LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Can you herx for several weeks?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can you herx for several weeks?
365SunnyDays
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29969

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 365SunnyDays     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took Amoxicillin for 6 weeks and had no herxes at all - in fact I felt great, but was completely scattered and could focus at all. My LLMD switched me to Doxy two weeks ago, and I've felt lousy ever since. I'm tired and flu-ish, joints ache that did not hurt before, I'm weepy and depressed, and I'm dizzy more often than before. I'm at 200 mg/day (the full dose). Has anyone had experiences with herxes lasting this long, or repeatedly herxing over the course of teh first few weeks of treatment? I'm concerned that this is not a herx, but instead just the Lyme picking up steam.

--------------------
We really know so little about the body and the microbiome.

Posts: 261 | From Southern California | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SashaC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SashaC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just posted a similar question. Although I won't be much help in answering your question, I am hoping that other members will read this and respond with their helpful replies.

I am not taking doxycycline. I was on an IV of doxy for 5 weeks at the beginning of my treatment and became so intolerant to it that I am unable to ever take it again.

I tried waiting months and restarting with a low oral dose but was still unable to tolerate it.

The feelings you are describing at the present time echo mine almost exactly, although my herx started when I began Biaxin last week.

I am crying, aching all over, dizzy, depressed...

From the feedback I have received so far, this is a herx.

I do have to add, however, that I understood that doxycycline needs to be taken at a dose of 400mg to be effective.

Also, I believe that an increase in symptoms means that you have begun to effectively target Lyme.

Again, I hope that you will receive input from others as to their thoughts and experiences regarding the changes in symptoms you are having.

Sasha

Posts: 151 | From SW US | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not being a Doctor, I can only relate my own personal experiences, but when I started treatment AND anytime my treatment is changed, it is very common for some of my herxes to go on straight for MONTHS.

It really depends on how heavy your load is and whether it's being hit by the particular antibiotic.

One thing I can suggest is to make sure you are doing all you can to DETOX DETOX DETOX. It does help some of the symptoms.

If they start getting to be too rough, sometimes your LLMD will cut back your dose or give you a short abx break. But this is something you have to talk to your LLMD about.

Sadly, this is a horrid disease and getting better isn't fun. Hang in there and keep fighting.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is an interesting question? I believe that you can. There are doctors out there that believe severe herxing is a good sign. There are other doctors that don't believe.

With my own experience, I compare how I felt on Mepron, which was instant improvement, leading me to believe this was the drug for me. I now am on Rifampin. It's extremely rough but I am hanging in there. It causes SEVERE brain fog which is the problem that I am trying to get rid of. I don't know if or when this fog will lift. I'm hoping this is a herx.

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MazzyStar
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MazzyStar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I herxed for several weeks....so yes, yes you can.

--------------------
Lyme, Babs, Ehrlichia

www.mommalyme.com

Posts: 276 | From Kansas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nybasketball212
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nybasketball212     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my opinion, and all of my LLMDs opinion, no. A herxheimer reaction in literature, is only a day or two maximum. What most people think is a "herx" on this site is really just a drug reaction.
Posts: 306 | From NY | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, they are possible and probably related to duration of illness. I know Ray Stricker believes in prolonged herxes, especially with Flagyl use. Dr. B also has suggested the idea of prolonged herxing.

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, and for several months and for several years.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nybasketball212:
What most people think is a "herx" on this site is really just a drug reaction. [/QB]

Funny. I had the same "reaction" for nearly two years to many different drugs.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by 365SunnyDays:
I'm at 200 mg/day (the full dose). Has anyone had experiences with herxes lasting this long, or repeatedly herxing over the course of teh first few weeks of treatment?

This is one half the dosage needed to kill out the Lyme. However, it doesn't sound like you could tolerate that much at this point in time.

You can herx a long time, believe me.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes

But read the Detox Support Thread

Because it can make ALL the difference in the world if the rate at which toxins get out of you is faster than the rate your killing bugs and making more toxins then your herxes will not go on and on

Mine did for years until I broke through and freed myself with aggressive detox and treatments included in the detox support thread on this forum.

Search under that exact phrase

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

yes, detoxing is important!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

mbdq
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26277

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mbdq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been herxing since I started serious treatment 15 months ago.

I am now on an abx break and just on herbs and still herxing.

Focusing on detox too.

Fun stuff.

MB

Posts: 233 | From Hudson Valley | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
renny1985
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for renny1985     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why does my LLMD, who is well known and seemingly quite smart not outright recommend detoxing? One llmd told me if my liver enzymes are okay, I am okay with detox.

I am herxing right now on Tetracycline 1000mg a day. going to increase to 1500mg next week. I think my herxes are diff from symptoms because of the weeping, out of touch with self, sense of doom stuff I experience.

I also get more tingling in my hands when herxing. I have been drinking lots of water and lemon....

what else can I do? especially with little $$....

Posts: 341 | From NY/FL | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Detox Support Thread

So many ideas listed on this one thread. You will find things that cost nothing to things that cost a lot to things you can do at home to things done in office.

Find what works for you and it can be magical

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
365SunnyDays
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29969

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 365SunnyDays     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, everyone, for your responses. I'm guessing that some of what I'm experiencing is herxes (very sore knees, where I never had joint pain before) and some is toxin overload (the really foggy, tired, weepy stuff). My mistake on my doxy dosage -- its 200 mg 2X/day, so I'm at the full dose, thankfully. I have acupuncture and massage, do restorative yoga and have taken one epsom salt bath (which did seem to relieve the "weirdness" in my muscles). I need to pick up the baths, and increase my magnesium and Lipsomal glutathione to see if that helps.

--------------------
We really know so little about the body and the microbiome.

Posts: 261 | From Southern California | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Thanks for the correction, 365! I was worried about your dosage!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement