LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » ECT Treatment for depression

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ECT Treatment for depression
steelbone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steelbone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Question for a friend

Has anyone ever done this treatment before?

If so how did it go

--------------------
All The Best,
Paul
[email protected]

The harder you work the luckier you get!

Posts: 965 | From Nebraska Cornhuskers fan in Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, personally I would say that this would be a VERY LAST thing to consider!! In my book it is brutal (having seen my mother after it way too many times). I'm sure that it is done somewhat better these days, but still, there are so many better alternatives!!

A top notch psychotherapist/psychiatrist for really good therapy, and a top notch psychpharmacologist would be the best places to start.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ECT is torture passed off as treatment. It was originated as a method of killing pigs.

It is known to cause brain damage that is permanent.

Please check out MindFreedom.org, which is a group of psychiatric survivors who have personal experience with this.

Best,

Cass A

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carrie Fisher was discussing this on Oprah and MSNBC the other day. She says she uses this therapy regularly for her bi-polar conditon.

"Fisher said her disorder resisted all drugs and therapy, and she finally found relief through electroconvulsive therapy, commonly known as electroshock, which applies an electric current to the brain. Decades ago the therapy carried a lot of negative implications, but Fisher said psychiatrists have dialed the voltage down and patients don�t really go into convulsions. �I loved it because it worked,� she said.

I know it's a radical treatment, and I never thought I would hear anyone speak positively about it, but I guess for her it really worked.

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paulieinct
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulieinct     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Four people in my life have had ECT. And all four, I am now convinced, had severe depression as as a result of decades of undiagnosed and untreated Lyme Disease. In addition to the depression, all four had physical symptoms strongly suggestive of Lyme.

My mother had ECT back in the 1960's, when they really cranked up the volts and did it without anesthesia, I believe. I was thirteen and I visited her in the hospital after she had had a treatment, and she thought I was her brother, asked me how my wife Cecile was. I have never forgotten that.

The three others were friends of mine. They had ECT during the last ten years. It is done differently now, patients are sedated and anesthetized.

Does it work? I believe in some cases it does. It worked on my three friends, at least for awhile. People can be pulled out of the black depths of despair when nothing else works. ECT is a last resort, to be used only in severe, intractable cases.

Does it injure the brain? Hard to say, cuz Lyme Disease injures the brain too, and who's to say what caused the damage? It certainly affects memory, especially right after the treatments. But memory returns, not sure all of it does.

I would say two of the four people I know would probably elect to have ECT again if they really needed it.

--------------------
Sick since at least age 6, now 67. Decades of misdiagnosis. Numerous arthritic, neuro, psych, vision, cardiac symptoms. Been treating for 7 years, incl 8 mos on IV. Bart was missed so now treating that.

Posts: 765 | From nw ct | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally hubby was offered this treatment twice in the early stages of his illness. This is when he was undiagnosed. We are both very glad that we refused the treatment. At the time he had severe Parkinsonian tremors and lots of dry heaves. Was not responding to any of the "standard" G.I. treatments for gastritis and Parkinson meds made things worse. He had problems sleeping due to tremors.

Since no one could explain his tremors he was diagnosed with anxiety and depression. This was before his seizure like episodes started and before he tried those meds which also did not work.

In my opinion ECT made absolutely no sense as a treatment in the condition he was in at the time.

Like someone else said -- I would consider this treatment only as a last resort.

Hubby responded much better to amino acid therapy than he did to psychotropic meds.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This therapy should be reserved for ppl who are suicidal or who are treatment resistant.

I do know someone that it helped very much.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HorseHelper
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HorseHelper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ECT- don't do it! I heard memory loss is what develops from it.

I know a lot of true stories (none good) of friends that had it done. I attend a support group for depression.

These people are ruined from it. [dizzy]

--------------------
I'm glad to know I'm not alone
Some peace of mind I somehow find
Through folks like you with Lyme!

Posts: 240 | From An infected state | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement