LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » possible to have ear infection while on abx?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: possible to have ear infection while on abx?
renny1985
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for renny1985     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it possible that I have an ear infection even on 1000mg Tetra?

My ears have been hurting and I have been more stufy headed/dizzy/foggy then usual. Could also be herx? Who knows. Just wondering if I should wait it out or see doc...

Thanks,
Renny

Posts: 341 | From NY/FL | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always get ear pain when I am starting a new abx.In my case this is a herx.
Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
It could be a virus (abx do not affect viruses). Mold issues affect ears. Be sure your probiotics are in good shape. Olive Leaf Extract can help against fungal issues (internal or from external exposure) - or viruses.

A NETI POT to cleanse sinuses is a good idea.

However, most likely, as karen suggests, it can be a herx - or too high a toxic level of your body, in general. Some drugs are harder on the ears. Liver support should help.

Also, your magnesium supplement may need to be increased. Turmeric and Curcumin -- and Fish oil all help but GINGER CAPSULES are the best helper for the ears.
--------------

ALL EARS. Specifically for LYME patients - lots of details about ears and what can help:

� of the way down page one, there are lots of LIVER LINKS:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links - including HYPERACUSIS
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
More detail about supplements is in this thread. A LL ND might be helpful - and acupuncture can help ease pain, too.

Some Cranial-Sacral Therapy may be helpful on your jaw and neck. See the BODY WORK links here, especially with lyme patients in mind:
---------------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/2/13964?

Topic: How to find an ILADS-educated lyme literate (LL) professionals in these areas:

Naturopathic doctor (ND); Acupuncturist (L. Ac.), a doctor of Oriental Medicine (O.M.D.), or a doctor of Ayurvedic Medicine (D.Ay.), certified herbalists or nutritionists, . . .

�� Includes many professional links, articles and books on complementary / integrative methods - & RIFE links -- all by LL authors.

Also included are basic links explaining the principles of herbal medicine.

BODY WORK considerations (geared to lyme patients) are discussed; with links.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES, I did. It took another Abx to rid it.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
renny1985
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for renny1985     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the responses. I guess I need to see a doctor huh? Maybe I will leave a voicemail for my llmd (he is closed fridays, I am in FL and he is in CT). But maybe he can call back and provide some thoughts.

If that doesnt work out I guess I need to see a doc here in FL to look in my ears and make sure I dont have an infection/fluid.

I am not on magnesium...only 50mg in my daily vitamin. I dont know if I need more than this? No one has ever suggested it to me...

Not doing any liver support either. Tooo overwhelmed with reading all the detox threads and not knowing what will be good for me. Doc never mentions any of this either.. eek [Frown]

Thanks again
Renny

Posts: 341 | From NY/FL | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Yes, much more magnesium is needed. That detail in is the EAR thread.

Liver support links there, too, can guide you. To protect ears when ototoxic drugs are required, liver support is also required to help the liver deal with the toxic overload of herx, regular metabolic waste and the Rx metabolism.

Milk Thistle is the way to begin (but, if on Mepron, that may change). I know all this is overwhelming, so if you could find a LL ND go guide the support part of this, it would be easier.

One by one, the articles in the ND thread explain WHY liver support is so important.

Some LLMDs focus just on the pharmaceuticals. Many ILADS-educated LLMDs do suggest specific support, though. Dr. Burrascano's protocol is detailed in the ND thread and that has a separate section for nutritional support suggestions. Just follow the links. Maybe browse one each day and soon you'll have a good overview.

good luck.
-

MamaMelvis
Member # 26818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MamaMelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On my first antibiotic, I had horrible ear pain. Though I had a terrible infection, went to the doc and she told me that my ears were fine. It was one of those "duh" moments for me.

I get a lot of ear pain/throat tightness with antibiotics. Thankfully it comes and goes at the moment. So while it could certainly be an infection, I have to think that it's most likely a herx.

--------------------
~*Melvis*~

`

Posts: 80 | From Midwest | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement