LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Bad Dr. Appointment Yesterday.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bad Dr. Appointment Yesterday.
Jin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Borrelia Buddies,
Yesterday afternoon I had to see my PCP for renewing my prescriptions. I have been so sick, I have no appetite at all anymore. I force myself to eat twice a day. As I told her about my period coming every 10 days and being heavy and excruciatingly painful, she proceeded to interrupt me and say she wanted to hear about somethng good that is going on in my life. All of us are out of work, have no insurance, and I am so sick I have lost the will to live.

There is no telling how bad the anemia is now, and I feel like I am waiting around to die. As badly as I need meat, every single time I eat even an ounce or two, excruciating abdominal pain shooting through to my rectum occurs. This sets off my colon. I told the quack that I felt pain in my ovaries as well, and believe it is the hormones in the meat. She argued that I need to go low-carb and not eat carbs. My blood sugar dips too low!

The sugar does need to be avoided, but nothing seems to help my glucose stay steady. Carbs are the only thing I tolerate very well. I am down to 112.5 lbs. She also said that "The Zone Diet" is wrong. Dr. Sears is a biochemist, and has thoroughly researched his findings. He has science to back it up. He also never said the body cannot tell the difference between sugar and other carbs. If she ever read any of his books, she would have known that! Obviously, Dr. Dipstick is not in the loop on a lot of things. She has not heard of The Body Ecology Diet, and believes all grains are bad. Estrogen Dominance is said to be helped by millet and buckwheat.

I spent the last twelve hours crying off and on. Everything always feels so hopeless. Nothing ever changes for the better. She recommended an Adrenal support formula dosage, which she left the "d" out of glandular and had to correct it after I pointed it out. Apparently, she went to the Dan Quayle School of Spelling. How in the Hell can idiots like this be allowed to have a status so high and respected and people like us be treated like lower beings?

I also asked about liver cleansing. She asked why I would want to do that. Does she know anything? Detoxing of course was the aim. Milk Thistle is something I wanted to know about the dosage before attempting it. Frail systems like ours do not do well with overload. I am sorry this was so long, but venting was necessary. You of all people understand considering the misery you have endured. Thank you for listening.

Sincerely,
Jin

--------------------
Celiac Disease (2007)
Candida Overgrowth (2006)
Thyroid Disease (2004)
Gallbladder Disease (removed- 2003)
Fibromyalgia (2001)
Ovarian Cysts (5 in less than 10 months - 2000)
Anemia (2000)
IBS (1999)
Acid Reflux (1999)

Posts: 369 | From Midwest | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jin,

I'm sorry that you are so sick and feeling so down. PCP's usually are clueless about supplements and holistic approaches. Are you being treated for lyme and do you have an LLMD.

Is any doctor helping you at all?

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Abxnomore,
This doctor does chelation therapy, but still does not believe me. That is obvious. I was tested for Lyme by Igenix, but my results were not very conclusive. I had to cancel both appointments with Dr. C in MO, because I could not afford to go. He felt despite the lack of positive bands that my symptoms warranted treatment.

Sincerely,
Jin

--------------------
Celiac Disease (2007)
Thyroid Disease (2004)
Fibromyalgia (2001)
Anemia (2000)
IBS (1999)
Acid Reflux (1999)

Posts: 369 | From Midwest | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry this is happening. Nothing worse than dealing with a duck.

I can tell by your writing that you are a fighter... a survivor. That's good!

That said... put on your boots now and get stomping. You know your worry is not going to fix anything and I don't want you getting any worse than you are.

You have a choice to keep looking at the bull (the PCP) right in the face and continue to try to argue with her...

OR...

Get to a doc who can help you.

Can you take up a collection from friends/family? How about a credit card?

Can you make payment arrangements with the docs office?

Shake off this last appointment, dear one, and let's move forward. It is NOT hopeless unless you let it be. And I know you can do it.

I do.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TS96
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TS96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jin,
Please don't feel bad because of the Dipstick Dr's lack of knowledge.

Most reg. Dr.s know nothing of good nutrition, vits etc... most eat horribly themselves.

Also the bizillions of dollars are spent on pharmaceutical research and not on good ol' natural means of getting oneself better.

Have you addressed parasites in any way? It seems with your symptoms this is a huge possibility, and wouldn't be expensive to at least get started.

--------------------
Bart Henslea 1976
Fibro/CFS/arthritis 2004
Lyme diagnosed 2007
3 1/2 years treatment with oral combos, Cowden, IV roc. BW herbs. Off all abx in 12/10. Feeling good.

Posts: 647 | From NY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You really need to find an OB/GYN right away!

The regulation of your blood sugars can be helped by eating green vegetables. Simple carbs only make the sugars go up and down.

Are you following the celiac diet?

Hope you can find a new doctor who is more willing to help you.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's true that unlike what most ducks think protein is what stabilizes blood sugar not carbs no matter if they are simple or complex, thou complex are better than simple.

Have you tried some kind of protein drink that, perhaps, you can tolerate.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
You need a new PCP, for sure. But, most of us just have to figure out a lot for ourselves and avoid typical doctors.

Your colon reaction to red meat (possibly) suggests dangerously elevated porphyrins, which requires carbohydrates. Low carb (and especially no carbs) can be fatal for those with porphyria. Of course, there are ways to still get the carbs you need from GOOD COMPLEX carbs, balanced with light proteins and fats.

Still, in a porphyria emergency, glucose can save a life but would need to be IV.

Beta Carotene can help tremendously and that can come from carrot juice AND LOTS OF LEAFY GREENS and greens powders.

Start with the "Secondary Porphyria" post for a basic understanding and then tailor for the best in nutrition that is balanced:
-----------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/91842?

PORPHYRIA
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
By the way, many of the non-gluten "grains" are not grains at all and many are packed with protein and some good fat, too.

Quinoa, the best of the bunch, is a seed.

Wild Rice is a grass. Not sure about Chinese Forbidden Black Rice but it has a near perfect nutrient ratio and is rich with minerals and antioxidants.

Whole Buckwheat Groats, a legume. Etc.

Still, even complex non-gluten "grains" are always best with twice the ratio of good leafy greens and some other very bright veggies.

Do you have anyone who could loan you a juicer right now, as your colon seems to be - (lost the word I can't find) ?

Lentils and other legumes also help tremendously to balance blood sugar and are an easier way for those with any kind of porphyria or flare ups to get protein since meat can often pose a challenge.

If you have a stainless steel hand blender, you can puree your lentil vegetable soup for ease of digestion.

Just toss in a bit of red quinoa 20 minutes before it's done cooking. Red quinoa does not have to be rinsed. The regular light quinoa does.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Contact you area lyme support group for a lyme friendly PCP if you need certain Rx refills. Otherwise, you might not really need a PCP if you have a LL ND around.

You asked about Milk Thistle and "liver cleansing" -

Liver support that helps the liver do its job is discussed in the articles and books below. Detox is vital, but really WE don't do the detox, we support the liver, kidneys, skin and they do it. Just keep it gentle and consistent.

Good luck.

============================

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/2/13964?

Topic: How to find an ILADS-educated lyme literate (LL) professionals in these areas:

Naturopathic doctor (ND); Acupuncturist (L. Ac.), a doctor of Oriental Medicine (O.M.D.), or a doctor of Ayurvedic Medicine (D.Ay.), certified herbalists or nutritionists, . . .

. . . Holistic MDs, and also Doctors of Osteopath (DO) and Doctors of Chiropractic (DC), etc.

�� Includes many professional links, articles and books on complementary / integrative methods - & RIFE links -- all by LL authors.

Also included are basic links explaining the principles of herbal medicine.

BODY WORK considerations (geared to lyme patients) are discussed; with links.
-

seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be sure you are taking a good multivitamin. Just read something in my new issue of Better Nutrition I picked up in the health food store.

"Some research indicates that zinc deficiency may interfere with vitamin A activity and that vitamin A deficiency can worsen iron-deficiency anemia."

Don't remember ever hearing of vitamin A influencing anemia -- you always read that vitamin C is needed to absorb iron.

I do think you need to find another doc. Sounds like this PCP is not only not helping, but adding extra stress and aggravation.

The tickborne infections may be a big piece of the puzzle. It is impossible to say at this point, but you may need to treat lyme and/or babesia and/or bartonella first before the G.I. issues will improve.

I am sure you have probably tried blackstrap molasses and lots of green leafy vegetables. Hubby drinks lots of V8 juice with added salt and also lots of apple juice.

You might try eggs -- the yolks only -- for extra protein.

One other supplement which might help, but it is rather expensive is lactoferrin. It helps keep the iron away from bacteria.

Digestive enzymes such as pancreatin may be needed to help with absorption. Also since you have no gallbladder ox bile supplements might help. And many people actually need extra stomach acid -- betaine HCL.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11735

Dear Tincup,
I do have one great set of boots to stomp in. Those will get me going! As far as finances go, we are barely surviving. To give you an idea of how much people care, a person I thought was my friend recently took something I meant as a joke seriously, and then another friend of hers chewed me out. Then she started in on me!

She was trying to say I am just negative. Anyone who knows me would say the exact opposite. I generally am optimistic to a fault. It is very obvious that people just do not care when things in their lives are going well. People prefer to live in their own little universe. I have learned the hard way that "friends" and "family" are not to be counted on for assistance in any form.

Dear TS96,
Parasites are something I am curious about. Pretty well everyone on the planet has them. They are impossible to avoid. Many formulas have psyllium husk, and that always nearly kills me. Humaworm is great though, because you can have it customized. Parastroy is another that recently was mentioned.

Dear Lymetoo,
I actually am not even gluten-intolerant, it turns out! That is a relief, but being gluten-light is still important due to the ill effect wheat and rye have on Estrogen Dominance. The cottonseed, sunflower, and safflower oils are the most difficult to avoid. They put them in everything!

Evening Primrose Oil is suggested often. I would like to give it a try. I get to see a GYN the 25th. She is supposed to know her stuff, and be very compassionate. The receptionist was my age when she had a hysterectomy due to Endometriosis. Her symptoms were exactly like mine. She too, had a family history of such problems.

Dear Abxnomore,
I seem to tolerate dairy (lactose-free) better than most protein sources. I have to take Lactase enzymes, but it does not seem to irritate my system as badly as the meat. A friend of mine on here recommended BioChem Whey Protein for smoothies. I would love to try it.

Sugar is a major issue. That is why whole grains are a good option. Grain is much more tolerable than other foods. Fruit does not get my glucose up to normal for long, though. I have to eat half a tube of potato chips to get it up to 80 mg/dl. However, I cannot eat chips hardly at all because of the stupid oil they are fried in.

Dear Keebler,
Thank you for all of the information! I have some research to do! My aunt has a Jack Lalanne, maybe she could allow me to borrow it. Dad says we cannot afford to buy a ton of produce to make juice. That is another reason I get so down. I find it amazing how we can afford for him to go out to eat and spend $100 per week, as well as $54 per week on cigarettes.

Porphyria may or may not fit. Certain things do not match, but that does not completely rule it out. Endometriosis is the most likely at this point. Someone else suggested hyperkalemia. There are so many possibilities! Toxic mold is not ruled out yet, either.

Dear Bea,
I take a B-Complex, and it helps. I cannot tolerate zinc in cough drops due to it making me nauseous. Iron does the same thing to me. I take bile supplements along with okra pepsin by Standard Process. Sixgoofykids suggested Bio-Gest by Thorne Labs and so I am going to give that a try. Adrenal support is also going to be added.

Betaine HCl is what I have been trying to use to wean off of Prilosec. I lasted four days, and then the fire in my stomach won. PPIs are awful! I wish I had never taken one in the first place. Hopefully, the new supplement will remedy this.

Sincerely,
Jin

--------------------
Celiac Disease (2007)
Thyroid Disease (2004)
Fibromyalgia (2001)
Anemia (2000)
IBS (1999)
Acid Reflux (1999)

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement