LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » American Lyme Disease Foundation.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: American Lyme Disease Foundation.
steve1906
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16206

Icon 3 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
American Lyme Disease Foundation

http://www.aldf.com/faq.shtml

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why are you posting that %$#@ .. just to make me mad!?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought that would get your attention!

I think it�s good for people to see how � some � write about Lyme Disease.

If it upsets you that much, I have no problem at all deleting the post�

--------------------

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stillwater
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stillwater         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This site is run by Steere and the Worm...

I think it's good that this was posted.

People need to be aware of the propaganda being put out by these a-holes...

Posts: 699 | From confusion | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me answer that for Lymetoo>
!*!*!* Ditto-Ditto-Ditto!*!*!*

--------------------

RESOLVED.
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RESOLVED.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THAT IS OUTRAGEOUS!!!!! Why do I never get used to reading these lies?? I still get so upset when I read this stuff. Some poor, sick, undiagnosed Lyme patient is going to buy into this sh*%.

I've gotta go read something happy!! It is good, however, to see what's out there.

Posts: 246 | From south florida | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stillwater:
This site is run by Steere and the Worm...

I think it's good that this was posted.

People need to be aware of the propaganda being put out by these *****...

-
Very true...!! It's GOOD that you posted it, steve!

I was heading out the door when I saw that and just had to say SOMETHING!! [Razz]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm always amazed at how WRONG they are. Sure..90% of us get the EM rash. sigh.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I happened upon this site the other day. What a disgrace...I'm ashamed that this place set up shop in CT.

They've referenced research by Wormser and his cronies too.

Everyone should send this site a sharp but respectful email.

Kudos to Steve for pointing out this crock of nonsense...

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To put it nicely...

This is where scum floats off to when it croaks.

[lol]

I like how they have recommended articles for people's viewing pleasure and the best they can come up with is the Forbes trash and other 4th rate garbage.

Yeah, REAL professional. NOT!

[toilet]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[toilet]

[puke]

This sums up my feelings.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just because these guys (wormser, steere, et. al.) put themselves up on pedistals and flash their credentials, I don't believe anything they say...because "even rectal thermometers have many degrees"...

[the quote is from a doctor who presented at a conference my Mom went to a few years ago]

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CountryMouse
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32073

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CountryMouse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this site is crap, and they probably won't respond, but I sent a "respectful criticism" letter to the site anyway. It bounced back as undeliverable. I tried again, emailing the director this time. So far it hasn't come back. We'll see.

The research they are referencing, besides being incorrect, is over 10 years old in some cases. Unfortunately, they are one of the first sites that come up on a google search, so they are getting a lot of traffic probably from people who are newly diagnosed. That sucks.

Also, I found it interesting that the site is a .com rather than a .org. If they are a 501C, why aren't they an .org?

--------------------
Country Mouse

6/2011 IgX:
IGG: 31 IND, 41+++, 45+, 58+
IGM: 31+, 39 IND, 41 IND, 83-93 IND
Band 31 confirmed to be Lyme epitope by Igenex 7/2011

8/2011 IgX: POSITIVE
IGG: 31+, 34 IND, 39 IND, 41++, 45+, 58+
IGM: 31+, 34 IND, 39 IND, 41++, 83-93+

Posts: 169 | From Western Mass | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
outerspace1226
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for outerspace1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Odd, the only website I've ever seen without a "Contact Us" link.
Posts: 147 | From youngstown | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course they are going to say crap like that. The kickbacks must be awesome. POS

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
It is very important that all lyme patients know the difference in the LDF and the LDA.

Some new to lyme may not know this. I called the LDF early on and was dumbfounded by what a phone volunteer there told me (they had a volunteer line years ago) -

I was told by the LDF: "Chronic lyme does not exist, it's just not possible. You must be dealing with something else. You'll probably feel better when you get more involved with life".

So, this thread helps when someone new to lyme stumbles upon the LDF site - or when their doctor, friend or family member says "See, the LDF say lyme is no big deal."

My father trusted the LDF and their experts, the IDSA, and decided that THEY were correct, not me. He was an attorney and it seemed standard to go to the IDSA for information.

After his death, it was clear that he would have been in the financial situation to help me. But he thought I was a malingerer because of what he read from the LDF / IDSA.

The humiliation of that is not about money or (possible) missed chances for treatment but that he did not know me well enough to trust me or think the head on my shoulders was wise enough to do proper research.

Our relationship suffered greatly because he could not trust me after reading from LDF / IDSA materials. THAT was the real sadness.

For those new to all this, the proper organization, based in truth about tick borne infections and respect for those affected:

---------

http://www.lymediseaseassociation.org/

Lyme Disease ASSOCIATION

as they are connected with ILADS ( www.ilads.org ) as their medical advisors.

www.lymedisease.org

Lyme Disease.org - also a good educational site.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CountryMouse
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32073

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CountryMouse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Need some advice here. This is the response I got back regarding a letter I sent to the ALDF Director. I need someone who knows more than I do to tell me what they think:

Dear XX,

Since the FAQ section has not been revised since 2003, I will ask
someone to review that material to determine if any revisions and/or additions
are needed. In the mean time, I will try to answer some of your
questions.

Bands representing OspA (p31) and OspB (p34)are indeed specific for Borrelia; however, these proteins are synthesized only when Borrelia are grown: (a) on artificial laboratory media; or, (b) in the midgut of ticks. These proteins are not produced -- or produced in only extremely small quantities during human infection. The reason antibodies against these proteins are not used in CDC and FDA-approved diagnsotic tests is that antibodies against other cell-surface
antigens, which comprised the CDC criteria for evaluating diagnostic tests,
are produced in greater abundance. One should consider a test that was positive for antibodies vs p31 and p34, but not 5 of any of the other 10 bands considered by the CDC for a positive IgG Western blot, to be falsely positive. Such results just don't make sense.

These observations re: OspA provided the rationale for the OspA-based LYMErx vaccine in which immunization of humans results in the production of antibody vs OspA. When infected ticks take a blood meal containing antibodies vs OspA, Borrelia are killed in the midgut of ticks and thus prevented from migrating to the salivary glands where they then can gain access to humans and initiate an infection. Thus, LYMErx is a transmission-blocking vaccine and not a conventional vaccine (e.g., like a flu shot) that prevents active infection. If antibodies vs OspA and OspB had diagnostic value, such a vaccine would never have been developed and even considerd for use in humans.

The CDC does not claim that the results of conventional tests for the diagnosis of Lyme disease are inaccurate. Rather, they note that the results obtained depend greatly on when specimens are tested during the course of infection. Little or no antibody is produced during the first 2-3 weeks of infection; consequently, the frequency of seropositivity is low at that time and that is why serological testing is not recommended in patients with an EM lesion that occurs about that time. It has been reported that only 29% of patients with EM have acute-phase samples with positive IgM or IgG antibody responses to B. burgdorferi, whereas 64% have convalescent-phase samples with positive responses, 3-4 weeks later (Clin Infect Dis.47: 188-195, 2008). The sensitivity of 2-tiered testing (ELISA and Western blot) for patients with disseminated or persistent Lyme disease increases to 100% after 3-4 weeks. Similar results were obtained by other investigators using the relatively new VlsE C6 peptide ELISA. Thus, when properly used and the results interpreted by criteria established by the CDC, conventional FDA-approved diagnostic tests for Lyme disease are reliable and perform well for all manifestations of Lyme disease, except EM, which should -- for reasons cited above-- be diagnosed based on visual inspection. Only validated and standardized tests should be used for the diagnosis of Lyme disease; a listing of such test (there are a total of 42) may be found on the ALDF website.

Most of your question having to do with treatment can be answered by
checking the IDSA guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of Lyme
disease. These guidelines are posted on the ALDF website and were not available until 2006.

Although some physicians advocate treating with antibiotics until symptoms disappear, there is a publication(Ann. Intern. Med. 107; 725-731) showing that, in patients with persistent arthritis and in the absence of any further antibiotic treatment, the symptoms of arthritis gradually subside with time and are gone by 9 years after antibiotic therapy. Although that happens for patients with persistent arthritic symptoms, it also appears to be the case for those with persistent neurological symptoms as well. Thus, although a short course of antibiotic therapy will cure infection, the symptoms due to tissue damage take time to heal.

Sincerely,

Phillip J. Baker, Ph.D.
Executive Director

--------------------
Country Mouse

6/2011 IgX:

Posts: 169 | From Western Mass | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I can't read the whole letter but jumped to the end, summing it up,

Quote: "Thus, although a short course of antibiotic therapy will cure infection, the symptoms due to tissue damage take time to heal." (end quote).

Yes, tissue damage can take time to heal - or it may NEVER heal unless the infection is addressed. And, even with treatment, there is a chance of permanent damage.

Also, how in the world is nine years out of someones' life acceptable for pain?

I strong disagree with them. And there are many medical citations to prove them wrong.

The WONK person at www.lymedisease.org has so many good articles to address that letter.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.lymedisease.org/news/lymepolicywonk/index.1.html

Blogs: Lyme Policy Wonk & Hard Science on Lyme

Lorraine Johnson, JD, MBA
-

CountryMouse
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32073

Thanks Keebler. Will check out your links.

Mostly I've been trying to figure out why he thinks OspA and OspB are not good markers. I found at least one study that showed that they persist in 10% of people with chronic Lyme.

I get that OspA changes as the spirochetes leave the tick's gut, but if I wasn't vaccinated with Lymerix, then how would OspA get into me? Ugh.

--------------------
Country Mouse

6/2011 IgX:

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
It is not based in fact. That is just deceit to:

1) further ruin the test for those with chronic persistent lyme and

2) cover their tails about the vaccine having given MANY people lyme.
-

outerspace1226
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for outerspace1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My original MD pulled me to the side and showed me this site on his laptop to comfort me that 21 days of Doxycycline would knock this petty little infection out of my system.
Posts: 147 | From youngstown | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Yep, amazing that the LDF never heard of how doxy can put the spirochetes into cyst from within 20 minutes - and doxy does not work on the cyst form of borrelia.
-

outerspace1226
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34274

Here is the ALDF.com's administrative contact:

Her name is Francesica. I called and just got her Voicemail, but it's 8:30 here and obviously after business hrs.

ALDF.COM
Administrative Contact:

Francesica Tizard ([email protected])

Phone: +1.2037853223
Fax: +1.2037853604

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement