LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Epsom salt bath and Sulpha allergy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Epsom salt bath and Sulpha allergy?
tickled1
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG, I took an epsom salt bath Friday and when I got out the skin on my neck felt like it was burning.

Saturday, out of the blue I had an episode where my heart started racing, couldn't see straight, just felt very sick overall and then my skin started burning and inside of lips and nose.

Now this has been happening ever since and I'm a mess. I don't know what to do. I have a call in to my doctor. Not primary care but chronic illness doctor. Feel like regular doc wouldn't know what to do w/this as usual. Hopefully my doctor checks her messages soon.

Could this be a sulpha allergy? If so, am I in big trouble? I read this could be very serious.

I originally thought the reaction was b/c I ate nuts on Wednesday and I'm allergic but think the reaction would have been more immediate. But my allergy test results were for delayed reaction and I read that can happen that long after.

Has anyone here w/a sulpha allergy had this type of reaction to an epsom salt bath?

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you shower after the epsom salt bath? Important to do so.
I don't know if you are having a reaction to it or not, it's possible you might be. Here's a link that has a list of allergic reactions to sulpha.

http://www.a1-allergies.com/sulfa-drug-allergy.html

Some abx have sulpha in it too. Bactrim is one of them. Lot's of things have sulpha in it, so you can't really rule out other things yet until you know for sure. But to be safe, best you not take epsom salt baths until you know whether or not you are allergic to it.

Usually if a person has a reaction to epsom salt they will get over it soon. As long as you aren't having problems breathing and your heart rate slows down, I suspect you'll be fine. But your doctor has to make the ultimate call on this and hopefully she'll return your call soon.

There are other detox baths you can take that don't have sulpha in them. Google detox baths and you'll find a number of them. I think there are a few listed here too if you do a search on it.

Sorry for the reaction you're having. Hope it clears up soon.

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Gary,

No, I did not rinse off after the epsom salt bath. Stupid, I know. I was in a hurry and had to pick up my daughter. I'm such and idiot. You know, sometimes the most obvious things escape me.

I'm not having trouble breathing but my heart feels like it's skipping beats and my mouth and nose are burning, and my skin and my head feels funny. The bath was 3 days ago! If I'm not having difficulty breathing, you think I'll be ok? I wonder when this will go away.

I have an appointment this afternoon with my primary care. If nothing else I'll make her run bloodwork to check my liver as I recently finished a 3 wk. course of diflucan. I'm always reluctant to go to primary care as they are usually no help.

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
laura, I don't really know what to make of your symptoms. Are you on abx now?

I never experienced the burning in my mouth or nose, nor do I recall having any skin symptoms other than having severely dry skin.

I have experienced head symptoms, but not sure what symptoms you are experiencing. I've also experienced my heart skipping beats (palpitations).

When I had head symptoms is was a pressure feeling on the left side along with a kind of creepy crawly sensation. My biological doctor tested me for ammonia. I was loaded with ammonia because I had not adequately detoxed in five years of treatment. The head pressure and heart skipping beats are symptoms of ammonia in the brain. I had it in the brain, liver and (I forget which other organ it was now).

I had not really done any detoxing until I went to him because I really didn't know how. When he gave me some remedies, and told me to take detox baths, that got rid of the ammonia, as a result, it got rid of the head pressure and heart skipping, which I would describe more as heart palpitations. Is that what you're experiencing?

If you are toxic you could very well have ammonia in your body and organs, but I don't know because I don't know what protocol you're on or what detox methods you are using. Maybe with more information I could give you some better answers, but seriously, your best option is to tell your doctor what you're experiencing and see what she has to say about it.

If you're seeing a LLMD, I hope she has experience with supplements, detox and stuff like this because many LLMD's only know how to hand out abx. That's just a small part of the treatment. Detoxing and taking the right supplements and minerals is also important too.

Wish I could be more helpful.

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baileypup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baileypup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am allergic to sulfa, and take epsom salts/hydrogen peroxide baths, with no adverse effect.

I agree with Gary, you must rinse off, otherwise it leaves the toxins on your skin to be reabsorbed.

Posts: 964 | From san diego | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfed Out     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
laura,

I have a tough time with Epsom Salt baths too. I never had anything that severe as far as burning, however I never left it completely on me...(not a jab) [Smile]

In my experience, I did a 15-20 minute bath. My skin turned red and kind of flaky. I immediately felt more fatigued. Then I started having what seemed like cold symptoms appear over the next couple days. I may have even had an increase in heart palpitations as well.

Little hard to remember, because it was about a year ago. Just try to relax. Everything should calm down soon, but call your doctor just to tell him what happened and go from there.

Feel Better Soon!

Posts: 829 | From MD | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raw vegan runner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for raw vegan runner   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am also allergic to Sulfa and take epsom salt baths almost daily with no issue...I hope you figure this out!
Posts: 206 | From In the shadow of a mountain | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

My daughter has a rash that I just found out is strep. I wonder if I'm having some kind of weird reaction to being exposed to strep. I started abx last night just to be on the safe side. I've been off abx for quite some time.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement