LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » GiGi - Fasting

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GiGi - Fasting
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have an opinion on fasting?
Even mini-fasts (1 day every now and then where you simply take a break from everything)

Just curious your thoughts - this topic rarely comes up.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I'm not GiGi but fasting often brings hypoglycemia for many -- and for those with porphyria, fasting can be very dangerous, even fatal. Our bodies need food, water, air. All are good. Embrace the good.
-------------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/91842?

PORPHYRIA

===================

Rather than fasting, you might consider incorporating JUICING, but be sure to add back in the pulp so you have a more complex carb experience.
-

[ 12-18-2010, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stephen Buhner is a great adept of fasting.

I swear it put my lyme once in remission, without any drugs. I did it for 10 days though.

It gave me a feeling of well being, of being energized in a different way. My body entered a sort of detox mode, my brain got clearer, and I feel my body started doing what it was supposed to do, but before, was too busy to do.

I felt well until I was so well, that I decided to go for jogging. I misunderstood the energy I was feeling with physical energy. Then I felt bad, with hypoglicemia, because one is NOT supposed to do many physical activities while fasting. I learned that fast.

I ate a pear and felt well again. Then everyday, I ate a pear or apple, once a day, and that was all the food I had for about 7 days (first 2-3 days were foodless). I was very thin when I did that fasting, but that didn't affect me badly.

It was an incredible experience. I don't have the strength of mind to do it now, as I'm no longer sick, but I guess I would do it again if I fall too sick again.

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another thing I forgot to say, my eating habits changed after the fasting. I stopped eating a lot in the evenings (my meals reduced to very light ones), ate more at breakfast and lunch, and STOPPED the snacks in between. Stopped until today!

The effect of that single fast I did years ago last until today somehow!

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fasting while toxicities play a major role is not recommended by Dr. K. If I have heard it once, I heard it a hundred times.

Fasting or skipping a day is for well people.
Not when the body is desperate for nutrients. Have not met a person with Lyme and Company who is not deficient in so many nutrients. We wouldn't have a problem with Lyme. Many people are infected with Lyme and do not get chronically ill. We should never forget that.

Of major importance are the essential minerals and proteins and absorption.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys

It's something I'll wait/look into after I'm done with Lyme and the toxicity load is greatly diminished.

Brussels,
That's awesome - did you get buhner's book?

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might do a "fast" that includes only certain health foods. I've heard of "raw food fasts" where a person only eats raw or lightly steamed fruits and vegetables. Or a juice fast where you drink fresh juice all day.

I cannot fast due to hypoglycemia, but I have done those modified fasts.

if you're too toxic though, they might make you feel bad, so just be open to adding a cooked meal to slow down the detox. I've done a "raw fast" for as long as a week, but I was eating plenty of food full of nutrients and enzymes.

I was not able to do a raw fast when sick because my digestion got so bad. I am able to eat more and more raw veggies all the time, but they still can't make up more than half my meal, so I am still not back to the point that I can do a raw fast. At the rate my system is improving, I expect by this summer I will be able to again.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Canefan, yes I read the Lyme book and about 3 other of his books about plant healing and plant spirits. Not the fasting one though.

I had active lyme when I fasted. Something in my mind MADE me fast, it was like hearing a voice saying 'stop eating, stop eating, stop eating'. I always felt like hypoglicemic so never tried it. Besides, I had gastritis for many years, so I never THOUGHT about fasting, too much pain.

By the time I decided to fast because food didn't seem right, I suffered from NONE of the problems, no hypoglycemia nor stomach pains. It was like magic.

Buhner wrote to me and said, 'your body was ready for fasting'. I had lingering lyme symptoms that didn't go and those lingering symptoms faded as the body entered a strong DETOX mode.

I had been doing dr. K.'s treatment for about 2-3 years when I decided to fast, so many years of detoxing. It did help me, it was an unforgetable experience. Even with my body, that was weakened by so many years of lyme, I was so thin,... nothing was big problem.

I gained from fasting, the days got longer, my brain clearer, my urine stinked so badly (sorry for the description) even though I was taking only water and light teas without any sugar.

It was fasting that gave me the confidence that my body was NOT as weak as I thought. This was before I knew infrared therapy (photons).

After I read a bit about fasting and I do believe that when we eat, our bodies get SO busy to digest food, select food, throw waste away, take toxins from food away, etc that it has no time to clean or fight infections.

Take the big digesting job from the body, it will do what it had to do but had no time to do. The energy goes fully into detox and into the immune system.

Of course, one may not do fasting for very long nor too often. But since my fasting, I heard of a lady who barely had any stomach left from cancer operation. The doctors sent her home WITHOUT even sewing her skin well, because they knew she had only days or weeks to live.

The woman went to a crazy healer who only told her to fast and do water cleanses (from all over...), and she had to do that for 40 days. No food, no fruit, nothing, just water. She had nothing to lose, she did that AFTER the operation. She was thin as paper! She had a baby and she did that for her baby.

After 40 days, he gave a strict diet for her. She had to stop eating meat and many other things. She followed it all. She is still alive today, and very strong.

So even for dying people, it COULD work. I don't say it does to everyone, but our bodies still have more resources than we think. This is what I think.

If my memory is right, I had a relapse later though, after the fasting, when my daughter had her relapse. It was a bad relapse for her, so many nights without sleep, hospital nightmares, after a couple of weeks into that nightmare in full winter, well, I relapsed once more. That's when I tried the photon therapy!

But I don't regret the fasting, it was a great experience, very profound and meaningful. It really made me trust my body more than I ever did, during my lyme story.

canefan17
Member # 22149

Very cool.

Buhner talked about mediating through the hypoglycemic times (during a fast)

Anyhow - thanks again guys

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
If porphyria is a player, I guarantee meditating will not reduce the level of toxic porphyrins that can build up from fasting. If porphyrins get too high in number, cell death occurs. Be sure to consider porphyria. Fasting can be fatal if porphryins get too high.

Elevated porphyrins are a frequent issue for those with lyme, heavy metals and autism (or autism spectrum disorders).
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shahbah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shahbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, i guess you can try it... I fast few days every year. It used to bring much more clarity to my mind but now I think I am too sick to notice a difference... However, I know someone who had breast cancer and she went on what desperate cancer patients call starvation: basically they stop eating for a long while not to feed their cancer, and then the tumor reduces... after that they start reintroducing food slowly, liquid first, then fruits, then solid... But my God I would never do that because while they are starving the tumor, they are starving and killing their own body....but hey, damn sickness...
Posts: 723 | From Montreal | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R62
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for R62     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agree with Keebler here.. resaerching potential porphyria and Keebler is right on. I wonder how many of us with chronic lyme have it as a major player.
Posts: 861 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pamoisondelune
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pamoisondelune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can i fast and still absorb calcium pills, since i have to guard against osteoporosis?

I need to know! What calcium (and all the other minerals) are absorbable on an empty stomach?

I used to love fasting. My body needs only one meal a day or less, and is very resentful on a 3-meal a day schedule in order to absorb calcium etc pills.

----Polly Polygonum
----or Nilufar Knotweed

Posts: 1226 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement