LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » STUDY SHOWS LYME MAY BE CONTRACTED BY CASUAL CONTACT

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: STUDY SHOWS LYME MAY BE CONTRACTED BY CASUAL CONTACT
daystar1952
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daystar1952     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The older study at the link below shows that Lyme may be contracted through casual contact. However, this does not mean we will come down with Lyme disease. If our immune systems are healthy we shouldn't become sick.

http://lymesentinel.blogspot.com/2009/12/lyme-disease-study-shows-evidence-of.html

Posts: 1176 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here we go again.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhitneyS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhitneyS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing I can say to the contrary is that I've had Lyme several years and I have never met anyone else with Lyme, nor has anyone I know come down with it.

I know some families are all infected, but I think for the most part it is usually only one person infected.

Posts: 844 | From CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
During WW2, the Japanese were experimenting with airborne spirochetes to use for bio-warfare. It is possible - whether it's happening is anyone's guess.

I think if it were casually spread - everyone would be ill by now. Maybe everyone is infected but not everyone gets sick from it?

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daystar1952
Member # 3255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daystar1952     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that having the lyme spirochete in your body and being sick with it are two different things. We know that Bb can be nasty when it takes hold and our immune system can't handle it. I think that there are many people who have the germ and are keeping it under control. We inherit different immune capacities and then we also affect the potency of our immune systems by what we eat, the stress we are under.....etc

I know that my Father-in -Law gardened all his life in CT. He worked out at the gym in his 80s at 6 every morning before he would garden. A couple of years before he died, he began to get what appeared to be Alzheimer's but ended up being Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus.

I insisted that he get tested for Lyme. The doctor said it was the most psoitive test she had ever seen and that it appeared to be a very old infection.He got IV treatment for a month and began to improve but insurance wouldn't cover any more. He immediately went back downhill and died.

Apparently he had had lyme for many years but only as his immune system declined with age did he become sick.So......we need to think ...immune system....immune system....immune system. Diet, chiropractic care, excercise, being outside and grounding...etc

I know that with myself...I used to blame it all on the bug....about how vicious and pathogenic it is.It is pretty tricky... But....I think there is more to the story....something or many things together are combining to make us more susceptible to all of these pathogens.

Posts: 1176 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that mouse study is not a good model for human contact transmission. It's even worse as the 'only evidence' (in the form of an animal study) of supposed sexual transmission (I don't know about this dog study that someone mentioned, haven't heard of that one. However, the mouse study that blog linked to is the most common evidence that people cite for supposed sexual transmission, even though it does not in the slightest bit address sexual transmission.

Mice fight and bite each other, and more importantly they urinate on everything including their food. It's probably the method of transmission that happened here.

Hopefully humans don't eat pee-covered food routinely.

It seems like it'd have been easy enough to do sexual transmission studies in animals, but as far as I know it hasn't been done and this one single mouse transmission study with no mating activity noted is always held up as some kind of sign of the existence of sexual transmission.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there was a UCBerkeley entomology department (I think) study where they tested dozens of San Francisco area humans for tick saliva antibodies (yes, we form antibodies to ticks) and had them fill in a questionaire. Some extraordinarily high percentage of the people had antibodies to tick saliva, while a huge number of those same people claimed they'd never been bitten by a tick. It shows that a)tick bites are a very common occurrence, even in the city and b)most people who are bitten by ticks never know it. That explains all the 'why are there whole families (and neighborhoods) where a lot of people are infected).

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could be a combination of things...? Vaccines may have something to do with it...? Could be other pathogens like herpes, toxic heavy metals, pesticides, GM foods...? Our genetics...?

Seems you father-in-law lead a long, healthy life up until the end, though. I think us "younger" people are being exposed to alot more junk these days. Not to mention EMFs...

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

San Fran has alot of natural & grassy areas. It's not as urban as, say, Manhattan. Even Manhattan has parks... People travel alot, visit scenic areas... bring their pets... go hiking in the mountains for a day, etc.

I read a study that people in London can get Lyme from going to the various parks there, too.

I'm not real convinced of the casual contact route of transmission concept. From what I read - an important part pf transmission is the tick saliva. It suppresses the immune system so the bacteria can take hold.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[bow] Maria... Amen and Amen!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Camp Other
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MariaA has a lot of valid points. Thanks for sharing those!

I have seen no conclusive evidence that Lyme disease can be so casually transmitted between humans. I keep looking, too, as I believe it would be an even bigger health crisis if it were - so far, no evidence is strong enough to support it.

Many people do not know they have had tick bites when the ticks can be nearly as small as the period at the end of this sentence, and when they can anesthetize you during the bite so you never feel it. The ultimate cesspool on legs is a stealthy arthropod with stealthy organisms inside it.

daystar1952,

Thank you for sharing your story, and I am sorry for your loss. It is good to know your father-in-law was so active and doing well late into his life before his immune system gave way.

I do think the immune system plays a role in why patients have prolonged symptoms, though I'm not yet sure how much of a role. I continue to research this issue, as well as different genotypes, antigenic variation, sequestration, and various strategies Borrelia has for survival.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
daystar,

I also thank you for sharing your story. I had many lyme symptoms since childhood into my late 30's, until a traumatic event caused PTSD and then the lyme really flourished as my symptoms got worse. It wasn't until they got much worse that I was able to figure out it was lyme.

I do think there is a lot of people infected with lyme but just not seriously struggling with it. It makes me wonder, regarding your father in law, do you think, in retrospect, he had some lyme symptoms that progressed, but weren't noticed until it got really bad? Or, more like he was really very healthy, no symptoms, and then suddenly the lyme really got going?

Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

I actually think I first picked up Lyme as a child in New York City (well, it was probably from visiting someone in Long Island, the local epicenter of Lyme, but I sure don't remember the incident where the bite could have happened). I grew up in the concrete jungle- the projects- but kids go to parks and families do occasionally go visit people with lawns and yards even if you have the extremely unnatural, concrete surroundings like I had.

The author of the Lymemd.blogspot.com blog had an entry where he described a patient who got Lyme after tick bites picked up on the grounds of his apartment building. The patient was quadriplegic at the time, and rarely left his apartment, and certainly was not a hiker/person who lived out in the country/suburban gardener or any of those things you associate with tickbite risk. He was just a kid confined to his wheelchair who still managed to get tick bitten just from the landscaping work that was done on his apartment complex grounds on the day someone took him outside.

Tick bites are much easier to get than people realize. That's probably where almost all of the non-congenital transmission comes from. And, as Sparkle7 said, and as Stephen Buhner and other authors write, Lyme is adapted to acting in synergy with the tickbite process, specifically the part where the tick saliva acts to suppress the immune system in order to prevent human antibodies to tick saliva from making the human reject the tick. that immune suppression is thought to facilitate the spirochete infecting you.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

chiquita incognita
Unregistered

I want to suggest that here on this forum and others, that the ongoing discussion of how to balance and tone up the immune system is really a pivotal one. Perhaps others might start threads about just this subject, it would be very interesting to see what people have to say.

I highly recommend this book:

Boosting Immunity edited by Len Saputo MD. Excellent, excellent chapter on sleep and education on immune physiology, and natural protocols.

Also hormone balancing may be key. A masterful immune system healer who healed me in only 6 months from environmental illness (usually takes 18-24 months, and I remain symptom-free for 25 years) said that balancing hormones affects immune function. He was referring to all hormones, but in particular the thyroid and adrenal glands figured prominently in his book.
His clients all got well rapidly and beautifully, he had a real gift for healing tired and over-sensitive bodies. (I use the word "Clients" because he was a med school graduate but not a licensed physician. So no "patients". He worked as nutritionist/herbalist instead, with his medical background to assist is plan of action, with doctor-ordered tests to inform individualized protocols).

An interesting note: The late John Finnegan (immune system healer mentioned above) thought that even while infections inhibit immunity and the nervous system, the body also wouldn't tolerate *long term* infections unless immunity was "Down" to begin with. It's a chicken and egg relationship, he thought, between low immunity/infection and infection causing low immunity too.

Once again strengthening the body's defenses (where appropriate, or modulating the hyper-active immune system) could be key to protection. Looking at history (how long were you nursed as an infant? Or not at all? Heavy metal exposure? infections, pesticides, etc) helps determine the plan of action for balancing immune function.

Regarding casual contact, until further research confirms yay or nay, perhaps it is wise to take protective measures like condoms until we know for sure. (Sorry guys!)

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Over 200 parks in SF, plus front and backyards, pets, people taking daytrips anywhere in the SF Bay area - yes, people get Lyme and co's here.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Camp Other
Unregistered

onbam,

I've been doing some research on relapsing fever and transmission of other tickborne illnesses. And from what I have read thus far, outside of a bite, relapsing fever can be spread through the coxal fluid of the tick (coxal fluid comes from pores near the legs of Argasid ticks) into a break in skin.

Most of us won't encounter this, having been more likely to have been bit by Ixodes ticks.

Inoculation or inhalation of aerosolized organisms from dried tick feces can cause disease too - which rarely happens, but it does with Q fever and tularemia pathogens.

cleo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't even need contact. It might just happen by eating a rare steak or hamburg together.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1790102

Not that anyone is into cannabilism but isn't eating a rare steak kind of the same?

http://www.springerlink.com/content/x18j24234mw3154r/

Posts: 433 | From new york | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackstone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
....This is the SAME bloody animal study that gets everyone's underwear in a bunch. There are numerous flaws including the fact that antibody response is what is being measured which is flawed to begin with - antibody is not evidence of infection, only exposure.

The 1 case of actually being able to isolate Bb turned out to be an issue of lab contamination in short, if I recall correctly, because they tested for antigen on the same equipment that actually induced the antigen into the environment! In addition, this doesn't take into account the "infective" Bb theories. The arthropod/insect vector has shown that it "changes" many pathogens so they become infective through various methodologies, similar to how certain parts of malaria's lifecycle occurs in mosquitos and that West Nile virus gained a "cover" of sorts from its host to infiltrate a new one. There is quite a lot of data on the various chemical reactions in the tick, during the bite etc.. that are thought to aid transmission and help to "stealth' the pathogen to that particular host. Lyme has shown its "specialization", but only once it has time to "lockdown" - there have been experiments just this past year about modifying ticks to not have certain properties thought to confer this "stealth boost" and it showed a dramatically lower state of infection. If this is true, hypothetically person-to-person transmission wouldn't have this "stealth boost" either, so introduction to a new immune system may not be viable.

This is a 1986 study that when repeated, failed in 2004 and a similar one failed in 2006. On top of the fact that these are small mammal studies, they never went on to clinically observe or diagnose symptoms of Lyme infection. Nearly every study that has existed date asserting sexual transmission (and certainly, casual transmission) is built upon this flawed original.

I can't wait until the necessaries align so a few colleagues and myself can run a preliminary human observational study and hopefully put an end to this. I'm not going to say that I am 100% sure of anything, but all the various aggregate scientific data doesn't add up to the conclusion that alarms many here. I've mentioned it before in earlier posts, but... if it was really so easy to transmit and showed up in infective quantities in these fluids, there should not be difficulty diagnosing any Lyme patient, should there? If you can find active, easy to see easy to transmit antigen just floating in semen, urine, saliva or blood then there shouldn't be the issue we have today!

In conclusion, this is nothing new and exciting. It has been posted many, many times before and though I know that everyone who does is trying to act in the good of the community, I think it just isn't credible or logical to base alarm upon this.

Posts: 690 | From East coast, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annier1071     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe on that note blackstone this can end. It always turns into an ongoing saga.

Your right that "so many experts" have found spiros in urine, semem etc, yet they cant seem to find them in the blood tests (including mine)?

Let those who want to be in fear, live in fear..it is their choice and those who want to go out and live life, live. We were all born with the freedom of choice.

--------------------
Diagnosed with chronic neuro lyme 12/10 after 30 years of vertigo.2 tick bites in 3 yrs from upstate NY. Was on omincef for nine mths..zith and rifampin stopped.Remission~ All the pain and symptoms are back and I am not treating now with biaxin.

Posts: 788 | From New york..queens | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elizzza811
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elizzza811     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spirochetes only make a person sick when they are able to cross the blood-brain barrier, which I do not believe is an 'inborne' spirochetal talent. We have GIVEN spirochetes this talent through our use of artificial sources of electromagnetic radiation.

Depending on a person's exposure to electromagnetic/microwave radiation (heavy cell phone or cordless phone users, people who live close to a cell phone, wifi, radio, or TV antenna...)...that alone will determine how sick he or she becomes from any TBI. It's too bad so few here realize this and keep blaming the poor little spirochetes, spirochetes that are only confused and doing what they were electromagnetically told to do...

Studies on the Blood-Brain Barrier:
http://www.emfacts.com/electricwords/index-BBB.html

--------------------
Urge Congress on EMF Safety, FCC Must Change Exposure Guidelines for Microwave Radiation Exposure: http://tinyurl.com/2cjq54y
Halt Universal Broadband, A Public Health Hazard:
http://tinyurl.com/3x7xrmq

Posts: 495 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

the real interesting issue on the sexual transmission issue is that you don't really see unusually high cases of Lyme in sexually promiscuous populations (like prostitutes and gay men), as far as we know- it seems like the biggest risk factor is living in the suburbs, with their infected mice and birds and other animals that you don't even realize are a tick vector, coming into contact with your backyard.

The study I know of on this issue was looking at CFIDS (this was mentioned in an XMRV talk by a doctor at what I think was the last ILADS conference if I remember correctly), not Lyme, but the two diseases are frequently confused with each other, so it would seem that you'd have found a high number of cases of Lyme-misdiagnosed-as-CFIDS in that study. They didn't.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

Camp Other
Unregistered

elizzza811 said,

"Spirochetes only make a person sick when they are able to cross the blood-brain barrier, which I do not believe is an 'inborne' spirochetal talent. We have GIVEN spirochetes this talent through our use of artificial sources of electromagnetic radiation."

Can you please show me where you found this information, because I've never heard this before.

Stephen Barthold and other researchers have found that Lyme Borrelia bacteria - spirochetes - surpass parts of the immune system and go on to thrive in collagen-rich tissues including the adventitia in the heart. This is why some patients with Lyme disease develop a condition known as heart block.

Spirochetes are also partial to lower oxygen areas and like the synovial fluid found near joints - such as in the knees. This is what leads to Lyme arthritis.

And of course, infection of the brain leads to Neuroborreliosis, which is harder to treat.

But spirochetal infections definitely cause illness before they reach the brain, and are able to effectively do so through their ability to evade the immune system. Antigenic variation is one such mechanism - and it occurs both in body tissue as well as in the brain - based on research I've read thus far.

Let me look at your statements again...

"Spirochetes only make a person sick when they are able to cross the blood-brain barrier, which I do not believe is an 'inborne' spirochetal talent. We have GIVEN spirochetes this talent through our use of artificial sources of electromagnetic radiation."

So how does one explain the fact that syphilis made people ill before it hit the blood-brain barrier, or that relapsing fever did, too?

And that both made people ill - seriously so, in many cases fatally, especially in the case of relapsing fever in remote parts of Africa - either before we had so much electromagnetic radiation (historically) or in places where people have little to no access to the technology which generates it?

daystar1952
Member # 3255

EVERYONE....PLEASE READ THE LAST 2 PARAGRAPHS

Michael Tampa

I think it could have been a combination of both. However,we don't remember him having any arthritic symptoms. He was an avid gardener and seemed to have no problems moving around. With him it was the brain swelling, incontinence and dementia whcih started to be evident a couple of years before he passed on.

One thing I wanted to mention. I met a lady in the library one day about a year ago....she was a volunteer. I was taking out a book on Lyme disease and she began to tell me how she went to the best expert there was in Lyme disease....Allen Steere. My ears immediately perked up. She said that he treated her (I forget for how long) and then wanted to see her periodically to see how she was doing.....like she was being observed for a study.

Steere told this woman...after Steere supposedly treated her adequately according to him....that she should never ever donate blood again.To me that says that Steere knows that Lyme is chronic and or relapsing and that it can be passed through the blood supply.

Camp Other
Unregistered

Allen Steere has a long history of being duplicitous. I haven't been able to believe anything the man says, and he has been incredibly disrespectful to Lyme patients.

I do look at his research and patents though, because the truth is often there even as he won't speak it to the media. It becomes more evident what is going on when you look at the research of people around him as well as separate, independent research not related to his working groups.

elizzza811
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elizzza811     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Camp Other:
Can you please show me where you found this information, because I've never heard this before.

I stand corrected...spirochetes do cause disease before they reach the brain.

But please google the Bioinitiative Report if the studies above on the permeability of the blood-brain barrier weren't enough to convince you that this disease (Lyme) might be an offshoot of the wireless boom, whether spirochetes cross the blood-brain barrier or not, simply by affecting the functioning of our immune systems (which are 'rooted' and controlled by our brains). In fact, every bodily process is controlled by the brain, even the production of hormones and enzymes that remove plaque from the arteries, reduce inflammation in joints, etc... Hmmm? Maybe I won't stand corrected?

I have to ask though...did you even read any of those articles?

--------------------
Urge Congress on EMF Safety, FCC Must Change Exposure Guidelines for Microwave Radiation Exposure: http://tinyurl.com/2cjq54y

Posts: 495 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daystar1952
Member # 3255

I think that we need more studies to prove or disprove this. We do know however that not enough studies are being done to determine transmission through the placenta, breast milk, blood transmission, sex etc.

Is this because money is not made on studies in this area or is it because they want it to pass through the population for study purposes, symptomatic drug profits...and other possible reasons?This is why we need to keep raising awareness now and then. I haven't posted here in a while so I'm sorry if this subject has been repeated over and over.

"They" claim that there is no truth in transmission through the placenta....but from at least one Lyme Hearing testimony and from people's personal experiences we know that Lyme can be passed this way. Bringing up this subject of transmission is not for the purpose of sensationalism but to raise legitimate questions.

I am not trying to be an alarmist but I do think that perhaps Lyme may be being passed on by other insects and by other means besides through ticks.

Garth Nicolson claims that mycoplasma is found in 60% of Lyme patients. He also feels that mycoplasma(including mycoplasma fermentens) is passed through casual contact. He feels that it is not hotly contagious but that it takes repeated close contact to transmit the infection. Could mycoplasma infection be part of
the sometimes family clusters? Are mycoplasma and lyme symptoms similar ...or is one pathogen necessary...along with the other...to cause chronic disease?I asked 2 different mycoplasma experts if the cyst form of the spirochete could be the same thing as mycoplasma. Nicolson said no but Harold Clark said yes...it could be so.

There are just many more questions to ask and it is ok to keep bringing up these issues. We don't want to let these questions fade into oblivion.

But again...I don't think its something to fear but more of an alert to strengthen our immune systems. We desperately need to do that anyway.

Paul Mall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Mall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Experimental inoculation of dogs with Borrelia burgdorferi.

Burgess EC. Zentralbl Bakteriol Mikrobiol Hyg A 1986 Dec; 263(1-2): 49-54

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=3554844&dopt=Abstract

To determine if dogs could serve as a reservoir for Borrelia burgdorferi, three beagles were inoculated subcutaneously (SQ) with 200 laboratory cultured spirochetes which were originally isolated from blood of a Peromyscus leucopus from Ft. McCoy, Wisc.

One four month old beagle was inoculated SQ with 5 ground Ixodes dammini from Shelter Island, N.Y. which came from an area with a 50% B. burgdorferi tick infection rate; and another uninfected four month old beagle was housed loose on the floor with the tick inoculated dog.

All three spirochete inoculated beagles developed IFA antibody titers to B. burgdorferi of (7 log2) to (8 log2) by day 28 post inoculation.

All were apparently healthy and no spirochetes were cultured from the blood.

In an attempt to exacerbate the disease two of the dogs were given 3 mg of dexamethasone on day 68 post inoculation. B. burgdorferi was isolated from blood of all these dogs on days 4 and 97 days post inoculation.

The tick inoculated dog developed a B. burgdorferi IFA antibody titer of (10 log2) by day 14 post inoculation.

The contact exposed dog also developed a B. burgdorferi IFA antibody titer of (7 log2) on post contact day 21 indicating contact infection.

B. burgdorferi was not isolated from either of these dogs.

These results indicate that, contact transmission of B. burgdorferi may occur between dogs, dogs can be subclinically infected with B. burgdorferi and have persistent infections.

Posts: 925 | From Connecticut | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RESOLVED.
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RESOLVED.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by elizzza811:
[QB]

"It's too bad so few here realize this and keep blaming the poor little spirochetes, spirochetes that are only confused and doing what they were electromagnetically told to do..."

My husband thinks maybe we should make some hats out of aluminum foil and we'd really confuse those poor little spirochetes and their electromagnetic communication...(he says it also helps with alien abduction) [bonk]

Posts: 246 | From south florida | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Camp Other
Unregistered

elizzza811,

I have seen a number of those referenced links before, and found this page of somewhat more utility:

http://www.powerwatch.org.uk/science/studies.asp

It rates each study by whether or not it was inconclusive, provided supportive evidence that EMF had an impact, or showed EMF had no impact.
There are also complete PubMed links there.

I haven't looked into the EMF/RF issue much, though I do know being within a certain proximity to RF at a given field strength is unhealthy. Usually that level is pretty low once you are a given number of feet away from celltowers.

As for how this relates to Borrelia burgdorferi and brain infection, perhaps you need to explain your hypothesis to me.

You said, "But please google the Bioinitiative Report if the studies above on the permeability of the blood-brain barrier weren't enough to convince you that this disease (Lyme) might be an offshoot of the wireless boom, whether spirochetes cross the blood-brain barrier or not, simply by affecting the functioning of our immune systems (which are 'rooted' and controlled by our brains). In fact, every bodily process is controlled by the brain, even the production of hormones and enzymes that remove plaque from the arteries, reduce inflammation in joints, etc... Hmmm? Maybe I won't stand corrected?"

That's a lot of "if" statements and each one of them would need to be confirmed. My question is how do you tell the difference between a standard early disseminated case of neuroborreliosis versus one which has been influenced by RF?

Borrelia already has an ability to disseminate and escape detection by your immune system without the introduction of RF/EMF - so why add this element to it? Especially since the more virulent strains of Borrelia were present ages ago, before we had so many devices and systems producing EMF?

While I have looked at some of the EMF/RF research, I have not looked at the Bioinitiative site link you posted - if correct, the link takes me to a site asking me to pay to register before reading anything. If this information is so vital to the public, I think it should be free to view it.

Camp Other
Unregistered

RESOLVED.,

I see the humor in it, but at the same time... eek.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by annier1071:

Let those who want to be in fear, live in fear..it is their choice and those who want to go out and live life, live. We were all born with the freedom of choice.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

elizzza811
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24713

I didn't realize viewing the Bioinitiative Report now required a fee - it didn't used to, so I'm sorry about that. And as far as the jokes about aliens and aluminum foil hats, go ahead and joke...I'm pretty used to it by now, but I hope you're not crying one day instead of laughing, and I say that with sincerity.

I've read probably 10 books?...maybe more?...A LOT of books and HUNDREDS of articles on the subject of the NON-thermal biological effects of chronic exposure to man-generated sources of electromagnetic/microwave radiation, and I think the mistake so many people are making is to assume that a small effect is insignificant and equal to "no effect".

Also, the guidelines currently in place only take into consideration THERMAL effects. In other words, no heating of tissue equals 'safe'.

I guess how any studies are interpreted depends on whose interpretation you believe, too?...the interpretation of the researcher who did the study? Or the interpretation of the wireless-industry-hired physician(s) who interpreted the study? Would you hire an interpreter (and pay them) for telling the world that your product was potentially dangerous?...probably not, so you just keep searching until you find the perfect 'expert' who will dismiss any detrimental findings...and that's where the confusion comes in.

My ex-husband spent 6 years in the Navy working on radar and was a heavy cell phone user, too. He came home with headaches several times a week and also suffered periodic nosebleeds. He could go from being the nicest guy in the world to 'seeing red' (as he put it) and punching holes in the walls (or through me). A few years ago he was diagnosed with a brain tumor, and yes it was on the side of his head against which he'd hold his cell phone. I wasn't laughing then, and I'm not laughing today.

Read Dr. Robert O. Becker's 'The Body Electric' and 'Cross Currents'. If you realized how our current 'safety guidelines' were established, you'd be crying.

And though I risk more 'alien' jokes, Dr. Becker believes that healing and even regeneration of entire organ systems has one requirement...the proper polarity and voltage (or electricity) at the right times. Like me, he thinks people should be able to regenerate organs and limbs, just like salamanders do, and he already proved that bone tissue could be regenerated in this manner, so there's no reason to believe other tissues couldn't be regenerated as well.

The problem he faced while he was alive was that people didn't want to believe that the technology they loved so much and had come to depend on (our power grid, for one) could be so dangerous...and that's where we're at here, I guess. It's easier to joke about my claims than to consider the possibility that there might be some truth to them.

And at the risk of potentially wasting some (more?) of my own healing 'voltage' here, I'd like to ask one more question...

...how is it that people here on Lymenet can believe that Lyme Disease is this chronic infection that hides from the immune system and persists for years in spite of antibiotics, even though most of the 'experts' out there in place to protect us (the CDC, for one) claim it is easily cured? (Why would you distrust our sacred CDC?) Yet these same Lymenet-ers can blindly trust all the 'experts' who claim manmade EMFs are safe?

All it seems to take is one study for a thread to be going on Lyme Disease and 'casual contact', but hundreds of studies showing EMFs are dangerous fall on deaf ears? Am I missing something key here?

[ 03-07-2011, 08:34 AM: Message edited by: elizzza811 ]

--------------------

elizzza811
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24713

quote:
Originally posted by Camp Other:
Allen Steere has a long history of being duplicitous. I haven't been able to believe anything the man says, and he has been incredibly disrespectful to Lyme patients.

I do look at his research and patents though, because the truth is often there even as he won't speak it to the media. It becomes more evident what is going on when you look at the research of people around him as well as separate, independent research not related to his working groups.

I read this again, and I am convinced that you are very very very VERY close to understanding the EMF issue. If you have a stake in the truth getting out (like Steere, and the wireless industry), you tend to cover the truth up using (hired) researchers to support the cover-up.

--------------------

daystar1952
Member # 3255

I just finished reading the book "Zapped". I was asked to review it for The Price Pottenger Journal of Health and Healing. http://ppnf.org

The book talks about Electromagnetic pollution, how mild doses of it can harm us and how we can avoid alot of it by taking certain steps.
http://lymesentinel.blogspot.com/2011/03/zapped.html

Also...maybe its already been posted here but there is a short video where Klinghardt talks about emfs causing bacteria to grow.Scroll down to the bottom of the article at this link for the video http://lymesentinel.blogspot.com/2010/08/earthing-most-important-health.html

RESOLVED.
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RESOLVED.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
elizzza, I sincerely want to apologize if I appeared offensive in my remarks earlier. It was a moment of silly humor in dealing with a deadly disease. I DID NOT mean any disrespect to you, and can see how I appeared callous.

I absolutely believe that we are being harmed by all the electromagnetic stuff around us. I so appreciate everyone's input and information. I personally do not trust any "experts" on anything.

I think your comment about "poor little spirochetes" kind of got me going......I don't know..."poor little spirochetes" just appeared a little inane to me and well....

Sorry again, elizzza, really.

Posts: 246 | From south florida | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

All of this is very complicated stuff. Add on mycoplasmas, EMFs, populations of prostitutes, Allen Steere, etc. & it's a really heady mix...

I just wish they would stop all this animal experimentation. I know it's a necessity these days but reading about the poor beagles is nauseating (to me)... not to mention the "poor little spirochetes".

I'm sorry - this is important stuff but there's so much to consider here. I hate reading about the animal experiments. Yes, I do eat meat (which hopefully doesn't have spirochetes in it) - maybe I'm a hypocrite...?

I still don't think it's passed on casually. So many more people would be ill right now if it was. It would be huge - way bigger than cancer, AIDS, heart disease... I don't think that many people are ill just yet.

I do think the EMF issue is very important for a number of reasons but I'm not sure if it relates specifically to spirochetes & Lyme. I think you posted a link to something by Dr. K. I was looking for it but couldn't find it.

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Just found the link to Dr. K & his theories on EMF & Lyme. It's interesting in theory. I don't know what "civilization" is going to do to stop it. I don't think we can really escape it.

There are cell towers everywhere. Our homes are wired for electricity & most people have lots of appliances, tvs, phones, computers, etc.

There may have been other reasons why mold didn't grow as virulently under the silver mesh "farraday cage". Maybe the silver was prohibiting the mold growth? Silver is known to be a kind of antibiotic or maybe anti-fungal...

In a perfect world it would be nice to not live amongst EMFs. I don't see it as being a reality anytime soon unless there's a massive solar storm or EM pulse & it knocks out the power grid.

cleo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found this article about b. microti. I think it is very relevant to this conversation. I don't remember this article being posted.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2600371/

It concludes that soil can be a source of infection.

Posts: 433 | From new york | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have four, soon five, grandkids. I chose to think that this disease *might*, emphasis on MIGHT, be more easily transmitted than many of us would like to believe.

Because I never, EVER want to see my precious grandkids grow up with this evil, dastardly disease, I take all precautions when cooking, eating, drinking, etc. I don't share the same glass or utensils with my grandkids. When my hands are dry and have cuts in them, I prepare meals with gloves so that none of the blood transfers into their food.

Call me paranoid if you want, but, think about it, do you want to gamble your grandkids lives on the assumption that this disease is not as easily transmitted as some have come to believe, in spite of what some research shows? We don't really know how easily this disease is transmitted. The final word in not yet in.

Because of that, I chose to play it safe and be extra cautious when my grandkids come to our home. It's all about them, not me.

Gary

[ 03-11-2011, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: gwb ]

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

cleo - the article is about Brucella microti not Babesia microti. They are different.
cleo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6646

Yes I know. Brucellosis is also a coinfection of lyme. I am just pointing out that you can get alot of these infections without being bitten by a tick or having casual contact.

http://drsusanmarra.com/TickBorneInfections/Brucella.aspx

http://sites.google.com/site/drjoneskids/tick-borne-diseases/brucellosis

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement