LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Itching...all over

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Itching...all over
mysteryone
Member # 29440

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysteryone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starting last evening I have had these itching sensations all over my body; sometimes it is my back, sometimes, my scalp, sometimes my abdomen, arms, feet. What could these itching sensations be from? I am currently taking doxy 200mg twice daily, taking 5000IU of Vitamin D and recently discontinued taking Lyrica. These sensations are preventing me from sleeping. Herx reaction?
Posts: 12 | From Binghamton, NY | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could be yeast or an allergy. Is there a rash? If Benydral helps it's probably an allergy.
Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
renny1985
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for renny1985     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you had your liver enzymes checked recently? I know liver stuff can cause itching- though I am no expert on this.
Posts: 341 | From NY/FL | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liver or yeast. Most likely yeast.

Have you been taking high quality probiotics??

(any new foods or meds?)

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annier1071     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My llmd told me that a yeast infection can cause severe itching. I had the itching in my ears and it made me crazy. I am now on diflucan and a lot of probiotics and it is better.

If it is an allergy, then Haley is right a benadryl would stop it right away.

--------------------
Diagnosed with chronic neuro lyme 12/10 after 30 years of vertigo.2 tick bites in 3 yrs from upstate NY. Was on omincef for nine mths..zith and rifampin stopped.Remission~ All the pain and symptoms are back and I am not treating now with biaxin.

Posts: 788 | From New york..queens | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I've had yeast really bad it has kept me awake at night .. or at least it's very hard to fall asleep.

I also have scalp itching when it's bad .. and yeah, ears too!

-
Excellent probiotics:

VSL#3
http://www.vsl3.com/order.asp

Theralac
www.theralac.com

Whatever you take, take at least 100 CFU's per day. Wish someone had told me that 10 yrs ago!

Candida diet and elimination:
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/021412.html

http://www.wholeapproach.com/diet/

http://www.candida-albicans-cure.com/candida-albicans-symptoms.html

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paulieinct
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulieinct     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Herxing. When I first started treating, I would have severe itching episodes almost bad enough to send me to the ER. Could not take warm showers or use soap or dry off vigorously with a towel. I was putting ice packs on myself and it did help.

IMO, this is borrelia in your skin dying off. It means you are killing bugs and this is good. It will pass. altho could take a few weeks.

--------------------
Sick since at least age 6, now 67. Decades of misdiagnosis. Numerous arthritic, neuro, psych, vision, cardiac symptoms. Been treating for 7 years, incl 8 mos on IV. Bart was missed so now treating that.

Posts: 765 | From nw ct | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysteryone
Member # 29440

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysteryone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm currently taking a very good probiotic. No rash or visible redness anywhere. It gets so bad I feel like I could take a couple layers of skin off. I'm supposed to have labs done at my next appt. and will ask about having liver tests done. If this is Borrelia dying off that is a good thing but this is enough to make one insane lol.

Thank you for all your responses!

Posts: 12 | From Binghamton, NY | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

You can get yeast while on a probiotic.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

mysteryone
Member # 29440

True. What can I do about potential yeast while taking an antibiotic?
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Follow the diet as strictly as you can. As a preventative, you could get a script for Nystatin.

If you feel you need treatment, ask your dr for some Diflucan.

There are also natural alternatives listed above in the "candida diet and elimination" link.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

imitchy
Member # 30719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imitchy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never had a rash until the very day the doctor did the blood test. I had been complaining about arthritic type miserable pains in my hands and fingers for over a year. She had treated me like a nut job. I went back several times and still she thought I was a nut. Finally, the last time she thought well let's do another blood test and she casually thought "oh, let me request lyme test as well". That very night I got a little bump and they kept coming. She called about 5 days later, it's positive for first stage lyme and put me on antibiotics 200mg doxy. But the bumps are still coming and the itching is annoying. When is it going to end?
Posts: 39 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

imitchy.. Make sure you are protecting yourself from getting yeast also. (you could have both right now)

as for 200mg doxy "curing" you.. it's doubtful

you need at least 400mg a day to get rid of the Lyme

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

imitchy
Member # 30719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imitchy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I definitely thought it was too low after reading some more. I am going to call tomorrow and demand they straighten that out.
I think the early stage thing is a lie too.
I have been making these complaints for a long time.
The difference is I was on minocycline 1x a day for acne, plus valtrex for hsv1/2 though I never had a sore on my lower half. What I did have is this same little itchy bump on my leg and now 5 years later they are popping up on my forearm, leg, belly, back. Driving me nuts.
Could the fact that I was on the antibiotics and antiviral for 5 years and recently stopped the antibiotic somehow slowed the progression from early stage lyme?

Posts: 39 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

It could have kept the Lyme at bay. Is that what you mean??

You really need to find an LLMD and be evaluated for coinfections.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

imitchy
Member # 30719

Yes, I think the minocycline was somehow keeping the lyme at bay. She says it's early stage but from the time that has passed with my complaints I think it's been a long time and maybe it looks like early stage but might be worse.
Thank You.

blinkie
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree...yeast makes my skin dry and itchy all over!
Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imitchy
Member # 30719

hi, if anyone has a good suggestion.
I feel so sick right now and the headache is coming on. I have to take my antibiotic right now and I know for sure it will make me feel crumby.
Any suggestions for headache and nausea

Lymetoo
Member # 743

I hear ginger is good for nausea. I've never tried it.

Headache?? tylenol??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lymeboy
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was super itchy for a few months back in the summer. Now I get it for only like a half day and then It goes away. like a creepy, crawly, itchy feeling....
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imitchy
Member # 30719

hi lymeboy, are you still positive for lyme or is this after treatment? Just wondering if the itching will stick around after it's supposed to be gone.
rossphoto
Member # 28106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rossphoto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
has anyone's itching felt like pin-pricks or tingling? my itches feel like they are coming from beneath the skin and when i go to scratch them there is no relief and doesn't feel like im able to get to it.

i have read this be described as pruritus. could it be that some of our itches are in fact a form of neuropathy?

Posts: 28 | From NYC | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imitchy
Member # 30719

rp, i have definitely had those type of itches as well. like coming from under the skin of my toes or eyelids, i also believe it is neuro
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by rossphoto:
my itches feel like they are coming from beneath the skin and when i go to scratch them there is no relief and doesn't feel like im able to get to it.

-
Could be a type of neuropathy maybe. But I get that when my candida is kicked into gear. It's very annoying. Feels like it's in my veins!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

imitchy
Member # 30719

hi all, went to derm dr today.

he said my rash and recent itching is a form of eczema and it is not the lyme.

told me to use zyrtec and benadryl and kenalog ointment.

hope none of these react with the antibiotics.

thanks for keeping me sane during the worst of the itchies. [Smile]

Liz D
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liz D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rossphoto - mine is exactly what you describe - pins pricks that feel like they are coming from under the skin. llmd prescribed some fancy compounded yeast fighter that I pickup Monday. its usually used in iv form but mine is pill form and if it works I will be one very grateful lymie
Posts: 234 | From BC Canada | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

imitchy... hope that works!!

liz.. what's the name of it??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes rossphoto, I have heard some of the feelings that are like itchy or tingly or bugs crawling, are actually neuropathy, meaning somehow from the neurological system, not really that anything specific is going on there.

But, I have had the yeast itching too, it is for real as well. I use a spray of 1 drop of vinegar to 1-2 fl.oz. of water for this, and it helps reduce itching.

Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz D
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liz D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lymetoo - its amphoterecin b 100mg. I pick it up Monday and am hoping for some relief.
Posts: 234 | From BC Canada | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Thanks, liz... let me know if it works!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Liz D
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16739

lymetoo - I know 2 things so far. It took the pharmacy 2 weeks to find someone to compound it, and a month supply was $550 ! The final insult is that I dont think my insurance will chip in their share for this so the fight is on.
Only on day 2 so no diff or improvments so far. LD

Lymetoo
Member # 743

GRRRR... way out of my league! Keep fighting!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement