LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Calcium level low?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Calcium level low?
wtl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wtl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just got a call from our IV supply pharmacy saying that the calcium level from the most recent blood work shows low. They did not suggest to stop the IV doxy, but suiggest to discuss with the physician to see what can be done.

I vaguely remember some discussions here about calcium supplement for Lyme patients is a no-no, but can't find any specific right now.

Anyone knows how to deal with it?

Posts: 822 | From midwest | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elizzza811
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elizzza811     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up...

--------------------
Urge Congress on EMF Safety, FCC Must Change Exposure Guidelines for Microwave Radiation Exposure: http://tinyurl.com/2cjq54y
Halt Universal Broadband, A Public Health Hazard:
http://tinyurl.com/3x7xrmq

Posts: 495 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Give the doctor's office a call if you haven't already. They will need to look at the rest of your wife's lab results and symptoms to best know what's going on and what to do next. It may be a side effect from her heavy metal detox/chelation meds.
Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There have been theoretical discussions that calcium may be used to form biofilms. But others say they are formed by magnesium.

Regardless of the answer, calcium is a critical nutrient. If it gets too low it could even cause seizures. Besides the issues with osteoporosis. I do not believe that you can starve out the bugs. The nutrients they require are also critical ones for people and you would die first if you tried to kill off lyme etc by restricting nutrients.

In reality if blood calcium is low it probably means many other minerals are low as well because calcium is generally well absorbed and available in the diet or pulled from the bones if needed.

This is something you will need to monitor closely to determine the cause.

Could be hormone related or there are several other possibilities.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wtl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wtl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, all.

Bea - interesting you should mention seizure. I seem to notice that lately. And yes, the pharmacy that called did mention somethign about another measurement that indicates lack of nutrition.

I will discuss the issue with her doctor next Monday during the phone consult.

Happy New Year to all!

Posts: 822 | From midwest | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe it is very important to recheck Ca.

Low Ca. can be very dangerous and the cause should be investigated AEAP.

I do hope your doc got a copy of the tests already.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wtl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19883

Pine - Good to see you.

Yes, her llmd has a copy and we have a phone consult set for the coming Monday. I would definitely pound for an answer.

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
As we must supplement with magnesium, it is important to also supplement with calcium as those two need to stay in a proper balance. Also, as with magnesium, not all forms of calcium are equal.

A deficiency of either one can cause seizures but also irritability, anxiety, confusion, heart rhythms to get out of synch, increased brain fog or other neuro stuff - and pain.

"stuff" is my word filler when brain fog takes over. That word covers a lot (of stuff).
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wtl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19883

Keebler - for sure, she has all the "stuff" you mentioned. I am hoping her llmd can give some guidance on what to take.

Any suggestions on a good product for calcium?

momlyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My notes from the book Clear Body, Clear Mind:

Calcium does not go into solution in the body and is not utilized unless it is an acid. Calcium gluconate and magnesium carbonate should be taken in powder form (no binders) and mixed in an acidic solution (vinegar, vitamin c)

After reading this, I shopped around for calcium gluconate and magnesium carbonate in powder form. I found and started using a cal-mag powder that also has vitamin c (for the acid).

Here is the link to the product I chose:

http://www.calmagstore.com

It is quite simple to make. I pour 1/2 coffee cup full of boiling water, add 1 teaspoon of cal-mag powder, fill cup with apple cider or apple juice and add stevia to taste.

My son loves it.

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wtl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19883

I didn't know body can't absorb calcium easily. I thought all it needs is Vitamin D to go with in order for the body to absorb. I was hoping one could just get whatever the calcium pills available at store.

Sounds like this is going to be another chapter of things that begs for dollars...(sign)

TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From page 28 of Burrascano:

"DO NOT rely on �cal-mag�, calcium plus magnesium combination tablets, as they are not well absorbed."

This is under his discussion of magnesium supplements.

It may be that a powder is better than the tablets Burrascano is saying to avoid. I just don't know. So, I have avoided calcium/magnesium combinations due to this statement.

wtl, here is a good link for you regarding low calcium:

http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/sec12/ch155/ch155b.html

As you will see, rifampin and many other meds can cause it. There are quite a few possible causes listed here. Also, it says just to take calcium supplements to resolve the condition, so hopefully this will be cheap to do.

Let us know what the doc says please!

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wtl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19883

Thank you, TF. I do remember reading about cal-meg from Burrascano's guide.

Great link. I know all the symptoms mentioned in the article. According to the pharmacy, her calcium level has been low for a while now - very low and then up a bit and low again. So I will definitely bring this to her doctor's attention on Monday. Will update.

momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The book I read said that one can't be absorbed without the other (Calcium and Magnesium) and they need an acidic environment to be absorbed.

I know Dr. B's guidelines say the cal-mag tablets are not absorbed well. IMO, neither are most magnesium supplements. My son is not having facial tics or convulsions since adding the cal-mag. That makes me think the absorption is good.

My son still takes a mag citrate capsule in the morning. He takes the Cal-Mag drink in the afternoon. That is what is working for him.

Since this was about calcium, I did not think to mention the magnesium.

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to see you wtl! Most of the people I have seen who have to be on liquid calcium are because they lost their parathyroid/s. And dosage seems to be in comparison to loss. Lose 1 need some-lose more need more...

So if thats the cause and doc. did not get you to run to retest, it may be the meds hitting it...Any stomach or leg cramps too? Sometimes they precede the seizures.

I will say when mine was waking up I had more difficulty in swallowing/choking, plus some kind of tissue coming up like oatmeal. Messy business this is...

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wtl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19883

momlyme - interesting about the absorption of mag and cal together. I wonder if I have them separately and taken them together, it will be considered as cal-mag by Burrascano.

Pine - She seems to have some stomach clamps/upset lately. I am anxious to hear what her doctor has to say about it.

momlyme
Member # 27775

I believe the cal-mag Dr. B. refers to are "calcium plus magnesium combination tablets" as he states have poor absorption. I would tend to agree that many combinations are not put together in a synergistic way but are only marketed for convenience. In that way they appeal to a broad audience.

My son was having many facial ticks and whole body convulsions which would knock him off his feet or out of his chair with no notice.

This led me to doing a lot of research before I settled on this combination of Calcium gluconate and magnesium carbonate mixed in an acidic solution.

His ticks and convulsions are 90% better in the last two weeks since he has started taking the Cal-Mag Formula.

I only wish my doctor could do a comprehensive nutritional panel to tell me what other supplements are not being absorbed well. I am glad that you and your wife have access to this information and can conquer this challenge head on and with a doctor's assistance.

Unfortunately, there are legal issues with testing for vitamins/minerals and heavy metals in NY state. Right now, until we find away around the legalities, it is a guessing game based on symptoms.

--------------------
May health be with you!

wtl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19883

Hi mom,

I didn't know the legal matter in NY about testing for vitamins and minerals. What that heck?

Her doctor actually is in NY and I hope he will be able to tell us more regarding calcium. The last route she was tested low in potassium, she was prescribed Klor-Con right away. So I am hoping that calcium issue can be looked at and addressed.

Good luck with your son. It sounds like you are on the right track from how he responded to the cal-mag. I hope he continues to improve.

momlyme
Member # 27775

Wow... sounds like your doctor is getting nutritional tests done in NY... that's awesome!

Please, let me know what lab your doctor uses for testing.

Do you travel from the midwest to NY for an LLMD? I grew up in the midwest... 26 miles west of Chicago.

I don't understand the laws in NY... I just know the labs say no tests from NY. My LLMD seems to think her hands are tied. Perhaps she does not know the correct labs to go through?

We want to do this test (or a similar test): http://www.spectracell.com/micronutrient-testing-comprehensive-nutritional-panel

and/or a hair analysis for heavy metals. I have checked several different labs for this one and have been told there is a statute in NY which does not allow hair analysis???

I am currently shopping for a doctor to order the test -- but I have to go out of state.

I was even told by one doctor (over the phone) that they can't order the tests because we are NYS residents! I hope this isn't true! I have an appointment with a doctor next Wednesday who I pray can help us.

--------------------
May health be with you!

GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BIOFILM

Biofilm has a negative charge and is held together by molecules with a positive charge (like calcium, magnesium and iron).

This layer also contains several different heavy metals (a requirement).

Gut-biofilm prevents the normal flora (like acidophilus) from thriving.

Need to break up the biofilm.

Gut biofilm in the gut prevents or minimizes the absorption of nutrients and all supplements.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wtl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19883

mom - not sure why all the doctors you see told you that. It is one thing if they don't think these tests don't mean much, but it is a totally different story if it is illegal. That's quite a big word to my ear. Can you call the lab directly and ask if they are legal in NYS? They will know if they can perform in a particular State or not, I would imagine. I would just go to the source and find out once and for all.

My wife was just tested from LabCorp, but I do not yet know exactly what test is called. I only heard that from the pharmacy where she gets her IV doxy, prescribed by the same llmd in NY, but the pharmacy is local here in Ohio.

yes, we travel to see the llmd in NY from Ohio but we travel physically only once every few months. We do phone consultation every month for med adjustment, etc. And then, since she was on IV, she is ordered to have her blood work every two weeks.

GiGi - Sounds like you are suggesting that she might not have low calcium because the element is locked up in the biofilm? It makes sense since she has not responded to treatment so far. Is the biofilm issue should be raised to her llmd at this time?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement