LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Babesia WA-1 and Duncani

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Babesia WA-1 and Duncani
Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfed Out     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today, I got a negative for Babesia Duncani through Igenex.

But, I have a positive for Babesia WA-1 through LapCorp.

Aren't they the same thing!?!?

Posts: 829 | From MD | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, endless people get this positive through LabCorp. I'm highly, highly suspicious of the validity of the test now. I too have a positive test.

What's your symptoms though? Babesia-like?

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How would you test positive anywhere if there was not something there for the test to read?

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfed Out     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read somewhere that we can have antibodies to Babesia in the blood, but that doesn't mean we're fighting an active infection. If this is true with the LabCorp test, I do not know.

seekhelp,

I gotta tell you. I just don't know anymore. I did not have night sweats before starting any medications, I'm starting to figure out my chest pain is more related to esophagus-heartburn crap, I only get the woozy/drunk feeling when I'm taking a Macrolide.

I may be backwards rationalizing, but the only definitive thing I have is a Fry Lab smear showing haemobartonella, some other unknown protozoa just chilling in my RBC, and a positive for WA-1 through Labcorp..

Posts: 829 | From MD | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, what kind of tests were these? That would be useful to know.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

Which tests, lou? I named the test and the company that did all of them.
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For what it's worth, Igenex did not find my Babesia. But Fry Labs found it.

I have B.microti. I've never tested for Babesia through LapCorp.

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marypart
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marypart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son tested positive for WA-1. I think it was Quest, but I'm not sure.

He doesn't have night sweats... but he keeps getting anemic. Is anemia a sign of Babesia... or could it be Lyme or Bartonella?

Headaches, too.

--------------------
Son, 26, Dx Lyme 4/10, Babs 8/10
Had serious arthritis, all gone.
Currently on Valtrex
Daughter, 26,bullseye 7/11
arthritis in knees, cured and off all meds. .
Self:Lyme, bart, sxs gone, no longer treating.

Posts: 496 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Were they antibody tests or antigen (PCR or Fish)?

An antibody test looks for your body's response to the pathogen. It can be old exposure or current. A Fish or PCR looks for the pathogen itself, and will reveal current infection.

Like the difference between a bear and its footprint that you might see on the ground, with the bear long gone (or close by).

But chronic infections with babesia tend to be hard to find, so a negative PCR or Fish can be false negative.

In the good old days, the Bowen lab looked for the parasite itself in blood smears on slides under a microscope, and they spent a long time doing it. No one else will do this now, so the tests we have available at this point are the ones described above.

Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

I see. I should be more specific then.

-----

LabCorp WA1 IgG Antibody, IFA 1:256 H (POSITIVE)

-----

IGeneX B. duncani IFA [G/M]

"immunofluorescent antibody test"

IgM < 20 Negative
IgG < 40 Negative

IgM = 40-160 May indicated active infection

IgG or IgM > 160 suggests active infection.

lou
Member # 81

So basically you had two antibody tests that were contradictory.

Be nice if testing were the foolproof method that the public thinks it is.

At this point, you can either try for a PCR or Fish test to look for the actual germ, with the chance of false negatives, or go by symptoms.

t9im
Member # 25489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for t9im   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Babesia is hard to detect, never mind the strain.

Our LLMD indicated a CA lab ran a test 7 times from the same blood with the 1st 6 negative and the 7th positive.

There is a reason one can't rely on the test and you have to go by a clinical diagnosis.

If you have a positive test all the better so you at least know you have it.

--------------------
Tim

Posts: 1111 | From Glastonbury, CT | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is an interesting article by Focus Lab:
http://cvi.asm.org/cgi/content/short/17/11/1729

Focus Lab tests for WA1, so you might consider getting retested through them and see what they find:
http://www.focusdx.com/focus/1-reference_laboratory/search_frame.asp?searchOptionScope=2&S1=1&S2=1&test=&sp=41040&Keyword=41040

Best, Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timaca, LabCorp IS sending this test directly to Focus Labs. [Smile] It says so on my results. The question is if having a positive result means a damn thing from a health perspective or if everyone is exposed to this organism.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Seekhelp~ I don't think "everyone" is exposed to Babesia WA1. If you read the study that I posted a link to, 2% of 900 specimens were positive for WA1. 27% of blood sent in for WA1 testing was positive for WA1.

Your first point is an important one...does having a high antibody titer mean anything?

In my personal journey to get well, I'm testing for lots of pathogens, and treating the ones with the highest antibody titers first. I have several of those pathogens, so my doctors and I have been busy.

If, after doing a lot of testing, I only had high antibody titers to WA1 (or any other pathogen) and I was sick, I'd treat that pathogen and see if I got better.

I feel your pain. I know that this is a hard puzzle to figure out.

Best, Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon-Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the same LabCorp result for WA-1 as you do.

Not everyone tests positive for it (according to studies), but it does seem to be more common that one would think. Has anyone here ever tested negative via LabCorp/Focus?

It could be something similar to Igenex vs regular labs. Those submitting samples for WA-1 testing will be those who strongly suspect Babesia, so it wouldn't be uncommon to have a higher rate of positives. Still... who knows?

One other option is to see if you can get tested from Sonoma Labs in CA, as they do the WA-1 thing too. But I'm not sure if that's for local people only or not.

Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Lemon-Lyme, it's for CA residents only I heard. No luck. You are correct, those tested for it most surely would be more likely to have it as it's a pretty obscure disease. Well, I guess if 2% of the normal blood supply has it, that's not THAT obscure. Hmmm.

However, when positive there never = positive at Igenex for the same test, it's awfully suspect IMO. It's sure not like Igenex is known for suppressing positives. lol. The king lab of positive Lyme WBs.

nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried Bactrim DS? It is somewhat effective against babesia and bartonella. If your symptoms of dizziness etc worsen, it is probably a herx and not a side effect.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

If you're asking me, nef, Bactrim DS is the GOD of antibiotics for me. That and Rifampin.

I don't herx off it at all anymore, but if I try to get off of it, symptoms worsen -- anxiety, fatigue, vasoconstriction, mental exhaustion are a few symptoms I can think of off the top of my head.

But, I'm not convinced I'm hitting Babesia.

Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon-Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for Igenex, has anyone ever written them and asked for an explanation why they'd come back negative from them, yet positive from a different lab? I expect they'll just say the other lab is faulty (or theirs is more accurate) -- but maybe it's something to do with the strains checked, or cross-reactivity, etc.?

And I think nefferdun has the right idea -- med trial and see how you react.

Have you tried mepron or malarone? Things that should primarily just hit babesia?

Bactrim sorta killed me when I tried it (couldn't take it more than 5-6 days), but I just started Mepron two weeks ago.

By around the 5th day or so, I started feeling a little extra sickly... breathing slightly worse... a bit dizzy and what I'd describe as 'hot flashes' or feeling a little feverish, but those feelings would come and go.

But I have no idea if that's a herx, side effect of medication, or simply because I'm no longer on Doxy.

Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blinkie
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wolfed-interesting that you like rifampin and bactrim. I got 100% well on that combo after treating lyme for two years.

I live in Ca but have never taken a babesia Duncani test. So, not sure if I'm fightin babesia either. But, my remaining symptoms point to some type of parasitic infection as I respond mostly to anti parasitics.

Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement