LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Stuborn Constipation-- Very

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stuborn Constipation-- Very
WhitneyS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhitneyS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this topic has been covered before and I have read ALL the posts already and i'm looking for a new idea.

I have had chornic constipation for several years, I do everything right-- expercise, ive tried every diet under the sun, magnesium, Vit C, colonics, etc.

I do have Celiac and have been gluten free for almost 3 years. I have also been totally checked out by a GI Dr. I do have low thryoid which is medicated and am in the very high levels in on both T4 and FT3.

High levels of magnesium in combo with Natural Stimulant herbs help sometimes, but nothing I have tired will help me be fully evactuated on a daily basis.

For the last year or so i do a water enema every day, just so I don't have to deal with being constipated and worry about detox. I am really just so sick of this.

Annnnny new thoughts or ideas!? This is SOOO annoying!

Posts: 844 | From CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nomoremuscles
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nomoremuscles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a paralyzed gut. For many years it was my worst symptom. I had to use prescription drugs to get any motility going at all -- along with the daily use of several over-the-counter remedies. I am intolerant to most foods and supps and many meds because of GI problems.

The last few years I have been treating with a coil machine. It has been very helpful for my gut. I have improved greatly. Now I no longer have to use meds to get my gut to move. I am starting to tolerate a few additional foods here and there (though not too much). I can now tolerate probiotics and clay and charcoal -- all things that would have wrecked my gut and caused it to freeze several years ago.

While, my other syx are not much better, and some have gotten worse, this machine has done wonders for my gut.

Also, in the past, many many years ago, levaquin was helpful for a while. As was xifaxin and alinia. But these were all short term fixes.

I know how awful this can be. I hope you find your answers.

Posts: 845 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhitneyS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhitneyS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a coil!

Which frequency did you use? I have stop and go results with the Coil, nothing that seems to have "fixed" the problem. I'm interested to know which frequency you used.

Posts: 844 | From CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i hate to say it but i've taken the pink box laxatives for women from walmart.

it's the only thing that works for me.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhitneyS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25666

oh yes-- lol I know the pink box. I use Dr Schulze-- I highly recomend it. I was just trying to stay away from stimulants for obvious reasons. But if youre going to take one I think Dr Schulze should be the one.
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How much magnesium are you taking? I generally need to take about 5,000mg to keep regular. Regular for me is every few days.

If things get really backed up I have to take Miralax. It is safe to take as much as you need. Once you pass the backed up stool and start to get diarrhea then reduce your next dose.

Miralax is not absorbed by the body, it passes through completely. It works by forming a gel in your intestines to help push out the waste. Miralax is safe to use everyday if needed. It is even used in tiny babies.

Make sure that you are not taking any constipating drugs. Narcotic pain meds are notorious for slowing the bowels. Some other common meds to watch out for are muscle relaxants, antihistamines, sleep meds, anti-anxiety meds, anti nausea meds, and meds to treat urinary incontinence.

Some detox supplements may also cause constipation like calcuim and binders. Make sure that you are getting enough fiber and drink plenty of water.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be sure you use magnesium oxide when using it for this purpose.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhitneyS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25666

In the past Mag Oxide hasnt worked for me, only Mag Citrate. I've gone up to 2,000 mg a day. My Dr didn't want me on more than 1,500 though. It works-ish, sometimes it will sometimes it wont. Miralax wasnt very effective for me either.

I've used all the big guns. At one point my GI had me on Amitiza, Mira-lax, Magnesium all at the same time with no luck at all.

For me going every few days is not enough, I would feel sick if I missed one day, especially with all the toxins from treating.

LSG Scott
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LSG Scott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
turmeric worked wonders to get my GI moving again

took about 4 days to work and then it was amazing

it is a must try for those with GI symptoms
feel better

--------------------
LSG Scott

Posts: 513 | From Boston, Cape Cod, Mass | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhitneyS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25666

I think I've taken Tumeric before, Dr Mercola recommends it. Do you remember what your dose was?
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
miralax didn't do "squat" for me.....lol

if i ever need to go i drink a little lowfat milk. i'll go within an hour.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momindeep
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momindeep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smooth Move tea and colonics might help.
Posts: 1512 | From Glenwood City WI | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wonder why your doctor said not to go over 1,500mg of Mag? My doctor told me to take as much as necessary and he knows that I'm taking 5,000mg now. I'm not saying my doctor is right, I'm asking for my health and safety. I don't want to do harm by taking too much mag.

I also took all those GI meds and more (including a couple experimental ones). At one point I was on 12x the recommended amount of zelnorm, yikes! And it didn't help. So I completely understand your frustration WhitneyS.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too much magnesium can be hard on the kidneys. That might be why the doctor suggested less, I don't know. For me, I have to limit it to about 1000mg a day or I get pain in my kidney area.

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marypart
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marypart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to hijack this thread, but

Has anybody ever found that the gastroparesis/constipation was caused by one of the meds they were taking for Lyme and coinfection treatment?

Mine started AFTER treatment...

Mary

--------------------
Son, 26, Dx Lyme 4/10, Babs 8/10
Had serious arthritis, all gone.
Currently on Valtrex
Daughter, 26,bullseye 7/11
arthritis in knees, cured and off all meds. .
Self:Lyme, bart, sxs gone, no longer treating.

Posts: 496 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhitneyS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25666

Yea sure-- any abx can cause it since it changes your bacteria levels. Pain meds and Anti-depressents can too.

Mine started before I was treated for Lyme :-/

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Drinking mangosteen juice works for me -
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LSG Scott
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LSG Scott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 500mg of turmeric a day and give it a few days to kick in, it was a bowel game changer for me

--------------------
LSG Scott

Posts: 513 | From Boston, Cape Cod, Mass | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chiquita incognita
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whitney,
"Stimulant" herbs which aid digestive tract peristalisis, can be addicting. IE: The body stops doing its own peristaltic motions. Therefore constipation ensues and is worse than before. These herbs are safe for the short term (like two weeks at a time but no more), but not for the longterm. I have seen stubborn constipation cases from people whose bodies were dependent on the laxatives they were taking. They just didn't know about this.

The same holds true with mainstream laxative drugs. Addicting, dependence forming.

I would suggest that *under your doctor's guidance* you look into which products to eliminate first, and just how fast/how much to taper off.

Let your own body's natural bowel-moving function take over again.

Have you heard of the Ayurvedic blend called Triphala? It has three fruits which tonify digestion and aid evacuation but which does not directly stimulate peristalisis, and therefore is *not* addicting. High vitamin C content, if there is any hyperacidity then this will be hard on you. If no hyperacidity then this could be helpful.

PH in the colon can have a lot to do with regularity of movement too. Ask your doctor about this.

Try also marshmallow root (separately from other medications, about three hours apart, so as not to interfere with drug absorption). This softens the linings of the digestive tract and renders them more flexible, therefore evacuation can be more efficient. It does not stimulate peristalisis and will not be addicting.

Try also digestive enzyme supplements. This could help, perhaps, if food assimilation is poor.

Lots of probiotics, these are involved in stool formation.

Specifically, have you tried Saccharomyces Boulardii? These also aid bowel evacuation.

I suspect the stubbornness in your case may be because of too many laxatives (either mainstream drugs or herbals, or both) for too long.

Do you drink lots of water, eat prunes and fiber, take digestive enzymes and marshmallow root *Tea*? Deglycerinated licorice (marked DGL on the bottle) ? Try all these and see what happens.

YOu can also try eating bitter/sour foods prior to meals (like fresh squeezed lemonade, arugula, dandelion leaves etc) these stimulate bile flow from the liver. Bile is involved in stool formation too. Dandelion root tea, artemesinin, grapefruit seed extract, anything really bitter or sour will help to move liver bile along.

See also Elizabeth Lipski, CCN MS's book Digestive Wellness, this is excellent and very thorough .

Try lots of stewed and cooked fruit. Go easy on meats and heavy proteins, these are constipating. Vegetables will help too, both raw and steamed or lightly cooked. Fruits are even better though. Yogurt, kefir, sourcrout, kimchee and other probiotic-rich foods can assist. Use whole grains and not refined, and avoid baked goods. The latter stick to the intestinal walls like glue and increase the problem. Use brown rice and other whole grains for dinner et al, but try to go easy on baked grains even if they are whole grain.

This diet doesn't have to be as spartan as it sounds. Chinese stir-fried foods, ginger, garlic can all help and be tasty. Thai foods could be good too. Lots of garlic, pesto could be helpful! This can be a truly tasty way to live, if you are creative about it. Soups for liquids, stewed fruits for dessert, etc.

Is it possible that even with thyroid therapy you could still be sub-clinical low thyroid? Sometimes the tests can look "normal" but the body says "Hey, I am not a textbook number and for me, I need more of this hormone". Dr Richard Shames says that is just more often the case than not, read his book Thyroid Power and you will understand a lot about the individual thyroid hormones and be able to talk to your doctor in a very detailed way: www.thyroidpower.com Yes the thyroid can have a lot to do with this.

This should all be pre-approved by your doctor before you implement any ideas here, this does not substitute for a doctor's advice.

None of the above information has been evaluated by the FDA and this does not diagnose, cure or prevent any disease.

Best wishes, CI

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhitneyS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25666

Hi there,
No I think you are confused-- I am NOT taking any laxatives, at all. Over the last few years, and when the constipation started I took some here and there, but did not abuse them, and have not taken any in the last two years.

When this started I was a vegan who ran 50-60 miles a week. So yes-- water, fiber, exercise, and every diet imaginable.

I have also tried triphala and marshmallow root, digestive bitters before meals, and I do probiotics, also make home made yogurt and water kefir.

chiquita incognita
Unregistered

WOw, you are doing a lot Whitney!

Are you aware that enemas too can be habit forming and weaken the body's own peristalisis? Again if used for the short term they are perfectly healthy and helpful, but if routine then the problems begin.
Sorry for any misunderstanding prior, I must have misread something you wrote.

Best wishes, CI ps it sounds like you know an awful lot if you have done triphala and digestive bitters et al. I know of one woman who had a stubborn case of acid reflux and I was stumped. The ND I was working with said that it was because of her hysterectomy and low levels of estrogen, which caused the lining of her digestive tract to be too thin (and the veins in her hands were showing clearly too). I don't know how this applies to constipation but thinking out loud, I would think that it could because if the digestive tract lining is thin, then there will be many problems. I don't know if this is the case with you but thought I would offer this. The ND put her on black cohosh and bio-identical hormones to help her out. Just a stab in the dark.

chiquita incognita
Unregistered

Another book:

Foundations of Health by Christopher Hobbs.

Cleansing, diet and herb info. He is one of the most respected herbalists world-wide and may have some solutions for you in the book?

His booklet Natural Therapy for your Liver, ditto?

Digestive Wellness by Elizabeth Lipski, CCN MS very good

Leaky Gut Syndrome by Elizabeth Lipski, CCN MS exellent

Vegan eh? Could it be that you need some more protein to fluff up the muscles and make them stronger for peristaltic action? Just a thought.

Best, CI

Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you taking:

Vitamin B12?

Calcium?

I've found for me that too much probiotics constipates me...

I've also found that my probiotics work better when I take them with half a glass (or more) of water.

Have you tried Interferential Current treatments on your abdomen to stimulate and re-train the bowels how to have normal parastalsis? I've done this for about half a year and it has made a huge difference (was always constipated prior to these treatments, despite trying everything under the sun and then some). I haven't needed a treatment in several months.

Also you might want to look into food sensitivities...sometimes they can cause constipation.

Inflammation in the bowels can also cause constipation...

Have you been evaluated for motility disorders?

Have you tried Reglan or Domperidone (must get this from Canada, but it is safer than Reglan in the oral form)? These pro-motility medications help improve slow digestive systems.

Electrolyte imbalance can also lead to smooth muscle issues.

Smooth muscle spasms can cause decreased effective parastalsis, and in such individuals, a smooth muscle relaxant can actually help relieve the constipation. Benadryl is a smooth muscle relaxant (anti-cholinergic).

There's also the flip side of acetylcholine deficiency (fix with choline supplementation, or ask your doctor about trying Mestinon, a drug that promotes higher levels of acetylcholine in the muscles).

Please discuse the above things with your doctor(s) before trying any of them...

I hope this helps...take care,

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chiquita incognita
Unregistered

Magnesium relaxes muscles where calcium contracts them, writes Paul Pitchford in his book Healing with Whole Foods.

Calcium would tend to be constipating, actually. Magnesium citrate: Is this the form you are doing, Whitney? Could be more helpful than other forms thereof.

If your GI doc is not helping you, perhaps consider a new doc or a new approach, or a combined one. I wonder if acupuncture could help to get things moving? Self-acupressure massage? You could ask your acupuncturist for pressure points you can do on yourself.

Christopher Hobbs was writing in his book Foundations of Health that cold enemas can get digestive contractions going. (Maybe start with cool to test for tolerance?)

If you are interested in an ND, you can find one here in your area: www.naturopathic.org

Best wishes, CI

WhitneyS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25666

You guys are AWESOME! Thanks for the replies!

I started doing the enemas about 1 1/2 years into the constipation--- and I mean-- not going to the bathroom EVER on my own.

I think I went 10 days once, I was in so much pain and so uncomfortable. When I do them-- I do a full quart enema so it does help peristalsis a bit, because you have to push the water out. But yes-- I'd prefer not to do them....which is why Im writting :-)

The strange thing that leads me to believe this is because of the lyme is that sometimes under different medications my GI will return to 100% normal! For about a month and then like a light switch--STOP. It literally happens likes a switch. So that makes me think..ok... it CAN work, its not something that is structural, or diet related.

So I feel like everything works. When I went in for Colonics the lady said I have very strong peristalsis...which was also interesting...

I have not tried Reglan. Maybe I'll talk to my Dr about this.

I did do acupuncture, both 5th element acupuncture and traditional. I did also try Choline. The micro-current treatment DO work! My N.D. has one and I am now going to be using it weekly-- so that will be good!

**PS im not vegan any more :-)

Thanks for all of your thoughts.

marypart
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marypart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More info on gastroparesis:

American Gastroenterological Association Technical Review on the Diagnosis and Treatment of Gastroparesis GASTROENTEROLOGY 2004; 127:1592�1622
http://download.journals.elsevierhealth.com/pdfs/journals/0016-5085/PIIS0016508504016348.pdf

�Whiffs� of Carbon Monoxide Reverse Digestive Problem Common with Diabetes - Gastroparesis
June 2, 2009

http://www.prohealth.com/diabetes/library/showarticle.cfm?libid=14577

Traditional Chinese:

http://ip.com/sipoen/101530592

A blog with some info

http://www.gnorb.net/1045/buying-medications-online

--------------------
Son, 26, Dx Lyme 4/10, Babs 8/10
Had serious arthritis, all gone.
Currently on Valtrex
Daughter, 26,bullseye 7/11
arthritis in knees, cured and off all meds. .
Self:Lyme, bart, sxs gone, no longer treating.

Posts: 496 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pam08
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pam08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a thought...what about parasites? Have you treated for those? Just wondering if that could also cause this problem.

--------------------
Sick since 10/2001. Tested CDC positive for Lyme 10/2008 through Quest and Igenex. Started treatment 1/2009 with LLMD. Lyme, Erichilosis, Chlamydophila Pneumoniae, Q Fever, Strep Syndrome and probably a few others I am forgetting.

Posts: 451 | From Virginia | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chiquita incognita
Unregistered

Whitney, the on-off switch as you describe it makes me wonder. It is very dangerous for me to diagnose, I am only a lay person and this is contra-indicated. So without offering any diagnosis whatsoever, this is only a question to ask your doctor:

I wonder if the nervous system could be involved?

Would this be why the lyme is affecting it and you are responding favorably to certain lyme medications?

Could it be that other medications are causing this problem?

Have you kept a medical journal?

NOte your responses within hours but also several days after taking...supplements, foods, medications...

My NP said that food allergies can sometimes take 48 hours to manifest, on a delayed basis.

When you chart it a pattern may begin to emerge. You could do this in conjunction with discussions iwth your doctor.

Did you see my question previously about possible hormone impact in this matter? Check out what the ND had said (in htis case it was a lady with acid reflux, but it's all digestively related you know). See also about cold or cool enemas above.

Best wishes, CI ps depending on what the doc says, if the nervous system is involved then you might investigate further. Herbs to block neurotoxins indicated? Herbs to tonify the nervous system indicated? Talk to your integrative doctor or naturopath about this www.naturopathic.org

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reglan can cause tardive dyskinesia. It can become a permanent problem.

It began doing that to me (I was taking it for acid reflux) and if it had not been for an ad on TV, I would never have known that my twitches were from the Reglan.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhitneyS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25666

Yes I kept a very detailed food, symptom, supplement journal for the first 2 years. I know it has nothing to do with food or supplements. I have literally tried EVERY diet for several months and have had no change at all in symptoms.

Lyme can cause Bells Palsy of the Gut, bartonella can cause GI issues too. So thats what I do think is the cause, because literally every other stone has been unturned.

For hormones-- mine used to be VERY low, I have been treated and now my levels are back to normal-- prog, estrogen, test, thyroid. Thyroid adjustment helps me not feel full all the time, and relieves a lot of pain, and has given me a chance to have a BI-- but nothing normal.

I will ask about the nervous system. I dont think I have any other nervous system symptoms that I am aware of...but maybe, I'll do some Googling.

Parasites-- I have done some treatment. I was on Parastroy for about 3 months and also take Alinia, which takes care of parasites too. I havent done the 6 month block of parasite herbs which I may start doing. Of course all tests are normal, but I do have high inflammation markers. I think im going to start using my Rife machine too for some treatment.

chiquita incognita
Unregistered

Whitney, I really think this is doctor' s material and an ND would be best in this situation. I don't mean to sound so biased but it's true, they are really good with GI stuff and in particular, so are the herbs and homeopathics.

Are there neurotoxins affecting the nervous system's command of peristaltic action? Something to ask your doctor about.

How would one block those lyme-related toxins?

Buhner's book may have lots of solutions for you here and milk thistle comes to mind immediately too.

It would be interesting to chart when the "on" Switch comes back on in your medical journal, connecting it to medications et al, diet, etc.

Medications can cause stubborn constipation as side effects, in some cases. I would strongly suggest you inquire about your current meds with your doctor.

Some ABX can also cause irritable bowel and it doesn't sound like that is your issue? But if they can cause that then can't they also cause this kind of constipation issue too? Something to find out from your doctor.

Have you considered or tried homeopathics too? The B+T (Boericke and Teufel) homeopathic materia medica is online and you can look up remedies for free. But it's wise to have professional supervision because with homeopathics you really do need to know what you are doing, and mistakes can be made. Careful there.

Best wishes, CI

Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme/coinfections have shut down my GI tract (the whole thing, or sometimes just parts of it) on more than one occasion. I think it is from a combination of nerve and muscle issues that are related to damage caused by the bugs and the toxins they make. See http://www.thehumansideoflyme.net/viewarticle.php?aid=62 for more details.

On the calcium, I find I get constipated with too little or too much calcium...there has to be some kind of balance with magnesium for me or else my gut still doesn't want to function normally.

Also, the form of calcium one uses can make a difference. In my experience, calcium carbonate is very constipating, but calcium ascorbate and calcium d-glucarate don't seem to be as much...

I'm unable to take calcium citrate due to sulfites in the "citrate" part of the calcium citrate.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhitneyS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25666

Yes I do see a ND hes my treating Dr. Also I have been to a homeopath. I am actually on Buhner herbal protocol now, and have also taken milk thistle

:-( i wish there was like a light bulb moment, so suddenly we could fix it.

Razzle
Member # 30398

Many of the herbs in Buhner's protocol are constipating...

Perhaps it would be interesting to see if your homeopath would be willing to spend more time investigating homeopathic solutions for your sluggish bowels? I've had some positive things come from homeopathy when I am able to determine the right remedy, potency, and dosing schedule.

Have you tried a careful gluten-free diet for an entire year (it takes at least 12 months for gluten to be removed from the brain/nervous system)? Many people in the Celiac community think they've eliminated all sources of gluten only to discover cross-contamination or some sneaky ingredient in something they've been eating for some time has been exposing them to enough gluten to perpetuate the inflammatory response and prevent them from getting well.

Just thinking "out loud"... Take care,

--------------------
-Razzle

WhitneyS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25666

Yes--- I have Celiac, and have been 100% GF for over 3 years. If ANY gluten got into my food I would KNOW it, and I dont eat any pacakged food anyways, so itd be pretty impossible.

I just started the buhner herbs, and have had the constipation for several years. So there is no connection.

When the constipation started I was on no supplements, no abx, I took nothing but a multi-vitamin. So its not related to any food, supplmement or activity level.

I'll ask my homoepath again about the constipation, but the way homeopathic remedies work is usually for a list of symptoms and feelings, not one thing or another. Maybe he can think of some other things too though, I'll ask :-)

chiquita incognita
Unregistered

Razzle
Are you aware of what calcium d-glucarate is used for?

Estrogen blocking.

This is not like other calcium supplements, caution.

You are right about the calcium carbonate, in fact it can rob your body of calcium even as it is metabolized! A bad form to use. Citrate is good.

As for the Buhner herbs being constipating:

Who told you that? Which ones are you thinking of?

Bitter herbs (andrographis, artemesia, GSE etc) will all be movement promoting, not constipating. They enhance bile flow from the liver which aids bowel moving.

Why would these herbs be constipating? I am intersted to know which ones you are thinking of , and why.

Thanks, CI

Razzle
Member # 30398

CI,

As I said above, I'm unable to take calcium citrate due to sulfites in the "citrate" part of the calcium citrate. So what form can I take safely? I cannot find a calcium supplement that does not contain citrates, carbonates or other ingredients I'm allergic to, and I cannot eat broccoli (sulfur intolerance) or other leafy greens (some other kind of intolerance) for it. I don't absorb calcium from dairy products. And my estrogen levels were fine a couple months ago... Would it also block xenoestrogens?

Buhner says the side-effects of his herbs in his book, that's where I got the info on the constipation issue from his herbs. Have you read his book?

Take care,

--------------------
-Razzle

raw vegan runner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for raw vegan runner   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHitney, I think you are my long lost (lyme) twin sister...right down to the vegan/50-60mpw thing...I completely sympathize with you as I am going through the same thing...
Posts: 206 | From In the shadow of a mountain | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhitneyS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25666

Lol-- Yes Raw vegan runner! We are totally twins!

I'm not vegan anymore because I have Celiac-- so its hard to be both vegan and gluten free. I hope I find an answer, but I really suspect that its caused by the Lyme and when the lyme clears, hopefully my GI will too....until then I will try Everything!

chiquita incognita
Unregistered

Hi Razzle
thanks for this response! I have just begun to read Buhner's book, and will look for this. I was surprised, I can imagine herbs causing some diarrhea on occasion in high dosages but not constipation. Hmmm, will read further. Thanks!

As for the food sensitivities, perhaps it's the synthetics that can set people off across the board. I have seen people do very well with the food-grown probiotic-cultivated supplements, like those by New CHapter Organics or those blended by Healthforce Nutritionals. I have more experience (working with the public) with the New CHapter product so let me stick with that.

The point that New Chapter makes is that our body does not recognize synthetic (vitamin supplements) as food. So we dont' even utilize much of it, and we get more mileage out of the food-cultivated product. Our body can metabolize it better, and with less of a harsh impact.

I wonder how you might do if trying those products?

I can never make any guarantees to anybody because we are all different, but am just thinking out loud. Worth a try?

Best, CI ps not sure which exact estrogens are blocked by calcium d-glucarate. That would be a good question to ask your doctor.

Razzle
Member # 30398

CI,

Yes, I know about the difference between synthetic vs. non-synthetic nutrition. I won't use the term "natural" because it has become meaningless... I used to take the excellent quality supplements from Wachter's Organic Sea Products (no, I'm not selling them - was just a customer a long time ago) but became allergic to alfalfa and they spray all their supplements with alfalfa or have alfalfa as an ingredient.

I've experience constipation from marshmallow root...I know, it's not supposed to do that, but it does a good job of plugging up my guts.

I have found that I need fiber if I take something with mucilagenous properties. I don't know if this is just me, or what. I have a tendency to react the opposite of what would be expected (e.g., the caffeine in black tea used to put me to sleep when I could still tolerate it).

From http://www.newchapter.com/targeted-vitamins-nutrients/cal-mag-bone-health

"All of our vitamins and minerals are cultured in organic soy" ~ I'm very, very allergic to soy, especially fermented soy (cultured soy), so I would not be able to use this company's supplements at all.

I looked at the Healthforce Nutritionals website and they say their products are gluten free but then they put wheat grass, oat grass & barley grass in their stuff. Sorry, but the chance of crosscontamination with grass seed (where the gluten is) is too high. And also I have tried to take products containing oat grass and become quite ill from it (I'm allergic to oats).

Also, this company uses raw ingredients, and I tend to react worse to raw versions of things. I can't eat any raw foods without getting sick.

Thanks, but I'll pass.

Take care,

--------------------
-Razzle

map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did a search today for Amitiza my GI has put me on for constipation. He asked why I disappeared from seeing him 3 yrs ago when I had so many issues?

I was truthful with him, he's a friend first and doc second.....I told him I got discouraged because he wasn't helping me solve my constipation issues.

How does one got from days of constipation to a day where they have llose bowel movements for hours. My GI isssues can make me miss doing life.

My bowels can and will control me and how close I want to be near a toilet at all times. Also I know I have a bacteria that controls my GI.

I wanted help identifying the bacteria and of course everything came up negative. Parasites no.
Celaic disease no. Nothing found in my colon but some gastritis and possible IBS? Well crap (pun intended) I knew that before the endoscopy and colonoscopy.

This GI friend knows and believes my ordeal with Lyme & co.....he just didn't know for sure how to help me. I should have known not to give up on him.

Of course he's wanting me to do Miralax with Amitiza. 8mg. I've been on it and Miralax since last Friday. I will be hopeful that this will help me.

I cannot go thru another compacted bowel episode. I've got his emergency kit suggestions for me to have in case. I told him I will not go to ER for enema. He told me I did a good job by myself for the first time and I do not need ER to help me, God forbid if it happens again.

So now I'm starting my research to see what this Big Pharma drug is called Amitiza before I get to far into. He gave me a bunch of samples.

I do have thyroid issues. Hypo and now Hashimoto's, so I know that hormones can cause bowel issues also.

This has been going on since sometime late in '05. I was tick bitten anew 5/05 by a lone star nymph.

So begin a new nightmare(since '98/99)when lyme disease happened. Reading this thread makes me realize how helpful CI could have been for many on this site.

CI got herself booted off the board. I wish that wouldn't have happened. Some of us are pretty passionate about our ideals and beliefs on how to help ourselves and others get improvment with lyme & co.

I just found this thread worth bringing to the front page. I know I'mnot the only one with GI issues that are horrible part of the big picture puzzle.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whitney, have you tried drinking mangosteen juice yet?
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhitneyS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25666

I haven't tried mangosteen....Where do you think I can find it?

Do you know why it helped you?

scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorpiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried juicing or castor oil packs? 4 hours of the castor oil pack and I'm cleaned out. But it do it to detox my liver since I don't have the constipation problems.

I eat mangosteens but never had the juice. Although I'm aware of the many health benefits I have never heard of it helping w/ constipation. I know it helps if you had diarrhea. I would eat more but they are very very expensive!

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1391 | From Lyme Land | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Scorpio.. the inside of the mangosteens do not have much medicinal value. It is the RIND that is the key.

I recently found GREAT help by taking Aloe Vera GEL caplets. Nature's Herb brand. Vitacost only has the 25 mg. I found the 50mg at our health food store. It has made a big difference for me.

I can't drink the aloe vera juice because it always contains citric acid, which I can't handle.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. Natura helped my symptoms a lot. If you've had GI problems for a while, it might help clean you out so you can start fresh.

You also might want to look at parasite cleanses and/or triphala.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorpiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The rind thing is nasty!! [Smile] When I first learned to eat it I didn't know which part was edible so I tried eating the rind and just couldn't do it! Problem is where do you find quality mangosteen juices in the US. Well I can't afford too many mangosteens anyway... I think I paid $15 for 5 little ones!

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1391 | From Lyme Land | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Whitney, the mangosteen juice is sold in healthfood stores and online. There are lots of juice versions. I like the Ultra one from Trace Minerals and also mango-xan. I get the Ultra one most cheaply from vitacost. The strongest in Xango and it's sold multi-level.

It emptied out my intestines for three days when I started drinking it, and now continues to keep my intestines regular.

If you try it, drink water too, and go slowly, as it can be powerful.

Other things it did in the beginning: stopped all Lyme eye symptoms in 24 hours, made my sinuses run for two days and stopped gum bleeding in my mouth.

By now, you must be thinking that's pretty powerful stuff! It's because it has 43 xanthone compounds in it from the rind that scarf up all the free radicals created by inflammation, so in a simple phrase, it reduces inflammation in the body.

And this is for you too, Scorpio - the juice companies have a technology for extracting the rind's xanthones - that's why the juices work.

Still, we're all different in our responses and each of us has to find what's going to work for us.

WhitneyS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25666

OK! I'll try out the Mangosteen.

I have dont castor oil packs with no avail, I have thought about doing Dr Nutra, but since I dont reallly respond to stimulants I dont know it would help. I have done colonics in a series (like 1 a day for a few days) and it hasn't helped either.

The more I think about it the more I think it has to do with either nerves or the actual nervous system. I have gotten my heavy metal test back and some are extremely high, like Aluminum which can cause constipation. I've been chelating for about 3 months now and its only 10% lower, and no improvement with GI.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Scorpio ... Google "original mangosteen juice"

You can't eat the rinds. But they are found in high quality mangosteen juices. Buy the ORIGINAL brand. (Xango)

[ 06-22-2011, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

Lymetoo, well that's good to know you can't eat the rinds b/c it tasted awful!!

I will have to find a good source to try the juice for I do love the taste of the meat but if most of the xanthones are in the rinds then eating them is not as beneficial. Well that explains why they are so expensive since they are like the queen of all fruits.

--------------------
 -

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Yes! The queen of all fruits .. with good reason.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement