LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » For radiation exposure - just in case...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: For radiation exposure - just in case...
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Potassium Iodide (KI)

The FDA Guideline suggests: "For the sake of logistical simplicity in the dispensing and administration of KI to children, FDA recommends a 65-mg. dose as standard for all school-age children while allowing for the adult dose (130 mg., 2 X 65 mg. tablets) in adolescents approaching adult size."

----

People living in CA & the West Coast may be exposed to increased radiation if there is a meltdown in Japan. You may want to take extra Potassium Iodide (KI).

FYI - http://www.ki4u.com/#77

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up

Praying for Japan!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes... It's very sad. I feel so sorry for the people who lost loved ones or their homes, everything.

I wonder how it will effect Japanese products. Many of us use Japanese chlorella, seaweed & other products. How about seafood & seaweed from the Pacific?

I think they used a product called modifilan in Russia after Chernobyl.

http://www.naturodoc.com/library/detox/Modifilan-about.htm

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Also - if these places are leaking radiation, it's going to effect everyone to some degree.

I heard the west coast is going to have an increase of radiation from all of this. How much...? I don't know for sure.

May be good to take some iodide or some other high iodine products, foods... just as a preventitive measure.

Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a food chart on this link that has food sources of iodine:

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/minerals/iodine/

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sk8ter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sk8ter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we tried to buy potassium iodide yesterday and everyone on the web and stores is sold out...I went to the manufacturer and ordered there. I don't know how long it will take....I should of done it earlier.
My dad was a nuclear physicist and he said buy it . When he says that I listen.

The manufacturer is Anbex, Inc... Life Extension makes some too but they are out now...if they are NOT in the foil wraps they lose their potency quickly once bottled ones are opened.

Posts: 871 | From orange county, ca. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5vforest
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5vforest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure, better safe than sorry, but:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/story/2011/03/12/canadian-radiation-fallout-concern.html

Posts: 340 | From san francisco, ca | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doctor has me on iodine since I'm low on it. Seems Vitacost is not out of stock and it's a good brand:

http://www.vitacost.com/biotics-research-liquid-iodine/?csrc=gpf-759292217307&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=759292217307

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

re: 5vforest - I don't know... seems like there's alot of conflicting info about the whole issue...

I'd have to know more about nuclear physics & all of that to know for sure.

You may want to do a search of "MOX Fuel". It doesn't sound too good for all involved.

---

Yes, I have some liquid iodide/iodine. I've been taking it for a while for thyroid support. It's not as high a dose as the pills, though. sk8ter says it may not be as potent, either...

3 drops = 150mcg - the adult dose - for radiation exposure - is 130 grams (not micrograms)!

[ 03-14-2011, 01:44 AM: Message edited by: sparkle7 ]

stork
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24167

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doubtful that this will be a real threat to any of us, unless we are dependent upon japanese health products (chlorella maybe)

even if there is a release, the amount of downwind distribution of radioactive particulates will never reach chernobyl levels because of the absence of fine particulates in this case.

--------------------
long road since 2010
abx got me over the hump
diet, detox, and herbs have got me to heal

Posts: 174 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

FYI -

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/14/world/asia/japan-fukushima-nuclear-reactor.html?_r=1

Radioactive Releases in Japan Could Last Months, Experts Say

excerpt-

But Pentagon officials reported Sunday that helicopters flying 60 miles from the plant picked up small amounts of radioactive particulates � still being analyzed, but presumed to include cesium-137 and iodine-121 � suggesting widening environmental contamination.

---

More steam releases also mean that the plume headed across the Pacific could continue to grow. On Sunday evening, the White House sought to tamp down concerns, saying that modeling done by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission had concluded that �Hawaii, Alaska, the U.S. Territories and the U.S. West Coast are not expected to experience any harmful levels of radioactivity.�

But all weekend, after a series of intense interchanges between Tokyo and Washington and the arrival of the first American nuclear experts in Japan, officials said they were beginning to get a clearer picture of what went wrong over the past three days. And as one senior official put it, �under the best scenarios, this isn�t going to end anytime soon.�

The essential problem is the definition of �off� in a nuclear reactor. When the nuclear chain reaction is stopped and the reactor shuts down, the fuel is still producing about 6 percent as much heat as it did when it was running, caused by continuing radioactivity, the release of subatomic particles and of gamma rays.

Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have bottles of iodine as a thyroid supplement. I am always looking for ways to help as I've had WAY too much radiation due to tons of CT scans and xrays. I wonder if I should start taking that iodine, if it will help with old radiation? I also know Miso is helpful.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

More -

http://large.stanford.edu/publications/coal/references/koshoji/

Japan Pursues Plutonium-Based Fuel

http://www.upiasia.com/Security/2009/04/06/Japan_pursues_plutonium-based_fuel/1602/

By Hiroyuki Koshoji
April 6, 2009

excerpt -

MOX fuel is made by mixing plutonium extracted from nuclear spent fuel with uranium.

--

Some citizen groups have raised concerns as to the safety of the technology, as high technical precision is required to handle plutonium. An accident involving MOX fuel could be far more damaging than one with uranium, experts agree, as it emits 200 times more radiation.

--

Japan was expected to start burning MOX fuel in 16 to 18 commercial reactors by 2010. However, that plan also went off course when a scandal exposed in 1999 that British Nuclear Fuels had fabricated quality assurance data for MOX fuel exported to Japan.

Tokyo Electric Power Co., which had planned to load MOX fuel into its commercial reactors, also spread distrust of nuclear energy among Japanese citizens in 2002 when it was discovered to have covered up a series of technical problems. So far, only seven reactors are ready to begin burning the fuel, including the Genkai plant.

A citizens� group in Saga prefecture, where the first reactor to be loaded with MOX fuel is located, aims to collect 400,000 signatures to stop the project and plans a huge protest rally in May to coincide with the arrival of the fuel tankers.

The Rokkasho Reprocessing Plant in the northern region of Aomori, which was the first commercial plant in a nonnuclear-weapon state, has also experienced troubles. Last year scientists said the plant was located above an active geological fault, sparking fears that an earthquake could damage the plant and release radiation.

Such fears are not unfounded in an earthquake-prone country that has 54 nuclear reactors in all. In July 2007 a 6.8-magnitude earthquake shook the Kashiwazaki-Kariwa Nuclear Power Station north of Tokyo, which was the world's largest nuclear power plant in terms of electricity generation. The plant was damaged by the tremors and all seven of its reactors still remain inactive.

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Ideas for remediation -

Combatting radiation poisoning tips:

Chelating (detoxifying) excess ionizing radiation & destructive radioactivity from your body and treating radiation burns naturally

http://www.healingcancernaturally.com/chelating-ionizing-radiation.html

sparkle7
Member # 10397

One more thing so I don't forget -

http://www.bt.cdc.gov/radiation/prussianblue.asp

excerpt -

Prussian blue

Facts About Prussian blue

Prussian blue can remove certain radioactive materials from people�s bodies, but must be taken under the guidance of a doctor.

People may become internally contaminated (inside their bodies) with radioactive materials by accidentally ingesting (eating or drinking) or inhaling (breathing) them, or through direct contact (open wounds). The sooner these materials are removed from the body, the fewer and less severe the health effects of the contamination will be.

Prussian blue is a substance that can help remove certain radioactive materials from people�s bodies. However, small amounts of contamination may not require treatment. Doctors can prescribe Prussian blue if they determine that a person who is internally contaminated would benefit from treatment.

What Prussian blue is

Prussian blue was first produced as a blue dye in 1704 and has been used by artists and manufacturers ever since. It got its name from its use as a dye for Prussian military uniforms. Prussian blue dye and paint are still available today from art supply stores.

People SHOULD NOT take Prussian blue artist�s dye in an attempt to treat themselves. This type of Prussian blue is not designed to treat radioactive contamination and is not made for that purpose.

People who are concerned about the possibility of being contaminated with radioactive materials should go to their doctors for advice and treatment.

chiquita incognita
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everybody
Without in any way minimizing the seriousness of the situation at hand, and so sorry for the people who have lost loved ones or just plain been traumatized...

Here is one word of personal experience.

In the 1986 (or was it 1989?) earthquake in CA my inlaws lived right at the epicenter.

*One row* of houses had jumped off their foundations. No other damage anywhere, and I speak having been there in person and seen it with my own two eyes.

Guess what? The houses that jumped off their foundations had not been bolted down to begin with. Duh!

The media zero'd in on this *one row* and made it sound like it was devastation absolutely all over the place. Photographic proof, you know!

This is typical of the media. They love drama and of course, it sells their product.

While again I don't want to make light of the gravity of the situation at hand, and particularly of the trauma to the people----I really feel for them very deeply----I am at least hoping that this is a media trick once again and that we are all being led to believe that the situation with the radiation leak is far worse than it really is.

I could be wrong, very wrong, and I am quite aware of that fyi.

For radiation exposure:

Linda Rector Page, ND has a page about this (with bullet points so a lot of info is crammed in to it) in her book Healthy Healing, a reference book in healthfood stores nation-wide. You can read there about how to protect yourself from radiation and many healthfood stores will let you photocopy the pages in their reference books, if you ask.

I recently read about milk thistle's role in protecting from environmental radiation and from side effects from radiation therapy---oy,what a sore subject this incredible and provenly non-toxic herb has become on this website!

People are free to make up their own minds, and they must. I support anybody following their own beliefs and their own doctor's instructions, that's a no-brainer of course.

For myself personally, I trust the sources who wrote the drug-herb-interaction book I referenced previously. I have seen them in action in person, attended seminars et al, and know of their astuteness of knowledge and their integrtiy. So I trust the source.

For those of you who remain concerned, I say follow your own beliefs and your doctor' s instructions and all will be okay in the end, no matter what.

Best wishes, CI ps thank you for posting this *very thoughtful* thread, Sparkle!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Modifilan (brown seaweed)
Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelp is good for radiation exposure. My Sister had to have a radioactive thyroid scan and didn't know she shouldn't take kelp before the scan. The doctor gave her radioactive iodine to take the night before the test. The next morning, the doctor was mad at her for taking the kelp because the kelp removed the radioactive iodine, thus the test was a bust.

Make sure any kelp you buy/eat is from clean waters, washed, and dried in the sun. Heat-dried kelp won't have the active, organic minerals necessary to support good thyroid function.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I absolutely don't think the horrendous destruction in Japan is a "media trick".

Call me the fool, but I actually believe that after a 9.0 earthquake and countless powerful aftershocks, followed by a tsunami with a 30 foot wall of water crashing the coast line and traveling inland for up to 3 miles, this is not the media trying to fool us with camera tricks.

I believe there are massive amounts of people suffering - many dead - many missing- many going on 4 days with little to no water and food, no electric, no home, no heat and now with several reactors blowing up spewing radiation, it is, at the very least, a dire situation.

Combine Katrina with 911 and you might get an idea of what I see is happening there.

In my wildest dreams I can't believe this is a "media trick".

In my opinion, prayers and a serious call to action are in order to help the folks who are suffering.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

I think whatever we can do to help ourselves is a good thing. It's just that MOX is not "regular" radioactive waste - so, iodide & other things may be ineffective.

FYI -

http://www.nirs.org/reactorwatch/mox/puupdat4.txt

4. The Health and Environmental Effects of the Use of MOX

#Specific Dangers of Plutonium

Plutonium does not exist in the natural environment, and is only
produced in nuclear reactors. It is known as one of the most
toxic elements. It emits high energy alpha radiation, and has
harmful biological effects.

Alpha radiation has a very short range but very intense
ionization power. If exposed on the surface of the skin, the
skin works as a shield and will prevent its penetration into the
body, but all of its ionizing power will be focused on the small
spot, causing burns and killing the skin tissue.

If inhaled
into the body, the alpha particle will go in through the
respiratory tract, and enter the lung. Due to its long
half-life, it will stay in the body permanently, emitting alpha
radiation, and killing the surrounding tissues by strong
ionization.

If plutonium is taken into the body in soluble form
(e.g. plutonium nitrate) through food chain, it will enter the
blood stream, and into the bones, liver and genital organs where
it will be enriched. Alpha radiation leads to reactions in the
cells of living things. It can cause damage to the nucleus and
DNA of the cell, in effect causing genetic damage in descendants,
particularly if germ cells are affected.(15)

#Dangers of Resuspension in the Environment

In the event of a contamination of the environment with
plutonium, the whirling up and inhalation of plutonium particles,
known as resuspension, plays an important role.

If there is a
road traffic, building work or cleaning work at the plutonium
contaminated site, plutonium can enter the body through the
respiratory tract.

Generally, the more whirled up, the greater
the dose intake per quantity of plutonium on the ground. If
there is fire, and plutonium becomes airborne into fine aerosol
particles, plutonium contamination of the environment will extend
to a far larger scale, landing on ground, contaminating a vast
wider area. Plutonium remains effective over very long periods
affecting the health of the people and the environment.(16)

#Accident Scenario When Burning MOX

Accidents involving overheating and meltdown are possible in any
nuclear reactors. In such accidents, not only would readily
volatile noble gases, like iodine and caesium be released
to the environment, but a small portion of the actinides,
including plutonium and neptunium would be released. As the
activity of the actinides is substantially higher in the case of
MOX, the consequences of such severe accidents become more
serious.

When MOX fuels are used, the probability of having such serious
accidents or trouble would increase due to the high content of
plutonium in the fuel. Even if an accident is not a serious one,
it could become serious since even a small portion of the
inventory of actinides released to the environment could cause
significant radiological consequences.

According to a comparative analysis of possible consequences of a
core meltdown accident in the German Kruemmel nuclear power plant
with and without the use of MOX fuel(17):
*The radiation exposure from inhalation of radioactive materials
during the passage of the radioactive cloud is higher by several
dozen percent than if uranium fuel elements were exclusively
used.

*Radiation exposure through the route of inhalation of
remobilized long-lived actinide isotopes is more than doubled.
*The land areas to become out of use by long-term contamination
increases as the resuspension pathway is a limiting factor and
the greater part of the dose resulting from the pathway comes
from the actinides.(18)

---

Yes, the media can be manipulative. There seems to be alot of "back & forth" in the media. They show a picture of a plant obviously blowing up & then they say there's no danger... People exposed to radiation & evacuations, yet, everything is OK...

This is some kind of stalling or confusion tactic in my mind. I can only guess what the reasons might be. In my mind - it doesn't look good. I think things are being suppressed rather than over emphasised.

MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The biotics brand is a very low dose, just 75 mcg. Many feel 12.5 mg/day is much more realistic, and is what has worked for me.

My energy testing has shown I need 1 tablet of 12.5mg/day, been constant for several months now, despite other supplements coming and going, needing more or needing less. Now starting today my energy testing says I need 2 tablets per day. A coincidence?

Iodoral brand has 12.5mg and also 50mg. They are sold out on vitacost, but looks like a few of the smaller places still have some in stock.

Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

update -

cesium-137 and iodine-131 - From what I have read, you need potassium to counteract cesium-137...

(fyi - http://www.jstor.org/pss/3579543 )

------

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ultimate-impact-of-damage-to-japan-nuclear-reactors-still-unknown/2011/03/13/ABbwoBU_story.html?hpid=z1

Ultimate impact of damage to Japan nuclear reactors still unknown

By Brian Vastag, Sunday, March 13, 11:20 PM

The detection of the highly radioactive elements cesium-137 and iodine-131 outside the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant heralds the beginning of an ecological and human tragedy. The open question is whether it will be limited, serious or catastrophic.

In the best case, operators will pump enough seawater and other coolants into the stricken reactor cores to squelch overheating. Such a success would prevent further releases of radiation beyond the unknown amount spewed into the air by controlled venting and the explosion of reactor containment buildings Saturday and Monday.

In such a hoped-for scenario, the only casualties would probably be the handful of plant workers reported Sunday to be suffering from acute radiation sickness. But there�s also the immense anxiety triggered by the incident and the toll of the subsequent evacuation on nearby residents.

The consequences of the most dire scenarios are much harder to estimate. They include the loss of the facility, an expensive local cleanup � a foregone conclusion � and a wide-scale disaster that renders the countryside around the plant uninhabitable for decades.

�There is a worst case, and then the question is, �Is there a worst case beyond the worst case?� � said Gilbert Brown, a nuclear engineer at the University of Massachusetts at Lowell.

If the last-ditch efforts to cool the reactors fail, the heavy cylindrical cores � each containing tons of radioactive fuel � could flare to hotter than 4,000 degrees and melt through the layers of steel and cement engineered to contain them.

Such a meltdown might be underway, said Arnie Gunder sen, chief engineer at the consulting firm Fairewinds Associates. Gundersen has 39 years of experience in the nuclear energy business and helps oversee the Vermont Yankee nuclear plant, whose reactors are the same vintage and design as those of the stricken Fukushima Daiichi unit 1.

Gundersen said an intense battle to cool the cores is playing out in the control rooms of the facility. Operators have �got to keep pouring in saltwater, and they�re hoping they will get enough cooling going� to prevent a total meltdown.

If a full meltdown occurs, a huge molten lump of radioactive material would burn through all containment, destroy the building and fall to the ground, exposed. A toxic stew of exotic radioactive particles would then spread on the wind and rain.

The dangers posed by such a disaster rest on two factors: the amount of radioactive material released and the weather.

On Sunday, the International Atomic Energy Agency offered a spot of good news. The prevailing winds at Daiichi are blowing to the northeast, out to sea, and should continue to do so for the next three days.

�If the wind carries the emissions to sea, that will certainly minimize the human and environmental impacts in Japan,� said Timothy Mousseau of the University of South Carolina, who has spent the past decade studying the ecological consequences of the 1986 Chernobyl disaster.

Such emissions would not endanger the United States, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) announced Sunday in a statement. Given the thousands of miles between the countries, the United States is �not expected to experience any harmful levels of radioactivity.� In other words, the danger could simply dissipate over the Pacific.

It�s impossible to know how a plume of radioactivity traveling over the ocean might affect sea life, said Edwin Lyman, a senior scientist at the Union of Concerned Scientists, which strongly opposes nuclear power. He said there has been virtually no research done into the subject.

But if luck turns south and the winds do, too, radioactive particles could be spread far across Honshu, Japan�s largest island, and beyond.

Lyman said that simulations he has run on possible nuclear disasters in the United States estimate �tens of thousands of cancer deaths� from a total meltdown, although arriving at a figure is fraught with layers of uncertainty.

A 2005 census counted 103 million people on Honshu, including the population of Tokyo, which lies 150 miles to the southwest of Fukushima Daiichi.

Lyman�s simulations, which rely on NRC computer code, show that unfavorable winds could spread radioactivity far beyond the 12.5-mile evacuation zone, much as happened at Chernobyl in 1986.

In that disaster, a reactor exploded and a fire raged for 10 days, sending radioactive particles hundreds of miles afield. That catastrophe is the only one ever to rate a 7 on a 7-point international scale of nuclear disasters. The Japanese nuclear drama has been initially rated a 4, but researchers look to the Chernobyl explosion for clues to what the impact might be.

As a debate continues over the ultimate human and ecological toll of Chernobyl, there is some scientific consensus that at least 6,000 to 7,000 excess cases of thyroid cancer have occurred in the 25 years since. Because cancer can take decades to develop, 25 years �is not enough time to see long-term impacts on human populations,� Mousseau said.

The increased thyroid cancer was the result of the kind of broad food-chain contamination that can arise from a nuclear incident. Cows ate grass exposed to iodine-131 and then produced radioactively hazardous milk that was unknowingly fed to children, who are most at risk of thyroid cancer.

About 180,000 people were permanently displaced around Chernobyl, and this �exclusion zone� within 30 kilometers of the reactor will need to be maintained for �decades to come,� concluded a 2005 report by the Chernobyl Forum, a high-level international body organized to dispense the final word on the catastrophe.

Ecologists also debate the toll on wildlife in the exclusion zone, where radiation lingers. Mousseau and colleagues found �many fewer species than you expect, the species that are there occur in much lower numbers, and there are much higher rates of genetic mutations� than in unaffected areas.

Mousseau�s latest research paper documents damage to 50 species of birds, including smaller-than-normal brains in some.

Of the dozens of radioactive elements, or isotopes, spewed from a total meltdown, four present special dangers:

lIodine-131 accumulates in the thyroid but will radioactively decay relatively quickly, so little is left in the environment after a few months.

lCesium-137, in contrast, lingers for decades and dissolves in water, meaning it can mix with rain, enter the soil and groundwater and be taken up by plants and animals.

lStrontium-90 poses a deeper health risk. It behaves like calcium in the body, so it can accumulate in bones and teeth.

lPlutonium-241 presents a more insidious threat. It is not very toxic, but as it slowly decays, it produces the much more dangerous isotope americium-241.

Mousseau said concentrations of americium are still increasing in Ukraine and Belarus, where unspent plutonium fuel from Chernobyl dispersed. �It looks like [americium-241] will peak in about 2050 in these areas,� he said.

And so, 25 years after the worst nuclear disaster in history, the ultimate cost remains unknown.

Razzle
Member # 30398

Antioxidants can help also with cancer prevention. Clove essential oil has the highest score on the ORAC scale vs. anything else known. But one must not take large amounts of clove oil at a time because there can be side-effects (vomiting, etc.). So be careful, and always consult your doctor before changing your supplements and/or meds.

--------------------
-Razzle

MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Iodoral (and some other high quality iodine supplements) has potassium iodide, so perhaps would helpful with both radioactive cesium and iodide.

I am up to 3 tablets for today. Don't know how much this is affecting healthy people, but it is clearly affecting me.

Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

re: Don't know how much this is affecting healthy people, but it is clearly affecting me.

-

In what way? I don't think the radioactivity has reached the US, yet. I could be mistaken....?

-

There's some good info on this website. I don't think she wants people to post quotes, though.

http://ingridnaiman.com/subscription_lists/chronological_index.html

Look at the last 3 emails posted.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement