LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Any study points Lyme link to Huntington's Disease (HD)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any study points Lyme link to Huntington's Disease (HD)
wtl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wtl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously I am not here to talk about Woodie Guthrie but something that affects my personal universe.

I know there has been Lyme links to MS, ALS and Alzheimer's.

Please point me to anything you know or find.

Thanks.

Posts: 822 | From midwest | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bugg
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bugg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know of a link but I was reading recently where minocyclene, which is used to treat lyme, has also been successful in inhibiting Huntington's Disease....
Posts: 1155 | From Southeast | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Huntington's has a genetic cause (although infection and toxic states would negatively affect, likely more so than someone without HD).

If HD is suspected, it is very important to have the genetic test and to go back over the family tree. It would also be important to address heavy metals, chemical toxicity in environment and food, etc. to help as much as possible.

I cannot stress enough the importance of getting that gene test. If identified before any symptoms may develop (or early on), supportive measures might make a huge difference.

For sure: avoid aspartame, even a trace of it can make HD much worse (as it seems to have done for a friend of mine who just can't give up diet soda).

============

www.hdsa.org

The Huntington's Disease Society of America, Inc. (HDSA)
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wtl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wtl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the genetic test for HD commercially available at this time?
Posts: 822 | From midwest | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Q: Is the test available?

The HD web site - and other good sites - can tell you more.

My friend had no problem getting the test a couple years ago. I've also seen several news magazine such as "60 Minutes" interview families where young adults had the test, or decided they did not want it.

As I understand it, if one has blood relatives with HD, their chances are higher for having the gene. However, they may not have it. And, if they do have it, it's not possible to predict exactly what the future will hold regarding the timing or the severity of symptoms -- but it would sure be helpful to know so that some measures could be employed that might be somewhat protective.

It would be important to get assessed ASAP. Knowledge is power, truly.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.lkwdpl.org/hdsa/hdtest.htm

A Guide for Families � Genetic Testing for Huntington�s Disease

Excerpt from section II. Genetic Testing:

How can I be tested?

A blood test is now available that can determine, in almost all cases, whether a person has the HD gene. This test cannot, however, predict when symptoms will begin or the course of the disease.

There are three categories of testing:

Presymptomatic testing, for people at risk for HD, is the type of testing which will be discussed in greatest detail in this publication.

Confirmatory testing determines whether people showing possible symptoms actually have HD.

Prenatal testing is used to determine whether a fetus is at risk for HD. This can be done by amniocentesis or chorionic villus sampling (CVS). . . .
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Backing up. I forgot to mention that not all kinds of chorea are due to HD. You seem sure that HD is the definitive diagnosis for the family member(s) about whom you write.

However, if HD has not been specifically dx, remember that chorea can have other causes of non-HD chorea. This is just one link about that. I suspect many other causes not included here but you can also do a more extensive search.
------------------------

I can't get the URL to post but search: Chorea here: http://en.wikipedia.org

Choreia (or chorea)

Excerpts:

Choreia (or chorea) is an abnormal involuntary movement disorder, one of a group of neurological disorders called dyskinesias.

The term choreia is derived from the Greek word χορεία (=dance), see choreia (dance)), as the quick movements of the feet or hands are vaguely comparable to dancing or piano playing.

The term hemichoreia refers to choreia of one side of the body, such as choreia of one arm and not both (comparable to hemiballismus). . . .

Causes:

Choreia can occur in a variety of conditions and disorders.

Choreia is a primary feature of Huntington's disease, a progressive neurological disorder.

Twenty percent of children and adolescents with rheumatic fever develop Sydenham's chorea as a complication.

Choreia gravidarum is rare type of choreia which is a complication of pregnancy.

Choreia may also be caused by drugs (levodopa, anti-convulsants, anti-psychotics), metabolic disorders, endocrine disorders, and vascular incidents.

Ataxia telangiectasia

Wilson's disease, a genetic disorder that leads to toxic levels of copper in the body. . . .

. . . .

====================

Magnesium deficiency could be to blame for some manifestations of chorea, too.

Aspartame and MSG, too.
-

wtl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19883

Thank you, Keebler.

HD is my worst fear but I do not yet know what is at the stake. All things come to point at that direction, but that doesn't mean there is nothing else out there that's a possibility.

It has been a hell of a day in my mind since the realization of what might be. I seem to have a hard time concentrating.

wtl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19883

Ok, now I actually looked at the file and saw the test for HD by LabCorp. It says both Huntington alleles have been tested - both CAG repeats are within normal range (below 30). I just didn't realize that was the genetic test.

Thank you for educating me. I was panicing.

How accurate is this test done by LabCorp? Anyone knows?

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
This is where you need to contact several different HD patient organizations to ferret out the best information regarding what labs have the best tests and accuracy, etc.

My guess is that any lab that does a genetic test would do it correctly, though. It's far different from looking for stealth infections. Of course, it's always important to ask - as the tests are always being refined.

It's good to know that the signs point away from HD, although, you do need to learn more about the specifics of testing and if this would need to be revisited with development of any new research methods.

On the other hand, you might find out that you had the best and most definitive test there is - that would be so good to know for sure but, at least, you can sure breathe easier now having looked back at past lab work.
-

wtl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19883

I will keep that in mind, Keebler. Thanks bunch.
wtl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19883

Well, looks like we are not all out of woods yet - apparently there are such thing called HD-like syndromes for those who are genetically tested negative but clinically exhibit HD symptoms.

I am so scared...

Sheryl777
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheryl777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been all over the internet looking for something promising for HD, a condition that a friend of mine has. Found nothing.

However, yesterday I asked my LLMD whether he might know of anything that might be of help for it. He said that LENS therapy is working/helping? It's some kind of neurological therapy. I said that HD is genetic but he still said it pertained.

To find information about it, look on the internet for LENS, brain mapping. I'm checking out a book from the library called "The Healing Power of Neurofeedback: the revolutionary LENS technique for restoring optimal brain function" by Stephan Larsen.

I know a woman whose daughter with neuro lyme is using it and they are having positive results. There are practitioners but I don't know yet how to find them.

Good luck with this awful condition. Hope this helps.

Posts: 258 | From Spokane, WA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wtl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19883

Thank you, Sheryl. This is very helpful. I will check into it.
wtl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19883

Appears that LENS providers can be found at the founder's website at:

http://www.ochslabs.com/providers.php

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement