have got worse for the last couple of weeks, I am even starting to get them in bed at night now.

Posts: 174 | From UK | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marine2783
Member # 24982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marine2783     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could be your thyroid too. Ask your doctor to check it if it hasen't been done recently. Hypothyroidism is very good at making you have the symtoms you are describing.
Posts: 56 | From California | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blinkie
Member # 14470

ticksick and steph-this is EXACTLY how it is for me. I t can be 80 degrees and I will randomly break out in goosebumps and it lasts 1-2 hours in most cases. Always twice a day at the same times. Once in the am and once in the pm, right at bedtime.

I'm on babesia treatment and making good progress but these chills are not being touched.

ticksickfamily
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ticksickfamily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm now wondering if these chills are connected to a gallbladder problem. I have noticed since eating higher fat foods over Christmas they have got a lot worse, also I think eating precipitates the chills and that is why I have them in the evening so regularly about 2 hours after my main meal of the day.
Anyway, just a thought. Perhaps the chills are connected to an infection in the gallbladder.I thought I would go low fat for several days to see if the chills will go away and perhaps even do a gallbladder cleanse.

Posts: 174 | From UK | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lauralyme
Member # 15021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lauralyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get these chills too.....most noticeably after eating, but haven't connected it to fatty food.

I'm unsure if it is from Babesia (which I have) or thyroid

--------------------
Fall down seven times, get up eight
~Japanese proverb

Posts: 1146 | From west coast | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
one4islands
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for one4islands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get these episodes mostly in the afternoon and evening.

I don't get goosebumps, but am freezing and shivering with a ton o blankets up to my neck and cannot get warm for hours.

Then I wake up in the middle of the night sweatiing.

My extensive thyroid tests have all been normal.

Wondering know if Babesia as I have air hunger as my only other major symptom.

Posts: 412 | From Virginia | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement